Malicious Attacks on Websites

Community Issues

Moderators: Col. Khaddafi, ( G_R )

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:38 am

maybe he was hacked
Originally posted by Galspanic on MTGS
I would still like to see the posts sent over to ( N_S ) and have the Salvation Gutter archived away and replaced with a link to MTGC.
Thank you for all the lies. Another fine display of integrity by iridium :thumbsup:

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:38 am

Jesus Christ is a gimmick. Tell the churches.
whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
it's not cheating if you hand her the jizz afterwards
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:40 pm

I...

Imma take a time out, then I'll respond.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Common sense is now a mythic rare

Postby Pendulum » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:26 pm

Okay, let's look at this objectively. There are two probably scenarios. 1) Feyd is lying. 2) Feyd is telling the truth. Keep in mind I have no vested interest in Feyd's well-being, and am willing to treat this like we were on friendly terms.

1. If Feyd is lying, then that is the end of it. I will eventually hear back from TWC's legal department, and they will have done what needs to be done. He is a simple scumbag, and should probably post here more.

2. If Feyd is telling the truth, and I believe he is, then what we have here is a dumbass with the knowledge base to run background rootkits while he's downloading pr0n and had an oops moment after having taken down a few too many shots of Jack Daniels (he is in Kentucky, after all). Perfectly forgivable, and in the spirit of his username here I have gone ahead and done so in my heart. Hell, I'm guilty of doing the same, and
would shake his hand as a fellow grey-hat prone to instability (though of course up here we're more prone to the Norwegian and German liquors). Welcome to the world of the pit and the pendulum, Feyd, it's good to have some company.
However, addendum to that spirit of forgiveness, I am led to say the following: this action should have consequences, Feyd. When I was given moderator privileges here, I took it upon myself to think about the possibilities, to think on what might happen if, as happened here, I had an oops moment, and only the good Lord knows what might have happened if I hadn't stepped down. You continue to risk that with your enhanced privileges over at MTGS... you have accepted, in humility, that you are capable of making silly, stupid mistakes, and over here we are few and able to accept them; yet if you are venting off errors over there you risk much more than our little encampment. Will you not follow through on your admission of failure with action to make it right? You cannot
know the cost of your actions, is it not best to protect the many from your times of instability? Will you not step down from your moderator position on MTGS to be right with the world, to give them the validity they so desire?

Think on your actions, Feyd. If you were a normal user of MTGS, would you like to hear that one of your superiors is a guy who accidentally runs hacking programs while they're browsing?

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Wanna join a clan, btw? I like your style.

Tom Servo
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:36 pm

I blame the Jews
Eric, Ren and Jensen were activists
Heads loaded with theory, their hearts are filled with passion
Shared the same left wing politics
Liked the same music, they were part of the protest movement
Now, Anna presented herself as a feminist
Studied the way they talked and dressed
Fashioned herself an anarchist
Eric fell in love with Anna at the meeting of the crime think conference
He didn't know it but Anna was an FBI informant

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

RE: Common sense is now a mythic rare

Postby ( G_R ) » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:44 pm

tl;dr: give us leaks and we're cool.
That explains why people keep coming over for chicken nuggets

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:45 pm

Feyd/Jesus, if you have time to answer that question I've made, I'd like to ask you one or two more things if that isn't too much of an inconvenience. I might share one or two things with you and/or the guests to make it for your time.
I would still like to see the posts sent over to ( N_S ) and have the Salvation Gutter archived away and replaced with a link to MTGC.
Thank you for all the lies. Another fine display of integrity by iridium :thumbsup:

Tom Servo
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:47 pm

Quick! Everyone worship false gods and tuck your weiners! We need to clear the lines for scumbag

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:49 pm

Rabbi, is there a proper blessing for the czar?

A blessing for the czar? Of course! *sings
May God bless and keep the czar...
far away from us.

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:10 pm

Well it seems Jesus just won't speak with Scumbags :(

Prolly had a bad experience last time with that Barrabás guy.

Jesus
Newcomer

Postby Jesus » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:45 pm

oh and no, Feyd never applied to be a curse technician.
Feyd applied to be a technician before curse took over, to help hannes out, so he wouldn't have to sell.
(this was before Feyd knew the curse deal was done)
Out of curiosity, how would this work out? Why having you help Hannes would have precluded the sale? :confused:
As I understood it then, Hannes was considering selling because he did not have time to do everything needed for the forums. As I had previously helped him
on this front back in MTGS early days, I offered my services again as an alternative to selling, if that would do it and he wanted to keep going with it. I'm not sure on the timeline, but the curse sale was already in the works I believe. Honestly, you all knew more from the leaks than I did. I missed the whole gutter leak era.
Okay, let's look at this objectively. There are two probably scenarios. 1) Feyd is lying. 2) Feyd is telling the truth. Keep in mind I have no vested interest in Feyd's well-being, and am willing to treat this like we were on friendly terms.

1. If Feyd is lying, then that is the end of it. I will eventually hear back from TWC's legal department, and they will have done what needs to be done. He is a simple scumbag, and should probably post here more.

2. If Feyd is telling the truth, and I believe he is, then
what we have here is a dumbass with the knowledge base to run background rootkits while he's downloading pr0n and had an oops moment after having taken down a few too many shots of Jack Daniels (he is in Kentucky, after all). Perfectly forgivable, and in the spirit of his username here I have gone ahead and done so in my heart. Hell, I'm guilty of doing the same, and would shake his hand as a fellow grey-hat prone to instability (though of course up here we're more prone to the Norwegian and German liquors). Welcome to the world of the pit and the pendulum, Feyd, it's good to have some company.
However, addendum to that spirit of forgiveness, I am led to say the following: this action should have consequences, Feyd. When I was given moderator privileges here, I took it upon myself to think about the possibilities, to think on what might happen if, as happened here, I had an oops moment, and only the good Lord knows what might have happened if I hadn't stepped down. You continue to risk that
with your enhanced privileges over at MTGS... you have accepted, in humility, that you are capable of making silly, stupid mistakes, and over here we are few and able to accept them; yet if you are venting off errors over there you risk much more than our little encampment. Will you not follow through on your admission of failure with action to make it right? You cannot know the cost of your actions, is it not best to protect the many from your times of instability? Will you not step down from your moderator position on MTGS to be right with the world, to give them the validity they so desire?

Think on your actions, Feyd. If you were a normal user of MTGS, would you like to hear that one of your superiors is a guy who accidentally runs hacking programs while they're browsing?
My "actions" were benign. Thinking on them is not much more than saying "oops."
I know some of the people here know sql. They can confirm that the select statement does absolutely
nothing.
(I believe this is where the problem is. People here "sql injection" and automatically think malware, viruses, and mass murder)
Sure, that doesn't confirm that it was an automatically run addon, but it confirms nothing malign was ever attempted.
And if I'm not doing something malign, then I'm not doing something malign.

If the idea is that I was going to do something malign... then why has it been 8 months without anything?
If the powers that be here don't want me to come back, they have the power to ban me.
I'll abide by that decision.

I know comparing this to the gutter isn't nice anymore, but where we came from matters.
I was part of that subcommunity since its inception. A lost of the original members are gone, and good chunk the people here weren't around in its start.
But the same could be said about MTGS and anything else. It's still the ongoing community.
Considering the ~8 years of history, with absolutely no record of doing anything
against this community - saying I'm all of the sudden trying shit is actually offensive.
If I didn't like any of you all anymore, I just wouldn't come here.

Hell.. even assuming I am that asshat with vengeance and hate you all..
What would I actually accomplish by taking down the forums?
You'd _at most_ have to revert back or reinstall.. and lose a day or two of posts.
Not nearly something that would be worth anything.

..and I can do all this but don't have the basic idea of using a proxy?
I'd like to think my brainpower is slightly more sophisticated than that.
Feyd/Jesus, if you have time to answer that question I've made, I'd like to ask you one or two more things if that isn't too much of an inconvenience. I might share one or two things with you and/or the guests to make it for your time.
I'm always
up for questions that I can answer. So long as its not "why are such an asshole" or "gimme leaks".

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:49 pm

If I didn't like any of you all anymore, I just wouldn't come here.
You don't come here.

:cry:
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Jesus
Newcomer

Postby Jesus » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:58 pm

who accidentally runs hacking programs
Oh and to touch on this.
It isn't a hacking program.
It's a development tool.
There's a BIG difference.

The addon will literally do absolutely nothing harmful ever.
Its no more harmful than the dev tools that come standard with firefox.

In fact, you CANT use it to do harm.
You'd still need to put in any sql injection code yourself.
IE: If you're going to hack a site, you need other tools or do it manually.

I've used several, but I believe the one I was using then was SQL Inject Me.
Read up, and you'll see it's a harmless development tool.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:59 pm

Meh, I've said my piece. People are scared of you, Feyd, deal with it. :shrug:

Jesus
Newcomer

Postby Jesus » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:02 pm

Meh, I've said my piece. People are scared of you, Feyd, deal with it. :shrug:
I'm just trying to say that they shouldn't be. I wouldn't do anything to harm this place.
Unfortunately, the rift between iridium and this userbase has seemed to lump me in with iridium.
Which is odd, considering I've been staff on and off, but been here all along.

edit: iridium? lol intersting.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:06 pm

Odd, that's a little more delusion than I was expecting.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:08 pm

I'm sorry, that was mean.

Jesus
Newcomer

Postby Jesus » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:14 pm

Odd, that's a little more delusion than I was expecting.
Perhaps. But I like to think this way. I've not always been active, and I've always lurked 10x more then I've posted, but minus my on and off hiatuses, I'm generally here almost as much as there.
Before the gutter started dying, I read it more then the regular forums. (again, apologies to those who hate the comparision, but it's the ongoing community I'm speaking of)

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:15 pm

The heart and soul of being a scumbag is to blather instead of being a scumbag.

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:19 pm

there is no difference between development tools and hacking tools when their used for the same purpose. no one asked for you to 'develop' on this site so why the fuck would you run it.

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Hey cool, you did answer. Many thanks for taking the time to discuss this.

As regarding the severity of the exploit attempts, rest assured, I don't believe anyone around here thinks these had a large severity. Honestly, here is my personal interpretation for this whole affair previous to your explanation ITT:

Given the timeline and the context of these sql injection attempts, my take was (As you can refer in my previous posts) that the staff in general (and Sene in particular) were very upset at seeing leaked mod lounge posts up for vote in the razzies, and at the very same period you were trying to be hired (had been hired?) as a technician. I just assumed that you casually looked into hacking into the site's database, using some common exploits. I say casually because you didn't even conceal your identity as you correctly pointed out. Like something you'd do in 1hour tops. Obviously, no site in the world is
invulnerable to hacking, but the trick is to make it hard enough so that the trouble that you have to go into for hacking the site would offset the benefits (uncovering leaks). Ethics aside, doing some casual hacking attempts always has some potential, because one may always have some hidden vulnerability, and admittedly, this site is not managed by IT professionals, so it wouldn't be something very preposterous.

Hence the rather "humorous" title of this thread since iridium doesn't hesitate to ban people and accuse them of taking malicious actions against websites for just posting about the sale of the site in a hidden subforum (see here). I really assumed these hacking attempts were condoned by iridium in an "ends justify the means" crusade for exposing the leaks. Lets not forget that an administrator of MTGS once asked admins of other websites for info on users they
suspected of being the leaks (without their knowledge) so....

But anyway, without rehashing walls of text from past drama, I can solemnly affirm that what has disgusted several members of this community (besides the continuous hounding, harassing, the discretionary bans, the slandering of members of this community - myself having been accused of taking malicious actions against MTGS, and called a Scumbag and a Terrorist -) has been having patently been lied to during months about the issue of the closure of the gutter (as later posts from staff and boubouille indirectly attested).

At this point I cannot emphasize how much the main issue for me is Honesty. This is what matters the most for me. If you were to have intently tried to exploit any vulnerabilities of this site in order to potentially access its database, we can put all of this all behind and even get a good laugh out of this, as long as we agree that this shouldn't happen again. Again, I cannot state it more clearly than this. If this were
to have been intentional, its really no big deal, and being Honest about it is what matters the more.

With this said, if indeed this was a misunderstanding/the making of a rogue firefox plugin, I might also take your word for granted. I only wish to ask you this then:

Can I have your Word of Honor than all that happened was 100% accidental, and that you never had any intention of testing/exploiting any eventual vulnerabilities of this site?

Do I have your word, Feyd?

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:33 pm

Jesus Christ, time for some deletions. Always the usual suspects.

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:48 pm

Follow-up: Because as Pendulum pointed out, if you are a Scumbag, we have many things in common and you might just have a bright future on this site, so its an option to definitely consider.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:51 pm

What is honor on the internets?

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:58 am

norse honor

Tom Servo
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tom Servo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:23 am

the honor that comes with putting your personal convictions aside for your duty to a website about magical cards that you volunteer for

rezombad
Tire Aficionado

Postby rezombad » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:37 am

And if a website about magical cards told you to kill children and burn down a village in vietnam, would you do it?
You post on dtr? Cool? Honestly, I don't know who posts there and who doesn't.
I actually read that site quite a bit but its mostly because a lot of the people I used to interact with on MTGS are over there.
It should be a privilege to post here

Sir Sapphire the 3rd
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sir Sapphire the 3rd » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:11 am

And if a website about magical cards told you to kill children and burn down a village in vietnam, would you do it?
>.>
I just shit post and get blocked on the twatters

imopen2
Tire Aficionado

Postby imopen2 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:32 am

norse honor
-- --- .-. ... . / .... --- -. --- .-.
Kijin Zabuza: My pokemon cards bring the boys to the yard
Kijin Zabuza: And they're like, "Oh **** he has cards"
TwinBGenerationX: damn right
TwinBGenerationX: I wanna trade cards I could trade you, BUT NOT MY CHARIZARD!

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:40 am

not morse code honor, bro.

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:23 am

This deleting posts thing is getting old.
whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
it's not cheating if you hand her the jizz afterwards
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Postby ( G_R ) » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:23 am

We can always edit in the huge puking smiley. ^_^
That explains why people keep coming over for chicken nuggets

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:41 am

Feyd, you were here already and didn't answer my question:

Do I have your Word of Honor that what happened was 100% accidental and that you never had the intention to exploit any potential vulnerabilities of the site to access private information?

I want to hear from you so that we can put this behind ourselves and get back to our daily duties.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:33 am

Give him some to finish hacking then he will answer

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:50 pm

24 And it did come to pass that He and His disciples did climb unto the mount, and a multitude did form around Him and the disciples, and He did lurk until the multitude got all edgy and creepified. The multitude didst then disperse.

16 Then it was that a storm brought itself up quickly as they were sailing, and the disciples became sore afraid for their safety. Thus it was that they decided to wake Him, but upon being awoke He rolled over and said unto them that they shouldst go perform acts of abomination unto themselves.

19 One of the disciples came unto Him during the feast, and saith unto Him "My Lord, the multitude that hath gathered here are hungry and have eaten up all the loaves and the fishes but these two of each." He thereafter tooketh the loaves of bread and the fishes after they were handed unto him, and broke the bread, and ateth up the loaves and the fishes, and told the disciple that He
wouldeth appreciate the disciple to taketh some tackle and go catcheth some more fish, as it was pretty good and He waseth still a bit hungry.

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:37 am

Hey Feyd, I really, really want to bring a closure to this.

Do I have your Word of Honor that what occurred was purely accidental? I just want to hear from you so that this is clarified once and for all.

Just say it already, I will take your Word of Honor for granted, I won't bother you with any more questions, I'll lock this thread and we can all carry on with our lives without silly suspicions.

I'd really appreciate if I could have your timely input. This has gone for long enough :-/

Tom Servo
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:16 am

PANIC!

Tom Servo
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:17 am

SCATTER!

Neo Metal Sonic
Tire Aficionado

Postby Neo Metal Sonic » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:19 am

Hey Dary, want a beer?

Return to “Speak Your Mind”