Ideas and Roadmap for this forum

Community Issues

Moderators: Col. Khaddafi, ( G_R )

admin
Site Admin
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Ideas and Roadmap for this forum

Postby admin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:32 pm

Hello everyone, and welcome to this empty canvas!

It is up to us to turn it into something worthwile. Do you want to "draw" something, anything in here? Voice you opinion!

Things which will be done in a near future over here:

1) Setting a plugin to quote with link to original post
2) Improving the smileys
3) Getting rid of the automatic title in the reply box
4) Quick reply button? (kpaca)

and more mid-term:

5) look at the general usability of the forum skin. Your suggestions are welcomed.
6) setting up a skin for mobile devices

Have fun!

admin

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:16 pm

Here's what I'd recommend to adapt the blank canvas to something that's more visually pleasing and psychologically effective.

-In general, minimize the amount of white space wherever possible. We're conditioned to regard the color white as blank and uninteresting, as a vacuum, and it subliminally pushes people to go elsewhere.
-Quote buttons are greyed in.
-In posting window, no distracting splotches of colors on both the right and left sides of the screen, which dance subliminally in your periphery and distract the human eye, making it subtly more difficult to concentrate on the text you're writing. (font color and smilies)
-Post windows should be relatively more compact in size.
-Post windows should utilize an above-text-box model for editing features, with graphics buttons, not word-buttons.
-Each post should occupy a more compact vertical amount of space, to make reading and scrolling easier.
-Search buttons/
options at top/right

Other features to bear in mind:
-A "like post" feature. The ability to give and receive positive reinforcement helps keep people posting.
-At all times, you can click your way to front-page content
-User CP should use grayed in background on left side, not white.
-The "important announcements feature" is a good one, but would be more helpful located near the PMs, not at center screen, particularly if you're not using regular announcements.
-The "welcome to user CP" message is unnecessary and utilizing valuable real estate at center of screen

Long term goals:

-Catchy name, URL, and getting off the university server.
-Commercialize the site for sustainability. and profit.
-Front-page content. One area that I think there is GREAT room for improvement upon in the MTG world is information synthesis. There's any number of ways that the current major websites, MTGS, SCG, TCG, Wizards, Channel Fireball, are completely failing at synthesizing the
information that magic players are looking for into a single convenient location.
-Find volunteers and other personnel to assist with the above

Things we could do better than other people:

*REDACTED TO PRIVATE FOR THE TIME BEING*

Manders
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Manders » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:59 pm

I'm here, though I don't have much to add at the time.

I do know I will volunteer to do anything I can to assist with the site.

gg, Scumbag. gg.
Don't hate me 'cause I'm cuter than you are! - :mh:

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:44 pm

Welcome aboard MandersHex! Nice to see you again.

In other news, a mobile skin has been added. Should you login from a mobile phone, the software automatically detects it and switchs to an adapted lightweight skin.
Carried these steps:

This leaves us with 4 skins atm:

vphpbb3 (set by default, useful for those of us who are sed to MTGS)
prosilver (comes with phpbb3 by default)
subsilver (comes with phpbb3 by default)
Artodia: Mobile and SEO (new skin, switches automatically to this when a mobile device is detected. Tested successfully with a blackberry mobile device).

Suggestions are welcomed if you find other themes/skins could be added. Here is a good resource: http://phpbb3styles.net

Enjoy!

Manders
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Manders » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:51 am

Welcome aboard MandersHex! Nice to see you again.

In other news, a mobile skin has been added. Should you login from a mobile phone, the software automatically detects it and switchs to an adapted lightweight skin.
Carried these steps:

This leaves us with 4 skins atm:

vphpbb3 (set by default, useful for those of us who are sed to MTGS)
prosilver (comes with phpbb3 by default)
subsilver (comes with phpbb3 by default)
Artodia: Mobile and SEO (new skin, switches automatically to this when a mobile device is detected. Tested successfully with a blackberry mobile device).

Suggestions are welcomed if you find other themes/skins could be added. Here is a good resource: http://phpbb3styles.net

Enjoy!
Very happy to see you, Scumbag.

I'll look around on that site when I have a chance. I'm off for the next two days, so should have plenty of time to do so.
Don't hate me 'cause I'm cuter than you are! - :mh:

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Today's updates:

1) Installed a quick reply mod. Everything seems to be correctly installed, but the quick reply box does not appear in every forums. Needs more testing (and feedback)

PS: Also welcome Brandon, good to have you on board! :thumbsup:

EDIT: the quick reply apparently is enabled by default, but vphpbb3 template does not include it by default. The other templates are OK though

Manasjap

Postby Manasjap » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:04 am

Reporting in. I lack experience on coding and making boards like this work, but I'll just chip in whenever there is something I can help with.

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Postby ( G_R ) » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:23 am

Hola cundos!

I could help making a favicon for the site (that little icon in the browser tab). Any other image stuff you need too.

IDK about phpBB coding, but I know my way about that kind of stuff and I learn fast, if a hand is needed. /powerhungry
That explains why people keep coming over for chicken nuggets

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:25 am

Reporting in. I lack experience on coding and making boards like this work, but I'll just chip in whenever there is something I can help with.
Welcome aboard dear manasjap sir.

Your post is allowing me to test a quote hack. You are already helping!

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:29 am

Great GR is here too! :hifive: I think we are going to have a nice chat about this site ugly smilies and other things that can be improved

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:00 am

She sees arise
A second time
Earth from the sea
Dressed evergreen
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:33 am

Hey Madding! Welcome

GR, I have a job for you: could you look in http://phpbb3styles.net for some nice skins to add to our 4 acual ones?

That's all for today, have a nice night of sleep!

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Postby ( G_R ) » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:50 am

Hey Madding! Welcome

GR, I have a job for you: could you look in http://phpbb3styles.net for some nice skins to add to our 4 acual ones?

Found these two for the dark-skin lovers:

http://www.phpbb3styles.net/db/style/Lucid+Lime
http://www.phpbb3styles.net/db/style/CA+Black

I'm heading home now, will check later/tomorrow for other interesting ones.

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Custom Titles

Postby ( G_R ) » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:52 am

Second Harkius
Spam Yrself Clean

Postby Second Harkius » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:15 am

Hi all.

jonnyjonski
In need of elder care

Postby jonnyjonski » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:49 pm

I'm happy to see that this is moving forward as a place to escape and poke fun at the idiocy that's become the salv. It looks great so far Scumbag...I'm not a tech guy, so I have nothing to offer but criticism and potential suggestions.

I think if we keep the Magic related stuff actually Magic Related.
Anything "Speculation" should be killed instantly.
In these early stages....simple is best. Places like "Magic Discussion", "General Discussion", "Stupid Shit"...gets the ball rolling, and then it's easy to peel off from there.

Thanks for pointing me here by the way!
HHRRRrrmmmmmmmm.....

Manasjap

Postby Manasjap » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:50 pm

Is there already a way to change posts per page? also some other testing

Do we want things like Decktags or cardlinks?
obviously these are things to worry about further along the road, just spouting ideas here.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:59 pm

For now its just a global setting, there might be a plugin for that.

I've set the forum to 25pp, but we can change the value if a majority of people feel another figure is more convenient.

It's one more thing in the TODO list. Decktags and cardlinks too, but I have to actually get some real IRL work done prior to this :P

jonnyjonski
In need of elder care

Postby jonnyjonski » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:14 pm

I like 40....not to much...not to little....just right!
HHRRRrrmmmmmmmm.....

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Postby ( G_R ) » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:15 pm

I like 40....not to much...not to little....just right!
+1

Can we make polls? *checks*

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Yes we can :obamateach:

I'm gonna set the forum global settings to 40pp then. We'll work from there for now.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Oh yeah, and I'm going to change those awful smileys for sure today

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:08 pm

I'm thinking our official stance, once we go public and implement our *super secret industry-changing strategies*, should be one of cooperation with MTGS, not rivalry. I think we could make significant inroads through that tactic, as opposed to polarizing people into two camps and leading iridium to fear that this is a threat to their existence and a calculated insult.

Of course, if the changes go well, some degree of unofficial rivalry, comparison/contrast, competition, and userbase bleed from MTGS would be somewhat inevitable...

Main necessity right now is to find more personnel with programming expertise to assist Scumbag with some of the more complicated front-page coding we have in mind. Compensation is a possibility. Suggestions or volunteers?

Also, we're going to need a catchy URL that appeals to the broader MTG community, possibly something that captures that "synthesis of info" notion that was alluded to
above.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Agree. Since I started patching this I've became much more sympathetic to the plight of making modifications like in salvation. You need a lot of low level machine access, you can break stuff easily, etc... It takes much longer to implement things than anticipated.

Bear in mind that community patches/mods, although plentyful, can only get you so far... I mean, there is certainly a mod for 99% of the modifications you'd wish to implement, but once you get into that 1%... You're on your own, and you need solid php and MySql programming skills. At this point I will fail because I'm not an informatics engineer. I know about scientific computing and programming, so I know how to mount and setup hardware and I know how to tap in the awesome things the opensource community has already made available. But as far as programming php and mysql queries, I know just the more mundane things.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:39 pm

Still if you go into the technical issues forum, I'm very happy at the progree we have in just two days. A lot of things are still ugly, but we already have a mobile skin which takes over when it detects you're on the phone. That's high end already, you guys just try to login from your phones and see what happens.

Also people need to understand that this default skin is the most limited and ugly of the currently available. If you go to control panel and select the say subsilver2 skin, you'll notice the site is much nicer.

That is something to discuss (with a poll) once I have added more skins (like the ones GR recommended). What should be the default skin of this site?

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Postby ( G_R ) » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:41 pm

Hey Madding! Welcome

Found these two for the dark-skin lovers:

http://www.phpbb3styles.net/db/style/Lucid+Lime
http://www.phpbb3styles.net/db/style/CA+Black

I'm heading home now, will check later/tomorrow for other interesting ones.
Ubuntu-like skin anyone? http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/pro_ubuntu

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:44 pm

One of the most awesome things in phpbb3 is the degree of customization and diversity of the different skins. We should tap on this awesome resources

GR: that skin is real nice, will put it on the list to upload to the site

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Postby ( G_R ) » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Main necessity right now is to find more personnel with programming expertise to assist Scumbag with some of the more complicated front-page coding we have in mind. Compensation is a possibility. Suggestions or volunteers?
I program VBA all the time. Not exactly php, but like I said, I learn fast and code is my friend. :)

Second Harkius
Spam Yrself Clean

Postby Second Harkius » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Also, we're going to need a catchy URL that appeals to the broader MTG community, possibly something that captures that "synthesis of info" notion that was alluded to above.
MTGWorld.com
MTGUniverse.com
MTGElite.com (Name might attract a higher caliber of player willing to shell out $$ for articles; also a pun based on the gutter's perceived "elite" status)

We shouldn't pick something uninviting like MTGDarkness.

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:26 pm

Call it MTGfreedom.com

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:27 pm

I'm thinking our official stance, once we go public and implement our *super secret industry-changing strategies*, should be one of cooperation with MTGS, not rivalry. I think we could make significant inroads through that tactic, as opposed to polarizing people into two camps and leading iridium to fear that this is a threat to their existence and a calculated insult.

Of course, if the changes go well, some degree of unofficial rivalry, comparison/contrast, competition, and userbase bleed from MTGS would be somewhat inevitable...
I think we need to adress the elephant in the room:

I can speak for myself and others in admitting that this site idea and inception is to some degree linked to the direction MTGS appears to be heading these latest times:

1) There is
a significant level of stagnation in MTGS, in no small part related to a perceived lack of personal investment by the owner, as well as a lack of backend access to the site server. Trust me, if these initial hectic days have thought me something, its that root access to the machine is an absolute must. This means that seemingly trivial concerns like changing the text of "warnings" to "reminders" -something that can be done in 15 min with backend access- are not done to the detriment of the userbase, who complains in SYM, leading to hours of inputs and discussions. The innefficiency is very large. I mean, the biggest change in years was the thank feature. Again compare with the improvements that we reached here is as much as two days (although the site needs much more days of tweaks to be up to modern standards).

2) The second issue lies within the current incarnation of the staff, which has a very problematic relationship with the userbase. Lets face it, whatever the reasons, the level
of conflictuality has been unprecedented, and has not shown signs of winding down, ever since the shutdown of the Gutter/rianalnn resignation dramas. Its been months without any signs of change, and there are complaints from very diverse groups of MTGS members. The staff has partly answered to the concerns with an increase of punitive measures (suspensions/bannings) and with a self pitying attitude, constantly blaming the userbase for the current level of hostility.

Whatever the faults, which I admit may be shared by a more broader audience, many people have felt that they do no longer take as much enjoyment from the site as before, and that arguing against the policy shifts isn't leading to any positive outcomes. Hence here we are.

My ambition here is to create a place where the userbase can be respected, a place where we are just the custodians, driven by the community. I think I can speak for many in saying that at this point this can only be achieved with a clean sheet, as much disapointing as
this may be.

I also believe that it is a big mistake to have one only owner/a few senior staff members, and this is a mistake I think we can learn. I hope we can get much more people invested in this project, sharing responsabilities. As a matter of fact I'd appreciate all the help I can get, and I'm more than willing to allow backend access to whoever is willing to help and has the required skills. My main task here is just to help this project get up from the ground with the resources I am fortunate to have in hand. But it is clear that the mid-term objective is to move beyond my resources, to a new site, and get a solid group of good willed people invested in this project, bringing in their creativity and ideas.

As for MTGS, I don't see why would there be any animosity or grudges. Yes there are differences of opinions, but in the end the goal is the same: to provide services to a community. The means to do it are just different ant that is all. So Azrael, I'm in line with your comment: If there
ever will be any animosity, it won't certainly come from here.

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Postby ( G_R ) » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:43 am

Thanking posts mod:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... for_posts/

(so I can thank the above post)

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Postby ( G_R ) » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:49 am

Custom PPP:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... rpage_mod/

This is for an older version. Looks like it has no support. Check it out, though.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:54 am

Being friendly towards Salvation is one thing, aligning is another. Remember, MTGS is on WOTC's shit-list. This website can break free of that lost love, and someday get preview cards.
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

imopen2
Tire Aficionado

Postby imopen2 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:17 am

MTGGutter
Kijin Zabuza: My pokemon cards bring the boys to the yard
Kijin Zabuza: And they're like, "Oh **** he has cards"
TwinBGenerationX: damn right
TwinBGenerationX: I wanna trade cards I could trade you, BUT NOT MY CHARIZARD!

Yabbs
Newcomer

Postby Yabbs » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:09 am

Posting from my phone ITT. Mobile skin looks sexy (though I'm currently using the desktop site so I could get a look)

Once I have a better reading environment, I will give more input about this group.

Stupidly fantasy sounding names to consider:
MTGLexicon
MTGTome

I have no idea if there's anything at those domains but just my shitty Brainvomit names.

Manasjap

Postby Manasjap » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Maybe MTGCommunity would be something.

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:32 pm

@Admin - *nods* At this point, I think the only way the iridium's going to get pull themselves out of their tailspin is being ruthless enough to very kindly, and very politely put their problematic staff on probation, and terminate those who don't shape up. But in all likelihood, they're just going to remained turtled up for the foreseeable future, holding hands, with the spoiler page as their only meaningful growth engine.

---

Having gone on a name-finding expedition the last time I hoped to get this concept off the ground, I've found that many of the potential names "'mtgcommunity", "mtgcity", "jacebook", have already been taken.

May have to think a tad outside the box.

*think think think*
Last edited by Azrael on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:45 pm

The MTGcommunity is a dead italian site. I thought about MTG Communities also, but as a legal person you are better qualified to know if it would fly or not

Azrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Azrael » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:48 pm

These are available:

Mtgswarm.com
Alphastriker.com <--- I kinda like this one.*
Manaburnt.com

* It says, "ballsy, confident people who turn all their men sideways like to use this site".

Return to “Speak Your Mind”