Keranos

Post about Magic Rumors here!

Moderator: rezombad

Jonnymagic
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Keranos

Postby Jonnymagic » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Whoamg. This is a card I like. Card draw or damage. Granted, its a do nothing the turn it comes down, but the static on it is nuts.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:15 pm

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:04 pm

Not sure about this card.

UWR probably wants Assemble the Legion over this against all non-control matches. Against control mirrors this is going to be better than Assemble, but you might prefer Jace, Memory Adept at that point.

If this doesn't reveal a land and draw a card, it has a strong chance to do essentially nothing against most decks in the format.

Predicting minimal play, if UR Scryland makes UWR good enough then maybe a 1-of.
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:53 pm

What I like is that he's an engine without needing anything extraneous to advance your game plan; what I hate is that the only way you ever get him active as a creature is either by A) running a bunch of non-synergistic crap or B) running all the a planeswalkers, in which case he seems like overkill. Still, even as a backup win-con in draw-go burn or whatever, he's still a threat and indestructible to boot, so he bears watching; I could see him being a pretty epic SB card, at least.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:26 pm

I like all of the text on this card but do not like the card itself, if that makes any sense.

I think the issue I'm seeing is how slow the effect is, where your first trigger is on turn 6, and you're not immediately in control of the game (which in part is an issue of you not being able to necessarily control the effect).

With assemble and big jace you know what you're getting for what you pay. This is a lot of coin flipping that produces value either way but potentially not what you need when you need it.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:49 pm

There are an awful lot of ways to set up your draws in Standard, though. Magma Jet and Thassa, God of the Sea come to mind. Not that I'm dismissing your point, Thrillsy, as you would then by necessity have to not only include this guy but those cards in order to take full advantage of the synergy, and there's always the chance of biffing it regardless, but since scry is so powerful in its won right it hardly seems like much of a disadvantage to be :airquote: forced to play with them.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Also, ramp is a thing; some permutation of Monsters could almost undoubtedly benefit from the incremental advantage this guy poses, and the effect just seems way better when you're landing him turn 3 or 4 (as opposed to a creature.. I love me some Stormy but keeping a hand of land + ramp just to top out on Dragon only to see him eat a Doomblade is at times disconcerting).

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:10 pm

This guy is going to be real good in my Nin, Pain Artist EDH deck.

yurp yurp

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:58 pm

But you play thassa and magma jet because they're good cards. You're not going to hold your magma jets for when you have this guy, and I honestly don't see a real synergy between thassa and this aside from "you get a 66% chance of setting up the trigger on stormy." I mean once both are active they're good creatures, but you don't need to play a comparatively "bad" card to make thassa good.

Looking at it another way, you're dedicating valuable deck space to reduce the odds of your random effect card being random. That's not exactly an Easter blowout sale.

F.I.A

Postby F.I.A » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:24 am

Well, I suppose they were right. It's actually a Lightning Strike for an ability, but a rather tricky one.

If I am reading this right, this will make you
- Draw a card, if you reveal land (Your actual draw is still concealed)
- Bolt something, if you reveal a non-land (Your actual draw is revealed)

It's a safer Galvanoth, if you ask me, and it's a good thing. Being a legend is a boon for EDH too.

imopen2
Tire Aficionado

Postby imopen2 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:58 am

You reveal the card no matter what.

Already brewed American control with this guy and assemble the legion as finishers. Could be fun. Might be a deck :shrug:
Kijin Zabuza: My pokemon cards bring the boys to the yard
Kijin Zabuza: And they're like, "Oh **** he has cards"
TwinBGenerationX: damn right
TwinBGenerationX: I wanna trade cards I could trade you, BUT NOT MY CHARIZARD!

F.I.A

Postby F.I.A » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:22 am

Right, I misread the card. I thought you can draw another new card if you reveal and draw the land.

Return to “News and Rumors”