Journey into Nyx Spoilers *Updated 4/14/14 Previews*

Post about Magic Rumors here!

Moderator: rezombad

Purp
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Purp » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:55 pm

i dont imagine control dedicating SB slots to burn post JOU release, which all Aegis of the Gods is

yurp yurp

Tanro
Newcomer

Postby Tanro » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:37 pm

Helps out standard hexproof a lot. Can't loose your doods to flare or devour flesh anymore. Or loose your hexproof pigs to late thoughsiezes or zombie.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:19 pm

Aegis of the Gods is playable because it costs 1W instead of WW. That's leagues better than True Believer.

It is still only a playable True Believer, though.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:37 pm

It's good yeah but nothing too amazing. Should see adequate play in a Thoughtseize world because it is a material girl. I like it.
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:39 pm

Ram is good too

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:16 am

Aegis of the Gods- Not bad and GW hate Bears got another piece.
Author of Gunning for Tactical/Practical - http://diestoremoval.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2103
Current Decks
Commander- Kaalia (Dega) and Nekusar (Grixis)
Modern- UB Faeries and Splinter Twin
Standard- Mono-black Devotion
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:34 am

Lots of cards tonight. Going to take a bit.

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:22 am

Harness By Force
[mana]1RR[/mana]
Sorcery
Strive - Harness By Force Costs [mana]2R[/mana] more to cast for each target beyond the first.
Gain control of any number target creatures until the end of turn.
Untap those creatures. They have haste until end of turn.

---
I think I like the multitarget Act of Treason. Seems like its best home would be in some sort of GR or Devotion list as sideboard tech against creature based decks. Could be powerful.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:32 pm

That's a pretty sweet Threaten.

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:34 pm

For once I agree with you. Great card.
҉

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:23 pm

Threaten effects tend to be very playable when the meta dictates it. Last season we were bouncing between Traitorous Blood and the +1/+1 counter one. Then there was Zealous Conscripts. A few years ago was the big daddy, Act of Aggression

This one looks really sweet. But it's harder to sideboard this with decks using things like Elspeth, Aetherling and low-power creatures. What you want to steal is something like Angel of Serenity and swing for the win.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:44 pm

Yeah it'd be good if this were printed in a format where one of the prevailing decks played large monstrous creatures you ramped into. Some kind of "Creatures of Enormous Size that are Expensive", or CoEStaE, deck. I don't think well ever see something like that in this game, though.

Also Threaten was the big daddy of Act of Treason.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:01 pm

I wasn't implying AoA started it, just that it's the last time one of them was really damned good. I'll always have a soft spot for the art of Threaten with goblins actually threatening people with knives.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:07 am

O-ring is back, I think O-ring should be standard staple so I'm happy about its return :D

EDIT: Jund/Junk has more tools now as well, anything think Gravepact 2 will see play?

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:28 am

Deicide is..... interesting.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:46 pm

Its a strictly better Revoke Existence.

yurp yurp

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:18 pm

So long as you don't want to hit an artifact...

Probably won't see any serious play unless the Gods start seeing much more than they're getting now.

The most interesting thing about this card for me is that it seems to have been created solely to tell a story. Welcome back to the Weatherlight Saga.
҉

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:24 pm

Have you all seen to insane prices of cards for this set on ebay? WTF? All the sellers are praying for that Voice of Resurgence price. Good luck.

Dictate of erebos is cool, but EDH only.
Author of Gunning for Tactical/Practical - http://diestoremoval.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2103
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:38 pm

Um, Tethmos High Priest? Has there ever been a more first pickable uncommon? Retarded.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:46 pm

Potentially Standard playable

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:16 am

I wouldn't say it's standard playable but dang that thing is nuts in UW heroic

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:20 am

What in this set is voice of resurgence priced? The only high ball cards are WB god (who is maybe worth hype, tho obv prerelease hype>deserved hype), Ajani (planeswalker duh) and City of Gyro when the alternative is tap lands. None of that seems weird to me unless something shot way up?

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:02 am

What in this set is voice of resurgence priced? The only high ball cards are WB god (who is maybe worth hype, tho obv prerelease hype>deserved hype), Ajani (planeswalker duh) and City of Gyro when the alternative is tap lands. None of that seems weird to me unless something shot way up?

Actually not much. Deicide hurts the new BW god bad. Mana Confluence is not THAT good. Way over priced. New Ajani needs a specific deck. Nothing in this deck is Voice of Resurgence powered or priced.
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:14 am

Voice was going for $20-25 for pre-orders if I remember correctly.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:28 am

The money card will be foil Mana Confluence for Legacy and EDH.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:28 am

Full preview is up!

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:41 am

Looks to me like Sealed is going to be best white pool wins...the color is absurdly deep.
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:18 am

rollick of abandon kills Master of Wave doesn't it?

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:37 am

Looks to me like Sealed is going to be best white pool wins...the color is absurdly deep.
I'm not so sure. For the Born of the Gods prerelease I won the first one I went to with a crazy ass white deck that had 5 awesome on color rares and then in the second one, where I went white again, I got a deck so terrible that I had to make a slightly better GB deck . I think the problem is that the key white cards are uncommon. So, if my math is right in sealed, we get 60 commons, 18 uncommons, and 6 rares.

The white commons for the sets are:

Theros: Born of the Gods:

Akroan Skyguard
Elite Skirmisher
[card]Ephara's Radiance[/card]
[card:
1rr7iy26]Excoriate[/card]
Great Hart
Griffin Dreamfinder
Hold at Bay
Loyal Pegasus
[card]Mortal's Ardor[/card]
Nyxborn Shieldmate
Oreskos Sun Guide
Revoke Existence
Journey Into Nyx: Of those cards, in Theros, white must get 1 or 2 Wingsteed Rider and Divine Verdict to be viable. The other cards such as Gods Willing, Hopeful Eidolon, Battlewise Valor, Observant Alseid, and Scholar of Athreos (in a specific WB deck) are good to have, but can't take over a game by becoming a huge evasive threat or answering the opponent's bomb (Scholar on a stalled board with 6 to 9 mana is fucking nuts though).

Born of the Gods doesn't really help things either, there's Akroan Skyguard. You must pull 1 or 2 of those. Without them, the 2 Born of the Gods packs are almost a complete bust for commons. Mortal's Ardor and Nyxborn Shieldmate are good cards as well. Revoke Existence can be good, but it doesn't really answer monsters that well. Excoriate can hit those cards, but I've never had much luck with it. By the time I can cast it, it feels like I'm behind.

Journey Into Nyx is hard
to read because none of us have played it, but white still doesn't get the bomb or removal it wants to see at common. Ajani's Presence looks like it'll be good for 3 mana you get 2 heroic triggers and for 5 you get 3 + indestructible for when it matters. Armament of Nyx looks cool too, for non-enchantment bombs it's kind of like pacifism but can also buff things up. Mortal Obstinacy looks cool, I like that it's a 1 mana pump spell that can blow up an enchantment. It has 1 heroic card a 0/4 heroic for 1 which could be pretty cool if you get her going. However again, no card that can just take over by itself at common or a powerful, versatile removal spell like Divine Verdict.

If you compare that to blue, just using Theros as an example, blue commons all have, Benthic Giant, Griptide, Nimbus Naiad, Prescient Chimera, and [card]Voyage's End[/card] at common.
That's 2 awesome removal spells, 2 bombs, and probably the the best common bestow creature (Hopeful and Baleful Eidolons are great too). Those cards are a lot more flexible and powerful.

White heroic focused decks feel like gambling in sealed to me. If you can get the cads, holy shit will you explode over everyone's face, but it's also too easy to stuck with the wrong combination of pieces and get a deck that can't beat very basic cards.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:46 am

rollick of abandon kills Master of Wave doesn't it?
Yes, it does.
Sig by NBW

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:11 pm

Actually not much. Deicide hurts the new BW god bad. Mana Confluence is not THAT good. Way over priced. New Ajani needs a specific deck. Nothing in this deck is Voice of Resurgence powered or priced.
Yes but Deicide is an extremely narrow card and dying to removal isn't the be all
end all of a card (that said, there are already two obv ring effects for that purpose). That doesn't make a card bad. It's a mythic people are excited by and that might actually be good. It's price tag reflects prerelease excitement not people thinking it's Voice.

Ajani is a planeswalker with two + abilities in colors people like to build decks with and one of those abilities draws cards, which isn't common in real boy GW decks. Did I mention it's a planeswalker? Planeswalkers always have inflated price tags at prerelease. Even Tibalt.

Mana confluence is the first playable 5c land since the last time Gemstone Mine was printed. It's also printed at a time when all other options for multicolored lands etb tapped or require 2 life to etb untapped. Also, prerelease hype for an obviously good and likely one of the sets few guaranteed hits (this set does not contain many good rares, so the ones that stick out are going to get inflated because of that classic dichotomy of supply and demand). Shock
lands went for as much at prerelease, and this is as good for aggro decks now as shock lands were for the game of magic in general.

There's a (mostly mired by prerelease hype in the third set of a block with few value cards otherwise in it) reason behind these prices, and none of them are allusions to Voice of Resurgence.

imopen2
Tire Aficionado

Postby imopen2 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:18 pm

I'm not so sure. For the Born of the Gods prerelease I won the first one I went to with a crazy ass white deck that had 5 awesome on color rares and then in the second one, where I went white again, I got a deck so terrible that I had to make a slightly better GB deck . I think the problem is that the key white cards are uncommon. So, if my math is right in sealed, we get 60 commons, 18 uncommons, and 6 rares.

The white commons for the sets are:

Theros: Born of the Gods:

[
card]Akroan Skyguard[/card]
Elite Skirmisher
[card]Ephara's Radiance[/card]
Excoriate
Great Hart
Griffin Dreamfinder
Hold at Bay
Loyal Pegasus
[card]Mortal's Ardor[/card]
Nyxborn Shieldmate
Oreskos Sun Guide
Revoke Existence
Journey Into Nyx: Of those cards, in Theros, white must get 1 or 2 Wingsteed Rider and Divine Verdict to be viable. The other cards such as Gods Willing, Hopeful Eidolon, Battlewise Valor, Observant Alseid, and Scholar of Athreos (in a specific WB deck) are good to have, but can't take over a game by becoming a huge evasive threat or answering the opponent's bomb (Scholar on a stalled board with 6 to 9 mana is fucking nuts though).

Born of the Gods doesn't really help things either, there's Akroan Skyguard. You must pull 1 or 2 of those. Without them, the 2 Born of the Gods packs are almost a complete bust for commons. Mortal's Ardor and Nyxborn Shieldmate are good cards as well. Revoke Existence can be good, but it doesn't really answer monsters that well.
Excoriate can hit those cards, but I've never had much luck with it. By the time I can cast it, it feels like I'm behind.

Journey Into Nyx is hard to read because none of us have played it, but white still doesn't get the bomb or removal it wants to see at common. Ajani's Presence looks like it'll be good for 3 mana you get 2 heroic triggers and for 5 you get 3 + indestructible for when it matters. Armament of Nyx looks cool too, for non-enchantment bombs it's kind of like pacifism but can also buff things up. Mortal Obstinacy looks cool, I like that it's a 1 mana pump spell that can blow up an enchantment. It has 1 heroic card a 0/4 heroic for 1 which could be pretty cool if you get her going. However again, no card that can just take over by itself at common or a powerful, versatile removal spell like Divine Verdict.

If you compare that to blue, just using Theros as an example, blue commons all have, Benthic Giant, Griptide, [
card]Nimbus Naiad[/card], Prescient Chimera, and [card]Voyage's End[/card] at common. That's 2 awesome removal spells, 2 bombs, and probably the the best common bestow creature (Hopeful and Baleful Eidolons are great too). Those cards are a lot more flexible and powerful.

White heroic focused decks feel like gambling in sealed to me. If you can get the cads, holy shit will you explode over everyone's face, but it's also too easy to stuck with the wrong combination of pieces and get a deck that can't beat very basic cards.
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you know very little about this limited environment.

1. White does not need divine verdict to be viable (I have won many 8-4s without them).
2. I stopped skimming your post after you said Benthic Giant was a bomb
Kijin Zabuza: My pokemon cards bring the boys to the yard
Kijin Zabuza: And they're like, "Oh **** he has cards"
TwinBGenerationX: damn right
TwinBGenerationX: I wanna trade cards I could trade you, BUT NOT MY CHARIZARD!

Second Harkius
Spam Yrself Clean

Postby Second Harkius » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:35 pm

the set is a dud

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:46 pm

you didn't look at a single card, did you

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:29 pm

@imopen2 Sealed is not draft. Odds are you don't get an awesome archetype deck because you only see 6 packs instead of 24. That means crappy draft picks like Benthic Giant go up in value. Also, I only talked about commons. If you have better uncommons/rares/mythics play them instead.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:40 pm

wait, sealed isn't draft?

imopen2
Tire Aficionado

Postby imopen2 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:18 am

Hmm...sealed isn't draft, and yet both statements remain incorrect. Divine verdict is a fine card, but it's not required, and the giant is a card I would be upset to have to play (maybe your definition of bomb is "24th card")
Kijin Zabuza: My pokemon cards bring the boys to the yard
Kijin Zabuza: And they're like, "Oh **** he has cards"
TwinBGenerationX: damn right
TwinBGenerationX: I wanna trade cards I could trade you, BUT NOT MY CHARIZARD!

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:12 am

I'm not happy to play it (there's a lot better out there), but it'll get the job done. I'm arguing from the position of, "What am I most likely going to get when I open my packs" since I'm assuming I'll have a low chance to get the critical cards. Take the giant for instance, I'll play Horizon Scholar over it any day, but the Scholar is an uncommon the giant is a common. I'm calling it a bomb because it's 4/5 that dodges a lot of removal.

If you get all the cards you need to play the heroic deck, go for it. You will kick ass. I said divine verdict is required because it kills their non-planeswalker bomb and if you don't have the heroic deck, odds are, you're not going to kill your opponent before it comes out. Sealed is slower.

White uncommons are stupid good and game changing. I'll never argue against that. I'm saying that you shouldn't count on getting them so look
at the commons and find cards that will make do.

Second Harkius
Spam Yrself Clean

Postby Second Harkius » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:20 am

you didn't look at a single card, did you
They forgot to include the card the set's named after so yeah, it's a dud.

:trolo:

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:40 am

like that joke

Return to “News and Rumors”