Zach Jesse banned

Post about Magic Rumors here!

Moderator: rezombad

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Zach Jesse banned

Postby rcwraspy » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:45 am

He should be in jail for the rest of his life. He instead cannot play a card game.

he plead guilty and did his time. he's not a habitual offender like what kait has to deal with on a daily basis. im not being some rape apologist shitbag and you can call me whatever name you can but im pointing out he did his time, and that if wotc is gonna go after these kind of people, then chaplin needs a lifetime ban because he did more time.
It's not about whether he's done his time or not, and it's not the same for every crime. This particular type of crime follows you for your entire life in the states in a very different way than any other.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Thrillho » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:22 am

Please allow comedic personality Neil Hamburger to explain:
http://youtu.be/Cr0y6Vxvi3A

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:37 am

I'm fine with the ban and dumbfounded that so many people are surprised by it. Open up your eyes to the society you are a part of.
Sorry, but in Europe, you mostly are not required to notify noone about your past time served. Not to your neighbours, not in your job interview, etc...

In my opinion, if people think criminal offenders are not getting enough punishment, just increase the sentences time, otherwise you might as well tatoo "robber", "murderer", or "rapist" in people's foreheads, it will save these hassles.
In America we do tattoo rapist on foreheads, but it's more of a metaphor for destroying your life after you destroy someone else's
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Kaitscralt » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:48 am

i'm in for the banning, i guess, but it was handled poorly and leaves a confusing policy behind. chapin is a hall of famer, so obviously it's not an anti-felon game. so we isolate it to sex offenders, because WOTC/Hasbro is catering to children and their parents. this is still normal. nobody wants a sex offender around, it's bad for business. the confusing part is if it's isolated to zach jesse or not. if wizards isn't going to run their entire DCI database against every states sex offender registry and ban all the players who get flagged, then why did they ban jesse? because he was doing well and being featured? because lsv said off with his head? draw a line in the perverted sand, WOTC.

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:04 am

I'm fine with the ban and dumbfounded that so many people are surprised by it. Open up your eyes to the society you are a part of.
Sorry, but in Europe, you mostly are not required to notify noone about your past time served. Not to your neighbours, not in your job interview, etc...

In my opinion, if people think criminal offenders are not getting enough punishment, just increase the sentences time, otherwise you might as well tatoo "robber", "murderer", or "rapist" in people's foreheads, it will save these hassles.
In America we do tattoo rapist on foreheads, but it's more of a metaphor for destroying your life after you destroy someone else's

the inmates do.

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Mcdonalds » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:13 am

Only if you hurt kids

Apparently they draw the line at that

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Zach Jesse banned

Postby hamfactorial » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:15 am

Or if you have a cute butt

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Thrillho » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:29 am

What madding said.

The reason Chapin gets a pass is because of the victimless nature of his crime. All of the people calling for Chapin's head are ignoring the fact that he got busted for carrying MDMA, which is a very different playing field from sex crimes.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Thrillho » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:31 am

Tho it's a good thing Chapin was white when he got caught with that E, or he never would have been able to release a book and a rap album.

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Zach Jesse banned

Postby ( G_R ) » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:45 am

You are a rape victim. Your rapist's pic is featured prominently on websites owned by Hasbro.

That's what they had in mind when making the decision, I bet. And I agree.
That explains why people keep coming over for chicken nuggets

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Zach Jesse banned

Postby iamabadman » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:25 pm

i feel unsafe around drew now. im afraid he'll have a hissy fit and dox me on twitter

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Thrillho » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:35 pm

If Chapin were arrested and convicted of distributing drugs and killing a guy, I wouldn't tell you your understanding of how victimless crimes work was wrong. Unfortunately that reality is not the one we exist in.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Thrillho » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:36 pm

Most local kid selling weed has hands in cartel country, hombre. Might want to second guess that claim as well if you're now putting blood on Chapin's hands.

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:34 pm

You guys in the US sure are complicated
Originally posted by Galspanic on MTGS
I would still like to see the posts sent over to ( N_S ) and have the Salvation Gutter archived away and replaced with a link to MTGC.
Thank you for all the lies. Another fine display of integrity by iridium :thumbsup:

Blackhound
prinny dood!

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Blackhound » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:17 pm

Kinder egg.

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:38 pm

Its just that it never was an issue in the first place. Convicted pedophiles are barred from applying to jobs involving children (like being a school teaching assistant, etc...). Otherwise one person's criminal record is only accessible to the police and cannot be divulged to anyone else, so thats it. It's illegal for employers to ask about your criminal record I believe (unless its sensible jobs like safety jobs, etc...)

Also, a big majority of pedophiles here are people that typically abused someone in their family, like a nephew or something, I think it amounts to 90% of the cases, so people just know that the odds of some random abducting and raping children are fairly low (since also when the rape cases are not family related, its generally occurring from institutionalized children from bad apples in the staff.
Originally posted by Galspanic on MTGS
I would still like to see the posts sent over to ( N_S ) and have the Salvation Gutter archived away and replaced with a link to MTGC.
Thank you for all the lies. Another fine display of integrity by iridium :thumbsup:

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Zach Jesse banned

Postby ( G_R ) » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:50 pm

In my country it's the other way around. Every company requires penal and police records as part of the hiring process. The most sensitive jobs (i.e. with the most risk of you stealing something) will have you face a polygraph.

That gives ex cons great opportunities to stay away from a life of crime. :rolleyes:

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Zach Jesse banned

Postby rcwraspy » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:09 am

What exactly is it like where you are?

A lot of states in America do consider your criminal past to be "protected" in terms of employment (we have to go through yearly training about discrimination in the workplace, and ex-criminals are definitely on the list of protected classes). Employers can ask you if you've been convicted of a crime (perhaps only a felony? I'm not positive), but it's illegal to discriminate against you based off of it unless your crime is related to the position in some way.

Obviously this has an extremely low success rate, and is related to what I was talking about earlier. The "have you been convicted of a felony?" checkbox affects the weed dealer and the bar fight guy as much as it does the murder and rapist. Employers legally can't ask you for more information (on the application, at least), causing most to be weeded out (heh) right off the bat, regardless of the nature of their crime.

It's an interesting topic, because I simultaneously believe rehabilitated criminals deserve to be treated fairly in the workplace but I also sympathize with employers not wanting to feel in the dark about their employees' past criminal offenses.

Like many of the issues we face today, a good part of the solution is cultural, not legislative. I don't believe it would be impossible to solve the legislative part in America (just make the "felon" checkbox illegal to ask on an application), but the cultural aspect, as shown with this whole issue, is still up in the air: some people believe in rehabilitation and some people do not.

Has your country "solved" the cultural aspect in some respect? Could you say how, or, like most cultural things, is it just "the way it is" to you?
Sex crimes are a little different than what you're portraying here, though it's generally true otherwise.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:54 am

What exactly is it like where you are?

A lot of states in America do consider your criminal past to be "protected" in terms of employment (we have to go through yearly training about discrimination in the workplace, and ex-criminals are definitely on the list of protected classes). Employers can ask you if you've been convicted of a crime (perhaps only a felony? I'm not positive), but it's illegal to discriminate against you based off of it unless your crime is related to the position in some way.

Obviously this has an extremely low success rate, and is related to what I was talking about earlier. The "have you been convicted of a felony?" checkbox affects the weed dealer and the bar fight guy as much as it does the murder and rapist. Employers legally can't ask you for more information (on the application, at least), causing most to be weeded out (heh) right off the bat, regardless of the nature of their crime.

It's an interesting topic, because I simultaneously believe rehabilitated criminals deserve to be treated fairly in the workplace but I also sympathize with employers not wanting to feel in the dark about their employees' past criminal offenses.

Like many of the issues we face today, a good part of the solution is cultural, not legislative. I don't believe it would be impossible to solve the legislative part in America (just make the "felon" checkbox illegal to ask on an application), but the cultural aspect, as shown with this whole issue, is still up in the air: some people believe in rehabilitation and some people do not.

Has your country "solved" the cultural aspect in some respect? Could you say how, or, like most cultural things, is it just "the way it is" to you?

nj got rid of the felony box.

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:54 am

Also, a big majority of pedophiles here are people that typically abused someone in their family, like a nephew or something, I think it amounts to 90% of the cases, so people just know that the odds of some random abducting and raping children are fairly low (since also when the rape cases are not family related, its generally occurring from institutionalized children from bad apples in the staff.

thats how it is everywhere really

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:28 pm

In my country it's the other way around. Every company requires penal and police records as part of the hiring process. The most sensitive jobs (i.e. with the most risk of you stealing something) will have you face a polygraph.

That gives ex cons great opportunities to stay away from a life of crime. :rolleyes:
Wow, that's brutal. Really. Canada's similar to what the Colonel is describing: criminal history is only allowed if it's relevant to the job. That's primarily childcare.

Fuck this ban. But not literally, 'cause I don't want to get banned.
҉

Whole

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Whole » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:13 am

excerpt from my t8 profile:

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Zach Jesse banned

Postby ( G_R ) » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:09 pm

Article seems to be leaning towards the "ban was bad" camp, especially towards the end, yet the highlight is this:
Magic should be a safe and inclusive community, and having a registered sex offender as a prominent member of the community chills progress toward that goal.

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Stardust » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:09 pm

I was a little confused by that article as well. No lie, I feel like the Magic community is less inclusive after this ban. Just because someone went to jail in the past doesn't mean they're a bad person.
҉

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:08 pm

Rapists are bad people forever. Even the Magic playing ones.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:08 pm

especially*

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Stardust » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:00 pm

Nope.
҉

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:01 pm

Yup.

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Stardust » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:07 pm

Nope.
҉

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:31 pm

You're wrong and I'm right

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:31 pm

Just because you're a convicted rapist doesn't mean you're obligated to defend your kind

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Zach Jesse banned

Postby hamfactorial » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:03 pm

Checkmate, rapists!

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Stardust » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:16 pm

Society, etc, etc.
҉

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:47 am

Checkmate, rapists!
Neck beard outrage trigger on the stack

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Zach Jesse banned

Postby hamfactorial » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:35 pm

Resolves :apirate:

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Zach Jesse banned

Postby hamfactorial » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:13 pm

I identify as a nyrd

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:23 pm

I was a little confused by that article as well. No lie, I feel like the Magic community is less inclusive after this ban. Just because someone went to jail in the past doesn't mean they're a bad person.
Magic: the Gathering, a safe place for rapists and former rapists alike.

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Zach Jesse banned

Postby ( G_R ) » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:14 pm

The fastest growing rapist community on the Internet.

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Zach Jesse banned

Postby Stardust » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:13 pm

Only former rapists, please.
҉

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Zach Jesse banned

Postby ( G_R ) » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:57 am

Here's the thing (the actual crux of the matter):

There is no such thing as a "former" rapist.

Return to “News and Rumors”