Modern Masters

Post about Magic Rumors here!

Moderator: rezombad

Manasjap
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Modern Masters

Postby Manasjap » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:44 pm

Aaron Forsythe just joined the Pro Tour Webcast to announce "Modern Masters" a product targeted at Modern players.

A short run booster pack set of cards from 8th Edition to Alara Reborn. 229 card set. 15 mythics, 53 rares, 60 Uncommons, 101 Commons.

Some cards shift rarity for various reasons.

Developed with draft in mind by Lead Developer Erik Lauer. You can draft "Storm vs. Faeries vs. Dredge"!

$6.99 MSRP per pack

24 packs per box.

No basic lands. Instead of land you get a foil.

Release June 7th, 2013.

Available in English only, but distributed worldwide.

Contains no cards currently on the Modern ban list.

There will be 1 Modern Masters Limited Grand Prix next year.

20 to 30 cards with new art. Some of the Tokens are appearing in paper for the first time.

First Preview Card:

Yannaria
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yannaria » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:16 pm

I wonder how the rarities will be shifting around. Clique and Confidant at mythic?
I'll be interested to see what Kijin has to say about values in light of this set.

Guardman
Newcomer

Postby Guardman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:58 am

I don't really like the Tarmogoyf's new art. For one he looks way too big compared to the original art where he was maybe 12 to 16 feet tall. Also I just don't like it.

As for the rarities, I wouldn't be surprised to see the rare staples being all mythic, this is a money grab set afterall.

Also am I the only one expecting to see a Doubling Season reprint?

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:31 pm

I mean, this is probably going to devalue a lot of your Modern cards, but your original printings are going to be worth more because they're more rarer and also "pimp."

Personally, I'm overjoyed they're doing this because they needed a way to make the format more "open" to players without destroying Standard formats by reprinting Dark Confidant and Goyf.

Also I was a big fan of the Terminator joke in the video about Tarmogoyf. re: He's a future-shifted pre-print from a set he's a reprint in.

The biggest thing this does is decrease the insane value of some commons/uncommons, and also possibly some rares that are being rereleased as Uncommons.

I would invest heavily in MM.
I don't really like the Tarmogoyf's new art. For one he
looks way too big compared to the original art where he was maybe 12 to 16 feet tall. Also I just don't like it.

As for the rarities, I wouldn't be surprised to see the rare staples being all mythic, this is a money grab set afterall.

Also am I the only one expecting to see a Doubling Season reprint?
Doubling Season is a Commander card so I don't think it'd work out the way you think.

I don't think the Mythic rarity will be used the way you think. I expect a reprint of Thoughtseize, but it'd be the literal opposite of what they said Mythics would be used for if they upgraded its rarity. I fully expect, for example, Urborg to be reprinted at Mythic, as well as stuff like... idk, Chord of Calling? Kiki-Jiki? that sort of stuff -- big splashy mythic kaboom effects (as vanilla as Goyf is, it's still a potential 8/9 for 2 mana).

poggydude

Postby poggydude » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:35 pm

i like how goyf is bigger in this art, it shows that they realize how big goyf should be, which ey didnt at first

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:59 pm

invest in mm?

I.E. buy a box?

MM draft also anyone.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:39 pm

i like how goyf is bigger in this art, it shows that they realize how big goyf should be, which ey didnt at first
to be fair, it's kind of hard to tell what's going on at all pretty much in future-old goyf's art.
invest in mm?

I.E. buy a box?

MM draft also anyone.
i plan on buying as many cases as my lgs feels comfortable selling me. read that as you will.

also take note that fetchlands will not be in this set, and why it is important to make sure you have yours going forward.

poggydude

Postby poggydude » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:49 pm

goyfs hand barely hold a human, now he completely dwarves deer, i think that is a sizeable err size difference

Yannaria
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yannaria » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:32 pm

I don't often buy sealed magic product, but I plan on buying at least a box of this. Thrillho, until we see the full setlist, would it be wise to invest into money uncommons line Spell Snare and Finks, or just wait until this set drops?
Should I pickup just a set of fetches to have for modern?

re:tarm's new art vs. old art: I'm a fan of the FS card frame, so if I ever need goyfs I'll likely get those. I think both arts are ugly as hell though.

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:35 pm

re:tarm's new art vs. old art: I'm a fan of the FS card frame, so if I ever need goyfs I'll likely get those. I think both arts are ugly as hell though.
I think the old one is like 3.5/10. Yet the new one is 2/10.

This said, old art became iconic due to the card popularity, so I guess it grew on everyone.
Originally posted by Galspanic on MTGS
I would still like to see the posts sent over to ( N_S ) and have the Salvation Gutter archived away and replaced with a link to MTGC.
Thank you for all the lies. Another fine display of integrity by iridium :thumbsup:

Yannaria
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yannaria » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:40 pm

I think the old one is like 3.5/10. Yet the new one is 2/10.

This said, old art became iconic due to the card popularity, so I guess it grew on everyone.
tbf, Luhrlogoyfs aren't conducive to have pretty looking art because I've still got no clue what the hell a tarmogoyf is anyway.
as opposed to something like an angel, which can have more elegant art. The goyfs all look aggressive and ugly.

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Postby ( G_R ) » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:01 pm

Is there any word about MTGO? I'm sure it will be released there, and at about $69 for a 'goyf right now, it will be a welcome increase in card availability.
That explains why people keep coming over for chicken nuggets

imopen2
Tire Aficionado

Postby imopen2 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:31 am

what I read on wizards said that it will be available for draft on mtgo but will not be available for redemption. I'm not sure what that means for its availability in the store though...
Kijin Zabuza: My pokemon cards bring the boys to the yard
Kijin Zabuza: And they're like, "Oh **** he has cards"
TwinBGenerationX: damn right
TwinBGenerationX: I wanna trade cards I could trade you, BUT NOT MY CHARIZARD!

Captain Murphy
The highest high, I'm Ayatollah

Postby Captain Murphy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:08 am

How much is it for a case these days?
It's too bad we don't have a secret subforum where we can coordinate troll attempts where only we can see so that we don't have to catch on because only one of us is an actual rocket scientist.
I am particularly interested in committing internet genocide
in soviet gutter, New York somewhere in you

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado

Postby ( G_R ) » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:17 am

what I read on wizards said that it will be available for draft on mtgo but will not be available for redemption. I'm not sure what that means for its availability in the store though...
Oh, it means that you cannot trade it for physical product, but it will be available digitally. Here's hoping for cheaper goyfs...
That explains why people keep coming over for chicken nuggets

imopen2
Tire Aficionado

Postby imopen2 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:02 am

Oh, it means that you cannot trade it for physical product, but it will be available digitally. Here's hoping for cheaper goyfs...
yea i get that, but since they are saying they will keep the amount printed at a minimum, i wonder if they will even have the product available in the online store. will it sell out after a certain point? how will they prevent goyf/other staples
from plummeting in value online? do they not care?

Captain Murphy

Postby Captain Murphy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:03 am

How much is it for a case these days?
Is there a price yet? Anywhere?
It's too bad we don't have a secret subforum where we can coordinate troll attempts where only we can see so that we don't have to catch on because only one of us is an actual rocket scientist.

imopen2
Tire Aficionado

Postby imopen2 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:31 am

well boosters will be $6.99 each and boxes will be 24 packs instead of 36. so using the powers of math a box would be ~115 give or take considering the ~70% markdown on current boxes of $4 packs. so I would guess around $550-650 for a case if they even package them that way?

Edit: but prob closer to the 650 side

Captain Murphy

Postby Captain Murphy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:57 am

well boosters will be $6.99 each and boxes will be 24 packs instead of 36. so using the powers of math a box would be ~115 give or take considering the ~70% markdown on current boxes of $4 packs. so I would guess around $550-650 for a case if they even package them that way?

Sweet, $650US is like $3AUD

Captain Murphy

Postby Captain Murphy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:57 am

Nah I be playing

jonnyjonski
In need of elder care

Postby jonnyjonski » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Nah I be playing
Dang!! You
poor grassy bitches are some rich fuckers!
HHRRRrrmmmmmmmm.....

Return to “News and Rumors”