Buying a Conspiracy Box?

Discussions about the secondary market for Magic Cards. What's Hot? What has fallen from grace?

Moderator: Thrillho

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Buying a Conspiracy Box?

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:26 pm

I'm a great fan of this set because of the older cart reprints, but also because of the stunning old-school artwork.

I've recently bought a 36booster display to sit on it for a while (might draft it a few years from now or just flip it if it gets to insane values on the secondary market ala modern masters) but I am contemplating buying another one to crack open (I know that I won't recoup the cost of the display, but it will give me some enjoyment since I really like this set).

So bottomline, is it a good idea? I can get it for 90€ (assume 1€=1$ when it comes to general prices of packaged magic products, its always a little bit more expensive here), should I pull the trigger? I think some of these cards might become really scarce in the future since I don't see this getting mass printed (WOTC said it would be printed until demand dwindles) and I believe most of the cards are being undervalued
as of now.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Originally posted by Galspanic on MTGS
I would still like to see the posts sent over to ( N_S ) and have the Salvation Gutter archived away and replaced with a link to MTGC.
Thank you for all the lies. Another fine display of integrity by iridium :thumbsup:

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:21 pm

Conspiracy print run will be semi-unlimited, so the price ceiling won't be as high as MMA. Your boxes could go up after a few years when the retail demand dwindles.

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:45 pm

Retail demand will dwindle before the end of this year, certainly. I highly doubt we'll be seeing additional printings into 2015, so buying a box to sit on will almost certainly pay off (so long as you don't mind the hassle of selling it later). Likewise, most of the cards will likely start increasing in price towards the end of the year as people realise they want cards they can no longer get boxes for. Opening one now might not end up paying itself off, but your cards will gain some value in the future, even if it's not quite enough to break even.
҉

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:55 pm

Yeah, I think the set is fun, and currently undervalued, so my reasoning is that I might to want to uy a box to do some drafts along the line, and even if I don't have the chance to do it, I might just flip it down the line for a small profit, so it seems like a win/win situation for me
Originally posted by Galspanic on MTGS
I would still like to see the posts sent over to ( N_S ) and have the Salvation Gutter archived away and replaced with a link to MTGC.
Thank you for all the lies. Another fine display of integrity by iridium :thumbsup:

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:38 pm

It is pretty fun. Certainly some novel ideas in there at least. Last (and only) draft I did I got 2 Vent Sentinel in pack 1 and never saw another. My deck was shit without them, but I had a bunch of looters to dig... so maybe it'll work? Then I saw a Worldknit pack 3 and just grabbed it since I was already considering playing four colours. My deck was still shit (35x Plains!), but it's not often you get to feel like you're playing EDH in a draft.

Long story short, yeah, go for it. Have some fun.
҉

rezombad
Tire Aficionado

Postby rezombad » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:10 pm

So much fun. I've done about 5 drafts and had a great time every time, 2x pack1 pick 1 worldknit goodstuff.dec, grixis control, bug control, bw token-lifegain nonsense.
You post on dtr? Cool? Honestly, I don't know who posts there and who doesn't.
I actually read that site quite a bit but its mostly because a lot of the people I used to interact with on MTGS are over there.
It should be a privilege to post here

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:09 pm

Guess you guys all know how the turned out.
If you didn't open foils of some of the premier cards, you didn't win.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:48 am

i drafted someone elses and hated it
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Return to “Market Street Café”