Gunning for Tactical/Practical Reviews

Kick a seat and discuss whatever you want. Laid back discussions mandatory!

Moderator: ( G_R )

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Gunning for Tactical/Practical Reviews

Postby Wraith223 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:12 pm

Welcome to my reviews of weapons, gear, clothing, and random tactical/practical items. It is hobby of mine to prep a little. My idea of prepping is to avoid confrontation and survive as quietly as possible. Why? You don’t know what your threats have prepared for you. You don’t know if your threats are better than you in skill and weapon. You only know your strengths and weaknesses. These reviews are for your benefit as I have wasted big $ on crap in the past. Prepping is a learning curve that constantly adapts and upgrades. Use my newest and greatest finds to your advantage.

What if don’t give a shit about prepping? That is fine because it is a life choice and I have expanded my review to include practical gear and clothing reviews. They may appear tactical, but simple colors are available and I will note that.

I will generally start with a firearm I use or have tested followed by
tactical and later practical items. Feel free to ask questions and for more pictures, but sometimes the guns or gear I have reviewed are not owned by me. Thus more pictures may not be available unless online.

Sometimes I may put a simple review of a weapon or gear that I thought SUCKED or was awsome that as public service. It is stuff I just discovered and have not bought yet that is going on the list to get or to avoid like the plauge. Feel free to ask me questions as well.

Lastly, this a monthly review and it might take longer than that for an update when March hits as I hope to be in the Dallas PD academy.

Please do not post any political snipes/discussion in here. If you don’t like guns; go somewhere else or read the practical part of the review only.

December reviews
1. Karh CW-45. Paid 449.80 with tax. Bought at gun show new in box. Came with one magazine.
2. 5.11 Rush 24 Backpack (multicam). Paid $120.00 (new in bag) on ebay for it. Regular is 169.00
multicam and simple colors are $129.99.
3. Patagonia Men’s Adze Jacket (Forge Grey). Paid $130.00 for it on BackCountryEdge.com. Regular $139.99.

January Reviews
1. Old School Stogger Shotgun
2. Lion Steel Machete
3. 5.11 versus Vertx Tactical Pants

February Reveiws
1. If you can't kill it with the Marlin Guide Gun (45-70); it's immortal!
2. Punching your way through with the Blackhawk! Kevlar HD gloves to victory.
3. Watching your targets carefully with the Nikon Action (Zoom) 10-22x50.

March Reviews Gear Failure!
Crimson Trace CMR-201 rail mounted laser
NC Star- Quick disconnect scope mount, 3-9x42 scope, Rubberized 3-9x42 scope, and Red Dot Sight

April: To Be announced.
Last edited by Wraith223 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Author of Gunning for Tactical/Practical - http://diestoremoval.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2103
Current Decks
Commander- Kaalia (Dega) and Nekusar (Grixis)
Modern- UB Faeries and Splinter Twin
Standard- Mono-black Devotion
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:20 pm

The Kahr CW-45

For those needing a small .45 pistol I present to you this beauty.
IMG_0859.JPG
This how is comes in the box. The box is hard plastic and is very portable. It lacks a locks hole for going through airport security thus I recommend buying a Pelican 1170 case for around $35-25 at academy for the gun. You only get one magazine and it holds 6 with +1 in the chamber (7 total). Take down on the gun is very simple as you only need to pull the take down pin, pull the trigger (empty of course), and pull the slide forward. Beware, the recoil spring is not attached to the recoil spring guide rod. It will leave the slide group at ludicrous speed if not held properly. Here are the Specs and take down of weapon:
Caliber: .45 ACP
Capacity: 6+1
Operation: Trigger cocking DAO; lock breech; "Browning - type" recoil lug; passive striker block;
no magazine disconnect
Barrel: 3.64", conventional rifling, 1 - 16.38 right-hand twist
Length O/A: 6.32"
Height: 4.8"
Slide Width: 1.01"
Weight: Pistol 19.7 oz., Magazine 2 oz.
Grips: Textured polymer
Sights: Drift adjustable white bar-dot combat rear sight, pinned in polymer front sight
Finish: Black polymer frame, matte stainless steel slide
IMG_0860.JPG
Taking the gun to the range begins a training session. The gun uses a rolling cam to operate the firing pin. Thus you have a long trigger pull that feels odd. Glocks use a simple tension bar and spring. An issue is created with the rolling cam. You must release your trigger finger all the way off the trigger each time or it will jam. The rolling trigger needs all the movement to reset. I had this issue at first but quickly trained myself in about 50 rounds. A side bonus is found in the slightly slowed follow up shots. I am now more accurate and comfortable
operating the weapon as I can feel the cam work like a stick shift sports car. Another training regiment you will learn is not getting Glock leg. There is NO safety besides your training, actions, and finger. If don’t know what Glock leg is; entertain yourself on youtube. When drawing the weapon, do not put your finger in the trigger guard till you target is in view of the barrel. It will feel slow, but training will speed you up. Lastly, start at the 5 feet from the target when shooting and progress away from the target to find the real sight plane of the gun.
According to the manufacturer, you have to put 200 rounds in the gun to break it in. This is false as my sister shot perfect tens with it in the first magazine. Kahr wants you to train with it to break you in with the weapon. Also, do not reload ammo from the Kahr weapons. It D’s the brass upon firing and ejection. You may need to pick through ammo as some beefy looking ammo is not cycled well in the gun. My Kahr did not like Hornday.
Accuracy is
to be expected from a small frame barrel. At 10-15 feet, the weapon is accurate. Anything more than that; you are going for simple body shots. This weapon is for close range shots, thus the CCW appeal is high for its purpose.
Aftermarket accessories on the Kahr are not widely available. There are tritium night sights but you need a gun smith to peen out the front sight and skill is highly required. Only use factory Kahr magazines as Pro-mags are often rejected by the frame or do not cycle properly.
You might think that after all the issues laid out before you call for a lemon gun without training, but carrying the weapon is where is shines brightest. Nothing sticks out to catch your clothes and the large caliber is hidden in a small system. You soon realize the safeties your other guns trick you with are hassles the Kahr rewards you by not having. It is a sleek sports car giving you a minimalist operation and non-restrictive/abrasive carry for real casual look. No vest. No awkward holsters are needed with
this gun. James Bond might have favored this elegant piece if the franchise were not bought out by Walther. As you can see in the pictures of me, the weapon is not in my way at all. The jacket you hides the large caliber gun with no tells. I am not getting poked with hammers and does not require bending the arm to walk with it. It is the perfect gentlemen’s gun with business suits and casual as well.
IMG_0862.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0868.JPG
Author of Gunning for Tactical/Practical - http://diestoremoval.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2103
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Tactical- 5.11 Rush 24 Multicam Backpack

We all need something to put our magic cards in. Our backpacks are statement of us just as much as a Mass Effect 3 t-shirt. I have used multiple packs from a the huge Condor 3 day to the Swiss gear Laptop bags. I found Condor to be pure shit as it stained badly, cracked from UV light exposure and the clips broke very easy. 5.11 is a mega step up. Here are the specifications:
-Durable1050D nylon
-Water-repellant coating
-20" H x 12.5" L x 8" D main compartment
- 2070 cubic inch capacity
-Adjustable height sternum strap
-Two external compression straps
-Contoured yoke shoulder strap system
-Twin drainage grommets
-Self-repairing YKK® zippers
-Glove-friendly pull tabs
-Dual zipping side pockets
-Hydration pocket
-Stuff-it pocket with integrated draw cord
-Reinforced grab-and-go handle
-Wrap-around MOLLE/SlickStick web platform
-Three mesh
admin compartments
-Zippered fleece-lined eyewear pocket
-VELCRO® brand fastener nametape and flag patches
-Available colors are Black, OD, Sandstone, Flat Dark Earth, and Multicam
That’s a lot for us to work with. As you can see, the main compartment has this cool slide in feature for our binder. It holds three decks across with room to spare. I can stuff a jacket on top easy with the decks. There are simple mesh pockets on the flap I stuff my gloves and another for electronics cords. One issue I found was that it needed a bottom tray. I made one out of leather cause anything else might rub holes.
IMG_0870.JPG
IMG_0871.JPG
Here are some of the smaller compartments.
My stuff is organized and easy to get to in the secondary pocket. The two top pockets are kind of a joke as they don’t connect. Small snacks in one pocket, and my meds in the other (anti-acid,
alieve, asthma meds, and inhaler). The sunglasses pocket is not for sunglasses. They will get crushed. I prefer to use it as my Ipod pocket. The side pocket is rather odd as well, but welcomed as it is a good snack holder for Ostrim jerky. You could fit M4 mags there if needed. The padded back pocket is too small. It would squish all the water out of a cheap hydration carrier. It is not really big enough for a binder either, thus I put small single documents in there.
IMG_0872.JPG
IMG_0873.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_0875.JPG
IMG_0876.JPG
Comfortability is better than most or all tactical packs I have used/tried. The shoulder load bearers are extremely well made for
long treks or fat loads. There is not a waste belt and that is an issue if going long distance, but short trips the belt could get in the way if it was there. The odd compression straps on the top sides appear worthless, but are really for tiered systems (see 5.11 tier system).
IMG_0867.JPG
IMG_0866.JPG
This pack is really well made, but Maxpedition versions might be better organized. It is really a flex of your wallet to buy this. Any pack might work, but I like this to upgrade with all the Molle, looks cool, and useful in real military/LE actions if necessary. The big bonus you pay for is UV protected thread and 1050D Nylon. I have done some serious mountain hiking in it and my shoulders don’t hurt like other packs I had/use. The side pouch is a water carrier from Condor. 5.11 has yet to come out with a water carrier in Multicam.
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:33 pm

Practical- Patagonia Men’s Adze Jacket, Forge Grey.

In Texas, jackets are only needed for about 2 months out of the year. I usually use a giant Carhartt jacket as it works no matter what and is damn near indestructible. The issue is that it is bulky and I look like Farmer Bob in it. Not great for FNM or bigger events. I needed a soft shell jacket. You could spend a lot on jackets like from Arc’teryx or a Wal-Mart cheapo. In Boy Scouts, I destroyed countless soft shells, and found not many have decent stitching. Arc’teryx has a nice version of the Atom, but that sucker gets hot fast. The Bravo ($329) or Minotaur ($550) from the same company is perfect, but at the price demanded I look harder. The North Face had a decent soft shell called the Apex Bionic ($140-160), but the wrist Velcro straps sucked. The fit was to narrow for concealed carry or an all you can night. I soon discovered the Patagonia Adze jacket. At $140, I
could easily afford this and the durability was excellent. It had an inside pocket and the fit was big enough to accommodate my weapon or an attack on Krispy Crème Doughnut. One big bonus was the color choices I could use. Arc’teryx had awesome Leaf (law enforcement) colors of crocodile or grey, and The North Face was still using color schemes from the 1980’s. Patagonia offered colors in spades in greens, blues, black, cool evil red, hickory brown, and what I needed…Forge Grey. Grey goes with anything and hides bulges perfectly whether it be dinner or my weapon. I bought for cheap and loved it. At other stores, I compared it to the Arc’Teryx and the only difference was that Arc’teryx breathed slightly better. But the price difference of nearly $300-400…>_> Patagonia had scored a touchdown with their product in quality, build design, and price. The pictures in the Kahr review and Rush 24 pack should suffice, but here is a picture of the inside.
IMG_0877.JPG
You have a small pocket for a phone, and the hand pockets extend the length of the mesh. There is one small issue with Patagonia. The don’t make clothes for cough….overweight….cough folks. If it is XX-large; it fits Micheal Jordan, not Fat Bastard. Please try it on before buying. Same goes for Arc’teryx in the extreme. One large bonus and goal was completed for me with this jacket. It fits perfectly under an Arc’teryx Alpha SV rain jacket for layering.
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Mogadishu Jones
The Superfluous Man

Postby Mogadishu Jones » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:17 am

Any advice on which deodorant will keep me the dryest during a potential emergency, while not giving away my position via odor?

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Any advice on which deodorant will keep me the dryest during a potential emergency, while not giving away my position via odor?
Depending on where you live, deodorant may not be viable in emergencies such as mass power outages in hot conditions. I use cheap speed sticks that have limited smell. Go to your local grocery and pick a under arm stick that is semi powder, not gel, with the least smell possible. In an emergency situation, deodorant is a luxury. Why concerned about it? You probably won't encounter any bushman that use heightened senses to track you.
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Mogadishu Jones
The Superfluous Man

Postby Mogadishu Jones » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:16 am

Cause i cant stand my own stank tbh.

Mogadishu Jones
The Superfluous Man

Postby Mogadishu Jones » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:18 am

Like i really thought about this as far as an emergency is concerned, I can handle not showering and teeth brushing and shit, but fuck body odor.

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Like i really thought about this as far as an emergency is concerned, I can handle not showering and teeth brushing and shit, but fuck body odor.
Maybe you should not drink gin or eat onion/garlic based foods? :rofl:

Body stink will be the least of your concern if the shit hits the fan. Now if we are fighting together in an Abrams tank; I might hang some car scented trees around your arms. I asked a friend of mine that served in Iraq and he found that deodorant only works in decent weather for about 4 hours. If the heat is above 110; it lasts at best 2 hours when you are outside 24/7. Thus it is pure luxury and you would need a truck load
for it to work. Luckily dry heat is better but humid heat might be worse like Houston Texas weather.
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Mogadishu Jones
The Superfluous Man

Postby Mogadishu Jones » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:12 pm

I'm from Louisiana its so humid I can feel the air.

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Rothco makes a dry deodorant you can order online. It's a military company.
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:16 pm

The Kahr CW-45
Not challenging you, just wondering... who "needs" a .45? The only reason I can think to need one is because the rounds are sub-sonic and you are using a suppressor. For the preppers out there, I would think they would prefer 9mm, because if the shit hits the fan you may have to obtain your ammo parasitically, and 9mm is ubiquitous.
Last edited by Zooligan on Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:05 pm

I'm from Louisiana its so humid I can feel the air.
It would be semi-accurate to state one swims through the air at times

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:26 pm

The Kahr CW-45
Not challenging you, just wondering... who "needs" a .45? The only reason I can think to need one is because the rounds are sub-sonic and you are using a suppressor. For the preppers out there, I would think they would prefer 9mm, because if the shit hits the fan you may have to obtain your ammo parasitically, and 9mm is ubiquitous.
I grew up on 45 acp and 44 mag. Pigs and similar Texas game can survive 9mm hits more often than I like. 9mm can be more accurate and carry
more rounds. The bonus of 45 is something to be considered. The knockdown power is needed on targets that heavy weight, high on drugs, and bigger than a man. Many a German in WW2 wished they had a 45 instead of a 9mm when realizing the enemy is behind a thin wall. You can get 9mm in hydro shock to equall a 45, but 45 in hydro shock is :yes:
It is personal choice as I prefer 44 mag more, but no one makes a reliable auto in it worth buying. If you want 9mm; go for it. Kahr makes them and the choices are endless. I do ask that you keep the pomp down on "who needs 45". Try asking why you would a 45? Large game, vehicle and wall penetration, big body builds, one shot kills are reasons I see 45 as an excellent choice.
Lately, I disagree that 9mm is easier to find. There are more 45 ammo choices on the shelves than 9mm. I found 9mm in bulk, but it's just fmj. Home defense or hollow points are in limited supply on
the shelf lately. I can only guess the BS of why that is as it should not be so. 40 seems to be worse. One round I would love to try in depth is 357 sig. I have shot one and liked it, but have yet to put it to my tests.
Lastly, 45 use with suppressor is :shrug: It's just an option and the myths on suppressors are BS. They work with all calibers as long is the tin can and gun are quality products. It's nice to have it as you gain sneak attack, but 45 versus other calibers with suppressor use is a poor comparison discussion. Different calibers>>>>>different jobs. That is how I look at it. If you want to discuss it more; create a thread and ask the community.
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

January Edition

Postby Wraith223 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Gunning for Tactical/Practical January Edition

Old West Removal- The Stoeger side by side shotgun
Hack and Slash- Lion Steel Machete
Battle of Pants!- 5.11 versus Vertx

Welcome to another addition of your favorite tactical pron review ( ^_^ yeah I ripped off G4 channel gadget pron because it’s just too good). This month’s review is for the folks who just can’t have super cool toys. That’s right, I am talking to you Californians who can’t have nice things. Although you can get a lot accomplished with a shotgun and machete and still look :viking: without an AR-15. Lastly, 5.11 has held the winning spot with me and many others as one of the best, affordable, quality
tactical pant, but a strong dueler just showed up to contest that claim. Who will cover your ass better and still not take it out of your ass with poor quality and cost?

1. Stoeger Shotgun- retail is $499, can be found for $300 if you look hard enough. Multiple options are available: brushed nickel, blue, blue stainless (should be called mariner), and black tactical with rails for light and ported (not listed on website). http://www.stoegerindustries.com/coach- ... Scumbag-section

There is a special love in my stainless steel heart for shotguns. :hug: They are simple, reliable, and easy to use but devastating in results :evil: . How is a stagecoach gun tactical and worthy of prepper use? They never
jam, thus reliability is high. You can break down the weapon and store them in a small space. If you live in a poor gun rights state or country; many shotguns like this one are ignored or are considered for hunting only. It is fun with CQB cause aiming/maneuverability is easy. Lastly, they are affordable and shotgun ammo is plentiful with options for the task needed.
My version of the Stoeger Coach gun is the brushed nickel. Cowboy action shooting is a hobby of mine and the old school look is rather appealing. Cleaning the weapon can be accomplished by any aggie. Break down is just as easy.
IMG_0862.JPG
IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG
Shooting it is fun and brings you back to the old west movies. You can pull both triggers at the same time for maximum damage. Your sight is just a BB, but aiming with a
no chock couch gun is limited as the barrel is short as well at 20 inches. It will throw flame at night. If you get the tactical version; DO NOT FIRE IT AT NIGHT! It is ported and will blind you (kills night vision). Why they put rails on it for a light is beyond me as porting ruins night use. The other versions are perfectly fine and the kick is negligible. If you have issue shooting 12 gauge from kick; shoot more to strength your arm and toughen up. The spread is very wide and slightly random. This gun shines in a major option that a lot of shotguns won’t allow you to do. You can shoot any shotgun round! I have shot slug, buckshot, combo of slug and buck, duck, and Phosphorus rounds. Many shotguns are purpose built and not made for certain rounds, thus this Stoeger shotgun allows you to shoot any 12 gauge round of 2-3/4" and 3". Perfect prepper gun as you can scavenge for more options.
There isn’t much else to discuss with this weapon, but you can do something cool with it provided you follow
your local laws. Do you remember Mad Max? Yeah, this gun converts nicely to a lupara gun. A lupara gun is a break action shotgun cut down to pistol size. It increases CQB use and severely widens the spread.

2. Lion Steel Machete- Retail for about $189, got mine from Blade HQ for $169 (price was lower years ago), 2 versions of stainless or blued. http://www.bladehq.com/item--Lion-Steel ... -M5S--7604

Machetes are not just for cool looks. They can save your life by saving time moving through brush, tool for creating survival shelters and snares/traps, harvest game, and can be a significant offensive weapon. Many machetes are too thin in my opinion as they can bend in high heat or crack in extreme cold. That is why I prefer Lion Steel. Here are the specifications.
• Overall Length:18.11"
• Blade Length:12.20"
• Blade Thickness:0.20"
• Blade Material:1075
• Blade Style:
Trailing Point
• Blade Finish: Black
• Edge Type: Plain
• Handle Length:5.89"
• Handle Material: Micarta
• Weight: 1 lb. 6.00 oz.
• Sheath: Nylon
• Country of Origin: Italy
My target machete is for my tactical pack. It needs to attach molle style to the side of my pack comfortably and not sticking out. A thick blade in my opinion will last longer as you take off material while sharpening. Also, a super long blade is not what I need as it weakens the strength on the blade for fighting. The handle must also be micarta as it won’t give you blister as fast and won’t be slippery when wet.
IMG_0865.JPG
IMG_0866.JPG
IMG_0867.JPG

The sheath is crap and expected it to be from years of buying knives. I had my dad (Doug’s Saddlery) make me a custom Scabbard for it that uses molle design packs.
It cost around $110 for the scabbard as it is custom made. Don’t skimp on the scabbard as your blade will live it 98% of the time.
I took this machete on my trip to the San Juan National Forest. I did not use it to make a fire or build a shelter, but only used it to clear an area that needed it near a scenic outlook spot for picture taking. It functioned flawlessly. The thick blade takes the work way from heavy swinging to cut thick shit. I also take it with me to state parks when I Geo Cache as a probe and tool for clearing the spot of the Geo Cache. Nothing about the tool has let me down. Cleaning and care require vigilance. Machetes will rust and fast. I actually put on my calendar a cleaning date for it every 2 months of 3 in 1 oil. This is a requirement and not a suggestion. This a great tool and they require care, thus don’t hold that against it.
IMG_0717.JPG
Last edited by Wraith223 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Gunning for Tactical/Practical part 2

Postby Wraith223 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:28 pm

Gunning for Tactical/Practical January Edition continued

3. Tactical Pants Showdown of 5.11 and Vertx.
*5.11 Taclite Pro Pant- $49.99, colors: Black, Khaki, TDU Green, Coyote, Tundra, Charcoal, Dark Navy, and Stone. Also come in Taclite shorts version for $47.99.
*Phantom Vertx pant (VTX8000)- $45-49.99 (Top Brass Military Tactical bottom price), Color: Dessert Tan, Black, OD Green, Navy Blue, and Khaki. Also comes in shorts.

There are many brands of tactical pant and these two are my favorite and conundrum. Who has the better tactical pant. I have worn 5.11 products for years and Vertx is still relatively new. To make sense of this discussion I will begin with 5.11, move onto Vertx, and finally compare the builds.
5.11 produces excellent clothing in my experience. I own multiple pairs of 5.11 Taclite Pro pants. The
one I will review is the green version.
IMG_0870.JPG
IMG_0871.JPG
The specifications are the following:
-Teflon treated for stain resistance
-Strap and Slash pocket
-Double reinforced knees
-Fade and Wrinkle Resistant
-YKK zippers and Prym snaps
I have tried many military tactical pants and hated the cargo pocket as the lay open and shit falls out. 5.11 cargo pants are Velcro locked down and worked fine. The bonus cell phone pocket is great as well, but only works with smaller phones. I am used to button jeans, but hate military crotch buttons. 5.11 has a snap and zippers, but also has this weird single button flap system below the zipper and snap. I guess the snap is not strong enough to hold together under a turkey dinner stress. The button is a pain to handle when carry a concealed weapon in most holsters. They have never failed, but only create a hassle
in the restroom. I can live with that.
IMG_0872.JPG
IMG_0873.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
These pants have been worn for 3 years and they still look new. The belt loops are fairly the same as a Wrangler jean, thus no issue with a majority of belts and holsters. The knife pocket is rather nice as you pull your keys and the knife is out of the way. I never use the rear pockets as I hate something poking me in butt when I drive or sit down (Down redthirst…Down boy). That being said, Velcro keeps your stuff from falling out. There is an issue with Velcro. Heat and sand destroy Velcro fast. Cold/freezing weather break Velcro fast. If your weather is timid; Velcro is fine. At year 2, I noticed the Velcro was weakening. It is still easier to access rather than old military style buttons. That is the trade off.
There is also a weird horizontal strap on the butt. I have never used this and have to find a use for it yet.
Daily use has been wonderful. If they get wet; they dry really fast. Fitting is a little tight around the waste and there is a known issue. Your balls have to pick a side as the crotch cut is a sharp divide. I wear a size a little larger than I should to accommodate a concealed weapon, thus I did not notice it. When you wear them; others have told me they look and feel tactical wear. This statement will matter later. I have worn them during dirty activities such as oil changes, mowing heavy brush, and heavy airsoft play. All stains have come out in one wash. The only stain that has never come out was from a pen that made it to the laundry and broke in the dryer. Total loss and I don’t expect 5.11 to expect that type of stain.

Vertx shocked me with quality and a well thought out design. Specs:
-Hidden zipper pocket behind main
-IntelliDRY (Teflon version of 5.11 anti stain)
-Extra insert
pocket in cargo pocket for organization
-Reinforced knee
-Wrangler button and zipper design (no sub button/flap)
The first thing I noticed about these pants was that the tactical look and feel was not there. It felt and looked like dress slacks. Anti-stain and drying are the same as 5.11.
IMG_0875.JPG
IMG_0877.JPG
The pockets were roomy and the hidden zipper pocket is really useful for carrying money or documents. The cargo pockets are not Velcro but instead sewn deep over each other prevent weight hang. They are slightly more difficult to access but they never wear out. The belt loops are slightly wider and are set for slight off hand holster carry (hides the weapon out of sight when wearing a jacket unzipped). There is no knife pocket but instead a wider cut to accommodate the knife better.

IMG_0879.JPG[/ attachment] [attachment=1]IMG_0880.JPG
The crotch set is perfect and comfortable. There is a bigger fabric pedestal for your balls to hang straight and not sideways. There is a wrangler style button instead of a snap thus the need for a back up waste button and flap is not needed. Zipper quality is the same.
IMG_0881.JPG
Guess what rhymes with Verdict? VERTX! Their product fixes the few issues 5.11 has. There are not many issues, but they are annoying. Also, Vertx Phantom Pants can be found for $5 less. 5.11 have more colors to choose from. Both do not offer them in brown as I really prefer. Sizing in the Vertx tends to go slightly larger than 5.11 and I highly recommend trying them on before ordering.
Attachments
IMG_0880.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:54 pm

Good stuff - one issue:

I've never heard of a Shotgun->Pistol conversion being called a "leopard" gun, but they are known as "lupara" guns. Something to keep in mind is that if you buy a lupara gun (or transfer ownership) all you need to pay Uncle Sam is a $5 tax stamp, but iirc, modifying a shotgun into one is considered manufacturing an AOW and costs $200.
:sherlock:
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:03 pm

Good stuff - one issue:

I've never heard of a Shotgun->Pistol conversion being called a "leopard" gun, but they are known as "lupara" guns. Something to keep in mind is that if you buy a lupara gun (or transfer ownership) all you need to pay Uncle Sam is a $5 tax stamp, but iirc, modifying a shotgun into one is considered manufacturing an AOW and costs $200.
:sherlock:
Damn. thanks. I had never uactually seen the word typed and only heard it spoken from a cajun and texan. I was careful to mention the legality issue though.
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:08 am

Lastly, 45 use with suppressor is :shrug: It's just an option and the myths on suppressors are BS. They work with all calibers as long is the tin can and gun are quality products. It's nice to have it as you gain sneak attack, but 45 versus other calibers with suppressor use is a poor comparison discussion. Different calibers>>>>>different jobs. That is how I look at it. If you want to discuss it more; create a thread and ask the community.
This is patently not true. All calibers are not created equal. Some calibers are loaded so their projectiles travel faster than the speed of sound. Those projectiles will create a sonic crack. No
way around it. It's a physical reality.

Other calibers, including the .45 ACP are inherently subsonic. Their projectiles don't break the sound barrier. Such calibers are much more effectively supressed because the only noise from them is muzzle blast, and action cycling if you want to get really picky.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:16 am

Btw, isn't lupara "scattergun" in some Italian dialect (Sicilian, Neapolitan, something).

EDIT: Just looked it up. Means "for the wolf" in Sicilian. lupa = lupine = wolf. I shoulda figured that out. Not sure if they mean the 4-legged kind or the two-legged...

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:40 am

The blade length on that machete doesn't seem long enough to me. Granted, when I bought mine I was specifically looking for length so as to keep as much distance between me and the dog/cougar/snapping turtle as possible and you make a good point that you really want a low arc for speed and maneuverability, but in daily use hacking down brush seems like it would get pretty tiring.

Also, just a suggestion for a future article, I'd like to hear what you'd buy as far as anti-animal protective clothing goes; something to keep from getting bit by, oh, I dunno, dogs, cougars, or snapping turtles.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:20 pm

What we need for future articles is a list of must-have gear for the inevitable Zombie or Non Zombie Apocalypse.

Let's not bother to try and put up any pretenses that we're not all crazy as hell.
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

I love the D...

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:43 pm

The blade length on that machete doesn't seem long enough to me. Granted, when I bought mine I was specifically looking for length so as to keep as much distance between me and the dog/cougar/snapping turtle as possible and you make a good point that you really want a low arc for speed and maneuverability, but in daily use hacking down brush seems like it would get pretty tiring.

Also, just a suggestion for a future article, I'd like to hear what you'd buy as far as anti-animal protective clothing goes; something to keep from getting bit by, oh, I dunno, dogs, cougars, or snapping turtles.
I have another machete that is longer, but i get tired faster with it cause I have to swing harder than the heavy lion steel version. Ever swing a cheap
light weight axe? You get tired fast without cutting as much wood (oak and Mesquite for me in Texas). I prefer a heavy axe to do my work for me and you will build muscle for it. Your thoughts on engaging animals with a machete are not well thought out. The machete you have in mind is for slashing not stabbing. Generally, long machetes are thin in blade and weak to bending. Chargeing animals require piercing weapons as you will be to slow for a slashing attack. You might get lucky, and I recognize that. A spear is what you wanting for that job. Right tool for the right job. If you want to carry one; I suggest forming a group that devide the gear to carry a Machete, axe, crowbar, and spear. You would become overweight if you carried more than one.

:confused2: Snapping Turtles? You should never engage animals in close combat. They are stronger than you can compensate for. There are protective gear you can
buy for animals but most are just glorified movie props or to heavy for combat carry. I have seen a version of said gear and it was hard plastic. Hard plastic makes horrid noise when trying to move silently. Moving to what I found useful. When I was in Scouts, my troop went on a snow backpacking trip. My dad is a saddlemaker and custom made these for me. The cuffs are great for pushing brush out of the way and staying warm. I also used them in ampguard to great extent. No dog has bit them yet but they did take a nasty hit from roofing sheet metal that would have cut off my arm. The cuffs are not cheap to make as they are custom made ($100).
The gators were made by my dad as well for snow. The store bought ones were to short in my opinion and stupid exspensive. I use these all the time for airsoft as the stop cactus and other prickly things. Could the stop a dog bite? YES, but you would feel the pressure. The huge bonus of both is that they make no noise as opposed to plastics.
IMG_0882.JPG
IMG_0883.JPG
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:03 pm

This is patently not true. All
calibers are not created equal. Some calibers are loaded so their projectiles travel faster than the speed of sound. Those projectiles will create a sonic crack. No way around it. It's a physical reality.

Other calibers, including the .45 ACP are inherently subsonic. Their projectiles don't break the sound barrier. Such calibers are much more effectively supressed because the only noise from them is muzzle blast, and action cycling if you want to get really picky.
I did not say say all calibers are not created equal. Don't make shit up you think I said to give yourself credibility. I have had this stupid arguement of caliber wars wth others and it is pure ego driven. I said you can use all calibers in quality guns and suppresors. I also noted that different calibers are for different jobs. :rolleyes: Read and comprehension sir. I don't give a shit if they break the sound
barrior cause that was not the point of contention. The point is knock down power and damage to target. I have shot .22 suppresed and it is a mouse fart of noise. The crack can be heard to some extent, but the suppresor throws the noise like a ventriliquist does. 45 suppresed is a little loader than .22 but in lower tone. There is a plethora of suppresors to try and test that have incredible decibal reduction. Why does this matter to you? Most can't afford or legally own/buy suppresors. That is why I don't push most folks to get them as they need a quality gun first, paper work is a bitch, and they are the price of another high end back up gun.
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:17 pm

What we need for future articles is a list of must-have gear for the inevitable Zombie or Non Zombie Apocalypse.

Let's not bother to try and put up any pretenses that we're not all crazy as hell.
I read many books and attended a zombie squad meeting or two just to learn about it. Issue- biowarfare gear is exspensive and degrades over time. It weighs alot as well. You also have to considr what type of zombie outbreak there is (airborn, blood contact, or simple touch). Another issue is the poor reality of zombies. Potassium is short lived in a dead body and is required for muscle movement. The eyes also degrade very quickly. Thus I discredit most zombie theories. A type of zombie(ish) I do recognize as a threat are ones that have rabbies type
of infections. They would be short lived but seriously difficult to deal with as their strength is enhanced. Although some rabbies victims become hermits or flee in fear instead of becoming aggresive. Zombie equipment is just a fad in my opinion. You are more likely to be in a situation of ebola, plaugue, or super flu virus. Other natural disasters are greater threats as well. With Russia and Islamic factions attacking countries again, I would suspect a red dawn situation more of threat and said threat probability depends on where you live.

Zombie gear collecting is fun, but can be a huge money drain.
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:32 pm

Know why I carry a .45? Because no one makes a .46.

I love the D...

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:00 pm

Know why I carry a .45? Because no one makes a .46.
They make a drop in 50 GI barrel for Glock 45 and fullsized 1911. :smileup:

Ammo can be difficult to find, but the damage and knockdown is epic.
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:42 pm

If I'm going to carry something completely impractical, it's going to be this:

this:

or this:

I love the D...

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:31 pm

I want the S&W 500 in 4 inch. I would actually cary that.

Here is website that has the drop in barrel. http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/cal ... sion.shtml
Another from Brownels http://www.brownells.com/magazines/hand ... 27083.aspx

It is not to far out of the realm to carry such as a weapon upgrade during the winter (more clothes to hide the gun). It's not that impractical, but ammo is scarce. If you have money to burn; it would not be a bad idea to upgrade an auto to that power for trips to the mountains. I have held and fired the glock version. It has slightly more kick. Reminded me more of a 44 mag.

I shot the Desert Eagle
and found the handle to fucking big. My thumb could not reach the mag release. :frown:
The double barrel 1911ish thing is just stupid. It reminds of a Paraordinance with that fat grip. I have nver seen a double barrel 1911, but supstect it could have reloading issues. Both bullets firing at the same time could have miss-timing.
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:29 pm

S&W .500 - I consider paying that much money (both in the gun and the ammo) to carry a gun that weighs 3.5lbs empty, kicks like a mule, and burns more powder in the air than in the barrel (making it both extremely loud and extremly blinding to fire) to be the definition of impractical.

The largest caliber I would even consider to ever be practical in a 4" barrel is a .44mag (and that's a stretch).

I'll give you this, though: the .500 is badass as hell and if you're going for the intimidation factor it's probably right at the top of the list.

I love the D...

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:34 pm

S&W .500 - I consider paying that much money (both in the gun and the ammo) to carry a gun that weighs 3.5lbs empty, kicks like a mule, and burns more powder in the air than in the barrel (making it both extremely loud and extremly blinding to fire) to be the definition of impractical.

The largest caliber I would even consider to ever be practical in a 4" barrel is a .44mag (and that's a stretch).

I'll give you this, though: the .500 is badass as hell and if you're going for the intimidation factor it's probably right at the top of the list.
I need one for my alaska and general mountain trips. 44 mag can fail to kill a bear. There was a guide that went missing and a hunter killed a bear shortly after; found six 44 mag rounds in
the face of the bear. These rounds were from the guid's gun.

Also, if you can't hit'em; beat'em with it! I grew up on heavy revolvers and they are my comfort zone of handling and aiming.
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:50 pm

I did not say say all calibers are not created equal. Don't make shit up you think I said to give yourself credibility.
First off, I didn't say that you said that. I said it. Here. look, I'll say it again - Not all calibers are created equal. If I had wanted to attribute it to you, I would have put it in a little quotey box like I did above where you are accusing me of making shit up.

Second, the original question I asked was "Who needs a .45?", which was in response to you saying (note the quotey box, I am now actually saying that you said this):
For those
needing a small .45 pistol I present to you this beauty.
Didn't mean to confuse you by mentioning supressors or sonic cracks. Forget all that. I'm still wondering though what defines "need" in this case.

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:52 pm

Also, if you can't hit'em; beat'em with it!
҉

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:18 pm

I did not say say all calibers are not created equal. Don't make shit up you think I said to give yourself credibility.
First off, I didn't say that you said that. I said it. Here. look, I'll say it again - Not all calibers are created equal. If I had wanted to attribute it to you, I would have put it in a little quotey box like I did above where you are accusing me of making shit up.

Second, the original question I asked was "Who needs a .45?", which was in response to you saying (note the quotey box, I am now actually saying that you said this):
Didn't mean to confuse you by mentioning supressors or sonic cracks. Forget all that. I'm still wondering though what defines "need" in this case.
Fine.
Have you ever been to an area of town were gang violence or drugies are? Ever notice they tend to be juiced on drugs? The US army found that to light a caliber is an issue as in this piece from Wiki
"The most vociferous complaints concerned the revolver's cartridge chambering. Beginning in 1899, combat reports arose from the Philippines campaign regarding the poor performance of the M1892's .38-caliber ammunition. Specifically, users complained that the .38 bullet repeatedly failed to stop charging enemy tribesmen at close ranges, even when hit multiple times.[4] The complaints
caused the U.S. Army to hurriedly issue stocks of .45 caliber revolvers, and played a central role in its decision to replace the M1892 with the .45 Colt M1909 New Service revolver in 1909.[5]" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_M1892
I find we are having that issue again with drug folks and gang bangers can find cheap body armor. Also, alot of folks are wearing heavy clothes on top of 5 inches of fat. Your little 9mm, 38, and definately 380 will have poor results or no effect. 45 will hurt and put down aggresive attackers. Another round I would love to test but ammo is so hard to find is 357 sig. High shoulder rounds! :yes: See the differences between 30.06 and .308 for examples.
For your follow up question, I said "for thoses needing a small 45 pistol". Not "for thoses needing a small pistol". Big
difference in presentation. What a nit pick question. If you dislike 45; Kahr versions in 9mm will result in a similar review. I don't know what else you want from me besides a pointless caliber war? 45 ammo is easier to find lately at WalMart and Acadamy in target and home defense in quantity and price. It's your personal choice to carry whatever.
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:30 pm

I need one for my alaska and
general mountain trips. 44 mag can fail to kill a bear. There was a guide that went missing and a hunter killed a bear shortly after; found six 44 mag rounds in the face of the bear. These rounds were from the guid's gun.

Also, if you can't hit'em; beat'em with it! I grew up on heavy revolvers and they are my comfort zone of handling and aiming.

My problem is that a .44mag and .500S&W are going to have incredibly similar ballistic properties being fired from a 4" barrel (especially one that's heavily ported) because the .500 isn't going to get anywhere close to it's peak performance velocity with over half the powder going into a big-ass fireball out the end of the barrel.

At that point you're paying for an (IMO) mostly irrelevant power increase and impressive light show with increased cost, weight, noise, and kick.

In regards to "who needs a .45?" - IMO the .45acp is the best man stopper round that you can carry in a defense weapon:
- will commonly
stop someone in one shot anywhere in center mass (the reason it edges out most smaller/slower ammo)
- will not over-penetrate (the reason it edges out most faster/larger ammo)
- does not carry a large powder load keeping the round relatively quiet and the flash down (the reason it edges out the .357 in my mind)
- wide range of ammo available
- wide range guns that fire the round available

The last two are just perks, but are certainly nice - especially if you're comparing the .45acp to something like the .357sig, .45gap, or 5.7x28mm.

The reason I CCW a 9mm over a .45acp is that the S&W Shield is my CCW of choice and it does not come in .45 (the difference in performance between 9mm and .40 wasn't enough to justify the loss of one round in my mind).

I love the D...

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:03 pm

For your follow up question, I said "for thoses needing a small 45 pistol". Not "for thoses needing a small pistol".
I know what you said. That's exactly what I put in the quote box above - "For those needing a small .45 pistol" go back and look. I would say "read and comprehend, sir" but it would be to snarky. Seriously, it was just an attempt at conversation, asking who "needs" a .45.

If you are going to be an amateur journalist you should probably learn how to identify benign questions from trolling. I thought I made it easy for you in my original post where I prefaced the question with "I'm not challenging you..." But you seem to have taken it as a challenge anyway.

I
don't know dude,whatever. Keep up the reviews. I'll read them and won't comment again as my mere presence in your thread seems to throw you in a tailspin.

PM me if you insist on raging more. This is just clogging up your thread.

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:44 pm

For your follow up question, I said "for thoses needing a small 45 pistol". Not "for thoses needing a small pistol".
I know what you said. That's exactly what I put in the quote box above - "For those needing a small .45 pistol" go back and look. I would say "read and comprehend, sir" but it would be to snarky. Seriously, it was just an attempt at conversation, asking who "needs" a .45.

If you are going to be an amateur journalist you should probably learn how to identify benign questions from trolling. I thought I made it
easy for you in my original post where I prefaced the question with "I'm not challenging you..." But you seem to have taken it as a challenge anyway.

I don't know dude,whatever. Keep up the reviews. I'll read them and won't comment again as my mere presence in your thread seems to throw you in a tailspin.

PM me if you insist on raging more. This is just clogging up your thread.
:stubborn: Now you take the high ground. :rolleyes:
Folks who need 45: Rural folks (animal threats), Folks who expect to fight drug juiced offenders, long range shots on targets not viable for lesser calibers, folks who only want to shoot once, owners of multiple 45's pistols that don't want to buy another caliber for a smaller gun, and a good ranch/trip gun for the car. I am not an amature
Journalist. I do this cause I love gear and weapons. My reviews reflect a take or leave it stance. They way you couched the issue/question left me wondering if you were trolling. Please keep asking me questions regardless as they could save money or a life for others. You never know.
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:56 pm

I'll give you this, though: the .
500 is badass as hell and if you're going for the intimidation factor it's probably right at the top of the list.
I need one for my alaska and general mountain trips. 44 mag can fail to kill a bear. There was a guide that went missing and a hunter killed a bear shortly after; found six 44 mag rounds in the face of the bear. These rounds were from the guid's gun.

My problem is that a .44mag and .500S&W are going to have incredibly similar ballistic properties being fired from a 4" barrel (especially one that's heavily ported) because the .500 isn't going to get anywhere close to it's peak performance velocity with over half the powder going into a big-ass fireball out the end of the barrel.

I own a 44 mag thumbuster and the 500 4inch are very different in damage enough for me to carry it. The
4icnh is for personal protection as that is what I need. I don't care for the longer barrels as I prefer 45-70 for hunting serious big game. Close range heavy bullet is what I need and 500 SW fulfills that role for me.

At that point you're paying for an (IMO) mostly irrelevant power increase and impressive light show with increased cost, weight, noise, and kick.

True if doing long hunting shots. ;-)

The reason I CCW a 9mm over a .45acp is that the S&W Shield is my CCW of choice and it does not come in .45 (the difference in performance between 9mm and .40 wasn't enough to justify the loss of one round in my mind).
That is a major problem for most folks. The company does not make a viable holster or not all for 45. 45 also generally requires more clothing to hide. In Texas hot summer, that is a problem, and I look like Bert from
Tremors with my 5.11 tactical vest. The other holsters I showed in the clan forum were custom made. It's all about $ and oppentunity of resources. Try looking for a store that sells to special forces such as Allamo Tactical In San Antonio. The might be able to help you find a 45 holster worthy of Redthirst. 9mm for city trips is fine. I know you use worthy ammo, but others should consider using Hydroshock ammo. Keep the box as well. It will help in court as a defense that you were not making ammo to hunt people. An attorney I interned under had a case that came down to that and warned me to KEEP THE BOX.
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:32 am

I know you use worthy ammo
Crit Duty ;-)

When I say there's no relevant power increase, what I mean is there's not much a 4" .500 can kill that a 4" .44mag can't... especially if we're talking people.

I love the D...

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:38 am

I know you use worthy ammo
Crit Duty ;-)

When I say there's no relevant power increase, what I mean is there's not much a 4" .500 can kill that a 4" .44mag can't... especially if we're talking people.
True, but ballistic vests is becoming relevent now. Most vests I have seen rates at 44 mag and under. They getting easier to find/buy. I want the 500 for the four legged creatures though. I hate bears.
Current Decks
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Return to “H2O Cooler Talk”