Anyone given MMDOC a shot? (It's fun)

PC and Consoles, RPG's, Board G's, Other TCG's

Moderator: ( G_R )

Haplo19
Newcomer
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Anyone given MMDOC a shot? (It's fun)

Postby Haplo19 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:24 am

Hey Folks,

So, over the past few months I was busy with work and didn't have any time to get to FNMs. I only play magic IRL because the cards, people and community are a big part of the game for me, and I am not going to pay to build a whole new collection online. Anyhow, to get my CCG fix over the last little while I tried out MMDOC; Might and Magic; Duel of Champions. Gabe at Penny Arcade has been posting about it for a while and it sounded pretty good. All in all, this game is pretty fun and has a lot of potential. It's built around a free-to-play model, but I got a couple months of solid fun out of it without paying any money.

You can check it out here: http://www.duelofchampions.com/en/index.aspx
It's free to download and get started.

Comparisons to magic are pretty natural
with a game like this, so let me just list a few big strengths the game has:

1. Always online, so there are always opponents/matches/tournaments to play, and all the ladder rankings etc. that go with that.
2. Your 60-card deck has no 'lands' you just get a steadily increasing amount of 'resources' each turn = NO MANA SCREW. This addresses what is easily one of the biggest problems with Magic.
3. Lane-based combat. This makes for tons of fun strategic decisions about placing your units, attacking etc. Really great and deep system of play.
4. No Interrupts - this is actually kind of amazing for an online game; on your turn your opponent can't do anything so you have the space to make the best plays you can without getting slapped around by instants and counterspells. This puts more focus on the strategy aspects and less on 'gotcha' moments during the gameplay.

It's still a bit behind magic in terms of lore and art, but that's to be expected in a new game. The flavor is actually pretty good, I
have some fond memories of playing Heroes of Might & Magic back in the day, so it's fun to see the different factions represented in the game. Unfortunately, these factions can't hold a candle to Magic's Color Wheel, which I rank as one of the greatest inventions in the history of mankind, slightly behind penicillin (but above powered flight).

Oh yeah, and if you like playing Red, Aggro, or just not durdly garbage, get the Inferno starter deck - it's aggressive and much more fun than the other factions.

So, go check it out if you haven't. Anyone else played this? Cheers!
your sigs are all unnecessarily large -_-

Return to “Entertainment”