Ascension

PC and Consoles, RPG's, Board G's, Other TCG's

Moderator: ( G_R )

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Ascension

Postby Mcdonalds » Thu May 02, 2013 6:42 am

Fess up, which one of you guys plays this other than me.

for the unawares

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Fri May 10, 2013 4:20 pm

Right here.

Wish they'd make an Andriod App version, though.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri May 10, 2013 10:05 pm

I've played it before. Very fun game.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Mon May 13, 2013 7:07 am

Right here.

Wish they'd make an Andriod App version, though.
They are, it's supposed to be out by the end of the year, and after SolForge is ready, so anytime in the next 7 months really :-/

That said, does anyone like the new set at all, only a couple of people at my shop enjoy it really.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Mon May 13, 2013 1:56 pm

Sadly haven't played the new set yet, but what's the issue? Don't like the new mechanics or what?
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

I love the D...

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Tue May 14, 2013 1:37 am

Quite a few don't care for the new mechanic, the new mechanic energy is a new resource that you only get with energy shards (they draw 1 and give you 1 energy), when they flip over, you keep flipping cards until you hit a non energy shard (IE, if you flip 1 energy shard, you flip another and put it on top of it, if it's an energy shard, repeat as necessary), when you defeat/acquire the card they are under, you acquire those energy shards and put them in your deck, you use energy to energize certain cards (think kicker, not entirely sure this is how it works but like 90% sure..am too lazy to look it up :p) and gain additional effects.

I know a couple of people don't care for it because the game can come down to who can pick up the most energy shards it feels (there are some really ridiculous and swingy energize effects, such as gain honor
equal to the amount of energy gained this turn) and exacerbates the problem with the game becoming extremely masturbatory, I watched a game wherein one player stood up to watch a legacy match because the other was taking 10+ minute turns, hell the first one I played, one guy had enough time between turns to get up, roll and smoke a joint.

Admittedly it's just come out and may be people haven't played with it enough so there is that, I do like the new mystic/heavy infantry/apprentice/militia art however.

TL:DR New set is durdly as all get up.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Tue May 14, 2013 1:46 pm

Personally, I like long turns with huge swings in honor totals - but I'm usually the guy that builds the deck designed to cycle through and play every card every turn so maybe I'm biased.

Any set that doesn't let you go infinite like the core set did is probably an improvement, though.

I love the D...

ganderin_dan

Postby ganderin_dan » Tue May 14, 2013 7:08 pm

It's ok, but I prefer Dominion. The random element of the center piles bothers me by comparison.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Tue May 14, 2013 9:04 pm

I'm also a pretty big fan of Dominion - it really cuts down on the luck factor.

The luck of the draw is still there, but you don't get games that are basically decided on the first turn by the first player able to buy a Shadowcaster or Arbiter of the Precipice...

:/

I love the D...

ganderin_dan

Postby ganderin_dan » Wed May 15, 2013 8:15 pm

That's true. There are still the games where someone will open 5/2 and snatch a Witch, or go first and cast the first shot with a Young Witch, but the luck is drastically diminished.

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Thu May 16, 2013 3:57 am

The one occasion someone at my lgs brought dominion, the game didn't actually begin until all the villages were bought out.

Moreso than Ascension, it seemed real easy to draw your deck, or windfall into a hand that draws your deck, mind this was the base game and I've been told the expansions add a lot to the game.

That said, I did enjoy playing it, moreso than than two of the clones of it I played (thunderstone and Tante Cuore)

ganderin_dan

Postby ganderin_dan » Thu May 16, 2013 4:21 am

Yea, the starter kingdom doesn't really have any better engines than Village/Smithy, but there are certain kingdoms within the starter set that will beat that (mainly adding Militias, as well as just going Big Money in some situation).

Expansions add a lot. Prosperity & Cornucopia if you had to buy one or two.

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:20 am

(I suppose we can use this to talk about deckbulding games in general, if that's cool)

Buddy of mine makes cubes for Ascension, he put together the 'broken cube', played a 3 man cube wherein two of the players had the ability to casually draw their deck (and the other had like 2 leprechauns or some bs...don't remember)..one doing so by accident.

So other than Dominion and Thunderstone, are their any deckbuilding game apps for the PC/Android?

whitelies
Newcomer

Postby whitelies » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:17 pm

only played it for the icons

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:32 pm

I love this game. In paper, I have the base game and the first expansion. I haven't played the electronic version though.
whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
it's not cheating if you hand her the jizz afterwards
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

Return to “Entertainment”