Pedros's Brews

Discussions about the Standard format

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Pedros
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Pedros's Brews

Postby Pedros » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:30 pm

Mardu Warrior Subtheme agro:

[deck]
4 Tormented Hero
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Chief of the Edge
3 War-Name Aspirant / Mardu Skullhunter / Borderland Marauder
2 Tymaret, the Murder King
1 Mogis's Warhound
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
3 Grim Haruspex
1 Herald of Torment
4 Butcher of the Horde

1 Sprit Bonds
1 Mardu Ascendancy
3 Mardu Charm
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

23 lands
[/deck]

Not sure about 2 drop slot. War-Name aspirant is better than Borderland Marauder, however is conditional. Also not sure if I preffer another 3/2 over creature with discard.

Deck obviously not finished. My point of fighting midrange green deck is go past them with efficient warriors - 1 drops and Tymareth go past Caryatid with Chief of the Edge, Chief itself and War-Name Aspirant do similar. 3 drops dont need explanations - Rabblemaster is a house, Grim Haruspex might be what this deck needed - more card draw. Butcher
of the Horde is a house and I awsome.

About 1 offs: Mogis's Warhound and Herald of Torment give additional options as a bestow creature to fight bigger green bodies.
Spirit Bond and Mardu Ascendancy are here to give more value for your creatures, product fodder for demon and protect key creatures from removal.
I have Mardu Charm as a removal of choice as I didnt want to have dead card. Other potential removal: Hero's Downfall, Crackling Doom, Magma Jet (preffer it over Strike as I didnt find any good X/3 creatures - Mantis Rider is an only one).
Sorin, Solemn Visitor is to get past Caryatid/Courser, fight aggro with global lifelink, pump tokens made by rabblemaster/ascendancy/charm/spirit bonds.

A lot of little synergies. Tokens/Bloodsoaked and Tymaret/Butcher + Grim Haruspex (obviously not tokens but Bloodsoaked ;))

Will be posting more later. UWR and WRB and WRxx tokens.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:58 pm

Mardu Tokens:

[deck]
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
2 Tymaret, the Murder King
4 Akroan Hoplite
3 Raise the Alarm
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4 Butcher of the Horde

1 Spirit Bonds
1 Mardu Ascendancy
1 Spear of Heliod
4 Mardu Charm
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
1 Purphoros, God of Forge
1 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
1 Dictate of Heliod[/deck]
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:43 am

I decided to ditch the 2 slot. Skulhunter is nuts in Mono-black and rakdos because your mana is perfect and you get 12 1 drops. In this shell, the card you gain is often invalidated by the card you lose when Skullhunter's body becomes useless. In you're list it can be fine though because you're playing tymaret and Grim harespuex to get that card back and further your lead.

My list isn't as fast, but it's more powerful.

[deck]4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Butcher of the Horde
4 Crackling Doom
3 Stoke the Flames
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
3 Mardu Charm
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
4 Chief of the Edge
4 Bloodstained Brave
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Caves of Koilos
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Swamp
4 Mana Confluence
4 Battlefield Forge
1 Plains
2 Mountain
2 Nomad Outpost
2 Stormbreath Dragon[/deck]

I wanted to only play the best card at each spot on the curve, supplemented with the
best top end. I decided on a split between sarkhan and dragon because Dragon is immune to Abzen charm(I expect junk to be big) and doesn't get attacked to death like sarkhan. Sarkhan is still amazing though and doubles as removal in addition to being immune to murderous cut, the actual best new removal spell.

Cackling doom is actually amazing. I can't 100% endorse playing 4 but...test with 4.

Soldier of the pantheon is the only card I'm very unsure on. I think it's better then gnarled scarhide, if only because it can block and it walls multicolored guys long enough for fliers to kill people. Can you believe we have a 5 power hasty flier? That's nuts...
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:21 am

I decided to ditch the 2 slot. Skulhunter is nuts in Mono-black and rakdos because your mana is perfect and you get 12 1 drops. In this shell, the card you gain is often invalidated by the card you lose when Skullhunter's body becomes useless. In you're list it can be fine though because you're playing tymaret and Grim harespuex to get that card back and further your lead.

4 Butcher of the Horde
4 Crackling Doom
3 Stoke the Flames
3 Mardu Charm
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
4 Chief of the Edge
4 Bloodstained Brave
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Caves of Koilos
2 Swamp
4 Mana Confluence
Battlefield Forge
1 Plains
2 Mountain
2 Nomad Outpost

I wanted to only play the best card at each spot on the curve, supplemented with the best top end. I decided on a split between sarkhan and dragon because Dragon is immune to Abzen charm(I expect junk to be big) and doesn't get attacked to death like sarkhan. Sarkhan is still amazing though and doubles as removal in addition to being immune to murderous cut, the actual best new removal spell.

Cackling doom is actually amazing. I can't 100% endorse playing 4 but...test with 4.

Soldier of the pantheon is the only card I'm very unsure on. I think it's better then gnarled scarhide, if only because it can block and it walls multicolored guys long enough for fliers to kill people. Can you believe we have a 5 power hasty flier? That's nuts...
Basicly what you are playing is what esper midrange was - potential agro curve with best creature on every slot of a curve, but not overloading on them so
they arent dead draws later. I like that kind of thinking and am looking forward. Mardu colors gives a lot of options - you can play agro, you can play midrange, yu can play combo (aristocrats might be clasified as that) you can even play control.

I saw you decided to play Chief of the Edge as an only 2 drop of choice. I think it is quite smart. It is good on its own (3/2 body), while relevant later.

I love mardu colors, so I will probably try to build more decks like that. As I said before, I would preffer to play Brimaz and Rabblemaster in this format, as both cards work really good with purphoros, ephara and anthems.

Next I would try to build aristocrats in mardu colors, similar way you build your deck. Bloodsoaked Champion, Tymaret, Purphoros, Ephara, Grim Haruspex, Butcher of the Horde, Spirit Bonds are really good cards on their own, and they can work wonders together. I will probably play only the best 2 drop - Chief of the Edge, as it has synergy with a deck.

BTW how many Tymarets would
you play? You want to see 1 every game, however you dont want to see 2 ;/
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:33 am

Btw what is bloodstained brave?
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:46 am

I think it's supposed to be Bloodsoaked Champion. It went by many names before the correct translation was published.
Sig by NBW

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:15 pm

4 Butcher of the Horde
4 Crackling Doom
3 Stoke the Flames
3 Mardu Charm
2 Sorin,
Solemn Visitor
4 Chief of the Edge
4 Bloodstained Brave
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Caves of Koilos
2 Swamp
4 Mana Confluence
4 Battlefield Forge
1 Plains
2 Mountain
2 Nomad Outpost

I wanted to only play the best card at each spot on the curve, supplemented with the best top end. I decided on a split between sarkhan and dragon because Dragon is immune to Abzen charm(I expect junk to be big) and doesn't get attacked to death like sarkhan. Sarkhan is still amazing though and doubles as removal in addition to being immune to murderous cut, the actual best new removal spell.

nBasicly what you are playing is what esper midrange was - potential agro curve with best creature on every slot of a curve, but not overloading on them so they arent dead draws later. I like that kind of thinking and am looking forward. Mardu colors gives a lot of options - you can play agro, you can play midrange, yu can play combo (aristocrats might be clasified as that) you can even play control.

I saw you decided to play Chief of the Edge as an only 2 drop of choice. I think it is quite smart. It is good on its own (3/2 body), while relevant later.

I love mardu colors, so I will probably try to build more decks like that. As I said before, I would preffer to play Brimaz and Rabblemaster in this format, as both cards work really good with purphoros, ephara and anthems.

Next I would try to build aristocrats in mardu colors, similar way you build your deck. Bloodsoaked Champion, Tymaret, Purphoros, Ephara, Grim Haruspex, Butcher of the Horde, Spirit Bonds are really good cards on their own, and
they can work wonders together. I will probably play only the best 2 drop - Chief of the Edge, as it has synergy with a deck.

BTW how many Tymarets would you play? You want to see 1 every game, however you dont want to see 2 ;/
For an aristocrat style deck, I'd probably be willing to play 3 tymaret. You want your value sac outlets more. I'd also play Athero's in such a deck since it pushes your dying synergies harder.

Patrick chapin

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:19 pm

Yeah I was thinking about him or Grim Haruspex.

However that would mean more 3 drops... why everything costs 3.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:23 pm

Intentionally so I'd imagine. Actually incentivizes more scrylands if you play a bunch of 3's.

Patrick chapin

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:53 pm

Can someone put this thread in future league?

Rought creature sketch of Abzan "Aristocrats", however dont know if mana can handle it (B for 1 drop, WW for brimaz). Basicly agro deck wirh token/sacrifice synergy.

[deck]
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Soldier of the Pantheon (Tormented Hero would be better - more synergy with Chief of the Edge, however Pantheon is much stronger... Testing will tell)
4 Chief of the Edge
3 Tymaret, the Murder King
3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Butcher of the Horde
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor[/deck]

It is already too many cards, 30 of them and we didnt touch removal (Mardu Charm, Cracling Doom and Dictate of Erebos are the best imo), mass token generators (Mardu Ascendancy and Spirit Bonds seems excelent here), anthem effects - acts as a way to get past courser/caryatid (Ajani, Spear of Heliod, Dictate of Heliod - we however have
Sorin and Purphoros already) and a way to get card advantage (Grim Haruspex and Athreos, God of Passage - god can be animated quite easily. Punisher mechanic might not be really card advantage, however we are agro deck so 3 damage matters) as well as hasty reach beaters (Sarkhan or Stormbreath).

Blue splash might not be needed, however Ephara and Jeskai Charm is very powerful. It might even make Jeskai deck good - similar shell of 3 and 4 drops)

Tweaking numbers is all that matters:
  • How many Butcher of the Horde you think those Mardu decks wants to run? Full 4 or less? He seems really good.
  • Do I need 5-8 1 drops in Soldier/Tormented Hero?
  • If I want this, do I go for power (Soldier of the Pantheon) or synergy (Tormented Hero)
  • Do I need Chief of the Edge as a 4 of?
  • Better to have more spread legendary "finishers" with more options (Purphoros, Sorin, Spear,
    Dictate, Ajani) or stock, more consistent list?
  • It seems really bad to have all removal in 3 drop slot, however as we are creature deck ourself we arent afraid of red deck that much right? Or should we put some number of burn (probably Magma Jet as not much X/3s) to be safe not sorry?
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Return to “Mountain (Standard)”