Standard Pod (AKA: Yisan.dec)

Discussions about the Standard format

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

jsilv
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Standard Pod (AKA: Yisan.dec)

Postby jsilv » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:47 am

[deck]Lands
4 x Frontier Bivouac
4 x Temple of Mystery
1 x Temple of Abandon
1 x Temple of Epiphany
2 x Mana Confluence
4 x Yavimaya Coast
4 x Forest
1 x Mountain
2 x Wooded Foothills

Creatures
4 x Elvish Mystic
3 x Sylvan Caryatid
4 x Kiora’s Follower
4 x Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
1 x Reclamation Sage
2 x Courser of Kruphix
3 x Savage Knuckleblade
3 x Polukranos, World Eater
1 x Nylea’s Disciple
1 x Clever Impersonator
3 x Prophet of Kruphix
1x Surrak Dragonclaw
1 x Keranos, God of Storms
1 x Sagu Mauler
1 x Hornet Queen

Noncreature Spells
2 x Temur Charm
2 x Chord of Calling

Sideboard
3 Arc Lightning
2 Nylea's Disciple
2 Hornet Nest
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
1 Keranos, God of Storms
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Sagu Mauler
1 Hornet Queen[/deck]

Deck is designed in part to just go over the top of other midrange decks. Has multiple methods of attack including
Yisan + Follower / Prophet, Keranos, going over the top with Hornet Queen or even just bashing them with big dumb jerks ala Polukranos, Mauler and Knuckles. You have a bunch of mana to make this happen and if you draw Chord or have active Yisan, you really shouldn't lose to opposing green. Red is a bit rough G1, but you have a lot of early drops and big dumb guys so it isn't as bad as say the current RUG Chord vs. red deck right now. Also sideboard Arc Lightning, Hornet's Nest and Disciple; get rekt. Sloooow midrange based on removal seems like a joke w/ Keranos and Sagu Mauler and no control deck I've tried so far can beat the plan of 'run 30+ creatures'. Elspeth does work, but without Revelation or a bunch of wraths backing her, it isn't enough.

You can make an even faster and more explosive version utilizing Nykthos and Voyaging Satyr to max out on 16 mana donks. Right now though I don't like that since everyone week one should either be on red, GX (X being w/e flavor of removal you like) or
BUG since people don't seem to get running 16+ relevant early plays (Seize, Despise, Caryatid, 2cmc removal, Drown in Sorrow, Downfall) is better than not doing fucking anything until turn 4. Basically people are going to forget they have to interact early and red will be good until everyone figures that out and then it's back to the drawing board. Mono Black Aggro is just stone worse in every way except Thoughtseize is a card, otherwise enjoy your draft deck made of 2/1's and Mogis's Marauders.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:41 am

In lieu of the fact that you predict(mostly correctly) that red is good at the beginning of the format and a bad matchup, you should just run 3 nylea's disciple in the board. All of my green decks have 4 Polyk's and Disciples in the seventy-five as the're the best early threat and sb card in the color. That's really just a nit-pick though.

I'm not sure how much I like chord. Yeah, you have relatively good chord targets, but it's just REALLY expensive.

I think Xenagos is worth an inclusion. Just gives you something else powerful to play early and lets you go nuts later.

Arbor Colossus deserves a slot in the seventy five, probably in the main. Surrak fights counters well sure, but Colossus fights Sarkhan, Stormbreath, and Butcher of the Hordes which people are sure to be playing. Wether or not his is more important then surrak ALSO giving trample and having flash is more...dubious.

Lastly, I'd play 1
nykthos at least. It's just randomly powerful. If I added a nykthos, it would probably be as a 24th land since it doesn't actually fix your colors.

Overall, I think this deck is one of the better brews I've seen put together and I'm adding it to my gauntlet.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:49 am

Adding 1 rattleclaw mystic gives your more nutdraw options.

We're talking turn 3 Sagu mauler.

Edit: I guess I've changed my mind on chord. Realized there's nothing left like Zegana so the deck needs more searching to make up for lack of raw CA.

Patrick chapin

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:25 pm

Definitely one of the better Yisan brews I've seen so far. I tried drawing up a UG build earlier so I'm interested in whether or not this can be a thing. I like Chord as another way to find Yisan or just another answer.

Best thing about this deck is that spot removal is sparce and expensive, so Yisan will live a lot longer on average. And even if he doesn't you can just go beatdown with you fat threats. They either kill Yisan and leave themselves open to Knuckledude or let him live to find Knuckledude anyway.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:49 pm

I will say that I think Nykthos would really make the deck tick. Reid Duke was running Yisan with Nykthos and he was able to do some outrageous things with it like get multiple Yisan activations in one turn, get a huge PolyK activation, or even play an Arbor Colossus and monstrous it in the same turn. You could swap the Caryatids for Voyaging Satyr and found room for 3 Nykthos. It would just make the number of red sources more shaky.

jsilv

Postby jsilv » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:40 am

Got some games in with the deck. Been testing with the Foothills as a fetch / Nykthos split card and mostly seems like Nyk just let's you get way ahead in the games you're winning. Like if they don't wreck your board, let alone start activating Nyk multiple times a turn, you'll probably be the one winning the game. It also mostly only comes into play with Nylea or Polukranos, again with something like Chord, odds are if you could activate Nyk for a large amt of mana you can just cast the damn thing normally for 5-7. If I go up to 24 land or cut a scry (10 ETBT is a lot) for an untapped land I'd probably have a miser copy.

Arbor Colossus has been a house against the GR deck thanks to lack of major removal (Nobody around here has bothered shoving 3-4 Crater's Claws in yet) and Butcher is kind of a joke. I honestly think that's the biggest trap card of the set, it promises lots of good things, but rarely does shit go
that well. Courser has been pretty meh since everyone seems to prep for it, but I still like one as a dumb value / lifegain card. Without Zegana to just draw six cards and end the game you need to take every extra card you can. Still going to 1 and maindecking a Hornet Nest is likely my next potential change, esp. if people go nuts over the basic GR deck Owen posted.

Knuckles is as big a curbstomping as I assumed it would be and I've won way too many games off t2 Knuckles or t3 knuckles, t4 polyk, t5 threaten to activate any of the 15 abilities I have on board or Chord. I feel like anyone who plays this type of deck is going to have a huge edge early on because people won't have a clue how to properly play against all your plays.

As Valdarith said, people snap blast Yisan and then get really sad when I follow up with a scary threat. Then they leave Yisan alive and then after killing one or two of my guys, suddenly there's a bunch of incremental advantage and they get buried. I do wish there was a
Fleecemane Lion-esque card I could tutor up on 2 though, since that's the only thing that sucks about this list. Yisan dies after two activations and while you gained mana, there's no real great threat to find. If Keranos wasn't so damned good I'd also consider just going black and shoving in Deathdealer, Pharika and a few others. That and Arc Lightning have proven to be the nuts though and it's hard to find something as consistently skullpunchy as Knuckles. Being able to haste it up after tutoring it up or just playing it on t3 w/ haste thanks to Caryatid or Follower is sweet.

Hornet Queen is also the best end game in the format outside of Elspeth, but you guys already knew that.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:06 pm

Nykthos being a winmore makes sense. How has Temur Charm been testing? Seems stupid with Prophet.

I think once more people wise up you'll sed Crater's Claws in GRx decks. They're going to have to interact with other creatures somehow and it's their best option since it's never really dead, scales with game length, and does respectable damage for the cost when you have a fatty out (almost always).

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:09 pm

I'm also really high on Arbor Colossus right now. Laughs at Sarkhan, Stormbreath, and most of the RGx dudes, and is almost impossible for them to deal with after going monstrous.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:13 am

So this deck is busted. Let's describe a game. Turn 1 elf, have a tapland, still turn 3 Yisan. Miss land drops against opponents accelerated PolyK+Sarkhan. Careful planning along with Yisan+Prophet lead to grabbing Disciple and going from dead to 1 life. Next turn mainphase tutor for mauler. Pass untap, get attacked by Sarkhan, tutor for hornet queen, block with token. He flashes in Surrak, I charm having Mauler fight surrak staying at 1. For the next 5 turns, he draws a 3rd surrak and accumulates approx. 30 Power worth of creatures. I however have another yisan doing it's thing grabbing knucklebaldes and arbor colossus as blockers, Imposter cloning disciple for a sizable chunk of life gain, and wrap it up with Nylea Pumps plus Hornet evasive beatdown.

Aka, shenanigans.

Patrick chapin

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:41 pm

4 Elvish Mystic
4 Kiora's Follower
1 Sylvan Caryatid
1 Rakshasa Deathdealer
4 Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
2 Courser of Kruphix
1 Grim Haruspex
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Pharika, God of Affliction
4 Polukranos, World Eater
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
1 Nylea's Disciple
4 Prophet of Kruphix
1 Arbor Colossus
1 Sagu Mauler
1 Soul of Ravnica
1 Hornet Queen

2 Chord of Calling
1 Murderous Cut

4 Opulent Palace
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Yavimaya Coast
2 Polluted Delta
2 Forest
2 Island
1 Swamp
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

3 Negate
2 Setessan Tactics
2 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
3 Nylea's Disciple
1 Courser of Kruphix
1 Hornet Nest
1 Doomwake Giant
1 Reaper of the Wilds
1 Reclamation Sage

Patrick chapin

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Deck tags nigga!

Saw a list did win a magic league event, part of me hopes it was jsilv haha

[deck]
4 Temple of Mystery
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
6 Forest
3 Island
4 Yavimaya Coast
4 Thornwood Falls
2 Arbor Colossus
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Kiora's Follower
1 Nylea's Disciple
4 Prophet of Kruphix
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Polukranos, World Eater
4 Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
1 Genesis Hydra
1 Hornet Queen
1 Hydra Broodmaster
1 Sagu Mauler
1 Clever Impersonator
1 Chord of Calling
3 Nylea's Disciple
2 Setessan Tactics
3 Hornet Nest
1 Bow of Nylea
3 Hunt the Hunter
1 Nissa, Worldwaker
1 Stubborn Denial
1 Clever Impersonator
[/deck]

yurp yurp

RedNihilist
Tire Aficionado

Postby RedNihilist » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:50 am

Sideboard tags nigga!

Return to “Mountain (Standard)”