BW 2-4-1s(name in progress)

Discussions about the Standard format

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

BW 2-4-1s(name in progress)

Postby LP, of the Fires » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:48 am

I wanted to see if I could make a deck that was aggressive but still built around the concept of 2-4-1ing the opponent the whole game because I spotted a card that looked very interesting to me; Timely Horedmate. The stats are dorky but if you build your deck a cetain way, he's like a fair version of Ranger of Eos. And the best card to return? Mardu Skullhunter. By the way the card is worded, when you trigger rade for horedmate and get back your skullhunter, your opponent does indeed have to discard a card; in short you built you built a 3-for-1. Color me impressed.

The search for more cheap creatures failed to yield anymore awesome combos like the above mentioned one, but we still get Bloodsoaked Hero and Soldier of the Pantheon as premier 1-drops and the Hero is also built in CA.

Any white deck would be remise without brimaz as he's certainly the most solid
of the 3s available. Plus since my deck is aggressive, we plan on adding anthems which go well with the cat king.

Speaking of Anthems, Sorin and Ajani double as anthems and 2 for 1s. PW are powerful ways to generate value and in aggressive shells, I think they're better as your plan is more focused and they give you a solid backup plan. Since permanent anthems are valuable, we added Spear of heliod to the mix.

As a curve topper, I went with Wingmate roc as a friend of mind was testing the card and informed me it was fantastic so I had to give it a whirl as it fits the deck perfectly.

Throw in some removal and Curve fillers here and there and we get to this initial sketch:

[deck]3 Timely Hordemate
4 Mardu Skullhunter
4 Wingmate Roc
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
3 Hero's Downfall
1 Ajani Steadfast
2 Spear of Heliod
4 Raise the Alarm
2 Grim Haruspex

4 Temple of Silence
4 Caves of Koilos
6 Plains
6 Swamp
Mana Confluence[/deck]

Without a very good two besides the high variance pain seer, we went with raise the alarm as it plays well with the various anthem affects throughout the list which turns the card from slightly underpowered into a very powerful spell.

I'm interested in exploring other builds of this deck further as this harkens back to the magic I played a decade ago which has lots of nostalgic value for me and I think the deck is actually good. An alternate but equally viable way of building the deck would be with athero's in the mix. There are plenty of colored symbols in most of the cards you'd be interested in using and with a healthy set of ETBs, the buyback should be enough to bury your opponent; if they don't just get burned out.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:09 am

If you want to add Atheros, -2 Grim Haruspex, -4 Raise the Alarm, -3 Hero's Downfall, +2 Athreos, + 4 Underworld Coinsmith, +3 Banishing Light.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

zenbitz

Postby zenbitz » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:15 pm

Maybe Chief of the Edge (3/2 for BW, pumps warriors) > Coinsmith?

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:02 pm

[deck=BW Aggro by Brasi Finished 1st Place at Magic-League Masters - 9/21/14]Lands 22
4 Caves of Koilos
12 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence
1 Plains
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Creatures 27
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Gnarled Scarhide
4 Herald of Torment
4 Mogis's Marauder
4 Pain Seer
3 Spiteful Returned
4 Tormented Hero

Planeswalkers 3
3 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

Spells 8
1 Hall of Triumph
4 Hero's Downfall
3 Thoughtseize

Sideboard 15
2 Bile Blight
2 Dictate of Erebos
3 Empty the Pits
2 Pharika's Cure
3 Sign in Blood
1 Thoughtseize
2 Utter End[/deck]
Adam Yurchick's Comments on the list
Black Strikes Back

Winning the event was an Orzhov-tinged Black Aggro deck in the hands of Brasi :smileup:

Just when everyone thought monoblack might be gone for good, here it is
rearing its head again! This is certainly no Black Devotion deck, but rather an aggressive, rush creature deck that takes the best of Theros block and adds some great cards from Khans of Tarkir. It actually splashes into white for Sorin, Solemn Visitor, which adds a very powerful element to this otherwise classic black aggro deck, serving as part anthem, part token producer, and part lifegain engine.

The core of this deck is the one-drop creatures, most importantly the new Bloodsoaked Champion, which provides a repeatable source of card advantage and constant action for this aggressive deck. Those familiar with Gravecrawler will have some sense of what Bloodsoaked Champion can do. Though this one is less powerful at its best, it does not require such extreme synergy, rather working with any other creature, like the other one-drops. Tormented Hero can potentially generate value with the various bestow creatures this deck plays, including the final one-drop, Gnarled Scarhide.

The creatures go on up the
curve to include Pain Seer as a source of card advantage that will snowball an early lead. On offense, Spiteful Return functions as a pseudo-Watchwolf that has additional value with Bestow for when it would otherwise be stopped by blockers. In his Top 8 interview, Brasi said he would cut a Tormented Hero for the fourth Spiteful Return.

Herald of Torment tops the curve as a bestow creature for the lategame while doubling as a highly aggressive and evasive three-drop creature. Mogis's Marauder effectively has haste, and it doubles as a way to provide evasion to a team and push through a lot of extra damage.

Supporting this cast of aggressive creatures is a disruption package, which includes the versatile Hero's Downfall and three Thoughtseize. A singleton of the legendary Hall of Triumph comes at little cost but works very well with the aggressive starts this deck is designed to produce.

This deck is efficient and aggressive, and the package of bestow creatures provides a powerful element that
helps to alleviate some of the problems facing aggressive decks in the lategame. Sorin, Solemn Visitor is an excellent element that is best utilized in a hyper-aggressive deck like this, and compared to the Monoblack Aggro decks of block or last Standard season it provides this deck with a very useful tool.

I am particularly excited by this sideboard, which includes three copies of Empty the Pits as a way to Rebuild an army and simply Devastate opponents reliant on one-for-one targeted removal. This card is one of my picks for biggest sleeper in the set. It's a powerful flagship card to build a graveyard deck around, but it seems even better as a value card out of an aggressive deck like this.

Opponents that survive the early aggressive rush the Black deck presents will do so by using loads of creature removal, eventually outlasting the creatures and winning with sheer attrition. Empty the Pits is excellent for counteracting attrition strategies whether it generates a few tokens to help maintain
pressure in the midgame or simply Devastates the opponent in the endgame. As an instant, it can be played at the end of the opponent's turn to kill them even as they hold sorcery-speed spot removal or board sweepers. As a card that counteracts the strategies that may defeat this deck, it seems perfectly fit for this sideboard. It's a plan worth noting and trying in other aggressive decks, but the BBBB mana cost is restrictive; it's a sure-thing in this deck where nearly every land produces Black mana.
Thoughts:
Not running 4x Thoughtseize MD seem incorrect (imo its 4 or none)

Running 3x Empty the Pits seem incorrect (you NEVER want to see more then 1 hell I'll argue you generally wouldn't want to see 1 either :/ esp. with only 2x lands....)

Mogis's Marauder is one hell of a card....

(not sure if this was the correct place to post this but bestow
creatures kinda have a 2-4-1 effect (kinda... ok not really... I'm grasping at straws here))

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:15 pm

Depending on how much Silence the Belivers sees play, the beestow route is risky. I personally don't like Thoughtseise in G1, I should have creatures to play in the early game, and in the late game I think I'd prefer sign in blood (to draw more threats or give me some reach and target my opponent.). Agree on Marauder being very strong, especially early while the 3 color decks are figuring out their configurations.

yurp yurp

Return to “Mountain (Standard)”