Mono Red Scrumper

Discussions about the Standard format

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Christen
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Christen » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:57 pm

I'd be thinking of maindecking Magma Spray but I'm not too sure.

-1 Purphoros, -3 Ashcloud, +4 Magma Spray. Then maybe move Ashcloud in the sideboard. I'll try to figure something out once I manage to get some time.

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:37 am

I'd be thinking of maindecking Magma Spray but I'm not too sure.

-1 Purphoros, -3 Ashcloud, +4 Magma Spray. Then maybe move Ashcloud in the sideboard. I'll try to figure something out once I manage to get some time.
Just main board Circle of Flame. Sure, it will be somewhat dead in some matchups, but it still lets you Lightning Strike a Courser of Kruphix/Other X/4's if they attack into you. For a list like yours, I'd consider it. Also, as discussed many times before, it neuters Goblin Rabblemaster, which is super common right now.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:19 pm

Tom Ross' States winning list

[deck]
Creatures (20)

4 Akroan Crusader
1 Arena Athlete
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Foundry Street Denizen
3 Frenzied Goblin
4 Monastery Swiftspear

Lands (18)

18 Mountain

Spells (22)

4 Dragon Mantle
4 Hammerhand
1 Coordinated Assault
2 Lightning Strike
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Titan's Strength
1 Hall of Triumph
2 Hordeling Outburst

Sideboard
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
2 Lightning Strike
2 Magma Spray
4 Searing Blood
3 Peak Eruption

[/deck]

yurp yurp

amcfvieira

Postby amcfvieira » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:12 pm

I like the list a lot. If it became very popular in MTGO Circle of Flame will be very nice:)
Legacy: IZZET DELVER ; BURN
Modern: TEMPO TWINS ; UR STORM ; BURN
Standard: Work in Progress

JulianFrank
Newcomer

Postby JulianFrank » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:45 am

[deck]
Creatures (20)

4 Akroan Crusader
1 Arena Athlete
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Foundry Street Denizen
3 Frenzied Goblin
4 Monastery Swiftspear

Lands (18)

18 Mountain

Spells (22)

4 Dragon Mantle
4 Hammerhand
1 Coordinated Assault
2 Lightning Strike
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Titan's Strength
1 Hall of Triumph
2 Hordeling Outburst

Sideboard
2 Lightning Strike
2 Magma Spray
4 Searing Blood
3 Peak Eruption

[/deck]

I just put together this deck in MTGO...3 hours later, I went ahead and bought the paper cards online... Looks like I'm going to sell my jeskai deck, asap. This "Boss Sligh" ROCKS. WOW!

GoblinWarchief

Postby GoblinWarchief » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:11 am

Where did you find ross' list ??

Jamie
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jamie » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:07 am

probably on the website for the organization holding the event, from the state Tom Ross resides in.

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:10 am

He also posted it on his Facebook. If you were a cool guy with cool friends you would have known that.

:themoreyouknow:

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:48 am

It's on SCG too :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:51 pm

:rofl:
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:52 pm

What're your thoughts on his list, Maverick?
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

stuffydollfan
Newcomer

Postby stuffydollfan » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:01 am

Currently playing Tom Ross list in this MTGO PTQ Preliminary.
So far in 1-1, was able to beat Abzan in the first round before they can do anything and then i lost against Jeskai burn.
While both matches felt challenging, if this deck gets its nut draw, it becomes really difficult to beat. The biggest reason i lost to the Jeskai deck was because game 3 i mulled to 5 and still got mana screwed. Not to say i would have won the match but it would have made it close.
The deck feels very powerful, and in the right situation, it can go for a turn 3 win.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:33 am

Would love to hear how the rest of the ptqq goes. Sometimes the deck just doesnt draw well, thats magic. good luck!

yurp yurp

stuffydollfan
Newcomer

Postby stuffydollfan » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:33 am

Just hardcore scrumped that ptqq.

My next match was a loss against jeskai burn, ran into the same issue again of having to mulligan, and then drawing into a crap ton of lands.
This deck will either get an awesome hand and draws half the time, the other time it wont get shit.
The match up seems a bit more difficult than others because they run a ton of removal so its really important that we get in early before they can get their mana together.
Luckily most of the time they are fumbling with their mana in the first 2-3 turns. This deck can capitalize on that as long as it gets what it needs.

Next game i lost against g/b enchantments. Once they get their big guys *he had a turn 3 4/6 guy that -1,-1 my field* its over.
This match up didnt even feel close after sideboard.

While i still need to get more familiar with the deck, the deck does feel powerful against multi color decks that have trouble with their mana in the early turns. This deck will punish such decks.

Guttler
Newcomer

Postby Guttler » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:08 am

I'm going to take the Tom Ross list for a spin at FNM tonight.

Hammerhand is a card I skipped over in my initial build of Heroic Red, instead opting for [card]Mogis's Warhound[/card].

I'm a bit confused as to dropping RM, since he is a powerful source of card advantage in mono red, but with 8 ways to nix blockers, RM may not even be needed.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:52 am

[deck]
Creatures (20)

4 Akroan Crusader
1 Arena Athlete
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Foundry Street Denizen
3 Frenzied Goblin
4 Monastery Swiftspear

Lands (18)

18 Mountain

Spells (22)

4 Dragon Mantle
4 Hammerhand
1 Coordinated Assault
2 Lightning Strike
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Titan's Strength
1 Hall of Triumph
2 Hordeling Outburst

Sideboard
2 Lightning Strike
2 Magma Spray
4 Searing Blood
3 Peak Eruption

[/deck]
What are those Peak Eruption there for? Mirror match? Sure not Jeskai/Mardu/Gr Monsters?
Sig by NBW

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:06 am

Pretty sure theyre just for the mirror, and any red decks where you see chains. Most jeskai / mardu variants dont run enough actual mountains to make boarding in peak worth it vs them

Guttler
Newcomer

Postby Guttler » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:18 pm

What are those Peak Eruption there for? Mirror match? Sure not Jeskai/Mardu/Gr Monsters?
In Ross' article he goes through a SB guide. The only match he brings PE in for is against Mardu Midrange. It's a bit surprising since the Mardu deck only plays 4 mountains and the fetchlands to get them. However, if they know your brining in PE is makes their CttR a big liability.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:24 am

In Ross' article he goes through a SB guide. The only match he brings PE in for is against Mardu Midrange. It's a bit surprising since the Mardu deck only plays 4 mountains and the fetchlands to get them. However, if they know your brining in PE is makes their CttR a big liability.
Yeah, I saw that guide. Still feels like a wasted SB slot. It's a tempo play against Mardu though, before they can drop Butcher. And the sideboard options are fewer in a low curved deck like this.
Sig by NBW

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:33 am

Rouse the Mob has been pretty decent to me in testing. I'm on a list thats only 1 or 2 maindeck cards different than Frank Skarren's though, and Tom Ross designed that deck with him or for him, can't remember.

Thoughts on sideboarding Impetuous Sunchaser and Thunderous Might? You obviously bring in Eidolon of the Great Revel with both of these, and it lets you get over early ground walls like Ram, Caryatid, and Hornet Nest. Thunderous Might is pretty sweet on a flyer.

As far as the main deck, I'm personally just trying to find a way to consistently get 4-7 damage on turn 2, and either win on turn 3, or get them so low that they can concede before I untap for turn 4. I like Mono-Red right now in the format, where you regularly see CitpT lands on 1 and 2, and not a whole lot of sideboard hate.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:58 am

I was thinking of Impetuous Sunchaser myself yesterday evening. If it fits in any deck, it is in these Boss decks. Unfortunately, I have only one, but I could try it in the Arena Athlete spot.
Sig by NBW

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:27 pm

In a midrange world arn't Frenzied Goblin and Arena Athlete extremely vital? I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to draw at least one in all those MUs, I havn't played the deck yet so can someone explain why are they 3/1 rather then 4/2 or at least 3/2 in the MD?

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:08 pm

In a midrange world arn't Frenzied Goblin and Arena Athlete extremely vital? I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to draw at least one in all those MUs, I havn't played the deck yet so can someone explain why are they 3/1 rather then 4/2 or at least 3/2 in the MD?
I personally hate Frenzie Goblin, but he's pretty necessary as at least a 2-of. Hammerhand gets you there most of the time, plus an alpha strike or 2, or 3. I'd rather just suit a Impetuous Sunchaser up in that matchup and watch it fly over their shit.

Yay, draft commons!

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:15 pm

Goblin is good but 3 is enough. Tom Ross says you could run 2 Arena (over a Hall or a Co-Ass) which would give you a 3/2 split.

As Jasper says Hammerhand does a lot of work - I :love: the card!

With an average draw you'll get in early hits, falter some blockers and then use combat tricks and burn to push damage through or past blockers for the win.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:54 am

Ran Rouse the Mob as a 2-of in my main today, and it put in some work. There were a couple times where they attempted to merely chump block one of my guys, and they effectively lost to the Trample damage. Also killed some Caryatids with it, which was nice.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:24 am

Why doesn't Satyr Hoplite see play?

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:59 am

Idk, but I played 4 today. I guess I'll post the list I played.

[deck]
Creatures 22
4 Satyr Hoplite
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Foundry Street Denizen
2 Frenzied Goblin

Spells 21
4 Dragon Mantle
4 Hammerhand
4 Titan's Strength
3 Coordinated Assault
2 Rouse the Mob
4 Stoke the Flames

17 Mountains
[/deck]

Sideboard was a pile. Just know that I had my playset of 4 Foil Eidolon of the Great Revel in it for irony. Also, 4 Searing Blood

Edit: Also, I really wished I had remembered to put Hall of Triumph in my sideboard. Also also, Whip of Erebos was main deck in the Abzan deck I played in the finals, and it is a dicking.

Guttler
Newcomer

Postby Guttler » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:58 am

5-1 with the Tom Ross list after practice matches.

The fact that someone top8ed SCGWOR with the exact 75 makes me really respect the boss' insights.

I didn't play against Mardu and never boarded in PE. I'm putting 3 Rabblemasters in the SB, because I hated having to side out FDS against weenie aggro mirrors and dropping down to so few MD creatures.

I'm suspicious of Impetuous Sunchaser and an aura plan with Mantis Rider being as popular as it is.

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:35 am

Interesting note: Three people brought the Tom Ross list to game day. All three went undefeated against Abzan decks but they all couldn't beat green devotion.

Toddington

Postby Toddington » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Interesting note: Three people brought the Tom Ross list to game day. All three went undefeated against Abzan decks but they all couldn't beat green devotion.
Boss Sligh has a good Abzan matchup, huh. How proficient were the Abzan pilots, and how many matches total are we talking about? I'm always looking for ideas to take down the Abzan menace.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:39 pm

I think your best bet vs Gx Devo would be too fill your SB with Impetuous Sunchaser as terrible as it sounds, G Devo isn't really known for dealing with fliers very well.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:33 pm

I think your best bet vs Gx Devo would be too fill your SB with Impetuous Sunchaser as terrible as it sounds, G Devo isn't really known for dealing with fliers very well.
How about Harness the Force or Act of Treason in the Peak Eruption slot? Would be useful in the Abzan Midrange matchup as well.
Sig by NBW

Shivan Token
Newcomer

Postby Shivan Token » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:58 pm

Ok, finished third on a 10-men Gameday going monored.

Deck was the same as the Boss' one, with:
-3 hammerhand (haven't found them in time) +3 searing blood
-1 Arena Athlete (same as above) +1 Birber's Purse
-4 Firedrinker Satyr +2 Goblinslide, + 2 Valley Dasher
-1 Denizen + another Valley Dasher

Original ideas for the sideboard were: 2 Altac Bloodseeker (should be called Brimaz Bloodseeker) and 2 Marauders as anti Caryatid. Also, 2 Fated Conflagration for midrange MUs, and a lonely Revoker.

I found me operating with a lot less mana than I am comfortable with, but managed to win against abzand aggro-midrange, abzan superfriends splash red, black white aggro, losing to temur midrange and to the same superfriends splash red in the top 4. I could have won, but I misplayed (scrumping): having finally drawn the Fated Conflagration, I've main-phased for the scry- only for the opponent having Abzan Charm +2+2 his rhino, sigh. Should have waited EOT, screw the scry.

All in all, I've liked the deck.

I suggest to look into Barrage of Boulders instead of Peak Eruption.

Goblinslide was too slow.

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:01 am

Boss Sligh has a good Abzan matchup, huh. How proficient were the Abzan pilots, and how many matches total are we talking about? I'm always looking for ideas to take down the Abzan menace.
There were four total Red vs Abzan rounds. The Abzan players were the most skilled there, and they were either running the Ari Lax version or something else. I was the only Abzan player not to play against the Red decks; however, I'm running the aggro version. Not too sure if it fairs better against Red compared to midrange.

The green devotion players were fairly average, taking advantage of its great Abzan match ups and decent to good draws all day. Against Red I feel that an average hand with one or two mana dorks was enough to beat them.

JulianFrank
Newcomer

Postby JulianFrank » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:49 pm

buddy of mines list. He won a game day with it.

creatures
4x Akroan Crusader
4x Firedrinker Satyr
4x Foundry Street Denizen
2x Frenzied Goblin
4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Satyr Hoplite

Land (17)
17x Mountain

Instant (13)
2x Coordinated Assault
3x Lightning Strike
4x Stoke the Flames
4x Titan's Strength

Enchantment (8)
4x Dragon Mantle
4x Hammerhand

Sideboard (15)

2x Act of Treason
1x Blinding Flare
4x Eidolon of the Great Revel
1x Lightning Strike
2x Magma Spray
1x Rouse the Mob
3x Searing Blood
1x Trumpet Blast

Maybeboard (6)

4x Thunderous Might
2x Trumpet Blast

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/turnem-sideways/

TheCleaner
Newcomer

Postby TheCleaner » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:47 pm

PLEASE make it a [deck]
Click the spoiler if you dare to find out the truth

and hes a cheater

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:58 pm

buddy of mines list. He won a game day with it.

[deck]
creatures
4x Akroan Crusader
4x Firedrinker Satyr
4x Foundry Street Denizen
2x Frenzied Goblin
4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Satyr Hoplite

Land (17)
17x Mountain

Instant (13)
2x Coordinated Assault
3x Lightning Strike
4x Stoke the Flames
4x Titan's Strength

Enchantment (8)
4x Dragon Mantle
4x Hammerhand

Sideboard (15)

2x Act of Treason
1x Blinding Flare
4x Eidolon of the Great Revel
1x Lightning Strike
2x Magma Spray
1x Rouse the Mob
3x Searing Blood
1x Trumpet Blast

Maybeboard (6)

4x Thunderous Might
2x Trumpet Blast
[/deck]

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/turnem-sideways/
There. It's much easier to read with deck tags.

Welcome aboard.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Return to “Mountain (Standard)”