Crazy days and crazy plays

Discussions about the EDH/Commander format

Moderator: Manasjap

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Stardust » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:01 pm

Apparently this thread doesn't exist yet. Now it does.

I was playing my new Rakdos, Lord of Riots deck at a 6-man table, fairly late into the game with most players between 20 and 30 life. Rakdos was under a Banisher Priest when someone Wrathed, leaving him as the only creature now on the field. My entire turn got countered by Lazav, and Rakdos himself was tapped down by Derevi pre-combat, so I passed to Lazav. He cast Rise of the Dark Realms, returning enough to wipe out the table on his following turn (including Avacyn, making this very difficult to deal with).

4-players-without-answers later and it's my turn again. I've got no answer in my hand, but I convince Karametra that I've got an answer in my deck, but I need to hit him for a bunch to dig for it. He agrees, so I play [card]Grave
Titan[/card], equip Greaves, and swing for 12. Post-combat I play Knollspine Dragon, drawing 12. That pulls out Kozilek, who pulls out even more Eldrazi, until I've got 13 creatures on the field, half of which have Annihilator. I now have enough blockers that Lazav can't wipe the table, but he can still kill me... I look at Lazav's life total: 28. So I play Heartless Hidetsugu and equip with Greaves. I've got 2 mana left, and Lazav thinks for a good long time before letting the ability resolve. I drop Goblin Bombardment. With 14 creatures and him at (potentially) 14 life, I've got mutually assured destruction on the table.

Of course, the Lazav player realises that I'm going to be swinging at him the following turn, so he goes ahead and overloads Cyclonic Rift anyway, forcing me to kill him. He's dead, but I've got literally nothing. No appreciation for my sacrifice, the rest of the table kills me before I get another turn. :slant:
҉

DocLawless
Tire Aficionado

Postby DocLawless » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:14 pm

I was playing Kresh the Bloodbraided at a table of 8. I was staring down some pretty Tier 1 decks; Riku, Geist, Animar, Mayael, Kaalia and Sliver Queen I think. I can't remember the 8th player's deck. It's been a while. Anyway, I had never played with these people before, so I decided to sit there with my mouth shut for a few rounds until they forgot about me. Sure enough, they did. They were going at it hard and fast against each other, and ignoring me because I had no board state (I was actually holding back), so turn five I play Kresh and pass turn to Riku. By the time it was my turn again, Kresh was a 49/49. So I swung into Kaalia, because he tapped out attacking Animar, cast Fling and sac'd Kresh to take out the Geist player, and said "Hi, I'm Nate".

Second main I cast Jokulhaups. I'm still at 40 Life. Sliver Queen, Mayael and Animar are all at less than 10. Riku dies on
his upkeep because he no longer has any Lands to pay for the Pact he cast to stop Geist from Wrathing. If he hadn't done that I would not have been able to pull all that off.

DarthStabber
Tire Aficionado

Postby DarthStabber » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:21 pm

So I'm playing a commander game waiting for a draft to start. My nekusar v heliod v brimaz v ????(naya tokens). My only non-land permanent is an astral cornucopia with one counter. The heliod player has heliod (not a creature), witchbane orb, and a magus of the disk (untapped with a mana open). The brimaz player has some white enchantment that forces everyone else to sacrifice a creature when one of his dies and a mentor of the meek. The token deck has a bunch of 1/1s and then he drops craterhoof behemoth and turns everything sideways at me. I have 6 mana open and tribute to hunger and counterflux in my hand. I point the tribute at the brimaz player, killing his mentor causing the enchantment to trigger, and the heliod player
activates magus of the disk, causing the naya player to cast boros charm to protect his horde which meets my counterflux. Unfortunately right after that rube goldberg wrath they start announcing seating so we didn't get to play it out beyond that.
thanks to nbw for the sig.
You do need to try to gay it up a little more.

You're like the least gay member of this clan.

And that's counting the fact that you voluntarily have sex with men.

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:30 pm

So this story is based off my whole playgroup not actually reading the card. We all thought Possibility Storm said that you HAD to play the spell you draw into, no one noted that it said MAY. So here we go...

It was a 4 player game and one of the guys was playing a Chaos deck. He had cast an on curve Possibility Storm, so the game was pretty wild. So this one guy, Brian, casts a creature. Since, Possibility Storm, he had to reveal cards until he revealed a creature. So he starts flipping cards off the top of the deck and low and behold he gets to a creature. That creature just happened to be Phage the Untouchable! The store erupted with laughter. With the simple act of casting one creature Brian had eliminated himself from the game. That was probably the best thing I've ever seen happen due to a Possibility Storm.

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:25 pm

And that, kids, is why you don't play Phage.
҉

DocLawless
Tire Aficionado

Postby DocLawless » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:27 pm

I love that no matter what happens, it almost always becomes a story when someone plays Phage.

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:28 pm

Had a game with Pristaxcontrombmodruu that was going way too well. I had Greater Auramancy, Solitary Confinement, Temple Bell, [card]Serra's Sanctum[/card] and a couple other things in play when I resolved Enduring Ideal. The group seemed like a bunch of cool people, so I didn't go for the Mind Over Matter win (that's almost always just a last resort). When the Ideal resolved, I went for Pyrohemia. I only needed to grab Vicious Shadows to seal the win, maybe a token producer would have been necessary. I was the table target, but I was too well defended to die before then. Things were looking really good for me.

Until the Overloaded Cyclonic Rift happened
just before my turn.

Well, that did two things. First, I was no longer the threat because I was a blank table and unable to use most of my enchantments that were now in my hand rather than in my library. Second, and this is the real awesome part, Cyclonic Rift Dude was now the target of the rest of the table.

Well, on my turn I grabbed Paradox Haze to try to bounce back faster. I also played a land because why not? Rift Dude was probably going to win anyway.

Surprisingly it got back around to my turn. Rift Dude had been neutered and no one else managed to pull ahead. I Ideal'd out Purphoros, and an Assemble the Legion. Oh, and another land. Sure, what the hell? That triggered a Planar Cleansing sometime after I passed the turn. No one was worried about the Purphoros when I didn't have any token generators.

My next Ideal pulled out Enchanted Evening. Well, what else was I going to do? Play a land? Sure,
I'll do that, too. The table looked at me like I was crazy and I let them think I was actually out of options. I really have no idea how nobody else had won by this point, but each of them kept whittling down other life totals while never really running away with the game.

By some miracle I got to take one more turn, and it was the last turn I needed. Sacred Mesa plopped down from Enduring Ideal and I had the biggest shit eating grin you'd have ever seen. I had Purphoros, Sacred Mesa, Enchanted Evening, and 12 enchantment lands. Twenty six mana made thirteen pegasuses for seventy eight Purphoros damage and one of my favorite wins of all time.
Fuck you and the green you ramped in on. - My EDH battle cry. If I had one.

DocLawless
Tire Aficionado

Postby DocLawless » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:38 am

This happened yesterday...

There are four of us at the table. Oloro, Xenagos, Karametra, and me playing Ashling the Pilgrim. Xenagos is at 32 life, Karametra is at 21, I'm at 20 and Oloro is at 149. Karametra and Oloro both declare they have a win in their pocket, so the clock is officially on countdown.

It's Karametra's turn. He drops an Avenger of Zendikar and sprouts 20 saprolings. Land for turn, crack a Fetch, and now they're all 2/3s. Passes to Xenagos.

Xenagos does... something. I wasn't paying attention, but he swung into Karametra with his fliers, dropped a Worldspine Wurm and passed turn to Oloro.

Oloro casts Storm Herd for 149 1/1 pegasus tokens and laughs. At his next upkeep, Concerted Effort will give them all vigilance and first strike. Karametra and Scion curse under their breaths. Oloro attacks with what he has into Karametra, forcing him to chump two of his saprolings, then passes turn.

nI have Ashling, who is wearing Swiftfoot Boots and Argentum Armor, and a bunch of Mountains. I could blow her up and take out the saprolings and the pegasus tokens, but the wipe would leave Xenagos with a Worldspine Wurm and his general. So I cast Insurrection and won instead. :D

That will never happen again.

DarthStabber
Tire Aficionado

Postby DarthStabber » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:03 pm

I kinda wish flash wasn't banned just so I could build a deck with it and worldspine wurm. Then I remember hulk flash and I chastise myself for ever wishing that.
thanks to nbw for the sig.
You do need to try to gay it up a little more.

You're like the least gay member of this clan.

And that's counting the fact that you voluntarily have sex with men.

razzliox
Newcomer

Postby razzliox » Thu May 22, 2014 12:42 am

...flash isn't banned... hulk is...
Check out my Jarad Primer!

Check out the Competitive EDH Subreddit!!

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Thu May 22, 2014 12:53 am

...flash isn't banned... hulk is...
This.

Gatts
Newcomer

Postby Gatts » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:23 pm

TIL Flash is a card. Crazy.

The other day I was playing with 2 random decks and a blue deck that won with some crazy combo using Omniscience and extra turn spells with recursion. He had just set up his combo to make infinite mana and kill everyone with [card]Blue Sun's Zenith[/card]. I cast Grip of Chaos, forcing him to randomly kill players off, until it's just me and him left. He ends up selecting himself at random, giving me the win.

Stardust
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Stardust » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:13 pm

He played zero ways to deal with an enchantment? Seems awful. Since he had infinite recursion he should have Zenith'd for 50 instead of 100. Surely drawing 50 would have given him a couple answers, and if it hits you, he just does it again.

4-player game with Chainer, Karametra, Geist and Wrexial (me, basically a deck full of Clones). We're cruising along for a bit until Geist plays Bruna, Light of Alabaster. I don't think anyone ever realised that Bruna has a "blocks" trigger until this game since there was some confusion when I decided to Clone her to defend myself. Long story short, me and the Bruna player just passed Celestial Mantle and Copy Enchantment (copying Celestial Mantle) back and forth (attacking the other two players) until I stole his Bruna and eventually won with over 20000 life.
҉

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:39 pm

i think i made a flamboyantly gay dude rage quit magic for a month. at least edh.

3 pods of 4, im playing sedris, where i get out kiki-jiki and pester mite. gay kid on my left playing ezuri, guy across from me playing doran, guy across from gay bro is playing prosh.

my side of the table is mana fuuuuucked, and im a timid bitch so doran is givig ezuri commander damage and im trying to get enough mana to go 'kiki-mite gg'

prosh plays a beastmasters quest that i negated and then next turn just goes off with xenos planeswalker and doubling season, gay kid rage quits i get third in the pod.

play for funsie prosh playing sliver queen, doran playing skullbriar. i get a little more mana and im still in but elf kid is beaten.

this store makes everyone who placed first play together, second in a different group etc etc.

3 person pod, elf kid sitting next to me again, vs w/e. he gets mad while im doing well and knock out a ur-dragon deck but didnt think i could kill the other guy playing the u/w god.

elf kid loses, and apparently looked over at me and said 'oh now you do something' then when he loses storms out slamming the back door.

i went to a different card store and buy some stuff for decks, some qdobas and come home to post this

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:44 am

so, uh, Animar, Soul of Elements is kinda good when paired with ancestral statue and something to give flash.

and when someone else has gaddock teeg out, locking out your own counterspell in hand.

Return to “Command Tower (EDH/Commander)”