MDU's Rx Builds

For decks that are not quite tier 1 but are still evolving.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

dauntless268
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby dauntless268 » Sun May 01, 2016 10:39 pm

Well done :smileup:
Given that you have a good chance to pitch excess lands to Neonate, I would think 23 lands is fine.
With 23 lands, I would consider running a go big plan with Dark-Dwellers in the side...
MTGO handle: Clemens268

Pedrobear

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby Pedrobear » Mon May 02, 2016 9:07 am

Hello, I played this inspired by MDU and the guy with the 5-0. I finished 2nd at my Gameday with a record of 4-1.

2-0 vs RG Combo homebrew (nothing to see here)
2-0 vs Bant CoCo (like srsly)
2-1 vs WW splash U
0-2 vs BW Eldrazi
2-1 vs GB Aristocrats (srsly again)

[deck=MDU's by Pedrobear]
Lands 22
21 Mountain
1 Haven of the Spirit Dragon

Creatures 24
4 Abbot of Keral Keep
2 Avaricious Dragon
4 Thunderbreak Regent
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Village Messenger
3 Zurgo Bellstriker
3 Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh

Spells 14
4 Draconic Roar
2 Exquisite Firecraft
3 Fiery Temper
3 Titan's Strength
2 Fiery Impulse

Sideboard 15
2 Lightning Berserker
2 Exquisite Firecraft
2 Lightning Axe
3 Twin Bolt
2 Rending Volley
4 Goldnight Castigator[/deck]

I was so happy to play one drops in a format without game breaks all the time (fetches), last standard I played Mardu Green, I have now returned to my only love :love:

Well, I was disappointed when I saw the pairing because I knew I was going to play against my friends and not our best matchups (Bant and GB), but surprisingly the deck is capable of doing awesome things !

Lessons I learned
22 lands is greedy with 6 4-drops in MD, I'd play 23 cutting a Fiery Temper I think. This caused my lost against BW and WW, hand with Dragons and no fourth lands for tuuuuurns.

Chandra is a good 3 Drop and with so much 1 Drops we can easily flip her on T4. I almost never attacked with her but once she flipped I just sat on her +1 ability to win the match. That's how I won agaisnt Bant, I didn't want to attack in his 5 open lands. Dragons were there to defend her against Avacyn.
I'll give Sin Prodder a try during my next test matchs if I have time for it but Chandra is already fine for me.

Other topics
I'd also play Skin Invasion in the SB for Artistocrats matchup, playing this on their Zulaport seems gamebreaking !

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby magicdownunder » Mon May 02, 2016 10:03 am

WELL DONE!

The other guy is Larkblue (he is always in the top100 grinder list so he is solid) - I agree on your lessons (I think Chandra is better then Sin Prodder overall). In regards to Bant Company, I have yet to lose completely against them and I'm unsure why (on paper it looks like a horrible MU) maybe red is good against Bant Coco and we just don't know it :p.

Vs Crats did you setup Avaricious Dragon and Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh for all that burning goodness or did you just beat them normally?

EDIT: Skin Invasion is really good (better then I gave it credit for), not sure how effective it will be for us though since beside the dragons our guys are rather small.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Pedrobear

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby Pedrobear » Mon May 02, 2016 10:45 am

For Bant Coco, my line of plays were putting some damage and then killing their most dangerous creatures (especially the 2/3 and Tireless Tracker). Do not waste a creature by attacking into a Krasis. Then they can only deal with a Regent with Avacyn. If they have 5 manas open, do not attack.
It's also easy to make them overcommit, then force them to play an Avacyn and just a kill creature to erase their boards when you keep some damage in hand (Dash creatures etc, loot with the Neonates etc.)

And yes, I setup Chandra on G1 for the win, defended by all the other creatures I had. and G2 he was always off tempo due to the manabase, helped with the Regent + Avaricious Dragon combo.

Postside Rending Volley is a powerhouse.

Pedrobear

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby Pedrobear » Mon May 02, 2016 10:47 am

And against GB, if they resolve a 9/7 we just lose. The goal was to trade, trade again. Keep the removals for Zulaports and resolve a Dragon for the win.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby magicdownunder » Mon May 02, 2016 3:11 pm

Interesting creatures:
Ire Shaman
Sanguinary Mage
Gibbering Fiend

- - - - -

Ire Shaman = does everything Prodder does except it safer (if used it would most likely go into the SB).

Sanguinary Mage = A [mana]R[/mana] 2cc creature with */3 which fit into our spell heavy theme and allows for us block EVERYTHING on he ground until we can resolve a dragon. As a bonus this card also make Skin Invasion a more possible SB option.

Gibbering Fiend = in line with Insolent Neonate which can and will deal small amounts of damage (which adds up) against everything (possible SB option vs Aggro).

- - - -

Thoughts? How would you squeeze one of these into the 75 if you could?

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Pedrobear

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby Pedrobear » Mon May 02, 2016 3:40 pm

I was actually thinking of Gibbering Fiend during one game when I couldn't draw my 4th land. We do not have easily access to delirium. In probably 15 cards in my graveyard, I haven't had it in fact.
We could only have it if we flood and pinch a land to a Neonate in late game. And we would need more sorcery which I don't like.

So for me, he just doesnt pass.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby magicdownunder » Mon May 02, 2016 4:07 pm

That is main reason why I suggested Gibbering Fiend as a SB rather then MD, its best used in game where we're grinding out victories (its more viable for me though since I'm on Roast train). Thoughts on jamming Sanguinary Mage the card can even kill 3/4 lifelink vampires with impulse (Sanguinary Mage - is main card which caught my interest)?

P.S. GWx actual have LOTS of answers to dragons - like slayers, commands, angels (3-different types), lifelinking giant dragons (which can't be countered making them decent vs control), walkers, clip wings, stones and enchantments (these cards are used regularly as a means to kill other angels (which sadly mean they can also kill dragons) .

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby magicdownunder » Tue May 03, 2016 12:15 am

I would consider running a go big plan with Dark-Dwellers in the side...
I view Dark-Dwellers the same way I view Thunderbreak, its either in the main or not used at all (since its never a bad card) - thus its more suited for midrange or control which I'm not extremely fond of.
I was so happy to play one drops in a format without game breaks all the time (fetches), last standard I played Mardu Green, I have now returned to my only love :love:
I only just recently came back to standard with SOI so I missed out on all the Mardu green stuff.

sirzevo
Newcomer

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby sirzevo » Tue May 03, 2016 1:44 pm

Here's SaffronOlive's idea for a budget red aggro deck. His voice is kind of annoying, but I wanted to know your thoughts.

https://youtu.be/uRezjd3JLKQ
Find me on Cockatrice and Xmage: scottymandingo.

Be sure to come follow me on Twitch!

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby magicdownunder » Wed May 04, 2016 1:11 am

I like SaffronOlive he sounds like he is always having fun. His list looks like the states winning list but arguably worst and funnily enough more expensive.

The original list did good things for MonoW and Crats MUs.

- - - -

Here is the list I'll be testing tomorrow:
[deck=MDU's Dragon Redvantage]
Lands 22
21 Mountain

Creatures 23
4 Abbot of Keral Keep
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Village Messenger
3 Zurgo Bellstriker
3 Thunderbreak Regent
2 Avaricious Dragon

Spells 15
4 Draconic Roar
4 Exquisite Firecraft
4 Titan's Strength
2 Fiery Impulse
1 Roast

Sideboard 15
1 Tears of Valakut
1 Roast
2 Goldnight Castigator
2 Fiery Impulse
3 Scab-Clan Berserker
3 Rending Volley
3 Twin Bolt [/deck]

I built the list to focus on what is good about red (mainly the aggressive CA/fixing):
4 [card]Titan's Strength [/card]
4 Abbot of Keral Keep
4 Insolent Neonate
2 Avaricious Dragon

Followed by reach:
4 Draconic Roar
4 Exquisite Firecraft

- - -

Supporting cards:
3 Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh to abuse the 1-drops
4 Village Messenger to abuse [card]Titan's Strength [/card]
3 Thunderbreak Regent to support Draconic Roar

Pure Removal Suit: I'm only running 3 so that most of my cards can deal damage - if the game goes long I'll lose unless I done enough damage early on.
2 Fiery Impulse
1 Roast

Land Base: Only 22 lands, I plan on abusing the CA cards to make it more consistent (not 100% on Haven of the Spirit Dragon).
21 Mountain

- - - -

The Bant, Humans and Aristocrats MUs are starting to feel quite comfortable (though I still lose to Abby :tears:). GW Token on the other hand is still a nightmare (post board dropping all creature and running leap with only Hanger and Angels is hard to beat).

The seem like the meta is really encouraging splashing but I highly dislike doing it - sigh if I wasn't such a white bias player I would try splashing JUST for Stones (WR Mainlands + WR Painlands seems quite good) that said I think tighter play would also suffice in earning victories e.g. is it really worth using Rending on a Token to deal damage with a creature? You have one burn in hand is it truly worth playing Avaricious Dragon? Normally I make the greedy plays to my own detriment - I need to break this habit.

- - - -

I never ended up testing this build since I got hooked on lark's list
Last edited by magicdownunder on Fri May 13, 2016 4:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby LaZerBurn » Wed May 04, 2016 2:12 pm

[deck=MDU's Red Dragons]
Lands 23
21 Mountain
2 Haven of the Spirit Dragon

Creatures 23
4 Abbot of Keral Keep
2 Avaricious Dragon
3 Thunderbreak Regent
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Village Messenger
3 Zurgo Bellstriker

Spells 14
4 Draconic Roar
3 Exquisite Firecraft
3 Fiery Impulse
2 Titan's Strength
2 Roast

Sideboard 15
1 Lose Calm
1 Tears of Valakut
1 Fiery Impulse
1 Devour in Flames
1 Avaricious Dragon
3 Twin Bolt
3 Rending Volley
4 Goldnight Castigator[/deck]

Firstly MASSIVE thanks for all your work on the deck MDU! :)

I've not been playing a lot but this list is by far the best I've played so far. I really like the one drops into Chandra into the Dragons. The CA from Neonate, Abbot, TS and Avaricious Dragon is excellent and Firecraft is indeed one of the best cards in the deck. I've beaten Esper Control, BW Control, UR Goggles and GR Ramp pretty comfortably.

I'll try the new updated list as soon as I can and post my thoughts :)

EDIT - tried the new list, beat Mono W Humans 2-1 (G2 off a mull to 5) and Crats 2-0. The deck plays VERY well and I highly recommend giving it a try! Messenger has never been this good and Roar, the Dragons and Firecraft give the deck the reach I've been missing soooo badly! Thanks again for your fine work MDU! :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby magicdownunder » Thu May 05, 2016 9:10 am

Thanks for the report Lazer I didn't the get the chance to log on a test today.

On paper these seem like the weakest cards:
4 Titan's Strength
4 Village Messenger
2 Fiery Impulse
1 Roast

- - - -

If you were to change anything change any of these before the others (p.s. don't jam in dash creatures they won't work with the Avaricious Dragon).

dauntless268

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby dauntless268 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:21 pm

For the love of red! :flame:

Tested the deck quite extensively, results so at ok not great (a little bit better than 50/50 I would say).

Agree with LaZer that the combination of 1-Drops, Dragons and Burn is what gives the deck it's flavor.

Here's my thoughts on some of the cards:

1-drops in general
Not in love with any of them but if you can get at 1-2 of them in the early game you can at least put some pressure. I tried 2 additional berserkers in the main and liked it.

Neonate & Madness
Sure, Neonate provides some insurance against variance, but without some form of madness outlet I still feel he does preciously little. I want to try the following package next time

4 Neonate
4 Fiery Temper
3 Tormenting Voice

Obviously you would not normally want to waste time on something like Voice in a Red Deck, but maybe in this case it could work as we often don't have too much to do in t2 or 3?

Chandra
Has won me many games, and this deck usually allows her to flip if you ever untap with her. It's good vs. Aristocrats and Humans and some Eldrazi builds, not so hot against everything else. I think it's a matter of taste whether you want her maindeck or SB, I will test moving her to SB to make room for the above package.

Dragons
I feel 4 Thunderbreak, 1 Avaricious and 22 lands is correct. Not sure I want more than a singleton Haven.

Goldnight Castigator
Excellent anti-Languish card. Question: do you typically side out Thunderbreak when you bring in Castigator?

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby magicdownunder » Thu May 05, 2016 1:37 pm

Cheers for the report.

1) Fiery Temper <-- I tested the card and found it really lacking, 3cc is a lot to ask for and we don't want to sac Insolent Neonate unless we're desperate for lands or its gonna die. That said I also HATE Fiery Impulse and Roast MD so I'm not sure which I would prefer MD between the 3 (though I wouldn't play 4x Fiery Temper - I personally think 2x is the correct number for it 3 seems a bit much which Perobear's Gameday results suggest and from my own experience with the card).

Insolent Neonate is like Mogg Fanatic he is VERY underrated and can deals 3+ damage over the course of the game because no one wants to kill it - if you watched my videos I had one game where Neonate beats Bant pretty much on its own (yeah it was a long game).

2) Tormenting Voice <-- The VERY first red deck I ever tested was MonoR Madness made by someone from the FOS group and it had 2x Tormenting Voice in a deck with about 15 other Madness cards and I STILL didn't like it (looking back the FOS guy was ahead of curve since his deck look a lot like the the States Winning list).

3) I never board out Thunderbreak, if its vs a removal.deck I'll board out Avaricious and removals for the anti midrange/control package (its in my videos... though I don't think i posted one with Avaricious yet but my SB principles stay the same).

4) Regarding the Dragons package, I actually like Pedrobear's 2 Avaricious Dragon, 4 Thunderbreak Regent + 23 lands idea but I can't find the room for it. 2x Avaricious Dragon is a must though its the ONLY way Red can keep up with Wxx aggro/Coco/Tokens builds (I can see moving one Avaricious into the SB for the 4th Thunderbreak due to how bad it is vs removal.decks, Thunderbreak is never bad).

5) Chandra, yeah I agree I found her great vs Crats, Coco and Humans and since those are the only decks which bother us I think I'll keep them main (though 3 may not be the correct number for them).

6) 1-Drops, I like them beside 4x T.S (even V.M is decent vs aggro due to menace), Lightning Berserker is also really good against most decks which are not Coco and Humans - not so great in combine with A.Dragon though not the worst (better then shear).

EDIT:

I was denied outright when I suggested this in some forums but maybe non-google burn is viable...

Seems quite powerful:
Fiery Temper
Firecraft
Roar

Splash black and go big with sweepers, GDD and Card Draw as support would make for a strong anti-midrange/aggro deck (soft to control and ramp, maybe add dasher to fix that).

dauntless268

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby dauntless268 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:54 pm

How do you feel about Looming Spires? Just noted that your deck runs lots of 1 drops and no 2 drop besides Abbot - maybe worth the inclusion?

On RB Dragon Burn Midrange, it's still one of my favorite brews. It's one of those builds which with every tweak becomes ever more controlling (add sweepers, add Transgress, add Chandra Flamecaller, make it Mardu so you can add the Manlands etc etc.) but if you can resist the temptation it could be really cool.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby LaZerBurn » Thu May 05, 2016 6:14 pm

Played a few more games, still really enjoying the deck. Follow up thoughts on the last 2 posts.

1-drops in general
Not in love with any of them but I think they are essential. Messenger is good in this list, I like Zurgo and I agree with MDU on Neonate - the evasion and card draw alone make him worthwhile playing. I don't think he warrants the inclusion of Fiery Temper though. I'm surprised that I've not missed Lightning Berserker.

Chandra
I really like her and I'm happy at this point with 3 in the MD.

Dragons
I'm running the 3 Thunderbreak, 2 Avaricious and I'm happy with this split. I will try the 4/2 version though and report back. I do prefer 23 lands though. I found myself short too often on 22.

Goldnight Castigator
I love this card! :)

Looming Spires
I'm not a fan, I don't think the boost is worth the CIPT.

I'm currently here

[deck=MDU's Red Dragons]
Lands 23
22 Mountain

Creatures 23
4 Abbot of Keral Keep
2 Avaricious Dragon
4 Thunderbreak Regent
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Village Messenger
3 Zurgo Bellstriker

Spells 14
4 Draconic Roar
4 Exquisite Firecraft
2 Fiery Impulse
3 Titan's Strength

Sideboard 15
1 Tears of Valakut
1 Fiery Impulse
3 Scab-Clan Berserker
2 Roast
3 Twin Bolt
3 Rending Volley
2 Goldnight Castigator[/deck]

I'm not sure about the 3rd Impulse as we have 4 Roar MD and Volley or the Tears - it's good but the odds on drawing it are slim. I do like Scab Clan a lot.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby magicdownunder » Thu May 05, 2016 6:20 pm

@dauntless: Looming Spires is ok and it has won me a game before vs Esper Dragons, it has also messed with me in a number of occasions (same with Haven of the Spirit Dragon).

@Lazer: List looks solid, kinda want 1x Roast MD but Firecraft hits the same targets so its the logical cut - 3rd Impulse is very important due to green and devoid targets.

(hehehe almost want to MD 2xRoast and SB 3/4 Impulse... then I'll proceed to lose to manlands :sweat:)

dauntless268

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby dauntless268 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:23 pm

[deck]Dauntless Dragons[/deck]

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby magicdownunder » Fri May 06, 2016 10:26 am

Looks interesting - I like how everything hits face :D

- - - -

BTW I decided to test Larkblue's deck card for card since my earlier test with the deck included my so called improvements:

[deck=Lackblue's R Aggro]
Lands 22
21 Mountain

Creatures 24
4 Village Messenger
3 Zurgo Bellstriker
2 Goblin Glory Chaser
4 Abbot of Keral Keep
4 Sin Prodder
2 Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh
4 Thunderbreak Regent
1 Avaricious Dragon

Spells 14
4 Draconic Roar
4 Exquisite Firecraft
3 Titan's Strength
3 Fiery Impulse

Sideboard 15
1 Magmatic Chasm
3 Rending Volley
3 Twin Bolt
3 Roast
3 Scab-Clan Berserker
2 Goldnight Castigator [/deck]

Video report (click to watch):
G1 GB Eldrazi vs Larkblue's R Aggro Standard LE 11
G2 GB Aristocrats vs Larkblue's R Aggro Standard LE 11
G3 RU Sphinx's Tutelage vs Larkblue's R Aggro Standard LE 11
G4 WB Control vs Larkblue's R Aggro Standard LE 11
G5 GR Ramp vs Larkblue's R Aggro LE 11

I played the 21st Mountain over Looming Spires due to a misclick (not because I didn't want to test it again), the results were good I 4-1 losing to Crats. I like the numbers he used with the deck because it make SBing very smooth, my only complaint is that Goblin Glory Chaser window of usefulness is so narrow I can't justify it for further testing.

Sin Prodder as usual produced mixed results but I decided to look at it and pretend when the worst happen that its just a poor Abbot Flip (which is common enough). If I was to play Lark's list again the only main change would be 2x Goblin Glory Chaser into 2x Lightning Berserker.
Last edited by magicdownunder on Mon May 23, 2016 3:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

GoblinWarchief

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby GoblinWarchief » Fri May 06, 2016 11:34 am

I suggest giving a chance to kessig forgemaster.... i'm playing a list very similar to the one in the above post and my 2 drops creatures are 4 forgemaster 2 abbot, since abbot is not excellent in a higher curve list and forgemaster is very good against other creature decks (trades with sylvan advocate, cannot be blocked profitably by any x/1, transforms into an even more annoying threat)

dauntless268

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby dauntless268 » Fri May 06, 2016 2:34 pm

I guess I simply realized in my testing that games where I get to 4 mana and have Dragon(s) available are games I win and Games where I'm stuck with the 1-drops and a bit of removal are the ones I lose.

Tormenting Voice: I am in the market for free Lightning Bolts, making sure I get to 4 mana but not beyond, and for discarding useless 1-drops in the lategame... :) I need to do more testing to get to a really firm opinion, but from the few games I got with it so far it looks promising.

Sin Prodder looks attractive... BUT: Is this a way how our opponent can deny us access to the 4th land we need to unleash our 4-drops? If yes, then I won't touch the guy with a 5-foot pole...

Kessig Forgemaster Seems like a great card to have especially against Hangarback, our archenemy. Stats not particularly impressive in a vacuum, but from playing against it a couple of times I can testify it can be a annoying. Seems like it could be good against BG Aristocrats as well.

Glory Chaser I have to admit I am considering if this guy might be playable in combination with 4 Spires (same actually applies for Falkenrath Gorger), but I'd be too worried this makes our Dragons routinely enter the battlefield 1 turn later...

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby magicdownunder » Fri May 06, 2016 3:46 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Kessig Forgemaster mainly because the decks where we like him in are mainly the deck in which we're unlikely to attack in anyways.

In regards to hands - I'm not sure I find the hand where I'm clogged with 4-drops to be do nothing hands, I prefer casting 1-drops and spells for awhile till I draw the dragons later (it helps when the cards bait removal for you).

- - -

Woot I 4-1 again with lark's list (though I have berserker over glory seeker).

Hmmm.... I kinda want to play 4x Lightning Berserkers (cut the Dragon land) and 2x Village Messengers over my current 2x LB and 4x VM setup mainly because the MD already dedicates about 9 cards to the aggro/midrange MUs which are basically worthless against ramp and control. Hmmmm maybe 3x LB is the better number.

dauntless268

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby dauntless268 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:10 am

I 3-2ed my league yesterday, losing to Humans (hard to beat if they have their nut draws) and 4-color crats (my own fault, as I auto-piloted and auto-boarded only to get blown out my multiple Reflector Mages), winning vs. Esper Dragons (Castigator is so good), Grixis Midrange (Castigator is so good) and RG Ramp.

Spires, Voice and Temper all tested well. I ran 3x Falkenrath Gorger alongside a playset of Spires for a total if 14 1-drops.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby magicdownunder » Mon May 09, 2016 1:39 pm

Rg Aggro Top 32 Tokyo GP (its the best result red has so far, app. it had over 3000 people).

It took the going wide approach - which I previously declared wouldn't work in the current meta, seem like I was wrong.
Last edited by magicdownunder on Wed May 11, 2016 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

dauntless268

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby dauntless268 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:47 pm

Not happy with the Dragons anymore, MDU?

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby magicdownunder » Mon May 09, 2016 11:39 pm

Dragons are great (when they work) and are most likely the best MonoR configurations (at least it has been testing well for the most part) - it just that I hate how sometime you either hit a hand filled with gas and then draw into 2-dragons but never see 4-lands and then other time you hit a hand with lands and dragons but don't draw any early action (its sometimes feels like that the deck doesn't really know if its aggro or midrange).

THAT said - my complaints primary stem from variances, if you play the probability game odds are much higher to hit 4-lands then they are in hitting two dragons - adding in CA/Fixer cards like Tormenting Voice and others help. I personally believe that as a red player I should embrace the variances rather then have knee-jerk reactions to it (like I'am doing right now - though it could be possible that I'am on to something with pure small aggro which is why I need to test it).

- - -

Here is the list I tested today:

[deck=MDU's Exiled Red]Lands 21
21 Mountain

Creatures 25
4 Insolent Neonate
3 Zurgo Bellstriker
4 Village Messenger
4 Abbot of Keral Keep
4 Ire Shaman
4 Dragon Whisperer

Spells 14
4 Exquisite Firecraft
4 Titan's Strength
3 Fiery Impulse
3 Fiery Temper

Sideboard 15
3 Twin Bolt
3 Rending Volley
3 Scab-Clan Berserker
2 Goldnight Castigator
2 Roast
1 Fiery Impulse
1 Devour in Flames[/deck]

G1 GW Tokens vs Exiled Red Standard LE 10
G2 Bant Humans vs Exiled Red Standard LE 10
G3 Ramp vs Exiled Red Standard LE 10
G4 4C Aristocrats vs Exiled Red Standard LE 10
G5 Sultai Midrange vs Exiled Red Standard LE 10

I went LE 4-1: 1-2 (GW Tokens), 2-0 (Bant Coco), 2-0 (Ramp), 2-0 (4C Aristocrats) and 2-0 (Sultai Midrange).

Notes:
Vs GW Token I flooded out and drew 7 lands in both matches I lost, also misplay like a cump on R3
Vs Bant I almost made a dragon token (lol)

Dragon Whisperer is legit
Fiery Temper isn't great - but reach is relevant, not sure if 3 is the correct number but R is reach staved in this current format.

- - - -

I think I finally found the correct approach in dealing with GW Tokens (no its not a random magic card which just beats them (I wish...)) its just changing how I view them as an archetype and playing differently.

See for some odd reason I kept on looking at GW Token as an aggro deck (the same way I looked at Crats, Humans and Bant Coco) - that however is the wrong approach, they're basically a superfriends decks which places them in the midrange/control section - thus in the past when I bring in tons of control spells to deal with them, all I end up doing is playing against them on their playing field except I have worst equipment.

So for future encounters I'm just going to try racing them (in a slightly unique manner since they clog up the ground which is my usual approach).
Last edited by magicdownunder on Fri May 20, 2016 5:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby magicdownunder » Thu May 12, 2016 12:42 pm

I tested this abomination today:

[deck= MDU's Exiled Red]Lands 21
21x Mountain

Creatures 23
4x Village Messenger
4x Insolent Neonate
4x Ire Shaman
4x Dragon Whisperer
2x Abbot of Keral Keep
3x Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh
2x Goldnight Castigator

Spells 16
4x Titan's Strength
4x Exquisite Firecraft
4x Fiery Temper
2x Fiery Impulse
1x Tormenting Voice
1x Roast

Sideboard 15
3x Rending Volley
3x Twin Bolt
2x Abbot of Keral Keep
2x Goldnight Castigator
2x Fiery Impulse
1x Looming Spires
1x Roast
1x Act of Treason[/deck]

G1 BGu Seasons Past vs Exiled Red Standard LE 13
G2 RU Goggles vs Exiled Red Standard LE 13
G3 BW Control vs Exiled Red Standard LE 13
G4 BG Aristocrats vs Exiled Red Standard LE 13
G5 Esper Control vs Exiled Red Standard LE 13

Notes:
Abbot of Keral Keep is going back up into 4 MD
Tormenting Voice ... isn't that bad in the format since Humans isn't as popular (we have time to build our hand against everything else) - I like it, I managed to cast it twice (had it stuck in my hand once) - I would like to make sure I have 1x in all my 21 land builds but I'm not 100% on how to make it fit.
Goldnight Castigator is quite good MD - not sure if 4x is correct in the 75, I'll try Lightning Berserker in its slot (I think Lightning Berserker is better then Scab-Clan Berserker for the most part).

- - - -

I've notice comments have been slowing down - no one testing Dragons anymore?
Last edited by magicdownunder on Fri May 27, 2016 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pedrobear

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby Pedrobear » Thu May 12, 2016 12:59 pm

I'm not currently playing but that's funny to see how you get to my suggestions for 2 Drops (Ire Shaman and Dragon Whisperer) and Village Messenger replacement !

Keep on the good work, I'm watching your videos from time to time.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby LaZerBurn » Fri May 13, 2016 1:05 pm

I'm still playing with Dragons! :)

[deck] LaZer Dragons[/deck]

I'm here :) Haven't played a lot with this yet but I like the list.

No Abbot because I don't like him with Dragons and the other 2 drops simply work better in this list IMHO.

No Titan's because I found it underperforming too often.

Lots of 1 drops for early pressure, haste/dash, evasion, chump blocking and CA.

2 drops for evasion and CA.

Chandra because I really like her! :)

Plenty of reach (card quality isn't great but Burn is Burn! :D

Plenty of removal - 3 Roar and 3 Impulse may be too much though.

Dragons for evasion, CA and happiness! :D

SB - 6 to come in for removal Vs Control, 8 to come in for 1 drops Vs Aggro. Mix 'n' Match Vs Mid Range.

dauntless268

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby dauntless268 » Fri May 13, 2016 5:34 pm

I'm also still playing with mixed results. I actually own a lot of the expensive cards and from that angle find it difficult to justify not playing one of the Top Decks, but keep being drawn back to this - mainly encouraged by fond memories of playing Red in the past and your (MDU) fantastic results with it!!! :smileup:

I still like my current build - it's just that most games are on the edge and a single misplay means you don't get there. This is not like Bant Company where in 50% of the games after 3 turns you know the opponent doesn't stand a chance... ;-)

Anyways, here's where I am at

[deck]Dauntless Dragons[/deck]

I tested Dragon Whisperer a bit and it indeed seems legit. I like Abbot more than most of you guys seem to, but I'm playing it significantly more often on t2 than I used to.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby magicdownunder » Sat May 14, 2016 7:13 am

Thanks for the comments guys (they sustain me).

@Pedrobear: Cheers, the 2-drops are quite good though I think i over did it with them in my last few list. (p.s. if you just leave my videos playing on loop while you go to work i collect add money (tiny tiny amounts but it pleases me ego).

@Lazer: I think your correct with 23 lands for the dragons builds (22 is to greedy even with sudo red CA/Fixing).

@Dauntless: I know how you feel - its like in Modern I have the Affinity, Traditional Burn and Zoo list but when i find myself brewing 8-Whack and other Burn variants I sometimes wonder why I'm doing it. Then I remember I just like pointing burn at face in interesting and creative ways (its my favorite part of magic) - I think though if you want to grow at magic and become a "real" pro its better to leave those bias behind and just play the best decks (though I'm perfectly happy being "the red guy").

- - -

As it current stands the best performing red list are:

RG Tokens (26th in Tokyo GP) <-- deck tech inside
Dragon Aggro (Lark's list winning MTGO PTQ) <-- my personal favorite style
MonoR Madness (5th place in states) <-- I added SaffronOlive article.

- - -

I'm currently testing CA Bear Red with: Ire Shaman, Dragon Whisperer and Abbot of Keral Keep (I went 4-1 twice so far but I can't really decide on the 60)

and

RB Dragon Madnes Burn (which I 5-0 my league with... granted I shouldn't have won the first game but my Opp. punted)

[deck=MDU's RB Dragon Madness]Lands 23
4 Foreboding Ruins
3 Swamp
4 Smoldering Marsh
12 Mountain

Creatures 16
4 Heir of Falkenrath
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Thunderbreak Regent
4 Ravenous Bloodseeker

Spells 21
4 Alms of the Vein
4 Draconic Roar
4 Exquisite Firecraft
4 Fiery Temper
3 Lightning Axe
2 Tormenting Voice

Sideboard 15
3 Goldnight Castigator
2 Tormenting Voice
2 Sinister Concoction
3 Self-Inflicted Wound
3 Avacyn's Judgment
2 Virulent Plague[/deck]

Video Report:
G1 BW Control vs Rb Dragon Madness Standard LE 9
G2 Grixis vs Rb Dragon Madness Standard LE 9
G3 Wu Humans vs Rb Dragon Madness Standard LE 9
G4 Mardu Control vs Rb Dragon Madness Standard LE 9
G5 Bant Humans vs Rb Dragon Madness Standard LE 9

I'm going to admit I put this together for the lols after reading lazer's comment "Burn is Burn!" and I'm rather shocked at its performance so I think I might work on it a little more (toss in some Avaricious which basically reads madness enabler and should of been an automatic choice).

EDIT: Been working on the list and I have to say it really amuses how much EASIER the darn thing is to build WITHOUT the dragon package (grrrr... just going for low curve + mad burn really just seem better but I really want the dragon version to work and this time I put more then 1-minute of thought before jumping into it so hopefully tomorrow test will net another 5-0 :love: ).
Last edited by magicdownunder on Mon May 16, 2016 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby LaZerBurn » Sat May 14, 2016 6:39 pm

Thanks for the comments guys (they sustain me).
You're most welcome - your lists and vids are sustaining me too! :D

I'm also perfectly happy being the Red guy even when the deck is a bit lack lustre! :)
I'm going to admit I put this together for the lols after reading lazer's comment "Burn is Burn!" and I'm rather shocked at its performance so I think I might work on it a little more (toss in some Avaricious which basically reads madness enabler and should of been an automatic choice).
Delighted my 'BURN IS BURN' comment spawned a list! :D I'll give it a try when I've got over my excitement that Atarka is still good! :D

Obviously I've tried the Atarka list, thanks for posting it MDU, it's excellent! :) If you've not tried it guys I STRONGLY recommend doing so! :D

I feel as though I 'should' try the Larkblue list but it looks soooo bad on paper to me I haven't yet! :) The Dragons list I posted is the best Dragon I've played. There may be room for a few tweaks but overall I'm really happy with it! :)

Keep tapping Mountains Guys and remember - 'BURN IS BURN' :D

dauntless268

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby dauntless268 » Sat May 14, 2016 11:17 pm

I like RB a lot, here's a few points on your list
- agree that combining madness and Dragons might be too much to ask in terms of consistency
- is Bloodseeker legit? Seems like a horrible card in a list with so few madness outlets...
- if it is good, I see really no reason why not to run a playset of incorrigible youth.
- if Alms is good, why not try to squeeze in a 3rd color and play a few Painful Truths to refill your hand? I've actually tried Grixis with Jace and really liked it, but that's more of a tempo than an aggro deck.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby magicdownunder » Sun May 15, 2016 11:26 am

@dauntless: Not sure I kinda built that list on the fly while on a caffeine high - bloodseeker was good vs aggro (as a blocker) I basically sided it out vs everything else (I'm not overall keen on the deck though).

@All: Is it crazy to run 3-4x Avaricious Dragon in the SB for Atarka Red? Seem like pure gas vs Aggro and Token Based Midrange.

EDIT: Atarka testing didn't work out very well for me - I'm not really sure how to beat Crats, Coco and Humans (its solid vs control and heavy 1-for-1 midrange though).
Last edited by magicdownunder on Mon May 16, 2016 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

dauntless268

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby dauntless268 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:44 pm

Yes, Radiant Flames is almost painfully well positioned at the moment... :(

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby magicdownunder » Tue May 17, 2016 11:25 am

Well I just 5-0 a league running Red list which basically attempts to mash every "combo" / "trick" red has (beside pump).

[deck=MDU's Red Tricks]Lands 21
21 Mountain

Creatures 23
3 Zurgo Bellstriker
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Lightning Berserker
4 Abbot of Keral Keep
4 Ire Shaman
4 Thunderbreak Regent

Spells 16
4 Exquisite Firecraft
4 Draconic Roar
4 Fiery Temper
2 Tormenting Voice
1 Roast
1 Avacyn's Judgment

Sideboard 15
1 Avacyn's Judgment
1 Lightning Axe
1 Act of Treason
3 Rending Volley
3 Goldnight Castigator
4 Fiery Impulse[/deck]

G1 Goblins vs Red Tricks Standard LE 12
G2 Bant Company vs Red Tricks Standard LE 12
G3 Wr Humans vs Red Tricks Standard LE 12
G4 Sultai Control vs Red Tricks Standard LE 12
G5 Bant Humans vs Red Tricks Standard LE 12

The list still needs lots of work (like: Roast MD which should of been Lightning Axe and PostBoard vs aggro feeling very clunky) but I had a blast playing it (my favorite turn was dealing 7 damage for lethal vs Sultai control... yeah I somehow drew 9 lands with a 21 land deck - so its was enough to win via topping Insolent Neonate with my [card]Avacyn's Judgment[/card] inhand).

If your wondering about the land count 21 = 49+% of hitting 4 lands on the curve which obviously isn't good for my 4-drops - it does however hit well beyond 50% for 3 lands on curve which allows time for Abbot of Keral Keep, Ire Shaman, Tormenting Voice and Insolent Neonate to work its magic.
Last edited by magicdownunder on Wed May 25, 2016 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

dauntless268

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby dauntless268 » Tue May 17, 2016 10:12 pm

Pretty impressive, this 5-0ing all the time... :jam:

How often do you play Shaman as a plain 2/1 with Menace in this list?

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby magicdownunder » Wed May 18, 2016 3:48 am

Depends on the MU - in that league I played Bant Coco, Bant Humans, Wr Humans, Goblins and Sultai Control.

Vs Midrange, Ramp and Control I normally just play Shaman early when I can and then morph it late/mid game

Vs Aggro and Creature/Token Based Midrange the game becomes all about hitting key cards (burn) so I play it slow and just morph.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

MDU's Rx Builds

Postby Pedros » Wed May 18, 2016 8:27 am

Hey there ;)

RB Dragon Madnes Burn (which I 5-0 my league with... granted I shouldn't have won the first game but my Opp. punted)

[deck=MDU's RB Dragon Madness]Lands 23
4 Foreboding Ruins
3 Swamp
4 Smoldering Marsh
12 Mountain

Creatures 16
4 Heir of Falkenrath
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Thunderbreak Regent
4 Ravenous Bloodseeker

Spells 21
4 Alms of the Vein
4 Draconic Roar
4 Exquisite Firecraft
4 Fiery Temper
3 Lightning Axe
2 Tormenting Voice

Sideboard 15
3 Goldnight Castigator
2 Tormenting Voice
2 Sinister Concoction
3 Self-Inflicted Wound
3 Avacyn's Judgment
2 Virulent Plague[/deck]

Video Report:
G1 BW Control vs Rb Dragon Madness Standard LE 9
G2 Grixis vs Rb Dragon Madness Standard LE 9
G3 Wu Humans vs Rb Dragon Madness Standard LE 9
G4 Mardu Control vs Rb Dragon Madness Standard LE 9
G5 Bant Humans vs Rb Dragon Madness Standard LE 9
As always I watched your youtube to check if something of the level of rakdos agro or burn showed up. Sometimes I didnt like decklists (the one with a village messenger) and even I saw you are winning, didnt continue watching. However this time it was different.

I saw your first match, and even when opponent made lots of mistakes, I felt deck might have potential. Then I saw others matches and notices lots of opponents are not prepared for playing vs this kind of deck. What I like even more is the fact that this deck produces lots of card advantage with madness/discard while still atacking from a different angle. Current format dont have lots of lifegain action, and even if there is some, people are not prepared. Also it is extremely hard going under people with creatures, as almost every deck in a format is either agro themselves (WW, bant coco) or control with languish/radiant flames.

This is where evasion comes. Every game I saw neonate on turn 1 I counted how much damage he would produce. Most of the time it is around ~3, which then leads to CA after they use burn. I also really like heir of Falkenrath, 3/2 fly for 2 is extremely good value.

I dont think Avaricious dragon is a good option to be honest, as it then leads to reflector mage/instant speed being too good vs this deck.

For me this deck has much more potential than "Red tricks" you posted before. Dont get me wrong - decks looks awsome and is probably good at what it wants to do. Both might work well, however RB looks like it would be much better playing defensive. I might try it out as you created or as dauntless posted - Imo blue splash gives you awsome cards like Jace/Painful truths that might be what this deck needs.

Looking forward for development ;)
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Return to “Developing”