DevelopingGoblins!

Other developing decks

Moderator: LP, of the Fires

warwizard87
Regular Member
Posts: 400
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:31 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Post #121 by warwizard87 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:13 am

i think, untested of course, -3 ghor clan, -1 zhurgo +4 command main deck -3 command side +3 rabblemaster.
Kazekirimaru » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:17 pm wrote:I swear to God, every thread we make falls victim to Godwin's law except instead of Hitler it's redthirst's piece.

User avatar
Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
Posts: 9529
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:55 pm
Location: Largo, Florida
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 610 times

Post #122 by Khaospawn » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:05 pm

Yeah, it's possible that the command could run main over the rampagers. I can't test any of that until Dragons comes out on MTGO.
Image

hamfactorial » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:41 pm wrote:In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.

Col. Khaddafi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:02 pm wrote:I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

User avatar
Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
Posts: 9529
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:55 pm
Location: Largo, Florida
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 610 times

Post #123 by Khaospawn » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:14 pm

I think i want that 13th 1 drop
Image

hamfactorial » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:41 pm wrote:In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.

Col. Khaddafi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:02 pm wrote:I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

warwizard87
Regular Member
Posts: 400
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:31 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Post #124 by warwizard87 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:32 am

After testing tonight the deck smashes abzhan and affinity was having hellova lot of trouble with burn, you just cant beat a kor firewalker after board. I think the white build might be better since goblins can board in kor firewalkers of thier own.

So i think sadly boros goblins might be better
Kazekirimaru » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:17 pm wrote:I swear to God, every thread we make falls victim to Godwin's law except instead of Hitler it's redthirst's piece.

User avatar
Valdarith
Tire Aficionado
Posts: 5169
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Southeast AL
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Post #125 by Valdarith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:45 pm

There's plenty of ways for black to beat Firewalker.
Image

Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

warwizard87
Regular Member
Posts: 400
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:31 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Post #126 by warwizard87 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:54 pm

I suppose rain of gore does deal with it. In fact makes it look a bit silly tbh
Kazekirimaru » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:17 pm wrote:I swear to God, every thread we make falls victim to Godwin's law except instead of Hitler it's redthirst's piece.

User avatar
Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
Posts: 9529
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:55 pm
Location: Largo, Florida
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 610 times

Post #127 by Khaospawn » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:02 pm

:no:



The Mono Red list may just as well be the pure version of the deck. It has a really good sideboard against Burn; Pyrite Spellbomb and Dragon's Claw do some work.
Image

hamfactorial » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:41 pm wrote:In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.

Col. Khaddafi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:02 pm wrote:I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

warwizard87
Regular Member
Posts: 400
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:31 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Post #128 by warwizard87 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:18 am

after some serious testing mono red is most likely the best rout to go, however, i cant seem to beat affinity conistantly. been beating burn, twin and abzhan consitantly but stumbling vs affinity

list

[deck]4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Legion Loyalist
4 Goblin Guide
1 Spikeshot Elder
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Mogg War Marshal
4 Goblin Chieftain

4 Lightning Bolt
3 Collateral Damage
2 Goblin Grenade
3 Krenko's Command
3 Stoke the Flames

2 Teetering Peaks
18 Mountain

Sideboard
4 Rending Volley
3 Blood Moon
3 Pyrite Spellbomb
2 Dragon's Claw
3 Shattering Spree/Shatterstorm[/deck]

Collateral Damage has been so good, it basicly reads "sac a creature opponet disacrds a removal spell and pays that cards mana cost" its been better over all then grenade for me.

still having issues with affinity though, between whiplare, etched champion and vault scourge wearing a plating. i just cant seem to close games out vs it.
Kazekirimaru » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:17 pm wrote:I swear to God, every thread we make falls victim to Godwin's law except instead of Hitler it's redthirst's piece.

Sioux
Newcomer
Posts: 23
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:24 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Post #129 by Sioux » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:00 am

warwizard87 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:18 am wrote:after some serious testing mono red is most likely the best rout to go, however, i cant seem to beat affinity conistantly. been beating burn, twin and abzhan consitantly but stumbling vs affinity

list

[deck]4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Legion Loyalist
4 Goblin Guide
1 Spikeshot Elder
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Mogg War Marshal
4 Goblin Chieftain

4 Lightning Bolt
3 Collateral Damage
2 Goblin Grenade
3 Krenko's Command
3 Stoke the Flames

2 Teetering Peaks
18 Mountain

Sideboard
4 Rending Volley
3 Blood Moon
3 Pyrite Spellbomb
2 Dragon's Claw
3 Shattering Spree/Shatterstorm[/deck]

Collateral Damage has been so good, it basicly reads "sac a creature opponet disacrds a removal spell and pays that cards mana cost" its been better over all then grenade for me.

still having issues with affinity though, between whiplare, etched champion and vault scourge wearing a plating. i just cant seem to close games out vs it.


Due to budget reasons I can only play Goblins on Modern night at my LGS and Burn always keeps me from snagging 1st place, every time, so this is definitely giving me some hope. I had to resort to a Jund Goblins brew that snagged me 2nd place last month to even compete but, this sounds wonderful. Plus, there are very few Affinity players in my area whatsoever so I am definitely looking forward to Friday and Saturday.

Well, that is if I can get anyone to let me borrow the few cards in the sideboard I require. If not I'll probably stick with Jund Goblins for now.
Image

User avatar
GoblinWarchief
Regular Member
Posts: 377
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:31 pm
Location: Italy
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Goblins!

Post #130 by GoblinWarchief » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:27 pm

Guys, rejoice, piledriver joined our crew in modern !

If i have to be totally honest, I don't feel like he will make this deck tier one or anything. I have a little problem with him being a two drop that doesn't do anything relevant immediately. All the two drops i was playing before either had haste (spike jester, bushwhacker) or made tokens, so they were a little better against removal than piledriver. That said, he is just a very powerful card that deserves to be played. Like in legacy, his main functions will be: eat a removal spell/trade with a relevant creature like goyf/create an absurdly fast clock against combo decks/ CRUSH MERFOLKS all day long.

I feel like right now the list mostly builds itself :

[deck]
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Goblin Guide
4 Legion Loyalist
4 Goblin Piledriver
4 Spike Jester
4 Mogg War Marshal
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Chieftain

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Goblin Grenade

4 Auntie's Hovel
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Cavern of Souls
4 Blood Crypt
4 Mountain
[/deck]

Patrick Chapin likes dragon fodder/krenko's command over war marshal, but i disagree because this way you are making opposing counterspells live (especially spell snare), that otherwise with a cavern on the field would be relegated to just try to counter a grenade or bolt.

I would like having a couple more one drops (2 fanatics) but i really don't know what to cut. Also would be nice to try rabblemaster because him and piledriver together are insane with legion loyalist. And with piledriver and rabblemaster opposing removal spells would be very taxed.

I'm not saying the build i posted is necessarily the best, but i think it's a good starting point if someone new wants to try this archetype.

User avatar
magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado
Posts: 3234
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:55 pm
Location: NSW, Australia
Has thanked: 243 times
Been thanked: 260 times
Contact:

Goblins!

Post #131 by magicdownunder » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:43 pm

Looks sexy, do you think Piledriver will move goblins back into top9 Modern decks (based on goldfish)? It def. pair well/decent against Twins, Tempo, Robots, Merfolk, burn... errrmmm yeah it looks quite good Jund, bloom and Tron will remain a problem though unless you can think up some extra special SB options (I'm going to say thought seize, blood moon and LD but that seems rather soft).
Image

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

User avatar
GoblinWarchief
Regular Member
Posts: 377
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:31 pm
Location: Italy
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Goblins!

Post #132 by GoblinWarchief » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:22 pm

Well, i can't predict how much impact piledriver will have on the decks performances. What i know is that this deck was pretty good also before piledriver because, basically, it features the very effective gameplan of just killing the opponent as soon as possible. If burn is good, then also goblins are good. Burn will probably remain more competitive despite the printing of piledriver, but hey, goblins are goblins, and they are fun to play.

Of course there are differences between the two decks. For example, burn struggles against merfolks, while i always crushed them with goblins and now with piledriver i don't think i can ever lose. Goblins are softer to creature removal, but they are way better against counterspells due to a playset of cavern of souls.

As far as matchups go, well, robots always felt problematic to be honest ... you have to build a proper sideboard to beat them. Etched champion is just too good, and also skirge + plating could be game because we don't have that much removal. Of course, a huge first striking trampling piledriver could change the odds in this matchup too.
I feel pretty good against jund and tron instead. Yes, removal and sweepers are good against goblins, but not that good. We can just play haste creatures, bolt + grenade and kill them like burn would do. Kitchen Finks, for example, is much more scarier, and i guess CoCo decks will be hard to beat.

User avatar
Valdarith
Tire Aficionado
Posts: 5169
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Southeast AL
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Goblins!

Post #133 by Valdarith » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:22 am

Guys, I did a thing:

[deck=Naya Goblins]
Creatures (21)
4 Goblin Guide
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
2 Grim Lavamancer
3 Mogg Fanatic
4 Goblin Chieftain

Spells (19)
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Goblin Grenade
4 Atarka's Command
4 Dragon Fodder
4 Hordeling Outburst

Lands (20)
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Windswept Heath
2 Stomping Ground
1 Sacred Foundry
5 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
4 Path to Exile
1 Forked Bolt
2 Pyrite Spellbomb
1 Ancient Grudge
4 Destructive Revelry
3 Molten Rain
[/deck]

I'm in the early testing stages, but I've been crushing decks left and right. People aren't ready for a deck that goes wide and they're losing because of it. I have fought through ferocious Feed the Clan on a few occasions. One thing I'd like to do is come up with more one drops to increase the consistency. I don't think Spikeshot Elder is a legitimate contender because the deck is pretty mana intensive already. Goblin Glory Chaser is an option but kind of slow. Legion Loyalist is another option. I've found the white splash for Path to Exile to be clutch in beating the Tasigur/Goyf decks, particularly since they don't see it coming after game one. The deck can explode out of nowhere off a topdecked Bushwhacker and/or Atarka's Command.
Image

Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

User avatar
Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
Posts: 9529
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:55 pm
Location: Largo, Florida
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 610 times

Goblins!

Post #134 by Khaospawn » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:31 am

I have one better:

[deck=Goblin Burn]
Creature (27)
3 Vexing Devil
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Goblin Guide
4 Legion Loayalist
4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Mogg War Marshal
4 Goblin Bushwhacker

Spells (15)
3 Krenko's Command
1 Devastating Summons
2 Forked Bolt
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Shard Volley
4 Goblin Grenade

Land (18)
1 Contested War Zone
1 Cavern of Souls
16 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
1 Mountain
2 Dismember
2 Frenzied Goblin
2 Stingscourger
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Pyrite Spellbomb
2 Shattering Spree
2 Rending Volley
[/deck]

No lords = no dreams crushed. This deck is lean and mean and is actually better than Burn.
Image

hamfactorial » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:41 pm wrote:In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.

Col. Khaddafi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:02 pm wrote:I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

User avatar
Valdarith
Tire Aficionado
Posts: 5169
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Southeast AL
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Goblins!

Post #135 by Valdarith » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:53 am

I just cut one lord and am considering going down further. Trying out Loyalist right now.
Image

Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

User avatar
Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
Posts: 9529
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:55 pm
Location: Largo, Florida
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 610 times

Goblins!

Post #136 by Khaospawn » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:18 am

Loyalist is HUGE. Gets around Soul tokens and Elemental tokens. ;)
Image

hamfactorial » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:41 pm wrote:In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.

Col. Khaddafi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:02 pm wrote:I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

User avatar
Valdarith
Tire Aficionado
Posts: 5169
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Southeast AL
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Goblins!

Post #137 by Valdarith » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:38 am

I am loving access to Path out of the board.
Image

Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

User avatar
Valdarith
Tire Aficionado
Posts: 5169
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Southeast AL
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Goblins!

Post #138 by Valdarith » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:57 am

[deck=Naya Goblins]
Creatures (16)
4 Goblin Guide
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
2 Grim Lavamancer
2 Mogg Fanatic
2 Legion Loyalist

Spells (24)
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Goblin Grenade
4 Atarka's Command
4 Dragon Fodder
3 Krenko's Command
4 Hordeling Outburst

Lands (20)
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Windswept Heath
2 Stomping Ground
1 Sacred Foundry
5 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
4 Path to Exile
1 Forked Bolt
2 Pyrite Spellbomb
1 Ancient Grudge
4 Destructive Revelry
3 Molten Rain
[/deck]

Trying to go a little wider. Added Krenko's Command for a more consistent two drop because the deck didn't have enough non-Bushwhacker one drops to go t1 one drop into t2 one drop one drop consistently.
Image

Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

User avatar
Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
Posts: 9529
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:55 pm
Location: Largo, Florida
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 610 times

Goblins!

Post #139 by Khaospawn » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:20 am

You don't need Path. Not with this deck.
Image

hamfactorial » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:41 pm wrote:In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.

Col. Khaddafi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:02 pm wrote:I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

User avatar
magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado
Posts: 3234
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:55 pm
Location: NSW, Australia
Has thanked: 243 times
Been thanked: 260 times
Contact:

Goblins!

Post #140 by magicdownunder » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:22 am

I think Val's list looks quite solid - Modern is a 1-for-1 format so lots of tokens and command/bushwacker does seem like a good place to be.

PtE is fine when your up against company, zoo and the like - persist and ooze is a thing sadly.
Image

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

User avatar
Valdarith
Tire Aficionado
Posts: 5169
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Southeast AL
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Goblins!

Post #141 by Valdarith » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:57 pm

I've found it necessary for the Company decks. Finks in particular is annoying and I can also bring it in against Jund and Affinity.
Image

Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

User avatar
Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
Posts: 9529
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:55 pm
Location: Largo, Florida
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 610 times

Goblins!

Post #142 by Khaospawn » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:19 pm

I really think you need the 4th Goblin Grenade.

Also, try Contested Warzone. It's like Bushwhacker #5 most of the time.

And no War Marshal? Say it isn't so!
Image

hamfactorial » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:41 pm wrote:In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.

Col. Khaddafi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:02 pm wrote:I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

User avatar
Valdarith
Tire Aficionado
Posts: 5169
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 pm
Location: Southeast AL
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Goblins!

Post #143 by Valdarith » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:49 pm

Having more than one Grenade in hand has been awkward at times. Decided to try three and see how it did. So far so good. Mana is also a bit tight for War Marshal. I want both my tokens to be attacking the next turn without the aid of a Bushwhacker, and I pretty much never want to pay the echo cost.

I have a lot of colored symbols in my spells so War Zone might be too greedy. It's also kinda pitiful in aggro mirrors which I seem to be facing a lot of.
Image

Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

User avatar
Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
Posts: 9529
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:55 pm
Location: Largo, Florida
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 610 times

Goblins!

Post #144 by Khaospawn » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:00 pm

War Zone isn't greedy. It's well worth it, but it's also why I run a Mountain in the sideboard so i can board it out when I need too.
Last edited by Khaospawn on Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

hamfactorial » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:41 pm wrote:In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.

Col. Khaddafi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:02 pm wrote:I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

User avatar
Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
Posts: 9529
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:55 pm
Location: Largo, Florida
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 610 times

Goblins!

Post #145 by Khaospawn » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:02 pm

Here's the thing about War Marshall - he helps one of the best cards in your deck stay one of the best cards in your deck ( I'm talking about Foubdry Street Denizen). He's an amazing blocker againt the other aggro decks and is the absolute best target for Grenade.
Image

hamfactorial » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:41 pm wrote:In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.

Col. Khaddafi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:02 pm wrote:I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

User avatar
magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado
Posts: 3234
(View: All /In topic)
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:55 pm
Location: NSW, Australia
Has thanked: 243 times
Been thanked: 260 times
Contact:

Goblins!

Post #146 by magicdownunder » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:20 am

[deck=MDU's Rg Gobots]Lands 18
4 Copperline Gorge
4 Stomping Ground
4 Mountain
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Scalding Tarn

Other Spells 14
4 Goblin Grenade
3 Atarka's Command
4 Mishra's Bauble
3 Kuldotha Rebirth

Creatures 28
4 Memnite
4 Signal Pest
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Reckless Bushwhacker
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Mogg Fanatic

Sideboard 15
4 Tormod's Crypt
4 Legion Loyalist
2 Goblin Piledriver
2 Destructive Revelry
2 Tin Street Hooligan
1 Spikeshot Elder[/deck]

(Using a 4:1 Ratio)
Image

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link


Return to “Developing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests