BW Humans

Other developing decks

Moderator: LP, of the Fires

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

BW Humans

Postby hamfactorial » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:32 pm

I watched some of the Modern Pro Tour yesterday and saw the top 8 consisting mostly of Junk, Burn and some familiar combo faces (Twin, Amulet Bloom).

I was previously brewing on a 3-color Dega list, but the rise of fatties like Tarmogoyf, Siege Rhino, Primeval Titan made me think that single-target removal (Path, Orzhov Charm) will be better as damage-based removal (Lightning Bolt, Lightning Helix) becomes worse. I cut the red and went straight black-white to support my hard human theme with access to MD Liliana, who becomes immeasurably better with Delver gone.

There's some nice synergy between all my 1-drops and Orzhov Charm, letting me re-buy my dudes in the long game. I can also use it as an unsummon to save my dudes from removal in a pinch.

[deck]BW Humans[/deck]

I brewed this up last night on my phone, and I'm currently playing it for the first time in the daily (because #yolo, $6 playtest is good EV :V ).

Round 1: Win vs. Junk Midrange (2-0)

G1 - I'm on the draw. He strips my hand of a Dark Confidant with IoK. I play a Champion of the Parish. He strips my hand of a Path. I play a Thalia. He plays a Tarmogoyf, I kill it with Orzhov Charm. He plays another Tarmogoyf, I kill it with Orzhov Charm. He plays a Siege Rhino, I get rid of it with Path to Exile. I drop a pair of Student of Warfare and we play the go-wide game with his Treetop Village vs. my team of weenies.

G2 - I sideboard in Rest in Peace for an Orzhov Charm. The game plays out much the same way, except I draw a Liliana and he's forced to sacrifice a Scavenging Ooze and a Tarmogoyf before trying to stabilize with a Siege Rhino. I Orzhov Charm it for great justice.

Round 2: Win vs. UB Mill (2-0)

G1 - I'm on the draw. He plays a Watery Grave and passes, I think Grixis. I play a Champion of the Parish and pass. He plays an Island and targets me with Glimpse the Unthinkable. This is unthinkable! I play a Dark Confidant. He hits me with an Archive Trap after I fetch, which spills 3 Bloodsoaked Champion into the graveyard, among other things. I attack with my team, slap a Bloodsoaked Champion down (for a free +1/+1 counter), then do the same thing next turn with the other 2. He can't mill me fast enough, and I Orzhov Charm the two Hedron Crabs that he recruits for defense.

G2 - I sideboard in 1 Rest in Peace, 2 Runed Halo, 4 Leyline, 1 Linvala for 4 Path and 4 Orzhov Charm. I keep an opener with 2 Leyline, 2 Liliana, 1 Swamp, 1 Champion, 1 Runed Halo. I decide that being up a game, I can risk being stalled on land if he can't mill me. I indeed stall on land, but he has nothing to do with a hand full of mill spells. I finally draw a Plains, play my Dark Confidant which meets an Abrupt Decay, then find an Isolated Chapel to either play my Liliana or a Thalia. I go AFK for a bit to fill up on water, during which he concedes since mill is a deck for weak, ineffectual men.

Round 3: Loss vs. Nykthos Devotion (1-2)

I suppose I can't be mad, he had once-in-a-lifetime draws. G1 he hit me with the nut draw of Burning-Tree Emissary into another BTE into another BTE into a Wistful Selkie and then a giant Nykthos Genesis Wave on turn 4 to find a Craterhoof Behemoth. I beat him down the old fashioned way in G2, then he nut drew me again in G3. The only thing I had in the SB was a pair of Revoke Existence for his Utopia Sprawl.

:flame: :argh:

Round 4: Loss vs. Affinity (1-2)

Mulled to oblivion in G2, then lost G3 to 3 Etched Champions :( :toot:

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby hamfactorial » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:05 pm

The spear of Heliod wasn't very good, and Thalia was kind of lackluster.

The Soldier of the Pantheon slot probably should have been Doomed Traveler for extra chumping against Affinity.

I'll think about the creature slots some more, otherwise I liked the way the deck played. Liliana and Sorin were both very good.

Return to “Developing”