[Primer] UR Delver

Moderator: LP, of the Fires

Platypus
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

[Primer] UR Delver

Postby Platypus » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:12 am

UR Delver
Want to play a skill intensive tempo deck capable of quick wins? Look no further, UR Delver might be what you're looking for. Focusing around one of the most aggressively costed blue creatures printed, Delver of Secrets, and a red token generator, Young Pyromancer, this deck can win early from either a flying 3/2 creature or a swarm of tokens.

Let's take a look at what cards a typical UR Delver deck contains. In order to reliably flip a Delver of Secrets we need to run a high amount of Instant and Sorcery spells, around 25-30. We also want a low land count (18-20), which means we can only run a few creatures and must keep the general mana curve low.

Creatures

Delver of Secrets - The creature the deck is built around. Ideally, we want to play a Delver of Secrets on the first turn and flip it on our second turn, creating a 3/2 flying creature that must be dealt with. Amount needed: 4 is a must.

Snapcaster Mage - The deck will have lots of spells going to the graveyard, and being able to flashback them as needed is really important. One of the best blue creatures ever printed. Amount needed: 3-4, leaning towards 4.

Young Pyromancer - Since we have lots of spells, and cheap ones, it's easy to create a decent token army to either use as a chump blockers or as an attack force. Amount needed: 3-4, leaning towards 4.

Grim Lavamancer - One of red's best one-drops. Gives you repeatable removal, and a way to get more use out of your graveyard. But it isn't a vital creature like the first three. Amount needed: 0-2.

Vendilion Clique - An aggressively costed 3/1 flier that can be flashed in, and that can either filter one of your cards or get rid one of your opponent's cards. Not essential, but good to have. Amount needed: 0-3.

Spells

Gitaxian Probe - A "free" cantrip, that also gives you information on what your opponent is holding. With Young Pyromancer on the battlefield you can create tokens while keeping lands open for important counterspells or removal. Amount needed: 4, very important.

Serum Visions - Another cheap cantrip, that can set up your future turns as well, and thus help flip Delver. Amount needed: 4, very important.

Lightning Bolt - Needs no introduction. Amount needed: 4, no reason to use fewer.

Pillar of Flame - The exile clause helps get rid of creatures permanently. Amount needed: 2-4, you probably want a few somewhere in your 75.

Magma Spray - Same as Pillar of Flame, but this is an Instant, which might be relevant sometimes. On the other hand, it only hits creatures. Amount needed: 0-4, use if you want the instant speed and isn't bothered by not being able to burn the opponent.

Remand - Counterspell and cantrip in one. Of course, it isn't permanent, but a one turn delay might be all you need. A great tempo spell. Amount needed: You probably want the full 4.

Spell Pierce - A cheap counterspell for those early turns. Doesn't target creatures, and becomes less relevant the longer the game goes. Amount needed: 2-4, you want a few maindeck, but probably not the full set.

Spell Snare - Another cheap counterspell, but very limited. However, there's several spells in Modern with a casting cost of 2 that you want to get rid of, for example Tarmogoyf and Bitterblossom. Amount needed: 0-4, a bit meta dependent.

Mana Leak - A hard counter early, but less relevant in the long run. Amount needed: 3-4.

Vapor Snag - Unsummon variant, but due to the damage clause it's preferable to Unsummon. Bouncing opponent's blockers and saving your own creatures (or reuse Snapcaster Mage) is important. Amount needed: 3-4

The rest are more optional, but you might want to consider some amounts of them somewhere in you 75

Magma Jet - A bit expensive for the damage amount, but helps you set up future turns and thus flip Delvers.

Forked Bolt - A 2-for-1 removal spell, might come in handy against spirit tokens (Lingering Souls) and faeries (Bitterblossom).

Arc Trail - Same as Forked Bolt, but a bit more expensive. Takes down a toughness 2 creature though.

Electrolyze - Another 2-for-1. This time an Instant and therefore more flexible, also a cantrip. But more costly at 3.

Izzet Charm - Flexible, both removal and counterspell. Third mode might not be relevant in this deck.

Negate - A hard counter against non-creatures. Perhaps not maindeckable.

Essence Scatter - Negate's companion spell, against creatures. Perhaps even less maindeckable.

Burst Lightning - Another cheap burn spell, that becomes better in the long run.

Land

Steam Vents - You need both colors early, so 3-4 of these are a must.

Scalding Tarn/Misty Rainforest - Blue fetchlands are preferable, because Islands are more important. Use the full set of 8 if you have them.

Sulfur Falls - Another dual land, but it's probably not worth running the full 4 set of this, because you often don't want to start with a tapped land on your first turn.

Mutavault - Gives another threat, but 2 are probably maximum since you don't want it on your first turn.

Faerie Conclave - Another man land. Gives a flier, but comes tapped in play.

Ghitu Encampment - Worst of the three man lands worth considering. But I think the first two choices are always going to be preferred.

Island/Mountain - Basic lands are needed, and you want to run more Islands than Mountains.

Artifacts

[card]Runechanter's Pike[/card] - Since we run a lot of spells, this equipment can become a real force. Cheap to play and equip, and the First Strike is very relevant. Use 1-2 at most.

Sideboard options

Hibernation - Can set back green based decks, like Gruul Zoo, and a way to get rid of Hexproof/Shroud creatures that are common in green.

Flashfreeze - Modern have several often played red and green spells. If you face lots of decks based around red and green, Flashfreeze is a sideboard option to consider,

Dispel - Cheap hard counterspell, but also very limited. Use against control decks featuring lots of instant spells.

Counterflux - When you really want to win counterspell wars.

Shattering Blow - Affinity decks always have to be considered in Modern, as well as Spellskite. So anti-artifact spells have to be considered. Shattering Blow exile the artifact, which is best against Wurmcoil Engine since no tokens gets left behind.

Vandalblast - A cheap spell early, and a blowout later. The Overload cost at five is a bit high for this deck though.

Smash to Smithereens - If you want to deal some damage at the same time.

Shattering Spree - Can destroy several artifacts at once, but since this deck leans towards Blue it won't be so effective. However, a 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 can be enough.

Blood Moon - The deck has many basic lands, which means Blood Moon might be more crippling for the opponent.

Combust - 5 uncounterable, unpreventable damage for 2 mana is nothing to sneeze at. Will be even more important against Faeries.

Threads of Disloyalty - It's limited and dies to the commonly played Abrupt Decay. But stealing a Tarmogoyf is always nice.

Flame Slash - Cheap and gets rid of bigger creatures than Lightning Bolt. But Sorcery speed and only being able to hit creatures makes it sideboard material.

Sample decks

Carlos Moral's Top 4 deck from GP Prague 2014:

[deck]Land
6 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Mountain
2 Mutavault
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Steam Vents

Creatures
4 Delver of Secrets
1 Grim Lavamancer
4 Snapcaster Mage
2 Vendilion Clique
4 Young Pyromancer

Spells
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Pillar of Flame
4 Remand
4 Serum Visions
2 Spell Pierce
2 Spell Snare
3 Vapor Snag

Sideboard
2 Blood Moon
1 Grim Lavamancer
1 Hibernation
2 Magma Spray
2 Negate
2 Shatterstorm
1 Spell Pierce
3 Threads of Disloyalty
1 Vendilion Clique[/deck]

Gameplay videos

GP Prague 2014 Quarter Final:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Phgd5gmWU

GP Prague 2014 Semi Final:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7tPeWgesqU
Last edited by Platypus on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:31 am, edited 12 times in total.
Sig by NBW

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:13 am

Reserved: Decks from competitive events.
Last edited by Platypus on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sig by NBW

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:14 am

Decks from thread participants.
Platypus' deck, not optimal
[deck]
Lands (19)
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Arid Mesa
4 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls
1 Mutavault
2 Mountain
7 Island

Creatures (13)
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Snapcaster Mage
1 Grim Lavamancer

Artifacts (2)
2 Runechanter's Pike

Spells (26)
4 Serum Visions
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Pillar of Flame
4 Remand
4 Vapor Snag
2 Spell Pierce
2 Spell Snare

Sideboard (15)
2 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Combust
2 Forked Bolt
2 Magma Spray
2 Blood Moon
2 Counterflux
3 Hibernation
[/deck]
Valdarith's deck
[deck]
Creatures (12)
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Snapcaster Mage

Spells (30)
4 Serum Visions
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Vapor Snag
2 Spell Pierce
4 Magma Jet
4 Remand
n3 Mana Leak
2 Runechanter's Pike

Lands (18)
2 Scalding Tarn
4 Steam Vents
4 Sulfur Falls
2 Mountain
6 Island

Sideboard (15)
2 Dispel
2 Pillar of Flame
1 Vandalblast
1 Shattering Blow
2 Combust
3 Hibernation
2 Electrolyze
2 Counterflux
[/deck]
rcwraspy's deck
Creatures - 14
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Snapcaster Mage
2 Grim Lavamancer

Spells - 26
4 Remand
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Serum Visions
2 Spell Pierce
2 Spell Snare
3 Vapor Snag
1 Electrolyze
2 Pillar of Flame
4 Lightning Bolt

Land - 20
4 Steam Vents
4 Scalding Tarm
4 Misty Rainforest
6 Island
2 Mountain

Sideboard - 15
1 Shadow of Doubt
3 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Hibernation
2 Combust
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Forked Bolt
2 Magma Spray
2 Counterflux
Last edited by Platypus on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:04 am, edited 5 times in total.
Sig by NBW

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:15 am

Reserved: For anything that might be needed.
Sig by NBW

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:50 am

Good start to the primer. For the record, here is my decklist:

[deck]
Creatures (12)
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Snapcaster Mage

Spells (30)
4 Serum Visions
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Vapor Snag
2 Spell Pierce
4 Magma Jet
4 Remand
3 Mana Leak
2 Runechanter's Pike

Lands (18)
2 Scalding Tarn
4 Steam Vents
4 Sulfur Falls
2 Mountain
6 Island

Sideboard (15)
2 Dispel
2 Pillar of Flame
1 Vandalblast
1 Shattering Blow
2 Combust
3 Hibernation
2 Electrolyze
2 Counterflux
[/deck]

Only thing I'm missing to optimize the list are the fetchlands.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Calamity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Calamity » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:37 pm

I'm running Hoogland's UR fae version, here: http://articles.deckfactory.com/ur-fae- ... layer-50k/

Bitterblossom seems like a difficult card to handle for this deck, we might have to start running more copies of spell snare mainboard.
Official Firebat of FoS

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:11 pm

I agree, Spell Snare just became a lot more relevant. Lingering Souls is already a problematic card for the deck, so a resolved Bitterblossom will be as well.
Sig by NBW

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:21 pm

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. For my list I like taking out a Vapor Snag and a Magma Jet for two Spell Snare.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:48 pm

hrm, I just realized I have a fair amount of the cards for a list like this. I'm missing V.Clique (which doesn't need to be in every build, it seems like, and was only a 2x in the primer list), Remand (can pick up for a semi-fair price), and Serum Visions (cheap). I only have 1 Counterflux but would likely want another - and those could potentially take V.Clique's spot.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:29 pm

Don't forget that the decks packing BB will also be playing Thoughtseize. The most powerful thing you can do is T1 'seize into T2 BB. Remember that. So long, BB counter-we hardly knew ye.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:36 pm

Yeah, that is true. I must admit that the new banned list is a bit worrying for this deck. Not having to face a first turn Deathrite Shaman is good, but both Wild Nacatl and Bitterblossom goes into decks that are a bit tough for this deck.
Sig by NBW

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:04 pm

What are your opinions on Vendilion Clique? I have never played with the card and it's a bit out of my league price-wise. Which is why I don't have it in my list. It's obviously good, but how good?

Spellstutter Sprite is a creature I've considered trying, most likely taking Vendilion Clique's place in my list.
Last edited by Platypus on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sig by NBW

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:24 pm

That quarter final match video I posted really helped me understand a bit more how to play this deck. Some things I noticed about his deck vs. my own (posted in the "Winning my way into Modern" thread):

- 20 lands vs. 18 lands. I noticed that I sometimes felt that 18 was a bit too low. He has very cheap spells, but an expensive sideboard which is probably why he went with 20 lands.
- Except for the Snapcaster Mages, Vendilion Cliques, and Remands, all his spells cost one mana. This allows him to play a Young Pyromancer on the third turn and still have mana available for removal or a counterspell (or Vapor Snag) to protect it. This felt like a great strength to me when I watched the match.

With that in mind, this is my current version:

[deck]
Lands (19)
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Arid Mesa
4 Steam Vents
2 Mutavault
3 Mountain
6 Island

Creatures (12)
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Young Pyromancer
2 Snapcaster
Mage
2 Grim Lavamancer

Artifacts (2)
2 Runechanter's Pike

Spells (27)
4 Serum Visions
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Pillar of Flame
4 Remand
4 Vapor Snag
4 Spell Pierce

Sideboard (15)
2 Threads of Disloyalty
3 Combust
2 Arc Trail
2 Magma Spray
1 Shattering Blow
2 Negate
3 Flashfreeze
[/deck]

It's not optimized, mostly due to card availability. I like to have a 3/1 split between Snapcaster Mage and Grim Lavamancer, and Spell Snares instead of some of the Spell Pierces. The sideboard is a bit iffy as well.
Sig by NBW

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:10 pm

That quarter final match video I posted really helped me understand a bit more how to play this deck. Some things I noticed about his deck vs. my own (posted in the "Winning my way into Modern" thread):

- 20 lands vs. 18 lands. I noticed that I sometimes felt that 18 was a bit too low. He has very cheap spells, but an expensive sideboard which is probably why he went with 20 lands.
- Except for the Snapcaster Mages, Vendilion Cliques, and Remands, all his spells cost one mana. This allows him to play a Young Pyromancer on the third turn and still have mana available for removal or a counterspell (or Vapor Snag) to protect it. This felt like a great strength to me when I watched the match.

With that in mind, this is my current version:

[deck]
Lands
(19)
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Arid Mesa
4 Steam Vents
2 Mutavault
3 Mountain
6 Island

Creatures (12)
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Young Pyromancer
2 Snapcaster Mage
2 Grim Lavamancer

Artifacts (2)
2 Runechanter's Pike

Spells (27)
4 Serum Visions
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Pillar of Flame
4 Remand
4 Vapor Snag
4 Spell Pierce

Sideboard (15)
2 Threads of Disloyalty
3 Combust
2 Arc Trail
2 Magma Spray
1 Shattering Blow
2 Negate
3 Flashfreeze
[/deck]

It's not optimized, mostly due to card availability. I like to have a 3/1 split between Snapcaster Mage and Grim Lavamancer, and Spell Snares instead of some of the Spell Pierces. The sideboard is a bit iffy as well.
I've been looking into this deck quite a bit lately. I have a few modern events coming up and I may head to GP Richmond, so I need to land on a deck and this is a contender for me since I have the card pool for it.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the list wants EITHER Grim Lavamancer OR
Runechanter's Pike, but not both. A couple of reasons:
1. They have anti-synergy, though you can of course play around that
2. The other 2 slots should be your 3rd and 4th Snapcaster or more non-creature spells

In other words, you have a permanent flex count of 2 spots in the deck, and I feel it should be either Grim Lavamancer or Runechanter's Pike. Something else I want to test out is 1x Pike and 1x Spellheart Chimera, but the 3 toughness is an issue in Modern with Bolt being the most played card in the format.

Here's where I'm at right now:

[deck]
Creatures - 14
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Snapcaster Mage
2 Grim Lavamancer

Spells - 26
4 Remand
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Serum Visions
2 Spell Pierce
2 Spell Snare
3 Vapor Snag
1 Electrolyze
2 Pillar of Flame
4 Lightning Bolt

Land - 20
4 Steam Vents
4 Scalding Tarm
4 Misty Rainforest
6 Island
2 Mountain

Sideboard - 15
1 Shadow of Doubt
3 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Hibernation
2 Combust
Relic of Progenitus
1 Forked Bolt
2 Magma Spray
2 Counterflux
[/deck]
Last edited by rcwraspy on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:25 pm

It's almost exactly what I'm going to run next time except Pike instead of Lavaman and fewer land with no maindeck Electrolyze.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:39 pm

Val, what do you think the deck's worst matchups are? My SB is hedging a lot of matchups, but I'd love to hear from someone more experienced with the deck regarding what to hedge more or less.

For instance, I feel that fast Affinity is a problem so I'm boarding 3-4 Hurkyl's Recall. Anything else along that same vein?

I initially had 3 Torpor Orb for the Twin matchup but that shuts off my own Snapcaster. Should I stay on that plan and board out Snap in that matchup, or change it up? I changed it to 2x Relic of Progenitus and 1x Forked Bolt, with the thought that DRS gone may mean more GY shenanigans and BB back could mean Forked cards are more important.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:58 pm

I think Gruul Zoo decks are quite tough. The have fast big creatures and removal, and think they're going to get even better with Wild Nacatl entering the format. But we have some decent sideboarding options: Hibernation, Flashfreeze, Spell Snare (mostly against Tarmos).

As for the Pikes...well I use them mostly to fill out for the missing Snapcasters right now. But I quite liked them in my first event with the deck, helped me stall out the game against a mono-green deck that otherwise would have been over very quickly. In that event I used only one Lavamancer, and I didn't feel any anti-symmetry between them then. But it might be different with 2 each. I must say that the Lavamancers didn't stay long enough on the table to start removing instants and sorceries. The were usually enough lands and creatures to remove. But more testing is needed that's for sure
Last edited by Platypus on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sig by NBW

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:13 pm

Affinity and Zoo are worst by a lot. Storm is unfavorable but not quite as bad. Every other matchup feels favorable to me.

You don't want Torpor Orb in your sideboard. It's far too reactive and not as flexible as Combust which can be used in a much larger amount of matchups.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:16 pm

I don't think Spellheart Chimera is any good here, it's just too easily removed. But I'm not opposed to testing a couple either. But I really think that Pike is better, if you want that effect. It can swing into action the same turn, and later swing then re-equip to get a good blocker. That is just not doable with the Chimera.

While I'm writing I think Izzet Staticaster should be tested as a sideboard card. It takes care of several faeries, Bitterblossom tokens, Lingering Souls tokens (popular around here and felt annoying against this deck), mana dorks (might become more popular now that Deathrite Shaman is gone). Electrickery might become more useful for the same reasons, but Staticaster give repeatable damage.
Sig by NBW

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:16 am

I had Izzet Staticaster in my sideboard at FNM a couple of months ago but never got to use him. It's a lot more relevant now that people are going to start forcing Fae and token builds.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:39 am

good call on Staticaster. I had thought of it but left it out. Maybe I'll give it a go at a smaller Modern event this Sunday.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:50 am

It's also really good to play Staticaster in a deck with Runechanter's Pike. :)

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:05 pm

I've acquired a few more essential cards, and Snapcaster 3 and 4, so I will probably do some changes to my deck in the near future. And I need to get some more practice with the deck as well. We have a local Modern GP trial in March, followed by a local "Modern Champs" tournament the week after, with at least 1000€ in the price pool. So some great opportunities coming up for me soon.

I've updated the primer with another video (semi final from GP Prague) and some notes on the sideboard cards (have some more to add there, but that's for another day). And I collected the decks from this thread into the reserved post at the beginning.
Sig by NBW

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Ok, so this is what I'll try (hopefully) at next week's FNM:

[deck]
Lands (19)
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Arid Mesa
4 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls
2 Mutavault
2 Mountain
6 Island

Creatures (13)
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Snapcaster Mage
1 Grim Lavamancer

Artifacts (2)
2 Runechanter's Pike

Spells (26)
4 Serum Visions
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Pillar of Flame
4 Remand
3 Vapor Snag
2 Spell Pierce
2 Spell Snare

Sideboard (15)
2 Threads of Disloyalty
3 Combust
2 Forked Bolt
2 Magma Spray
2 Shattering Blow
1 Vapor Snag
3 Hibernation
[/deck]

Thoughts:

- Do I really need two Magma Spray in the SB with 3 Pillar of Flame in the maindeck? One more Forked Bolt and something else instead? Or more Spell Pierces?
- Should I try to get some Mana Leaks in there somehow?
- Two Mutavaults might be too much?
Sig by NBW

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:18 pm

Ok, so this is what I'll try (hopefully) at next week's FNM:

[deck]
Lands (19)
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Arid Mesa
4 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls
2 Mutavault
2 Mountain
6 Island

Creatures (13)
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Snapcaster Mage
1 Grim Lavamancer

Artifacts (2)
2 Runechanter's Pike

Spells (26)
4 Serum Visions
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Pillar of Flame
4 Remand
3 Vapor Snag
2 Spell Pierce
2 Spell Snare

Sideboard (15)
2 Threads of Disloyalty
3 Combust
2 Forked Bolt
2 Magma Spray
2 Shattering Blow
1 Vapor Snag
3 Hibernation
[/deck]

Thoughts:

- Do I really need two Magma Spray in the SB with 3 Pillar of Flame in the maindeck? One more Forked Bolt and something else instead? Or more Spell Pierces?
-
Should I try to get some Mana Leaks in there somehow?
- Two Mutavaults might be too much?
magma spray is a pillar of flame at instant speed. I know that's extremely obvious, but think about the implications - basically, if you wanted Pillar's effect but didn't care about Voice's "during your turn" clause, Magma Spray is better. So I think it's meta dependent, but it's great against cards like Kitchen Finks and Knight of the Reliquary in response to a fetchland activation.

I put 2 Counterflux in my SB instead of Mana Leaks. My reason is that they're a trump card against another counterspell deck - much more so than Leak is. It's also randomly better against decks like Tron because they have all the mana in the world. However, I think Leak may be slightly favored against Twin since you need to react quickly. They also play counterspells though, so that's up in the air.

Not sure about
Mutavault. That leaves you with 17 colored sources. Have you run that through Ham's hypergeometric distribution formula?

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:15 pm

We have some Pod players locally so the instant speed Magma Spray is relevant. But still...maybe drop one Pillar maindeck and move the fourth Vapor Snag back to the maindeck.

Forgot about Counterflux...I'm getting them in the mail next week, so of course I forgot about them (yet I remembered the Sulfur Falls from the same order...). I'd rather have some of those in the SB instead of Mana Leak.

I haven't checked the mana base against Ham's tables yet. But since I've added a Sulfur Falls, I think two Mutavaults are to much. The lists I'm seen seem to be 18 lands with no Mutavaults, or 20 lands with 2 Mutavaults. So 19 with 2 Mutavault is probably wrong.

So, maybe:

-: 1x Mutavault, 1x Pillar of Flame
+: 1x Island, 1x Vapor Snag

SIdeboard:
[deck]
SB
2 Threads of Disloyalty
3 Combust
2 Forked Bolt
2 Magma Spray
2 Shattering Blow
1 Counterflux
3 Hibernation
[/deck]
Sig by NBW

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:37 pm

If you can get them, I think Hurkyl's Recall is almost a must-have for the sideboard. Affinity can blow you out of the water without it.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:43 pm

Yeah, I have them, problem is I don't know what is most relevant against our meta. Can't fit everything in the sideboard. But I could drop the Shattering Blows for some Hurkyl's Recalls.
Last edited by Platypus on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sig by NBW

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:50 pm

I don't own Threads of Disloyalty, so they're in that slot for me. That said, I'm not a big fan of Threads. What's the primary target? 'Goyf, right? Well, you're also boarding in Hibernation in that matchup. That's a big nonbo right there. A lot of 'Goyf lists will also play cards like Abrupt Decay.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:56 pm

Tarmogoyf is the main target, yes. As for decks running Tarmos...Jund have 1-3 Abrupt Decay and 1-2 Maelstrom Pulse and they probably don't side those out after game 1, so Threads are a bit risky there. RUG (one of the top 16 at GP Prague) have to counter Threads. Zoo decks have to have anti-enchantment cards in their sideboard, and many of them won't have them or won't side them in. So a resolved Threads could be problematic for them.

But you're right about Threads not working with Hibernation. So I might need to drop one or the other, Threads is probably the one to go. The two Threads was in my sideboard before I got more Hibernations and was just left there, partly because I wanted to try them. But I think Hibernations are the better choice for my meta anyway.

So:

[deck]
SB
2 Hurkyl's Recall
3 Combust
2 Forked Bolt
2 Magma Spray
2 Shattering Blow
1 Counterflux
3 Hibernation
[/deck]

I'm a bit
unsure if I need three Combusts, might drop one for a second Counterflux.
Sig by NBW

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:06 pm

I've been seeing a lot of Zoo lists with main deck Qasali Pridemage.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:13 pm

Right, keep forgetting about that one. My zoo deck is/was mostly Gruul stuff, so I tend to think about them mostly as GR-based. Naya colored will probably be more common now with Wild Nacatl, and Qasali Pridemage fits right into that. So that settles it then, Threads are out.
Sig by NBW

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:09 am

Ok, so Modern FNM today, with this decklist:

[deck]Lands (19)
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Arid Mesa
4 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls
1 Mutavault
2 Mountain
7 Island

Creatures (13)
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Snapcaster Mage
1 Grim Lavamancer

Artifacts (2)
2 Runechanter's Pike

Spells (26)
4 Serum Visions
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Pillar of Flame
4 Remand
4 Vapor Snag
2 Spell Pierce
2 Spell Snare

Sideboard (15)
2 Hurkyl's Recall
2 Combust
2 Forked Bolt
2 Magma Spray
2 Blood Moon
2 Counterflux
3 Hibernation
[/deck]

I'll probably write down some thoughts afterwards.

And Modern Pro Tour this weekend...I'm keeping my eye on it, both for the new metagame and to see how any UR Delver decks manage in it. I have my doubts about it against the (probable) horde of Zoo decks.
Sig by NBW

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:05 pm

yeah i've been having a hard time against Zoo too. We can have a nuts hand and tempo them to a place where we're ahead on board and control it from there, but in my experience so far that's the minority. Most often if you don't have a bolt in your opening 8 (hand plus first draw) you're not playing a very long game.

Not sure how much everybody knows about this, but be careful with 'Goyf. A Zoo 'Goyf can easily start as a 1/2 or a 2/3, unlike the Jund 'Goyf that usually starts as a 4/5 because of first turn discard. But if there are no instants in the GY and the 'Goyf is a 2/3, your lightning bolt would hit the graveyard before state based are checked, making 'Goyf a 3/4 before he gets the 3 damage marked on him. (I may not have described that in technically correct terms, but I believe I have the correct end result.)

Conversely, Snapcaster can play some tricks with him. I had a game where I T2 Pillar'd a
Noble Hierarch (against tribal flames zoo) and then T3 I Snapcaster'd flashing back Pillar on a 2/3 'Goyf. Pillar left the GY, 'Goyf went down t a 1/2 with 2 damage marked on him.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:52 pm

Good point about Tarmogoyf. I recently checked the rules myself for that situation, since I faced it in my first game with the deck. I then assumed that was how it goes, but I wasn't sure.

As for tonight, I ended up 1-3. Part of it can be explained away with some misplays (the deck is hard to play), but at the same time I have the feeling that it might not be able to go all the way.

My games tonight:

Round 1: BW, Homebrewed pile of stuff, not tokens.

Lost the first game, because I had no clue I was up against. Did some misplays (forgot to bounce my YP in responce to Agent of the Fates trigger). The second game was a pure beauty in controlled play, early Delver with counter backup, while he was a bit mana screwed. Third game he had to mulligan to five, and the game was very uneventful. 2-1, but the deck wasn't anything that we can draw any general metagame conclusions from.

Round 2: Affinity.

Game one was
a loss, in goes Hurkyl's Recall, Magma Spray, and Blood Moon. Second game was won because of Hurkyl's Recall. Dropped the Blood Moons game three (was maybe a mistake), and we grinded a bit, but in the end there's not much to do against a Cranial Plated Etched Champion. 1-2.

Round 3: UWR, pretty standard list.

Lost both games. Had some mulligan issues. Got him down to 9 the second game, but then Geist of Saint Traft started pounding with me having nothing to block with. Made perhaps a mistake by not siding in Blood Moon in this match, since the deck is pretty non-basic heavy.

Round 4: Mono-Black discard deck, homebrew.

Another homebrew, this one better than the first one. Very heavy on discard, with Liliana's Specters, Racks, and Shrieking Afflictions as finishers. I knew it was mono-black, but I didn't know that it was that heavy with discard. So the first game went to him. Second game I was in control, but in the third I had to mulligan down to five (and a bad five as well). So 1-2 in this
one.

I don't know what to do here, really. When the deck works, it works really well. When it can't get a good start, it feels like a real struggle. Or perhaps it's my inexperience with it? I'm not giving up on the deck yet, but I'm thinking of going with Rb burn for the upcoming GP Trial and that big Modern tournament. Anyway, here's some stuff I will think about changing:

- Drop the Pikes. I like the idea of them, but they did nothing today. When the deck works (early Delver/YP with backup) they aren't needed, and when it struggles you don't want them (mostly because you don't have any creatures to equip). I'd like to try some of the Mirrodin swords in the sideboard, but I don't own any.
- Go up to 20 lands. Didn't have much trouble with lands today, but I'd like to run something like Shatterstorm or similar in the sideboard.
- Add more counterspells maindeck, probably two Mana Leaks instead of the Pikes. Maybe some more to the sideboards as well, hard counters like Counterflux or
Negate.
- Maybe more Lavamancers instead of the Pikes.
- The sideboard feels too diverse right now, trying to have answers to everything. But then there's not enough relevant spells to side in either. So focus on something and have 3-4 spells in that category, not just 2 like now. The Forked Bolt feels droppable right now, and the third Hibernation.

General stuff about the deck we should perhaps try to figure out:

- Worst matchups, in order to maybe gear the sideboard toward those. I think you usually want to side in only a few cards, so those 3-4 cards should be really relevant.
- Is there a transformable sideboard we could try? Splinter Twin is close spellwise, maybe we could have a Splinter Twin package?
Last edited by Platypus on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sig by NBW

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:17 pm

Maybe the deck should be moved to the Developing section as well? I'm not sure it can be called competitive right now, despite the top 4 finish at GP Prague. There seems to be none (or very few) playing this or a variant at PT Born of the Gods.
Sig by NBW

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:19 pm

The deck was represented at PT Born of the Gods. Quentin Martin went 6-4 in the Modern part of the tournament with this variant:

[deck]
Land
7 Island
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Misty Rainforest
3 Steam Vents
1 Mountain

Creatures
2 Thundermaw Hellkite
2 Vendilion Clique
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Delver of Secrets

Spells
4 Serum Visions
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Spell Snare
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Electrolyze
2 Remand
2 Mana Leak
1 Burst Lightning

Sideboard
3 Deprive
2 Batterskull
2 Threads of Disloyalty
2 Magma Spray
2 Blood Moon
1 Combust
1 Izzet Staticaster
1 Shatterstorm
1 Damping Matrix
[/deck]

Some interesting choices here, and some odd ones:

Thundermaw Hellkites maindeck give some late game reach and a fast clock, the same can be said about the Batterskulls in the sideboard. I've been thinking about something similar myself, since I noticed a few Hellkites in the sideboard of some
MTGO variants.

Sleight of Hand instead of Gitaxian Probe. I've thought about dropping the Probes myself, but would have put more relevant spells in their place. Sleight of Hand does allow you to dig one card further, but might force you discard a good card. What I'm wondering right now is can the deck function well with only Serum Visions?

Deprives in the sideboard, why? Surely Counterflux is better? Ok, so it's a hard counter one turn earlier, but it will set you back a turn. Is that really worth it?

-----

I might as well drop my latest build here, based on my earlier thoughts and some thoughts I had while watching the Pro Tour.

[deck]
Lands (20)
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Arid Mesa
4 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls
2 Tectonic Edge
2 Mountain
7 Island

Creatures (14)
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Snapcaster Mage
2 Grim Lavamancer

Spells (26)
4 Serum Visions
2 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Pillar of Flame
4 Remand
3 Mana Leak
3 Vapor Snag
2 Spell Pierce
2 Spell
Snare

Sideboard (15)
2 Shatterstorm
2 Combust
1 Vandalblast
2 Magma Spray
3 Blood Moon
2 Counterflux
2 Negate
1 Vapor Snag
[/deck]

First, upping the land count to 20, dropping the Mutavault and adding Tectonic Edges. The idea here is to have a maindeck way to take care of opposing man-lands and other dangerous lands (Gavony Township) and perhaps to sometimes deny some mana and give the Mana Leaks and Spell Pierces a bit more time. 20 lands also allows for some more expensive sideboard cards, like Shatterstorm. Hurkyl's Recall was nice, but Shatterstorm is more final. One more Grim Lavamancer as it's a good late game card. They could be Vendilion Cliques as well, but I don't have any. I wanted some more counterspells maindeck so I dropped two Probes, the Pikes, and a Vapor Snag to make room for some Mana Leaks. Sideboard tries to be a bit more general than the one I had before. Hibernation is a blowout against green based decks, but we seem to have such a varied and unpredictable metagame
that I can't afford to have such specialized cards in the sideboard. If I had some Electrolyzes I try to fit them in somewhere in the 75. I really need to get some of those.

Then something about gameplay. I think I've been playing the deck too much like an aggro deck, getting an early Delver out, or an YP. But I think I've been rushing them out too fast, it's better to keep then in hand and play them when they can be protected. Also, what starting hands are keepable? Do we need a threat in our opening hand?
Last edited by Platypus on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sig by NBW

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:48 pm

I wish I could buy my Delver deck on MTGO and give a video primer because it's quite difficult to explain how to pilot the deck since it has so many different lines. What I can say is that Gitaxian Probe is very good, and you should only run out Pyromancer on turn two when you are confident you will untap with him. A lot of people like to save their Probe to cast following a turn two Pyromancer and they could not be more wrong. Turn three Pyromancer with Vapor Snag in hand is ideal when you are certain your opponent has removal.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:59 pm

I wish I could practice some more with the deck outside of the tournaments, but I have limited opportunities. The deck is hard to master that's for sure.

I might go with 3 Probes and 2 Mana Leaks instead of a 2/3 split.
Last edited by Platypus on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sig by NBW

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:20 am

I just gotta say that this deck is one of the sexiest things I have ever seen

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

Return to “Aggro”