Cute and Cuddly Tajic

Decklists intended for multiplayer games can be posted here

Moderator: Manasjap

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Cute and Cuddly Tajic

Postby Dechs Kaison » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:12 am

Red and white. Those two colors mix to get pink. Pink is a cute color.

And Tajic. He's a human. Humans, with respect to other races in Ravnica, are quite cuddly.

So, this deck is all about being cute and cuddly. With nukes.

This is my really rough take on Tajic. Basically I try to leverage indestructible creatures with BLOW IT THE FUCK UP. I want to be attacking with a 7/7 Tajic into an empty board. I have Wraths aplenty and 'Geddon effects to seal the win once I'm ahead, and token generating enchantments that survive Obliterate. Also, Worldslayer. I didn't include a tutor package for equipment; that made games too linear and all about getting the Worldslayer. Wasn't fun.

I also threw in the typical R/W stuff to combat the typical decks that would give me trouble. Wheels to draw cards. Aven Mindcensor and Stranglehold for the tutor or ramp dudes. Swords and Path for the combo with creature
dudes. Most of the rest is ramprocks or rampdudes.

This list definitely needs tightened up, but I think I'm off to the right start.

[deck]MASTER CUDDLES
4 Tajic, Blade of the Legion

TOYS (22)
0 Mox Opal
1 Meekstone
1 Sol Ring
2 Boros Signet
2 Coldsteel Heart
2 Fire Diamond
2 Lightning Greaves
2 Marble Diamond
2 Mind Stone
2 Sphere of the Suns
2 Swiftfoot Boots
2 Torpor Orb
2 Winter Orb
3 Boros Keyrune
3 Chromatic Lantern
3 Coalition Relic
3 Crucible of Worlds
3 Darksteel Ingot
3 Oblivion Stone
4 Thran Dynamo
5 Gilded Lotus
5 Worldslayer

STUFFED BEARS (14)
1 Goblin Welder
3 Aven Mindcensor
3 Darksteel Myr
4 Anger
4 Heliod, God of the Sun
4 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Solemn Simulacrum
5 Angelic Overseer
5 Keldon Firebombers
5 Urabrask the Hidden
6 Darksteel Sentinel
6 Desolation Giant
6 Sun Titan
8 Avacyn, Angel of Hope

DOLLHOUSES (6)
1 Land Tax
2 Legion's Initiative
2 Militia's Pride
3 Goblin Assault
4 Stranglehold
5 Assemble the Legion

BIG
HUGS (16)
1 Faithless Looting
3 Wheel of Fortune
4 Armageddon
4 Day of Judgment
4 Ruination
4 Wrath of God
5 Reforge the Soul
6 Catastrophe
6 Jokulhaups
6 Kirtar's Wrath
6 Planar Cleansing
6 Wildfire
7 Decree of Annihilation
7 Devastation
8 Obliterate
9 Blasphemous Act

FAST HUGS (5)
1 Path to Exile
1 Swords to Plowshares
2 Boros Charm
2 Wear // Tear
3 Chaos Warp

FUCKING ELSPETH
4 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

PLAYGROUND (35)
0 Darksteel Citadel
0 Ancient Den
0 Great Furnace
0 Arid Mesa
0 Sacred Foundry
0 Plateau
0 Strip Mine
0 Wasteland
0 Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
0 Homeward Path
0 Rugged Prairie
12 Plains
12 Mountain[/deck]
Last edited by Dechs Kaison on Mon May 05, 2014 2:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Fuck you and the green you ramped in on. - My EDH battle cry. If I had one.

DocLawless
Tire Aficionado

Postby DocLawless » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:46 am

This deck is rude. I like it. Especially the part where all your sweepers are basically one sided. I think I just found my next EDH idea...

Elspeth: Knight-Errant over Sun's Champion? I'm new to EDH and I've only ever played Sun's Champion, but I've seen a few white lists running Knight-Errant instead of her Theros counterpart. So what is the logic there? Is it the evasion her second +1 ability gives that makes Knight-Errant preferable?

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:58 am

To tell you the truth, I hadn't even checked what Sun's Champion does until today. I like that she's a tokensplosion, but don't like that she costs 6. The wrath feels a little too conditional, to be honest. Mine are already one sided and I'm not trying to play around Meekstone or similar effects. The ultimate would be really neat if I could manage to keep the tokens flowing, but that's not how I usually win. I usually have just enough tokens to enable the battalion, maybe with a chump blocker or two. I think if she didn't cost 6, I'd have to find a slot for her.

Knight-Errant is cheap, and all three of her modes help my main win condition, which is smacking people with Tajic. Whether that's by enabling battalion or giving him the evasion. You'd be surprised how many games giving Tajic flying was all it took.

DocLawless
Tire Aficionado

Postby DocLawless » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:16 am

Fair points. I hadn't thought of CMC being a consideration. My EDH group is so slow that high CMC cards are just the norm. And I run Sun's Champion in Teysa, Orzhov Scion were I do want tokensplosions.

What about Elesh Norn? (7 cmc is a bit steep, though, maybe even for what she does.) Jihad? Urabrask the Hidden? Rugged Prairie for your filter land? (Just shotgunning goodstuff ideas.)

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:31 am

Fair points. I hadn't thought of CMC being a consideration. My EDH group is so slow that high CMC cards are just the norm. And I run Sun's Champion in Teysa, Orzhov Scion were I do want tokensplosions.

What about Elesh Norn? (7 cmc is a bit steep, though, maybe even for what she does.) Jihad? Urabrask the Hidden? Rugged Prairie for your filter land? (Just shotgunning goodstuff ideas.)
I have two really good reasons to want to keep my curve low.* Land destruction is both of them. That said, Elesh is right out. I'd be playing her for the -2/-2 half, and I don't think that's worth 7 mana. Jihad
looks kinda cute, but again, I don't think I need the broad pump enough. Also, it's likely I'd be the one destroying the stuff that they have in the color I call. Urabrask is pretty good, even at 5 mana. The CIPT will help Tajic get through and haste makes him dangerous from the command zone. Rugged Prairie is a no-brainer.

*Yeah, I'm pretty sure my curve is still too high. It's one of the things I'm trying to figure out how to correct. It's also not easy to calculate (B-Act is never a 9 mana spell, Desolation Giant is really 6 mana). One problem is that there are a lot of 4 cost spells that compete with Tajic. I'm starting to think a lot of the six cost and greater creatures have to go. Avacyn and Gisela are extremely powerful so they might stay, but things like the Darksteel Sentinel or Aegis Angel might not be doing enough.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Just ignore Blasphemous Act when thinking of your curve. Actually ignore it. Realize that you won't play it before turn 5, but that it's always good after that.
Sig by NBW.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:34 pm

I'd run more non-creature mana rocks over the Myr. It's not like you really need them for attacking and you probably won't get the chance when everything in the deck kills them anyway.

Are there specific reasons why Oblivion Stone, Decree of Annihilation, and Destructive Force didn't make the cut? I'm guessing mana for the latter two, but I don't see a lot of reason to not play O Stone. (Btw, I'm including Decree for the Instant Armageddon + Card mode... you probably don't want to be Exiling all your Indestructables)

Also, Sunforger would give you a lot of nice toolbox options.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:36 am

Are there any more good non-creature rocks in my colors? I suppose Fellwar Stone and Star Compass are options. Coldsteel Heart maybe.

O-Stone was in here originally. I took it out with some other things that destroyed enchantments when I was trying to run enchantment heavy. Now I've scaled the enchantments back I think it makes more sense to put it back in. Honestly, Decree of Annihilation might make it in, too. Instant speed Armageddon that draws a card is worth three more mana.

Sunforger always seemed like too much of a risk to me. It's a lot of mana invested before you get the tutor effect. I wouldn't be using it to cheat 4 mana spells, more likely to grab Swords.

So here's some ideas I had recently: Uba Mask, Meekstone, Winter Orb. Uba doesn't really hurt me because if it's in my hand, I usually want to play it. It
fucks with everyone who loves to draw cards, but that one guy with Necropotence will love me. Meekstone is a little risky. I have a few creatures with over 3 power, but most aren't (and hell, I've been thinking about cutting some of those big ones anyway). Tajic isn't a 7/7 when he untaps, Avacyn has vigilance, and Gisela does her work either way. I consider Winter Orb any time I build a deck with this many mana rocks.

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:21 am

Alright, so I've made some huge changes to this deck. Mana Mry are gone. A bunch of creatures, even Gisela, had to be cut.

Right now, half of the fucking deck produces mana. More than half of what's left is just there to fuck with everyone else's ability to do anything. Red/White may not have all the tools of the other colors, but damned if I can't take your tools away from you. And your lands. And your creatures. And your lands again.

After a couple quick tests, I'm much happier with it this way. What you guys think? Is it cute and cuddly enough now?

DocLawless
Tire Aficionado

Postby DocLawless » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:57 am

I'm still unfamiliar with land to non-land ratios in EDH decks. How many lands would you consider to be average? If half the deck generates mana, can you run fewer than 35?

That question is mostly for my own benefit.

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:04 am

You want to check out Ham's thread. All the math applies here, you just have to adjust the size of the deck.

Basically, with 35 lands, I have a 59% chance to make my fourth land drop on turn four. That means two in every five games I will miss my fourth land drop. That's already kind of scary with a curve of ~3.75, I can't imagine making it worse.

Now, that is mitigated by the partial paris mulligan and the 14 mana rocks (really I should say there's only 12, because two of them are 4 and 5 CMC). With 12 rocks, I have a 74% chance of seeing one by turn three, 35% of seeing two by then. But I still need to draw the lands to cast them.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:19 pm

As long as you throw away any 1 land hands you'll be fine - that's a pretty conservative curve.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:58 am

So, there were some obvious upgrades to be made with the Mana Rocks.

Sphere of the Suns and Chromatic Lantern in for the Ramos artifacts.

I also sorted everything by CMC-ish. I'm listing Desolation Giant as 6 and Decree of Annihilation as 7.

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:23 pm

I'm taking Master Warcraft out because RTFC. It only lets you choose what attacks, not who those attackers hit. I'm putting Wear // Tear in that spot because versatile answers. I also have a Korean one already, so why the hell not?

Return to “Multiplayer Commander Decklists”