God Battles!

All casual decks discussion goes here

Moderator: ( G_R )

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

God Battles!

Postby Checkbox » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:46 am

I've recently collected a large amount of Theros block and Core Set cards, as a means to be able to play casually with my girlfriend and roommates, both of which I've recently introduced to the game. Partially because of this and partially because I am a sucker for stupid casual formats, I came up with what I call "God Battles". This started as an idea for an EDH-style cube where the Gods were the Commanders, but my playgroup rejected that idea sayng that it seemed to "limiting" when drafting only a color or particular set of colors pre-determined by the Gods you chose.

So God Battles is a 60-card twist on EDH; There are 15 decks (one for each God), and each God starts the game in the Command Zone and follows the summoning rules that EDH Commanders do (Can play from the Command Zone, costs 2 colorless more for each time you've already cast it). I'm not sure I want a "General Damage" rule yet.

The main rule I entered deckbuilding with was "Flavor over Function". After giving these initial lists a test run a month or so ago, I quickly realized that some gods are better than others (I'm looking at you, Thassa), and some of the lists need serious work to be competitive with the others. This is where you all come in. Ideally, I want at least one copy of each card in Theros block that references that God to be in that God's deck. If I have to break this rule somewhere for the sake of balance, then I will. Some other guidelines I took for deckbuilding was that I want all rarities to be represented (1 mythic rare, 8 rares, both Uncommons and Commons with what remains), and I'm restricting the card pool to Theros Block and Core Sets M10-M15.

Anyways, here are 10/15 of the lists (will post the rest tomorrow)

[deck]Heliod, God of the Sun[/deck]
[deck]Thassa, God of the Sea[/deck]

[deck]Erebos, God of the Dead[/deck]

[deck]Purphoros, God of the Forge[/deck]

[deck]Nylea, God of the Hunt[/deck]

[deck]Ephara, God of the Polis[/deck]

[deck]Phenax, God of Deception[/deck]

[deck]Mogis, God of Slaughter[/deck]

[deck]Xenagos, God of Revels[/deck]

[deck]Karametra, God of Harvests[/deck]
whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
it's not cheating if you hand her the jizz afterwards
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

( G_R )
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby ( G_R ) » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:55 pm

This looks fun. Usually this type of format makes for longer games and some surprise fun interactions.

My advice would be to tweak them as you play with them to balance them out. I used to have a blue deck that ended up being the least liked in my playgroup, not for being overpowered but because it lost every single time.
That explains why people keep coming over for chicken nuggets

Return to “Gaea's Cradle (Casual)”