Cube Noob Q&A

Your Cube subforum

Moderator: Checkbox

poggydude
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby poggydude » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:52 pm

how is singleton not arbitrary...

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:44 am

Singleton is generally accepted as the norm, an "axiom" if you will.

Consider any branch of mathematics; if you keep asking "why" far back enough, you will approach the axioms that we all just take for granted; the fundamental assumptions that allow us to do anything and everything we do with mathematics (if you don't know set theory, this might be a bit beyond you, idk). Without those assumptions, mathematics is nothing.

Singleton is an assumption/axiom of cubing as long as I've ever heard about it. It seems a much easier and more interesting rule to follow than to start making multiples; I accept it as a given (and therefore, not arbitrary) because that is how 99.999999% of cubes I've ever seen or heard of are run. There are probably more reasons for going singleton that I don't have the time or patience to go into or figure out, but there's that.

At the most basic level, saying "I want
more ramp" and turning to a card already in your cube seems extremely lazy to me; I think it is flat out lazy cube design to have to use the same card multiple times, rather than finding the right card to balance your green spell section the way you want, or whatever. You can whine and say "but none exist that are as good as ramp spell X, so I just wanna use two", and I'd say "just stop being lazy and use a different ramp spell; the game has over 17k cards (approx), surely you can find one that suits your needs that you aren't using". I suppose this goes back to the variance argument a bit, but that's just how I feel, the principles I use to build my own cubes.

And yes, a large part of it is the question of: if two rampant growths are ok, why not 3? Why not use two lightning bolts and two savannah lions and etc etc etc. That pandora's box of subtle probability nuances is not something I'm interested in opening; and that's ok, because by sticking to the singleton rule, I don'
t have to.
whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
it's not cheating if you hand her the jizz afterwards
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

poggydude

Postby poggydude » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:52 am

saying cubing is best is singleton is on the same level as two points form a straight line is a bit ridiculous.

poggydude

Postby poggydude » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:55 am

also axioms build a system, they dont, however, define every system ever. Yu can have more than one axiomatic system

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:39 pm

also axioms build a system, they dont, however, define every system ever. Yu can have more than one axiomatic system
This is true. You've only addressed one of my illustrative points, however.
whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
it's not cheating if you hand her the jizz afterwards
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

Return to “Maze of Ith (Cube)”