[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:25 pm

Anyone have articles / strategies for not tilting? I'm trying to better myself and looking for places to start.
Have you ever played a competitive sport? By chance, were you a QB in football or pitcher in baseball? If yes to either, you QUICKLY learn to have a short-term memory during the game but learn from your mistakes after. Otherwise nobody would last after the first interception or home run. Just know there's nothing you can do right now, put it behind you, tell yourself you'll deal with it later, and focus on the present.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:25 pm

happy birthday Ham.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:45 pm

New article. Thanks for the help on the deck Redthirst.

http://www.mtgcanada.com/commander/prim ... ny-leader/
Enjoyed the article. Glad I could contribute a bit.

Happy B-day Ham!
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:50 pm

Anyone have articles / strategies for not tilting? I'm trying to better myself and looking for places to start.
Have you ever played a competitive sport? By chance, were you a QB in football or pitcher in baseball? If yes to either, you QUICKLY learn to have a short-term memory during the game but learn from your mistakes after. Otherwise nobody would last after the first interception or home run. Just know there's nothing you can do right now, put it behind you, tell yourself you'll deal with it later, and focus on the present.
he's an FoS member so obv no sports for him and you're an FoS member so obv no sports for you
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:51 pm

Thanks dudes :love2:

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:53 pm

welcome

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:25 pm

he's an FoS member so obv no sports for him and you're an FoS member so obv no sports for you
it really is funny how this running joke devolved to the point where it doesn't even fit the stereotypical fos-er anymore, just your average lgs neckbeard
Sig by NBW.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:33 pm

it really is funny how this running joke devolved to the point where it doesn't even fit the stereotypical fos-er anymore, just your average lgs neckbeard
that's the funny thing about synonyms.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:33 pm

Now that Kait is a pillar of the FoS community he's having trouble seeing the forest for the trees.
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

I love the D...

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:34 pm

colosseum for the pillars

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:37 pm

I love the D...

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:11 pm

The Kaitsclaw! It decides who will go and who will stay!

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:43 pm

On an enforced forum, it's a group that gets a sub forum or thread where only they can post

Pedrobear

Postby Pedrobear » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:01 am

A friend told me that Tom the Robotgod Ross was playing a deck with Chromanticore at the GP. Do you have any decklist ? (Limited access to Internet there in Turkey)

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:25 am

Maverick:

This entire forum is founded by a bunch of dudes who had their secret subforum shut down and wanted a place to continue posting morse code messages.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:32 am

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:46 am

We'd have to actual care about DTR.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:47 am

That, and we actually have FOS shirts(a handful of us anyways).

Patrick chapin

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:48 am

We'd have to actual care about DTR.
you spend way too much time here to pretend that you don't
Sig by NBW.

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:49 am

did wraith show up here just to say he has a girlfriend?

true FOSer right there.

True dat and more.......she is about to be Mrs. Wraith223 in about a month. No joke.

Dated a lot gals over the years and I found her. She does not mind mtg either. :dance:

One aspect of the academy that I am addicted to is the reality based training using simunition. They don't hurt to bad, and you shoot real guns at each other. :yes:
Great for training and teaching you lessons you won't forget. Also, kills that fear of being hit when starring down barrel of real gun. Air soft just does not compare. Although 12 gauge and 223 hurt as we usually use 9mm. You also get to see how folks really do in a firefight. Very expensive for the department but saves lives with the training.

Would like to play more, but I only have a few weeks left in the academy till I am on patrol.
Author of Gunning for Tactical/Practical - http://diestoremoval.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2103
Current Decks
Commander- Kaalia (Dega) and Nekusar (Grixis)
Modern- UB Faeries and Splinter Twin
Standard- Mono-black Devotion
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:57 am

Dunno what else we can do. I post Magic content in the Magic area (like many members here who regularly discuss Standard), I moderate the almost-dead Rulings subforum, and I have a DTR playmat background when I stream MTGO.

If you're just annoyed that we blather here instead of the blather thread, that's OK. We like to blather here. You find value enough to keep posting here, and we have good enough senses of humor to laugh off the constant FoS neckbeard jokes.

You'll find a hidden subforum for the Gutter crew with nearly 48,000 posts, and we don't get on their case for not "doing more".

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:37 am

Dunno what else we can do. I post Magic content in the Magic area (like many members here who regularly discuss Standard), I moderate the almost-dead Rulings subforum, and I have a DTR playmat background when I stream MTGO.

If you're just annoyed that we blather here instead of the blather thread, that's OK. We like to blather here. You find value enough to keep posting here, and we have good enough senses of humor to laugh off the constant FoS neckbeard jokes.

You'll find a hidden subforum for the Gutter crew with nearly 48,000 posts, and we don't get on their case for not "doing more".
The first rule of the Gutter crew is we don't talk about the hidden subforums.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:41 am

For the record, I do care about DtR as a whole. And I also care about the what's left of the FoS. I just don't know what more i can do to promote this site aside from what sporadic posting I do here and there. I can't seem to find time to write anything worthwhile that will pass as an article.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:44 am

I couldn't tell you at this point, Maverick.

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:45 am

:shrug:
SM, you complete me. :love:

Jamie
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jamie » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:21 am

It makes sense if a group of people who are used to have a thread separate from the rest of the website continuing to have a separate thread. I was a new person and I identified what FoS was... the only active thread that wasn't the boros burn thread.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:59 am

I just don't understand the sub community in a sub community in a sub community thing. What is Fires of Salvation at this point? Why is it?
We hit the "too big to stop" point a while ago, so when the clan essentially died, nobody really acknowledged it
Sig by NBW.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:10 am

I used to play soccer, volleyball, did karate, raced cars.

I found that team sports weren't really my forte. I prefer to focus on single player things, or small teams. I never really fit in with sports types, as I wasn't naturally gifted in those areas.

I found that with racing and karate, I was naturally gifted and it was easy for me to concentrate and find "the zone".

Magic doesn't come as naturally to me. I've had to work hard and long and struggle to get better. I know I've plateaued for now and I'm not willing to make the commitment necessary to reach the next level. I find the zone sometimes and that's when I'm at my best.

However, I seem to go through hot streaks and slumps. I'll have periods of time where I just win everything, and other times where I can't win to save my life. These streaks last 1-3 months typically. I am in a slump right now and that's when tilt tends to happen for me. I feel like the streak is starting to end and I'm starting to win some, but I still have games where I draw no lands, mull to four etc. in matches that matter to me (win & ins, prize or no prize situations, league tournaments) that set me off.

The fact that I won the first league tournament undefeated and haven't won a single match in the last two league tournaments particularly pisses me off. I need to start winning or I'll miss the championships. I have been losing due to variance. I'm writing down my play mistakes so I learn from them, but there's just a lot of situations where it's out of my hands. It's wearing me down but I can't stop grinding at this point, due to championship race. I've been tilting hard and acting dishonourably. My friend pointed it out and called me on my shit and that's why I want to change.

This isn't about changing my luck. It's about finding strategies for coping with bad luck, accepting it and moving on. I don't know how to play tight and not be emotionally invested / angry when I just lose to bad luck. I'm looking for advice on that. I remember Zem telling me "glory is fleeting, focus on improving over time" and I've tried to take that to heart. However, I feel I have plateaued and my bad luck / inability to accept it and not tilt are holding me back.

Wut do?

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:28 am

LD, sometimes you just need a break or a way to shake things up, like playing Magic outside of your comfort zone. What I mean by this is, for example, play around with strategies opposite from what you're used to. Scrumping with R/W? Mess around with somebody's Sidisi Whip deck and learn how it works. Been crunching a lot of Standard? Go play some Modern for awhile and take your mind off of things. It's all about changing your perspective.

When I'm in a rut, I try to find things that make me remember why I play in the first place. It's not just with Magic either. When I'm in a rut playing guitar, sometimes I'll just let a power chord ring out til I feel it something rumble in my guts. That's when I remember why I picked up the guitar in the first place - to make some fucking noise!

I guess it's like with anything that gets stale, be it a relationship, your job, or your hobbies. You have to find the spark that drove you and then rekindle the fire inside.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:36 am

Also, let go of your expectations. Failure to live up to your expectations ( such as winning a specific event, proving to everyone that you're good, making a specific deck work at a specific time, etc) will just result in negative feelings, which is usually anger or depression (or both). I don't go into any Magic tournament anymore expecting or hoping to do well. At least not at first. I just want to show up, see my friends, and play cards. That's it. I always tell people, "It's a fucking great day to sling some cardboard." It's not until I gain some momentum after winning a few rounds, I start to think, "Hey, I have a shot at this. I could win this thing!" At that point, I'll begin to play harder and more carefully, but I'm not expecting anything. Because at this point, win or lose, I know that I've had some fun.

Losing a win-and-in in this scenario can either be a soul-crushing moment wrought self-loathing and depression, or it's a moment to look back at the whole tournament and realize that I played my ass off (with a little time to reflect on some mistakes), had some fun, and hopefully have some cool stories to tell. I choose to do the latter.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:39 am

And then there's also times where you pay $50 to play in a big tournament and scrump out X-3 drop.

It has literally happened to every competitive Magic player. It happens. At that point, just go play in a side event. It beats playing for nothing. ;)

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:45 am

My friend Mark managed to 9-0 day one of Vancouver despite the mighty power of the Cheon-Maggedon: http://gfycat.com/SpecificHonoredBlueshark

Patrick chapin

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:04 am

:lol:

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:52 am

It looks like I may FINALLY get to play Legacy for the first time ever this Friday. That is, unless our commitments scrub out.

And no, I'm not playing burn.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Jamie
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jamie » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:55 am

There's definitely a balance between tying your self-worth to performance and 'having a good time with friends'. I assume you, LD, didn't get into competitive cardplaying to live the balanced lifestyle and I think the "let go of expectations" advice isn't possible, even if you find it is good advice. Of course for that reason you'll feel intense burning hatred toward yourself for months at a time, but I don't think that makes you a worse player.
Anyway, I can't offer any helpful advice beyond what Khaos said because I don't have your problem. I'm never angry at the table or to my opponent. I am angry at myself on the car ride home and the 3 weeks following, but learning and improving genuinely washes away the negativity. If you can't improve because your attitude is that you've 'plateaued', then your other attitude regarding your selfworth should be changed instead. Because those are contradictory.

I guess here are some tips.
Catch yourself doing correct things.
Vary your practice (Khaos had good things to say here)
Taking a break helps for a lot of reasons. This might not be applicable in your situation.
After 8 hours per day of training, any more time will have the opposite effect on your performance.

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:12 am

It looks like I may FINALLY get to play Legacy for the first time ever this Friday. That is, unless our commitments scrub out.

And no, I'm not playing burn.
Zoo?

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:14 am

UR Delver.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:46 am

That's not too far from burn

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:14 am

Yeah but it has blue which gives you immunity to neckbeards.

nme

Postby nme » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:26 am

This isn't about changing my luck. It's about finding strategies for coping with bad luck, accepting it and moving on. I don't know how to play tight and not be emotionally invested / angry when I just lose to bad luck. I'm looking for advice on that. I remember Zem telling me "glory is fleeting, focus on improving over time" and I've tried to take that to heart. However, I feel I have plateaued and my bad luck / inability to accept it and not tilt are holding me back.
Taking a break after a rage inducing loss is one of the best things you can do. Go outside and get some fresh air and try to forget the last game. Don't talk to your friends about how shitty your luck is, because that will only make you tilt harder. You can't play your best if you're stressed out and angry, and you have to remind yourself that when you feel the tilt starting to creep in. You're going to end up on the wrong side of variance from time to time, and it happens to everyone. You have to come to terms with it or you'll never stop tilting.

Return to “Fires of Salvation”