[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby rcwraspy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:58 am

WoTC prints one little innocuous 1 drop and the FoS turn on each other.
Didn't mean to turn on you. That analogous comment I made sounds harsher than I meant it.

Plus I wouldn't dare turn on our resident viking.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:59 am

Don't want a helmet horn up my ass
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:03 am

:rofl:
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:06 am

We're good, bud.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Jamie
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jamie » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:23 am

Mommy dearest is ill and I came to freeload off her government money take care of the little bro and sis all the way here in nowheresville Iowa. The new population of Iowa is 6 (from 5).

Midnight_v

Postby Midnight_v » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:25 am

Hmm... I don't think its better than stonewright but it is something to be excited about. mana sinks are important for the deck type most of us seem to prefer.
Manasinks + red finisher guy seems to be a good deal.
"All your passive
aggressive bullshit doesn't make you smart, it makes you an asshole." - Lightning Dolt

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:27 am

It's better in some cases and worse in others. By itself, Stonewright was a 1/1 that needed a partner to do anything. In topdeck mode, Lightning Berserker is bonkers.

It's been a long time since red decks had such an efficient mana sink. I'm interested to see what else comes out of the set. Maybe Big Red can be a thing again.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Midnight_v

Postby Midnight_v » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:33 am

It's better in some cases and worse in others. By itself, Stonewright was a 1/1 that needed a partner to do anything. In topdeck mode, Lightning Berserker is bonkers.

It's been a long time since red decks had such an efficient mana sink. I'm interested to see what else comes out of the set. Maybe Big Red can be a thing again.
I feel like it closer now than before but R/w is pretty damned close and shares the same conceptual space... and is proven.
Id like to see this work I like 2 1/2 of the cards right now Berserker/Thunder regent and the haste spell (which is a different thing all together) but what I think would easy the decks existence quite a bit is a "skull crack" of some kind. No needed "perse" but would make things a LOT easier. So far so good.
"All your passive
aggressive bullshit doesn't make you smart, it makes you an asshole." - Lightning Dolt

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:35 am

I just love it as a mana sink that can survive Slagstorm/Anger of the Gods in my Koth deck.

Jamie
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jamie » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:42 am

Aren't cards like Generator Servant and Dragonlord's Servant played like green cards? Why do they keep appearing in red?

Midnight_v

Postby Midnight_v » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:54 am

Aren't cards like Generator Servant and Dragonlord's Servant played like green cards? Why do they keep appearing in red?
Because red is supposed to "share" mana acceleration with green since it isn't getting anymore land d or some such color pie bullshit. However, they saddle it with "bad" acceleration creatures because they don't want to obsolete green and any ritual they make contributes to the storm deck forever. Those 2 factors... most likely, and thus weird mostly unplayable mana-ish guys in red.

They might on some level also be serious about building some kind of red/dragon them block deck but it sure as hell will need better cards, so only the set will. Honestly, I'm dubious of that when the red raise the alarm didn't put 1/1 hatchling dragons into play.
"All your passive

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:08 am

I just love it as a mana sink that can survive Slagstorm/Anger of the Gods in my Koth deck.
Don't forget it's like a reusable Fireball.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:10 am

I haven't forgotten :evillol:

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:28 am

Going Ham. Damn, damn, DAMN!

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:46 am

That song is so catchy.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:51 am

I feel like it closer now than before but R/w is pretty damned close and shares the same conceptual space... and is proven.
Id like to see this work I like 2 1/2 of the cards right now Berserker/Thunder regent and the haste spell (which is a different thing all together) but what I think would easy the decks existence quite a bit is a "skull crack" of some kind. No needed "perse" but would make things a LOT easier. So far so good.
It has some similarities when looking at it within each deck's respective format, but in a vacuum the two decks differ greatly. Back in the days of INN/RTR Big Red we had mana sinks like Stonewright and Hellion Crucible to help fight flood. There are no such tools at the disposal of RW. Soulfire Grand Master requires at least 5 mana to be useful (and usually more), while Stonewright could do his business early and late while Hellion Crucible only required three mana total AND was a land itself.

If you asked me what I preferred in a red deck between the two, INN/RTR Big Red would be my answer, and it wouldn't be particularly close.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:58 am

Current standard RW is MUCH BETTER.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:28 am

He's right, y'know.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:28 am

He's so right you can taste it.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:11 am

How does it taste?

Patrick chapin

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:14 am

Of all the flavors, you had to choose salt.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:16 am

Look at the bacon!

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:18 am

You bite the fry, the fry bites back, my man. DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:18 am

Ghetto grocery bag.

Jamie
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jamie » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:28 am

Do you wanna know the difference between a weak scrumper and a scrumper that has strength?

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:31 am

You bite the scrump, the scrump x-2's?

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:58 am

video settings, resolution, ect
Bitrate = Variable
Resolution = 1280 x 720
Frame Rate = 30
Bitrate = 2500
Quality Balance = 10
Audio = ACC
Audio Bitrate = 128
Channels = Stereo

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:59 am

I can teach you a trick to use free Camtasia forever without having to resub free trials with new emails
Is it a good program? Is it what you used for your Modo stuff a while back?

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:02 am

Anyone with experience using FFSplit to record MODO for Youtube? I'm recording in 720P but my youtube videos are coming out shitty. I'm sure there is a setting I missed somewhere. A video for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpBcjPVabzc

Help?
Your video doesn't necessarily look shitty, but I think you have something odd going on with respect to native resolution / aspect ratios.

Step 1: Native Resolution

The first thing you need to determine is whether you want to record in 1080p or 720p, or something higher if you're a maniac. Check out this page for a visual of the various resolutions.

Streaming services like Twitch or broadcast services like YouTube usually have restrictions on the format of the video they will accept. I've only used Twitch, so check with YouTube specifically for resolution / frame rate restrictions.

In FFSplit, go to Options > Encoder tab.

The Video Resolution option sets the base resolution for your recording. I record in 1080p, so I set it to 1920x1080. I also set it to 30 frames / second, which is a standard capture rate for mild games. Twitch caps the video bitrate at 3500 kbps, so I set it there.

Step 2: Capture Window Resolution

Download the standalone program Sizer. Sizer allows you to create presets and resizes windows automatically to the specifies preset resolution and position on-screen. I have a preset called "MTGO - 1540x1040" that resizes a window to 1540x1040, then aligns it to the left edge of the screen.

All the hard work you've done will mean nothing if you're sloppy with your game capture. To capture MTGO using the v4 client, you need to set it to "Capture Window", select the MTGO main client, check the "Only Client Area" option, "Show Mouse Cursor", and "Capture as Region". These options allow the sub-windows that MTGO creates to be captured, along with the mouse cursor in-game.

In the FFSplit main window, click on the MTGO capture window and notice that the "Layer" frame has some settings. That Sizer preset we used now comes in handy here. Set the Width and Height to match the setting you set in Sizer for the MTGO window. The X/Y are the offsets from the top (0) and left (0) edge of the screen. If you want a full screen 1080p MTGO window, your settings would be X:0, Y:0, Width:1920, Height:1080.

In my case, I have a custom streaming background with some sub-windows, so I use X:20, Y:20, Width:1540, Height:1040.

It's important that your game capture window has the exact same resolution in FFSplit that your window does on your monitor. I expect that the blurring you're seeing on your stream is because of up-scaling or down-scaling. This occurs when you have a small window that you stretch to fit a higher resolution. It will blur the areas between the pixels. It's always better to record and stream at the resolution you intend to show for your viewers.

Step 3: Stream Dat Ass

Start your stream or start the recording, then stop after 30 seconds. Watch your playback at the intended resolution to verify that your stream looks sharp and is sized correctly.
Thanks very much Ham, will try. My monitor is only 720P, I assume setting it to 1080P is incorrect for me?

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:15 am

Remember when Hero's used to be good? Watching that shit right now, season 1.

Patrick chapin

RedNihilist
Tire Aficionado

Postby RedNihilist » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:02 pm

love ya Khaos, but I just don't see it. Wouldn't mind being wrong though - I like red, after all :)
*blushes*

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:48 pm

Lol

Midnight_v

Postby Midnight_v » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:48 pm

It has some similarities when looking at it within each deck's respective format, but in a vacuum the two decks differ greatly. Back in the days of INN/RTR Big Red we had mana sinks like Stonewright and Hellion Crucible to help fight flood. There are no such tools at the disposal of RW. Soulfire Grand Master requires at least 5 mana to be useful (and usually more), while Stonewright could do his business early and late while Hellion Crucible only required three mana total AND was a land itself.

If you asked me what I preferred in a red deck between the two, INN/RTR Big Red would be my answer, and it wouldn't be particularly close.
Thats cool. I talk alot about archetypes and the archetype we WANT to play overall is demigod red. So I'm not exactly stunned that you'd prefer the addtional mana sinks of stonewright and friend, not to mention the almighty "Thundermaw".

Once we start talking the same language about thinks we can more easily recognize how to build the deck each season, what the relative value of the cards are, and how good is it at any given time. 3 years is a long time to get it together, I think right now is a great time for "us" in general.

Also, they printed the "Skullkrack" effect I was asking for...
Atarkas Command
RG
Instant

Choose two —

• Your opponents can't gain life this turn.

• Atarka's Command deals 3 damage to each opponent.

• You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield.

• Creatures you control get +1/+1 and gain reach until end of turn.

EDIT:
1st. I'm glad to have something like this.
2nd. I hate that its in green instead of black, which might have netted something like Kill a guy + No lifegain i.e. "Fuck yo' rhino"
3. Land as an instant seems interesting, but no gamebreaking.
Lastly, the Pump ability... damn them, for not giving evasion, all in all it isn't a waste of a slot and that's what matters.
7/10
"All your passive

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:04 pm

It's not the Skullcrack effect, it's the Skullcrack on crack
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:10 pm

Playable card + options + in modern you're already splashing green so who cares

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:12 pm

Are we talking about applications in burn? Because there aren't any.
Sig by NBW.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:14 pm

Dromoka looks good. Definitely sees standard play, likely great in commander as well.
Sig by NBW.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:44 pm

That new green raptor is my favorite card ever. It's a fucking dinosaur that rises from the grave! Also confirmed: dinosaurs and dragons living together. Mass hysteria.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:46 pm

Also, the new Zurgo made me laugh.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

LD:

Yeah, if your monitor can only display native 720p, you shouldn't try any upscaling. Just broadcast at 720 and let the people with bigger monitors choose between 1:1 in a window and stretching to fullscreen.

Return to “Fires of Salvation”