[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Valdarith » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:23 am

Maybe it's because I've had to carry a bag of life-saving medication for my entire life, but I just can't imagine having my deck stolen in any way that doesn't involve physical robbery.
Some people (like me) are just a lot more paranoid about losing stuff than others so they're naturally more attentive.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:46 am

Maybe it's because I've had to carry a bag of life-saving medication for my entire life, but I just can't imagine having my deck stolen in any way that doesn't involve physical robbery.
I don't know because it wasn't actually stolen from me, my friend was borrowing it for the event and they stole it out of his backpack. Which was on his back at the time. So someone literally walked up behind him, unzipped his backpack, and grabbed the first thing they could reach, which was obviously the deck he was playing for the event. It wasn't really a robbery or anything, just someone taking advantage of someone with their guard down. I have a Gamecube bag that holds my Magic stuff, which basically consists of whatever deck I'm playing in an UltraPro tower, a brick of dice, granola bars and like a billion lens cleaning wipes. It sits on my hip so it's pretty hard to steal from.

It sucks but it isn't a huge deal. I was pretty peeved when I wrote that post but I'm over it now.
Last edited by Alex on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:49 am

The tournament was still sweet though, the guy who won it is on our team so we got to eat dinner on his dime.

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:39 am

Unless the GameCube bag contains an actual GameCube and a copy of smash bros Melee, I would have no problem going 100% full douchebag if I saw it

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:26 pm

Alex, why aren't we Facebook friends anymore?
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:43 pm

Watching coverage from last week makes me rage from how bad these red players are.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:58 pm

All red players are bad.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:59 pm

All Magic players are bad.
SM, you complete me. :love:

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:32 pm

All people are bad.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:47 pm

All jimmies are rustled

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:58 pm

As far as I know we are?

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:36 pm

As far as I know we are?
We aren't for some reason. I'll send a request.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:57 pm

Playing in GP Prague.

Torn between:

* Grixis Dragons (top 4 WMCQ with it last week, link: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNIqB4vUEAA18JR.png:large)
* Mardu Dragons (http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/st ... ons#online)
* BR Dragons (either http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/311553#online with Rabblemasters or http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/315681#online - without them)

Thoughts or suggestions?
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:52 pm

All Magic players are sad people
Originally posted by Galspanic on MTGS
I would still like to see the posts sent over to ( N_S ) and have the Salvation Gutter archived away and replaced with a link to MTGC.
Thank you for all the lies. Another fine display of integrity by iridium :thumbsup:

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:21 am

The one with blue in it.

Jamie
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jamie » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:57 am

In standard!? Stay clear of blue

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:27 am

Stay clear of standard, for that matter
Sig by NBW.

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:44 am

Stay clear of matter for that standard

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:52 am

Clear standard of matter for that stay
Sig by NBW.

RedNihilist
Tire Aficionado

Postby RedNihilist » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:26 am

Mardu Dragons is way better that BR for what I've seen.
No idea of Grixis, but that list doesn't really have any appeal to me.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:58 pm

This is gonna bit a bit long so I apologize in advance.
Speaking as someone who's friends have described me as "A furry who hates other furries." I admit I am a bit biased. (for reason I will explain below.)

I mean I can definitely see where they are coming from. The fandom on the surface is pretty normal, borderline harmless, in regards to interaction and the such... Only sometimes amplified to reflect the person's chosen animal/s. (Ex. Tails Swishes)

I didn't always think of myself as a furry. I have never felt like I was an animal trapped in a human body. Though it was pointed out by a friend just recently that I had apparently been on the line for years without realizing it. Explaining that my personality is similar to a cat and further referencing a short story I wrote in middle school that had one female antro character, also a cat.

Anyways in college I met a girl and soon we started dating. Now I will admit the first time she tried to explain to me about herself and other furries I was like "You think, you wish you where a what?" Like I couldn't wrap my hear around the idea. But then I rethought it a bit. I had been playing D&D for a few years by this point and it occurred to me that this was a different form of role playing and decided that with this realization that the idea sounded like it could be fun.

So I developed a Male Cheetah character and wrote out a few ideas on how I thought my character could be incorporated into her furry group and by extension the world they had created. I thought if I showed her I was willing to try something new, accept her quirks, that the "Emotional Wall" might soften a little. IMO it failed as she accused me of making fun of her. But slowly she accepted my attempt or as she put it "my heart was in the right place even if my approach was poor."

However, it didn't take long before my interactions with her fursona, (God I hate that word) most of which took place in a little corner of the internet called Furcadia, threw me head first into a questionable, often darker and very much not pg-13, side to the furry fandom. Hell the character she alone had created was a vicious, at times borderline feral, werewolf slave trader with a dominatrix streak. Quite the opposite of my own curiosity driven cheetah who was wise, but not particularly smart, with a love for adventure and a habit of getting into trouble.
I had approached it as if I was making the background for my next D&D character, while she had apparently had gotten DM approval to use the Book of Vile Darkness. (kudos if you get the reference.)

Eventually I started to get jealous after I heard second hand of some of the things she was doing in character and that's not accounting for the handful of times I stumbled upon her myself. Eventually it killed the relationship because she wanted to spend more time in the game then with me.
But I decided that that shouldn't be a deterrent to me, I could still salvage the character and enjoy it... Then I got temp banned three times from Furcadia for a month each time. All in attempts to role-play my character. At which point I decided that I should probably stick to D&D. Also IMHO people who wear Fur suits are flipping weird.

TLDR: While I understand not every furry is a walking deviant, I also don't blame people for their misconceptions about the furry fandom cause a decent amount of it seems to be true if your willing to scratch the surface. I can also say that based off of what I saw, heard, and read for the year and a half or so that I was heavily involved in the culture that there are a lot of people who probably need to get their heads checked. But not every one.

Edited: for spelling since I typed this out in the middle of the night.
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:08 pm

wat

Jamie
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jamie » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:43 pm

Best yet.

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:35 pm

#FurryProblems

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:47 pm

Furs World Problems

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:24 pm

A-

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:04 am

Mo fur, mo problems.
SM, you complete me. :love:

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:14 am

Which one of you posted this:

It's no secret to my friends that I refuse to use blue cards. I have a bias toward the underdog colors (all of the other colors) and want to be able to play those colors in a constructed setting with a decent chance of winning. I love Magic and enjoy rooting for underdogs. To me, it's boring to see the same predictable outcomes in sports, cards, or otherwise. It's good to see an unlikely hero, etc.

Without flaming too heavily about it, the only frustrating aspect of Magic over the years IMO has been the continual domination of blue with only brief interruptions of other decks/colors.. decks which invariably get nerfed through bans or outrun by the printing of stronger and stronger blue cards. As of August 2015, once again, blue is dominating nearly every single archetype across all formats except vintage aggro and standard aggro. That's 10/12 deck types/formats (and letting it slide that Tolarian Academy and a few blue cards often infiltrate MUD which would make it 11 out of 12). If your response is "just put blue in your deck" - you are not hearing me. That's what everyone says. I just don't want to play blue.

I invite you to take a gander at the current population of top8 decks, and add up the % of top8 decks played in vintage/legacy/modern/standard that feature blue. Usually, blue is the dominant color in all of the decks. In many cases blue is not only the top deck in a category, but also represented very heavily in the next 3 or 4 decks down in that category. Mono-blue is now the most winning modern aggro deck (huh?) despite being heavily outnumbered at tournaments by jund and burn, for example. Also, keep in mind that standard is going to change in a month with BFZ, giving blue a chance to climb back up in that format as well. http://www.mtgtop8.com/

Do you think blue is over-represented in Magic? If so, would you rather see other colors brought up or the banhammer brought down in righteous fury to achieve balance?

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:16 am

jwf, it sounds like your friend is also put off by not having any options to deal with things like spell snare - unless they also play blue. Obviously, you know from playing spell snare (which is banned in Modern and flat out mean in casual) that blue has a near-monopoly on the all important stack. A black, green, red or white deck has no recourse against your Spell Snare simply because they can't target the creature that they have cast until it resolves, which it won't.

What I'm hearing is that other players don't like blue dominance and blue players like it very much and don't want to hear "complaining".... any other thoughts?

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:27 am

A guy moved to our school the other year from Singapore, and my friend group decided to take him in so he wasn't all by himself. Over the past couple of years we've come to realise that there's something wrong with him.

First and foremost, he's 19 years old (a year older than the rest of us) and has spoken English his whole life, so it's not some sort of language barrier.

He has a MASSIVE tendency to be both unbelievably socially awkward and to fall in love with people way too young for him. It has gotten to the stage where he falls in love with 14 year old girls that he has observed daily at the train station and after a couple of years of doing nothing now on a couple of occassion he has run up to them, said he loves them and then literally run away. He doesn't realise how weird that is, no matter how much we tell him.

Secondly, his level of thinking and maturity is unbelievably... low. For example, its as if recently he has discovered how to make jokes. But... really basic ones which he finds hilarious. For example, I have a friend named Simon Green... "Hey... why was Simon green? BECAUSE HE WAS SIMON GREEN!" or my friend Rachael Baker... "Hey... why was Rachael making bread? BECAUSE RACHAEL BAKER!".

My friends and I have tolerated this for a couple of years now, but we really don't know what we should be doing about this. What would you guys suggest?

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:45 am

People still don't like blue? Good to see nothing has changed...

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:55 am

Hey, I told you to play blue. Then again, I've been Jeskai all year so obviously I'm biased.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:04 am

So tell us how your day was, Khaos.

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:07 am

En español

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:20 am

Holy moly, new dual lands.

Jamie
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jamie » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:39 am

holy cow those new dual lands

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:19 am

Not Modern or Legacy playable (do people still play vintage?) the citpt clause for 2x basic lands is to much of a requirement for most decks.

Which is good news for standard players since the cost won't be insane for these new fetch-able lands.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:59 pm

This is precisely why they are such a good idea from a design perspective. There will be almost zero demand for these outside of Standard and EDH, much like the Temples from Theros block, which will keep the price of the regular art editions down.

The alternate art ones, on the other hand...

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:31 pm

those full art everythings are bonkers

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:04 pm

So tell us how your day was, Khaos.
I won a 5K playing Mono Red Scrumper. Drunk. All 11 rounds.

I'm glad I won because the beer at the hotel there was fucking expensive.

And then I proceeded to get more drunk and howl Bohemian Rhapsody during the hotel bar karoake, where I told a bunch of old people to put their fucking hands in the air. And they most certainly did. The video is on Facebook.

Return to “Fires of Salvation”