[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby windstrider » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:53 pm

Put my playset of Falkenrath Aristocrat on eBay last night as I've migrated back to mono red in paper. Sold in 30 minutes. Time to buy that playset of Snapcaster Mage and build UB tempo.
Well, that would be the way to do it. Use them high-value cards to get what you need.

Speaking of which, what happened to Liliana of the Veil's price recently? I put my one copy in my trade binder since I'm not actively using her. I checked her price, and she's up over $40. :o

What does anyone think of Beckon Apparition as graveyard hate against Reanimator? I'm liking the idea of instant speed flying token
to feed Aristocrat as needed.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Don't put your deck in the [Fires of Salvation]

Postby TubeHunter » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:57 pm

Good to hear Photo! Easter is going the same with me, being lazy as hell!

also windstider, holy cow on those lilly prices, I knew she was probably going to be that much evenutally, but not this soon. Makes me regret not getting my cousin's foil last christmas

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:57 pm

Stepped over to MTGS for a bit. Looks like that choad Black Vise suspended Alex. Go Alex!
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:06 pm

Dark Souls has consumed my soul, again. Apparently I don't ever have to buy a new game. Just start a new toon. Although speaking of nerdiness around here, I can't wait for Disgaea D2 to come out. Once Soul Sacrifice comes out looks like my Vita will finally do more than play PSOne Classics on my lunch break.

Also you know you're getting old when Easter means nothing to you. Although I know people who get Good Friday off or out early, (my girl gets out early from work paid) I get nothing. I get out at 6 normal and I'll be here 9 am Monday like Normal. I just get to go hunt Easter Eggs with my nephew Sunday, only thing Easter does for me.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:10 pm

Put my playset of Falkenrath Aristocrat on eBay last night as I've migrated back to mono red in paper. Sold in 30 minutes. Time to buy that playset of Snapcaster Mage and build UB tempo.
Well, that would be the way to do it. Use them high-value cards to get what you need.

Speaking of which, what happened to Liliana of the Veil's price recently? I put my one copy in my trade binder since I'm not actively using her. I checked her price, and she's up over $40.

What does anyone think of Beckon Apparition as graveyard hate against Reanimator? I'm liking the idea of instant speed flying token to feed Aristocrat as needed.

Lily is being considered the second greatest 'Walker ever printed, and one of the big reasons why people think Innistrad boxes are going to go to $200+ a pop a year or two after rotation. Well her and Snappy and Geist of course.

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:13 pm

Man, all this anime talk up in here :D.

I gave it up when it sort of became the "Uncool thing"

Is there any good one to perhaps get back into?
There are lots of decent anime to get back into. we really didn't let other people's opinions on anime stop us from appreciating it. Though I understand where they were coming from. Some people could get reeeally overboard in expressing their interest in anime it borders on being creepy.

Anyway, it will depend on what genre you're looking for. I would probably be able to suggest some interesting series to watch.

P.S. The Umineko anime sucked, mainly because I read the sound novel beforehand.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:15 pm

Photodyer:

Great work! Wow, 227 and in no time at all! Didn't you start near 240 a few weeks ago?

Dane

Postby Dane » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:17 pm

The extreme need for shocks and checks between my wife and myself makes me sad.

They say couples should invest in real estate, but I don't think they mean like this...
I'm just amazed by how dumb you can consistently pretend to be.

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:21 pm

Ah, dreamworld is calling, good night for now.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:28 pm

Back from FNM. I beat Boros Sligh(2-0), Bant Control(2-1, went to time, but got him on second extra turn), and lost to Gruul Aggro (1-2 Multiple Rancors on Boros Reckoner soul bonded to Stonewright are pretty good when I have no removal :P ) in the finals.

Everything in that last match felt within my control until the Rancors came along. I will not be sad to see that card rotate out. Do you guys have any ideas for dealing with Rancor? Erase is all I can think of off the top of my head.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:32 pm

Photodyer:

Great work! Wow, 227 and in no time at all! Didn't you start near 240 a few weeks ago?
Yeah, 236 2 weeks ago. I'm pumped! The kicker is that I've had no time to work out between getting sick and keeping up with the kids...this is purely from eating good food and leaving grains alone. My daughter has also gotten into it...she came to me last night as I was posting, gave me a solemn look and said "never again". I was actually scared for a moment--with my ex, that statement could have meant anything--then she explained that she was at 138 and would never again see the 140's. All I could do was smile and hug the girl I was so happy for her.

Thanks again for the encouragement...it means everything!
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:37 pm

They say couples should invest in real estate, but I don't think they mean like this...
I know where you're coming from...same issue trying to keep up a card base for my son and me. What really chafes is the talk that the checklands may be dumped in M14, which would mean having to invest in yet another mana base on top of the Innistrad block leaving. I know WotC is about selling product--that's business--but it does get frustrating.
Righteous sig by NBW

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:04 pm

Okay...so on the non-alcoholic side of liquid refreshment, I know we have a number of tea drinkers...last I knew there was a bidding war for Kaze as a tea wife. ;-)

But what about coffee? Any other java nerds in the gang? I'm not a full-on coffee snob, but I do pretty much stick to fresh-ground beans and the kids got me a burr grinder for Christmas. Drinking Caribou Daybreak this morning, but it's pretty ordinary...
Righteous sig by NBW

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:36 pm

Great job again, Jerry! I think I understand how your daughter must feel, too. Weight is such a looming issue on the mind of young women and they can find themselves with serious body image issues when they feel like they can't control it.

I felt the same way when I was overweight, but I'm not held to the same standard of beauty as a woman.

Dane

Postby Dane » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:02 pm

I know where you're coming from...same issue trying to keep up a card base for my son and me. What really chafes is the talk that the checklands may be dumped in M14, which would mean having to invest in yet another mana base on top of the Innistrad block leaving. I know WotC is about selling product--that's business--but it does get frustrating.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the allied
checks are gone. I don't even think money is as big a motivator as we'd think...at least, not directly. Of course money is the PRIME motivator, as they're a company, but I think given that Limited is their big seller, and the fact that the cards you ALREADY have don't matter (as much) in Limited...I think it's more about keeping things fresh.
I'm just amazed by how dumb you can consistently pretend to be.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:35 pm

@ Khaos & windstrider - Thanks for the props, guys. I figured, new house, time to redecorate!

Good morning, all. The kids are home for the Easter break, so we are being damned lazy so far.

Hamfactorial health challenge going strong...weighed in at 227 this morning, bidding the 230's goodbye forever. Time for bacon & eggs! :dance:
Congrats! Keep up the good work. I lifted weights Wednesday for the first time in three years. Before that I lifted quite a bit in middle and high school as well as on and off during college, so that's the longest I've ever gone without lifting. Two days later and I still hurt badly, and I didn't lift
anywhere near what I'd consider heavy weight. Of course, I expected to be this sore anyway. I remember what it felt like getting back into it after being out of the routine for only a few months.

Speaking of which, what happened to Liliana of the Veil's price recently? I put my one copy in my trade binder since I'm not actively using her. I checked her price, and she's up over $40. :o

What
does anyone think of Beckon Apparition as graveyard hate against Reanimator? I'm liking the idea of instant speed flying token to feed Aristocrat as needed.
Yeah, I wish I had snagged a few Lillys myself. I knew she'd go up as she's such a strong planeswalker. She sees play in every format so it's not hard to see why she's so high even before rotation.

Re: Beckon Apparition. It may be a good alternative to Cremate in decks running Falkenrath Aristocrat, but then again, if you have a lot of bombs in your deck, Cremate allows you to attempt to draw into them.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:19 pm

Good morning folks! I won't be around much today, as a consequence of having the day off; I have a paper to write, and that shit needs to get done before I meet a lady friend for drinks (and ideally other things) tonight.
Yeah, 236 2 weeks ago. I'm pumped! The kicker is that I've had no time to work out between getting sick and keeping up with the kids...this is purely from eating good food and leaving grains alone. My daughter has also gotten into it...she came to me last night as I was posting, gave me a solemn look and said "never again". I was actually scared for a moment--with my ex, that statement could have meant anything--then she explained that she was at 138 and would never again see the 140's. All I could do was smile and
hug the girl I was so happy for her.

Thanks again for the encouragement...it means everything!
Congratulations man! That is absolutely awesome.

Fires of Salvations: Changing lives.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:23 pm

I need to get my ass in shape myself. In at 249 today. Gotta make sure that number goes down every week here on out.

Aesnath
Newcomer

Postby Aesnath » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:26 pm

So...by the length of this thread, I assume it is the actual FoS thread.

As for Lili 2.0: she is an absolute beast in modern. I think that is probably driving the price as much as anything. She's certainly legacy playable, but her modern presence is impressive.

I am also really happy they are going to change the url--I'm having to go to MTGS to get over here; not ideal (sure, I could bookmark it, but I'm on several computers in any one day).

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:33 pm

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is pretty snazzy. It follows the manga rather than the imaginary wtf storyline of the original. It's on Toonami right now.

Cowboy Bebop is always a fine choice. Classic.

Or, if you used to be one of those weeaboo snobs who only watches subbed anime, Hellsing is pretty damn cool. I think it's licensed for dub on Starz or something, but, whatever.
@ Khaos & windstrider - Thanks for the props, guys. I figured, new house, time to redecorate!

Good morning, all. The kids are home for the Easter break, so we are being damned lazy so far.

Hamfactorial health challenge going strong...weighed in at 227 this morning, bidding the 230's goodbye forever. Time for bacon & eggs! :dance:

Good job! Progress! :smileup:

In the spirit of all this self-bettering, I stepped on the scale as well. I'm at 186 now, which marks 20 pounds lost in the last seven weeks. :glee:

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:37 pm

Neon Genesis: Evangelion is my absolute favorite anime. It's a work of art.

If you skip most of the filler, Bleach is pretty good. Also see Darker than Black, Cowboy Bebop, FMA, Deathnote, They're all excellent. And Rahxephon.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:39 pm

So...by the length of this thread, I assume it is the actual FoS thread.

As for Lili 2.0: she is an absolute beast in modern. I think that is probably driving the price as much as anything. She's certainly legacy playable, but her modern presence is impressive.

I am also really happy they are going to change the url--I'm having to go to MTGS to get over here; not ideal (sure, I could bookmark it, but I'm on several computers in any one day).
She's in the stratosphere and not likely to come down...over $40 on MtGO now, which is just plain nuts. She is a beast, though, and coming down anywhere from t3 on just makes that edict incredibly powerful.

EDIT: @Aesnath[/b:
1kzb4ybq] - This is the clan thread for now...next week sometime we will move to the read-only thread you see in the "restricted" section and this will be where folks that want to join the clan will post up for admission.
Righteous sig by NBW

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:10 pm

wow, Lilly is skyrocketing. Do you think she'll hold after standard rotation?

I'm glad I picked up a copy for a foil Breeding Pool and $5. Foils are meaningless to me so in my head I got a Lilly for $15, not $35. Still need another 3 for a playset or 2 for comfort though.

Cowboy Bebop is the bomb. Great anime right there.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:03 pm

Kaze, great work! 3 lbs a week of fat loss is really good. What's your diet / workout plan?

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Really glad I picked up Lilly when she was cheap.

Also, I need to ask. Is the ham challenge more than just not spanking it? It seems like most people here are also getting in shape as part of the challenge. I'm not in very good shape myself. I think I might actually be in a depression. I eat like crap, have no energy, have asthma, and my weight is up to probably 325 lbs on a 6'1" frame. I know I should take better care of myself, but I'm taking the easy way out and ignoring that fact. And now my kids are becoming sedentary like me. I don't know, I guess I'm just weak and scared to step out of my comfort zone.
SM, you complete me. :love:

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:37 pm

I jumped ship as well. Looking forward to turning this place into a great MtG community. I'm on Easter holiday right now, so I won't be posting much the following days though.
Sig by NBW

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:40 pm

Also, I need to ask. Is the ham challenge more than just not spanking it? It seems like most people here are also getting in shape as part of the challenge. I'm not in very good shape myself. I think I might actually be in a depression. I eat like crap, have no energy, have asthma, and my weight is up to probably 325 lbs on a 6'1" frame. I know I should take better care of myself, but I'm taking the easy way out and ignoring that fact. And now my kids are becoming sedentary like me. I don't know, I guess I'm just weak and scared to step out of my comfort zone.
Well that's what having a support group full of testosterone is good for.

Get off your ass and make
your kids proud and motivated, what other incentive do you need? I'm sure ham and others will be happy to share their workout routines/diet stuff with you.

Pyreheart Bezerra

Postby Pyreheart Bezerra » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:41 pm

Seems as though working out is a side effect of the Ham challenge. Now you have TONS of free time, so might aswell work out.

Tier 2 Member of Fires of Salvation.

Mountain Mage since 7/12

Check out my Limited Articles @ CardAgain!

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:44 pm

Kaze, great work! 3 lbs a week of fat loss is really good. What's your diet / workout plan?
Thanks!

My diet mainly consists of portion control more so than actual food choice. Though I do try my best to follow the 30/30/30/4 rule my doctor gave me (30 grams fat, 30 grams carbs, 30 grams protein, 4 meals a day.) I've also been drinking at least three cups of green tea per day. And I switched to Almond milk.

As for workouts, I've been doing this top-down military circuit thing my dad taught me years ago. Basically starting with shoulder presses and working your way down your body to calf raises without resting; doing a shit ton of crunches, leg lifts, and Russian twists at the end; then repeating that 3-4 times or until comatose.
Twice a week I (attempt) to run. Still working on that part...

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:58 pm

The challenge is only about masturbation, but I've found that having a bunch of extra testosterone will make
you more interested in working out and getting your life together in a general sense.

I've been interested in diet and nutrition before this challenge, but I've found that I naturally become better with my dedication and follow-through when I'm not yanking my crank multiple times a day and watching porn.

Many of the guys here have started the challenge and most have found themselves working out, eating better and improving their health.

It's a really great group of guys to be in. If you want to work on your health, we can and will help!

I'm not a personal trainer or an expert on nutrition, but I'm close to you and I would be willing to show you the basics of strength training (squats, dead lifts, rows, etc.) once you've established a good baseline.

Aesnath
Newcomer

Postby Aesnath » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:09 pm

Neon Genesis: Evangelion is my absolute favorite anime. It's a work of art.

If you skip most of the filler, Bleach is pretty good. Also see Darker than Black, Cowboy Bebop, FMA, Deathnote, They're all excellent. And Rahxephon.
I saw an interesting Evangelion movie a few weeks ago on toonami--found out it was part of "rebirth." I stayed away from the original due to the fact that it supposedly has a notoriously unsatisfying mind-fuck ending (it is the "trope namer" for Gainax ending on tvtropes). Is the "rebirth" or whatever series more satisfying in terms of end?
wow, Lilly is skyrocketing. Do you think she'll hold after standard rotation?

I'm glad I picked up a
copy for a foil Breeding Pool and $5. Foils are meaningless to me so in my head I got a Lilly for $15, not $35. Still need another 3 for a playset or 2 for comfort though.

Cowboy Bebop is the bomb. Great anime right there.
Around rotation you should see a drop--probably not a huge one due to the fact that she isn't really a factor in standard. If you need her, wait until then. That will probably be the bottom her for some time. I don't see her getting outclassed (in her specific niche anyway) any time soon.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:17 pm

Guess I need to get in on the ham challenge. Lately when I have sex with the lady, I can't get off. But I've been stressed out and sick lately. Finally getting better and I think teh stress will be gone soon. Definitely need to get in shape though.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:52 pm

Aesnath - Evangelion is hard to finish watching, but it's an experience you won't regret watching.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:05 am

Thanks!

My diet mainly consists of portion control more so than actual food choice. Though I do try my best to follow the 30/30/30/4 rule my doctor gave me (30 grams fat, 30 grams carbs, 30 grams protein, 4 meals a day.) I've also been drinking at least three cups of green tea per day. And I switched to Almond milk.

As for workouts, I've been doing this top-down military circuit thing my dad taught me years ago. Basically starting with shoulder presses and working your
way down your body to calf raises without resting; doing a shit ton of crunches, leg lifts, and Russian twists at the end; then repeating that 3-4 times or until comatose. Twice a week I (attempt) to run. Still working on that part...
I just switched to Almond milk myself just last week. I'm loving it. I don't get that sugar crash like I do from milk, plus it tastes better. I don't like that it has less protein than regular milk, but I make up for that with the protein shakes and tuna fish I consume.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Calamity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Calamity » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:26 am

Wow in leave for a week to spend spring break with my girlfriend and you guys went and blow up the clan... I never expected less from you. Can't say I'm too disappointed though. I was getting tired of mtgs and their hippy bullshit.

Anyway, I'm going to my first ptq in 12 hours with boros sligh... wish it was aristocrats but don't have the cash for it. Oh well, at worst I'll get exposure to the competitive atmosphere.
Official Firebat of FoS

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:32 am

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is currently airing right now, and I recommend that for anyone looking for something in the shounen genre. It can get over the top at times, but there's a reason why the manga has still been running until today.

The first show I watched was Yuu Yuu Hakusho and it introduced me to the anime stuff. Rurouni Kenshin (a.k.a. Samurai X) is still is my favorite anime. I've been regularly watching new releases and currently airing ones as well.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:42 am

Aesnath - Evangelion is hard to finish watching, but it's an experience you won't regret watching.
This. First watch the series all the way through. The last 2 episodes take place entirely inside the mind of Shinji, one of the main characters. This was largely due to budget reasons, as the writers were unable to afford the rest of the animation. After finishing the series, watch "End of Evangelion," a movie that was released later showing the events of the final two episodes from outside of Shinji's head. It is trippy as balls, but helps explain the ending better. After that, do a little reading on what the fuck was actually going on. THEN watch the reboot. The first two (of four) movies are the only ones which are out in the
US, though a shitty camera-rip of the third does exist. We should have the 4th out and subbed around next May. The movies are essentially a reboot, but they are beautifully made and well worth the watch.

Don't let Shinji annoy you; yes, he whines and bitches, but he's asking questions to help define is character. He's very concerned with his place in the world, and what is right and wrong.

Overall, it is a very high-concept series, with the very delightful benefit of also having giant robots fighting.

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:03 am

I think the term used for NGE was "the deconstruction of mecha".

Colonel Nohman
Newcomer

Postby Colonel Nohman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:12 am

Yes she is. I've been a fan of the whole series, bordering on actually inviting myself to the Golden Land or scratching my throat.
I'm a fan too. I really like her.

I suggest you "To Aru Majutsu No Index". One of the best anime I've recently seen!
(Thanks to Sioux for the awesome signature)

Current decks:

Vintage: Megrim
Legacy: B/W Control
Standard: Wolf Run Bant 2.0
Modern: Jund Midrange

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:33 am

Yeah, know how I was 148 last weekend? 166 at the moment :P

Admittedly, I did just weigh myself after waking up from a big night out post Good Friday, but still; pretty happy with my work.
Last edited by zemanjaski on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Return to “Fires of Salvation”