[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Link
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Link » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:40 am

Gwievyth's build is still seriously good for Brighthammer

/propaganda

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:57 am

Zem et al: I hope you guys don't mind but I took it upon myself to start a UBx tempo thread in the developing section.

http://community.ist.utl.pt/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=635

I added some of my thoughts and a tuned decklist and would like some opinions on it.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Speedbump
Newcomer

Postby Speedbump » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:00 am

I actually think that a more burn-heavy Boros does quite well in a PTQ or normal event, because everyone and his dog is going to try and out-race Reanimator before it comes online. I am preparing for a lot of Blitz decks, as well as a bunch of Reanimator decks. I'd be highly surprised if the meta went UWR heavy.

EDIT: Current decklist, in preparation for the Melbourne PTQ next weekend.

[deck=Speedbump's Boros Deck Loses]
// Lands (22)
13 Mountain
4 Clifftop Retreat
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Boros Guildgate

//Creatures (23)
4 Stromkirk Noble
4 Stonewright
3 Rakdos Cackler
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Hellrider

//Burn (15)
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
3 Skullcrack
4 Boros Charm

Sideboard (15)
1 Rakdos Cackler
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
3 Mizzium Mortars
1 Skullcrack
3 Thunderbolt
3 Mark of Mutiny[/deck]
Last edited by Speedbump on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scrubbiest Scrub of FoS.

Calamity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Calamity » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:01 am

/propaganda
It looked good but i lacked the restoration angels, which were pivotal in the build in testing. It just wasn't the same without them.
I actually think that a more burn-heavy Boros does quite well in a PTQ or normal event, because everyone and his dog is going to try and out-race Reanimator before it comes online. I am preparing for a lot of Blitz decks, as well as a bunch of Reanimator decks. I'd be highly surprised if the meta went UWR heavy.
This was my line of thought with my
sligh build, and i actually beat what i prepared for (reanimator and blitz) but lost to UWR control, gruul stompy, and three jund midrange decks (i forgot those damn things existed, i figured the reanimator would drive them out)
Official Firebat of FoS

Speedbump
Newcomer

Postby Speedbump » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:36 am

/propaganda
It looked good but i lacked the restoration angels, which were pivotal in the build in testing. It just wasn't the same without them.
I actually think that a more burn-heavy Boros does quite well in a PTQ or normal event, because everyone and his dog is going to try and out-race Reanimator before it comes online. I am preparing for a
lot of Blitz decks, as well as a bunch of Reanimator decks. I'd be highly surprised if the meta went UWR heavy.
This was my line of thought with my sligh build, and i actually beat what i prepared for (reanimator and blitz) but lost to UWR control, gruul stompy, and three jund midrange decks (i forgot those damn things existed, i figured the reanimator would drive them out)
What does your list look like? Normally, you should be able to beat Gruul Stompy as well, because you're playing that same Control style as you would against Naya Blitz. I've found that running 4 Pillar of Flame, 4 Searing Spear, 4 Boros Reckoner and 4 Ash Zealot tends to make Aggro match-ups quite good.
Scrubbiest Scrub of FoS.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:43 am

/propaganda
I have no idea what Brighthammer is, but the bolded part is something I won't get tired of. :sherlock:

Calamity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Calamity » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:54 am

/propaganda
I actually think that a more
burn-heavy Boros does quite well in a PTQ or normal event, because everyone and his dog is going to try and out-race Reanimator before it comes online. I am preparing for a lot of Blitz decks, as well as a bunch of Reanimator decks. I'd be highly surprised if the meta went UWR heavy.
This was my line of thought with my sligh build, and i actually beat what i prepared for (reanimator and blitz) but lost to UWR control, gruul stompy, and three jund midrange decks (i forgot those damn things existed, i figured the reanimator would drive them out)
What does your list look like? Normally, you should be able to beat Gruul Stompy as well, because you're playing that same Control style as you would against Naya Blitz. I've found that running 4 Pillar of Flame, 4 Searing Spear, 4 Boros Reckoner and 4 Ash Zealot tends to make Aggro match-ups quite good.[/
quote]

[deck]
Creatures: 27
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
2 Pyreheart Wolf
4 Stromkirk Noble
4 Ash Zealot
4 Hellrider
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Rakdos Cackler
2 Stonewright

Spells: 11
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
3 Boros Charm

Lands: 22
1 Slayers' Stronghold
13 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Clifftop Retreat
Sideboard
2 Volcanic Strength
4 Oblivion Ring
3 Nearheath Pilgrim
2 Electrickery
1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1 Boros Charm
2 Pyreheart Wolf
[/deck]

With the stompy deck, it was the green based aggro, with gyre sages and arbor elves giving turn 2 predator oozes and turn 3 wolfir silverhearts and i didn't have O rings. I just drew bad for the most part.
Official Firebat of FoS

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:33 am

SCG Orlando was an interesting day 1, did you guys see the massive amount of variance in the lists? Reanimator actually didn't take like, every slot in the top 8 for once.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:49 am

So, like, people post their life issues on here a lot seeking sanctuary and solace. Anybody mind if I follow suit? I've been having something tearing at me for a while now.

Death. I have a deep-rooted, overwhelming fear of death. Impending doom. Someday it will get me. Someday soon, perhaps. It all started when I was diagnosed with my heart condition. I was nineteen. Up until then, the thought "someday, I will die" had never even crossed my mind. I knew it as fact. I didn't care, I guess? For some reason, it didn't bother me. Now I think about it incessantly. Every day without fail. I fear this will be my last day, hour, minute, moment on Earth. I was raised religious, but I can't help but fear just ceasing to exist after I die. It's unbearable sometimes. I feel like everything I do in life anymore is just a distraction from my inevitable fate. Everyone on Earth will die someday, and not too many people seem
concerned. I don't understand how. Does the thought of dying, whether you move to a new plane of existence or cease existing forever, just not scare people like it does me? I wish I could get over this...

Sorry. I feel weird now. I hate throwing off the feel of the thread.

Vexing Devil sucks. redthirst is the epitome of manliness. Burning-Tree Emissary has no place in a mono-red sligh deck. Carry on.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:25 am

Kaze,

Obviously you recognize that your obsession is not rational...your reasoning skills are obvious. For me, I'm aware of my own mortality, and I fear for what would become of my kids if I were suddenly gone, but that's as far as I let it go. I've had to adopt "Let Go and Let God" as my philosophy about everything that is out of my control just to get through the past few years, so that's where I file my mortality concerns. All I can do is what I'm doing now--try to take the best care of myself that I can and take each day as it comes. I know this doesn't likely help, but it's how I deal anyway.
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:32 am

And now I think I'm ready to die...I just had the poor judgment to go over to MTGS and read the latest discussion in the Dos Rakis thread. Here is the latest deck proposed:

[deck]
Dos Crapis by TheRogue
4 reckless waif
4 burning-tree shaman
4 lightning mauler
2 gore-house chainwalker
2 Falkenrath Torturer

4 falkenrath aristocrat
4 hellrider
2 zealous conscripts
4 searing spear
4 brimstone volley
2 dreadbore
2 bonfire of the damn

22 land[/deck]

:no2: :no2: :no2: :no2:

I just want to cry...I can't believe after all the pages and pages of testing and discussion of
the deck, that it comes down to this. Beyond how incredibly bad the deck is, he can't even spell card names correctly or bother with capitalization. The hell with it...I'm going to bed.
Righteous sig by NBW

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:35 am

So, "Stop worrying about things you cannot control" seems to be the remedy here. But it's far easier said than done, I suppose.

I think the concept of death was a lot easier to bear with back when I was a super-religious teenager. Being raised Baptist left little room for doubts about the existence of a soul and whatnot. But ever since I've left home and my parents aren't exactly able to force me up for Sunday service anymore, those doubts have crept in. "Father, take this cup from me, if it is your will" feels a lot less reassuring when I'm constantly conflicted between my religious beliefs and scientific beliefs.

I think I'm less afraid of death itself than eternal oblivion. I don't know how Atheists deal with the thought. I sure can't.

Also, I was just at MTGS, myself. Came across a "is vexing devil really that bad?" thread. At least most of them said hell yes.

Happy Easter,
and good night.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:54 am

We move out for a few days and the place goes to the dogs...
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:10 am

I get a sort of glee watching the place fester since we left. It helps feed my ego in an inverse way.

Speedbump
Newcomer

Postby Speedbump » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:20 am

And now I think I'm ready to die...I just had the poor judgment to go over to MTGS and read the latest discussion in the Dos Rakis thread. Here is the latest deck proposed:

[deck]
Dos Crapis by TheRogue
4 reckless waif
4 burning-tree shaman
4 lightning mauler
2 gore-house chainwalker
2 Falkenrath Torturer

4 falkenrath aristocrat
4 hellrider
2 zealous conscripts
4 searing spear
4 brimstone volley
2 dreadbore
2 bonfire of the damn

22 land[/deck]

:no2: :no2: :no2:

I just want to cry...I can't believe after all the pages and pages of testing and discussion of the deck, that it comes down to this. Beyond how incredibly bad the deck is, he can't even spell card names correctly or bother with capitalization. The hell with it...I'm going to bed.
I've been drinking rather heavily, and even with beer goggles, that deck is awful.

On a slightly related note, drinking a bottle of Chimay Grande Réserve I got for my birthday today. Tastes pretty awesome, goes well with or without food.
Scrubbiest Scrub of FoS.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:30 am

I'm 3 glasses into a bottle of zinfandel. Om nom nom! Lying in bed now, listening to the thunderstorm over my house. Life is good :)

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:46 am

So, "Stop worrying about things you cannot control" seems to be the remedy here. But it's far easier said than done, I suppose.

I think I'm less afraid of death itself than eternal oblivion. I don't know how Atheists deal with the thought. I sure can't.
I've been an atheist my whole adult life (a little over 20 years, so more than half my life). And before that, well, my family has never been very religious but religion is important for lots of people in the parts where I grew up. I can't remember if the thought that my existence ends when I die has ever bothered me at all. It just feels very natural to me, how the world work and all that. So for me there's no such thoughts to deal with. The thought of eternal life,
on the other hand, bothers me a bit
Sig by NBW

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:02 am

I tried my Gruul deck (the one in the Gruul Ragehammer thread) earlier this week against an earlier version of this deck:

[deck]23 Swamp
4 Knight of Infamy
2 Bloodgift Demon
4 Desecration Demon
4 Vampire Nighthawk
2 Tribute to Hunger
4 Tragic Slip
4 Victim of Night
3 Mutilate
2 Duress
2 Appetite for Brains
2 Sign in Blood
2 Essence Harvest
2 Underground Connections
Sideboard
4 Cremate
2 Sever the
Bloodline
1 Mutilate
2 Appetite for Brains
2 Duress
2 Tribute to Hunger
2 Curse of Death's Hold[/deck]

I had a surprisingly hard time against it, lost both games. Ok, the first game I was mana screwed, and we only played two games so it's hard to draw any conclusions. But I've struggled before against a similar deck, lots of removal followed by big demons. So I started thinking...maybe I should dust of my old mono-black deck? Against the current meta, what decks would the above deck have the hardest time beating?
I am liking this deck a lot. I might have to sleeve that up and try it out. Photo and I are thinking our way through a combo-ish deck to attack the meta from a different angle.
I agree, but I can't leave well enough alone...I want to splash white for Lingering Souls. Which of course then opens up another whole can of worms...
Yeah, Lingering Souls would be great. But I don't have neither them,
nor the mana base for it. I could potentially go for a Br deck, but no other color combinations right now. Windstrider, if you try it, please report your thoughts because I have limited testing opportunities myself right now. I'd appreciate it a lot.
Sig by NBW

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:04 am

Happy birthday, speedbump! May the Fires of Salvation burn bright upon it, and the booze flow freely and the women just easy enough to make it fun :)

So I have to hit reset on the ham challenge. 14 days was too much. And so Easter is day 1. Anywho, I've been watching lots of Dr. Who and thoroughly enjoying it. Such a beautiful TV show. Also purged my Magic collection today, and I'm now the happy owner of nothing more than 3 cobbled together EDH decks and a handful of extra cards. It all fits into one compact box, which makes me extremely happy. Even went for a jog in the morning, for the first time in ages! So today (well, yesterday I suppose, since it is now 5 am) was a good day.

Happy Easter folks, and good night ^_^

I think the concept of death was a lot easier to bear with back when I was a super-religious teenager. Being raised Baptist left little room for doubts about the existence of a soul and whatnot. But ever since I've left home and my parents aren't exactly able to force me up for Sunday service anymore, those doubts have crept in. "Father, take this cup from me, if it is your will" feels a lot less reassuring when I'm constantly conflicted between my religious beliefs and scientific beliefs.

I went through a pretty similar "crisis of faith"-ish (without the
faith part) myself recently, so if you want to converse about it via PM or chat I'd be happy to do so.

Colonel Nohman
Newcomer

Postby Colonel Nohman » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:27 am

Happy easter everyone!

And happy birthday Speedbump.

I hope that all of you will have a good day. Yesterday I've had fun with Wolf Run Bant. I think I'll give another try to that deck.
(Thanks to Sioux for the awesome signature)

Current decks:

Vintage: Megrim
Legacy: B/W Control
Standard: Wolf Run Bant 2.0
Modern: Jund Midrange

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:27 pm

Why do I have to deal with it? It isn't like it's something that I get a say in, that shit is going to happen regardless of whether or not I like it, so there's really no reason to get upset and worry about it. Otherwise you just spend good time you have ALIVE looking like this: :scared:

I'm not an Atheist, but I'm not a theist either. I tend not to think about any of that nonsense at all, and believe firmly in science and logic.
Yeah, Lingering Souls would be great. But I don't have neither them, nor the mana base for it. I could potentially go for a Br deck, but no other color combinations right now. Windstrider, if you try it, please report your thoughts because I have limited testing opportunities myself right now. I'd appreciate it a lot.
I was going to say "So buy them, cheapass," but then I looked and saw that they're like $2.50 on Starcity. Yikes.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:43 pm

Yeah, Lingering Souls would be great. But I don't have neither them, nor the mana base for it. I could potentially go for a Br deck, but no other color combinations right now. Windstrider, if you try it, please report your thoughts because I have limited testing opportunities myself right now. I'd appreciate it a lot.
I was going to say "So buy them, cheapass," but then I looked and saw that they're like $2.50 on Starcity. Yikes.
The LS playset for almost $10 isn't a problem. The $80 mana base to go with them is a problem though, and the reason why I haven't bought them yet.
Sig by NBW

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:37 pm

Sorry I haven't been on much - Easter is a busy time for my large very Christian family.

Kaze, I imagine the thought of death bothers everyone more the closer they get to it. I ignore it, but that's easy to do when there's no real reason to think you won't live another 50+ years - so I don't know how much I can relate. I would suggest you think about hitting up a church service this morning - I really don't want to get all preachy, but I am an absolute believer and I think it could help you. Besides, even if I'm wrong, the thought of a loving God and afterlife with my loved ones brings comfort which is worth something and, if I am wrong, it's not like I'll care after I die... so there's that.

Zem, I've tested Dos Rakis -vs- UWr Flash/Tempo more than any other MU because it's the one I have the most trouble with. The MU is about even (maybe a bit more in my favor) if they don't get BlOb out, but swings
wildly in their favor when they drop it early. Between it preventing 6+ damage a game (IME) by turning off Haste, gaining them life, making it nearly impossible for you to mount an effective defense, and dealing 2+ damage (effectively shortening their clock by a turn) - it does a lot of work. If people aren't playing this thing in the meta (along with GoST) then thank God because there is nothing scarier for Dos Rakis.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:10 pm

Doesn't mono red have more haste than did rakis though? Mauler plus Zealot plus Hellrider (maybe some 5s) vs Zealot plus Aristocrat plus 1-2 5s? If yes, wouldn't the issue be the higher Dos Rakis curve being more vulnerable to tempo plays?

It seems to me that between having actual answers to Reckoner and Revelation that Dos Rakis should be well positioned; maybe an effort needs to be made to be both less vulnerable to tempo plays and less susceptible to running out of gas.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:29 pm

ffffffffffffff

Zem's probably right as usual. I thought this was one damn topic where he could be fallible, but his wisdom knows no bounds.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:38 pm

Reading the decklists on the SCG open weirds me out....

Like the Experiment Jund. So many 1 ofs??? 1 VS? 1 Dreadbore? 1 SKULLCRACK? 2 nobles? 24 lands to support a single hellkite?

I mean I don't know much about variance but how the hell can you get a deck to consistently do what you want with all those singles...

Death has been creeping up on me at night sometimes lately... I don't talk to my gf about it because I don't want to worry her or get her thinking about it.

I think its easy (no offense to anyone, I'm not here to denounce your beliefs) to believe in God and heaven as a comfort when this base fear takes over you, but I resist it. The idea of ceasing to exist is damn scary though, so I try to stay in the "you can't change it and there's no use pissing away your life in fear, so just enjoy it" camp.

But that doesn't mean the fear doesn't creep up every once in awhile

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:56 pm

I went 3-1 last night, beating naya humans, budget naya, and prime speaker bant. Lost to naya :(. Having a hard time beating naya lately. Also pulled and obzedat, so more fuel for my legacy obsession!

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:02 pm

So, like, people post their life issues on here a lot seeking sanctuary and solace. Anybody mind if I follow suit? I've been having something tearing at me for a while now.

Death. I have a deep-rooted, overwhelming fear of death. Impending doom. Someday it will get me. Someday soon, perhaps. It all started when I was diagnosed with my heart condition. I was nineteen. Up until then, the thought "someday, I will die" had never even crossed my mind. I knew it as fact. I didn't care, I guess? For some reason, it didn't bother me. Now I think about it incessantly. Every day without fail. I fear this will be my last day, hour, minute, moment on Earth. I was raised religious, but I can't help but fear just ceasing to exist after I die. It's
unbearable sometimes. I feel like everything I do in life anymore is just a distraction from my inevitable fate. Everyone on Earth will die someday, and not too many people seem concerned. I don't understand how. Does the thought of dying, whether you move to a new plane of existence or cease existing forever, just not scare people like it does me? I wish I could get over this...

Sorry. I feel weird now. I hate throwing off the feel of the thread.

Vexing Devil sucks. redthirst is the epitome of manliness. Burning-Tree Emissary has no place in a mono-red sligh deck. Carry on.
Kaze, if you need to discuss something, please don't hesitate to do so. That's one of the reasons why the clan was created in the first place.

With a heart condition, it stands to reason that you would think about death more often. That is an additional burden that most people just don't have, so you naturally have to be more careful in your day to day
living. The fear of ceasing to exist, of not knowing what comes after is also a part of human existence. None of us know for certain what happens after we die. As one of my friends put it, "There's only one way to find out, and you don't get to come back from that trip to tell anyone."

The obsession with dying, with not knowing, is not healthy. That type of fear can and will consume your life if you let it take over. My daughter, who's gone through several traumatic events lately, is also questioning the meaning of our existence. My answer is that we exist to experience life. Yes, there is pain, there is fear, and there is heartbreak, and awfulness, but there is also beauty, there is also discovery, there is wonder, and there is love. We are meant to experience life in all of its facets.

My own metaphysical and spiritual beliefs are ... complicated to say the least. They are a weird blend of Buddhism, Ancient Egyptian Paganism, Chaos Theory,
personal experience, and general philosophy. We experience things, and then we need to move on. If you've read Dan Simmons' Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, and Rise of Endymion, then you'll appreciate the following message: "Choose again." If you haven't read those books, then do so. They are space opera with a philosophical underpinning on a grand scale and might help to give you new insight and a way to approach your fears.

Suffice it to say, we are part of something bigger. The seeming disconnect between science and spiritual belief is a false dichotomy. If we are meant to experience life, then we are meant to try to explain it. Anyone who would say that science invalidates belief are constrained by their own fears and limited understanding. Scientific inquiry is an attempt to explore the hidden aspects behind existence, while belief is there to provide
comfort in those areas where science falls short.

For my part, I personally do not fear death nor what comes after. My fears are for those I would leave behind: my kids, my wife, my family, and my friends. To minimize those fears, I try to live my life to the best that I can.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:07 pm

I'm 3 glasses into a bottle of zinfandel. Om nom nom! Lying in bed now, listening to the thunderstorm over my house. Life is good :)
Oh dude...don't get me started pining. A big, extracted zin...yum. I don't want to think about the amount of wine just sitting in my basement at this point (years of collecting before my ex went off the deep end).

@ Speedbump - Happy Birthday!

@ windstrider - Well said sir...waxing philosophical doth suit you well. I stopped thinking about "labels" a long time ago...I believe that there has to be some Power well beyond our reckoning, but I'm less concerned with trying to make "Him" fit into a
particular box than I am with acknowledging that He's got my back and is worthy of my gratitude. Regardless of what name we give God, the idea of living each day as best you can and trying to leave things better than you found them can't be wrong in anybody's book.

@ Clan FoS - To those of you for whom Christianity resonates, Happy Easter and rejoice. May all of you, my brothers, enjoy time with your loved ones and find happiness and contentment in the sharing.
Righteous sig by NBW

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:16 pm

I don't think a high curve is my problem:
8 burn
23 land

I've also tested a version that traded the 5 drops and a land for 3 more burn spells and had similar results. It's not Gruul fast, but it holds its own.

Honestly zem, you know I respect your opinion, but I get the feeling that you haven't seriously tested against UWr packing BlOb in any real capacity. This isn't a deck that just durdles - it's got a respectable clock in it's own right and we simply can't afford to be slowed down 3+ extra turns while simultaneously not being able to mount a respectable defense.

I've got to rely on my own experience and, IME, Dos Rakis has trouble with that particular deck if they drop an early BlOb.

Don't know what else to tell you - I can probably get you a tempo list and you can test against it yourself if you want.
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

I love the D...

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:20 pm

Oh, and there's only one proper way to enjoy a fine wine - and that's artfully chugged from an elegant 1.5 liter bottle.

I love the D...

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:34 pm

I like my wine like my dick, in a magnum.

Oh who am I kidding... the magnum isn't nearly big enough.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:41 pm

I'm interested to see how this BlOb thing shakes out. It's like the clash of the titans. But scarier.

I've only played against it in EDH, and it is an absolute bear to deal with. Largely because you can't count on any of your creatures blocking.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:43 pm

You guys are awesome. Not a single ounce of ridicule. Who says the internet isn't better than real life? I appreciate you all giving me some words on the subject.

I missed church today, I woke up with a wicked fever and couldn't move out of bed until the better part of the morning was over. I broke out the old bible, though. And I think I'll attend a service next week. That's not to say I intend to take comfort in religion itself, though. At least not yet. It still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth from my younger years of being punished for my "sins" as a child. But I'll give it another shot. I suppose, as far as the psychological problem goes, I need to accept it somehow. I once had someone tell me that if you told yourself something every morning after you woke up, over and over, the subconsciousness of it all takes over and you believe it. "I'm going to die someday, maybe someday soon, and that's okay&
quot; sounds like the correct thing here. It's just become such an issue in my daily life. It distracts me from work, from communicating with people, and such. I don't want to end up clinically insane or something. :scared:

So, happy Easter/day off from work/whatever you personally see today as. I think I'll visit my folks today.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:45 pm

I think I'd play Blind Obedience in a deck with enough white in it. It's not amazingly amazing, but there are lots of worse 2 CMC cards.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:45 pm

so folks don't think LillyotVeil will drop much after rotation, but what about Snappy? Since RtR was fully spoiled I wanted to build a U/R or U/B tempo deck, but obviously Snaps is pivotal there. Should I invest? I don't care much about it being $80 or so, I just don't want to lose $20+ when I can just play Gruul/RDW/Naya/Jund until rotation and pick him up on the cheap.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:50 pm

You guys are awesome. Not a single ounce of ridicule. Who says the internet isn't better than real life? I appreciate you all giving me some words on the subject.

I missed church today, I woke up with a wicked fever and couldn't move out of bed until the better part of the morning was over. I broke out the old bible, though. And I think I'll attend a service next week. That's not to say I intend to take comfort in religion itself, though. At least not yet. It still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth from my younger years of being punished for my "sins" as a child. But I'll give it another shot. I suppose, as far as the psychological problem goes, I need to accept it somehow. I once had someone tell me that if you told yourself something
every morning after you woke up, over and over, the subconsciousness of it all takes over and you believe it. "I'm going to die someday, maybe someday soon, and that's okay" sounds like the correct thing here. It's just become such an issue in my daily life. It distracts me from work, from communicating with people, and such. I don't want to end up clinically insane or something. :scared:

So, happy Easter/day off from work/whatever you personally see today as. I think I'll visit my folks today.
Like others here I don't have any training in a profession where advice in this sort of thing is normal, but I do have my own beliefs and experiences to pull from. Personally, I'd suggest changing your morning mantra a bit. To me it sounds a bit too negative, and you may want to switch it to something more positive. Instead of focusing on "I'm going to die someday, maybe
someday soon," you may instead want to think of something along the lines of "I'm going to live today to its fullest."

The idea of not focusing on things outside of your control came up earlier. I think it's easy to translate that into not caring, or being lax about life and death, but it doesn't need to. Instead define for yourself what is and is not outside/inside your control. Is a terrorist attack on your workplace within your control? Not likely. Is looking both ways when you cross the street within your control? Yup. Things like that. You could even say "Is a genetic disease/illness within my control?" The answer there is likely no. But is maintaining a healthy lifestyle? That one's more likely.

My thoughts on the subject, for what they're worth.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

MattC
Newcomer

Postby MattC » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:57 pm

Sup guys. I guess we've migrated here. Gotta say I kinda like how the entire premise of this site is "fuck MTGS" :P

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:57 pm

I thought a bit about your existential question, Kaze. I was born into a quasi-Catholic family, baptized and confirmed, but that's about as far as it went.

I've always had a healthy suspicion of authority, so it was difficult for me to get behind the idea of an all-knowing all-seeing entity that would keep a tally of plusses and minuses when I died.

I'm fairly sure that the Catholic idea of god isn't valid, but I see lots of value in adopting a set of morals and values to live life by.

I can't say for sure that I'm an atheist, because I don't know for sure that no god exists. I also don't know for sure that a god does exist, so I've chosen to take a policy of "I'll be a good person while I'm alive, which ought to cover me in the afterlife if there is one"

Regarding the afterlife, I've thought a lot about that, too. If we simply blink out of existence after we die, that's fantastic! If I can'
t comprehend that I'm not in heaven after I die, because there is no me left, then I won't feel good or bad about it and there's no reason to worry.

If my spiritual butt is covered from a lifetime of treating people well, I ought to be proud of my time spent. If that includes some sort of afterlife, I'll get to spend time with good people who love me because I was good to them.

I'm like the religious version of a hedge fund.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:09 pm

[quote="rcwraspy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:50 pmLike others here I don't have any training in a profession where advice in this sort of thing is normal, but I do have my own beliefs and experiences to pull from. Personally, I'd suggest changing your morning mantra a bit. To me it sounds a bit too negative, and you may want to switch it to something more positive. Instead of focusing on "I'm going to die someday, maybe someday soon," you may instead want to think of something along the lines of "I'm going to live today to its fullest."

The idea of not focusing on things outside of your control came up earlier. I think it's easy to translate that into not caring, or being lax about life and death, but it doesn't need to. Instead define for yourself what is and is not outside/inside your control.
Is a terrorist attack on your workplace within your control? Not likely. Is looking both ways when you cross the street within your control? Yup. Things like that. You could even say "Is a genetic disease/illness within my control?" The answer there is likely no. But is maintaining a healthy lifestyle? That one's more likely.[/quote]

I do suppose a more positive morning mantra will help more than the former. I'll try giving these things a shot, too.
I thought a bit about your existential question, Kaze. I was born into a quasi-Catholic family, baptized and confirmed, but that's about as far as it went.

I've always had a healthy suspicion of authority, so it was difficult for me to get behind the idea of an all-knowing all-seeing entity that would keep a tally of plusses and minuses when I died.

nI'm fairly sure that the Catholic idea of god isn't valid, but I see lots of value in adopting a set of morals and values to live life by.

I can't say for sure that I'm an atheist, because I don't know for sure that no god exists. I also don't know for sure that a god does exist, so I've chosen to take a policy of "I'll be a good person while I'm alive, which ought to cover me in the afterlife if there is one"

Regarding the afterlife, I've thought a lot about that, too. If we simply blink out of existence after we die, that's fantastic! If I can't comprehend that I'm not in heaven after I die, because there is no me left, then I won't feel good or bad about it and there's no reason to worry.

If my spiritual butt is covered from a lifetime of treating people well, I ought to be proud of my time spent. If that includes some sort of afterlife, I'll get to spend time with good people who love me because I was good to them.

I'm like the religious version of a hedge fund.
I think I'm in a similar position of just plain not being sure. I would love to go about my life just being as virtuous a person I can and hoping it pays off if I transcend to another life, if it weren't for that whole "accept Christ as your savior, or you shall perish" thing. Assuming the two possibilities are oblivion or Christian afterlife, i'll either vanish forever hence or torment in metaphorical(or actual?) flames for eternity. Neither sounds pleasant. But at the same time, I don't want to prescribe to religion just because of a fear of Hell, or some other consequence. That just doesn't feel genuine. Almost a blatant effrontery to the religion itself.

Also, I suppose I just don't see the thought of "just ending" as okay. I don't want to disappear. I'm not okay with that. I have a hard enough time dealing with myself after I finish a book I really like and there's nothing left to read. I imagine the end of life is like the end of a very long, vivid
storybook.

Life is complicated. Death is complicated. I just can't win. :no2:

Return to “Fires of Salvation”