[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Alex
Not Even MAD
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Alex » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:04 pm

I'm more of an anonymous forum goer myself. this is my 5th forum name in 5 forums! :D

Dane: I feel that Ral looks too powerful to not find a home. As said before, a [card:
fp1vtu9i]Staggershock[/card]-ish Bolt effect plus that tap effect looks too good to not be playable. I just want to hit the jackpot on the ultimate though!!! 5 turns? Yes please!

But, the same thing was said about [card]Aurelia's Fury[/card], and that never found a home.
Aurelia's Fury was a trap card from the start. Aggro can't hold back mana to cast a spell, and aggro is where that card wants to be.

Always hated it.
It's a win condition in midrange. I played it in Modern flash and it was about as good as you expect it to be when you're playing cards like Vendillion Clique, Restoration Angel, and Snapcaster Mage. Which is to say it just killed my opponent out of nowhere when they thought they had the board pretty stable.
There are better options, though. Especially in Modern. Yes, the free-splitting Fireball is nice, but as far as damage to the dome goes,
it's subpar.
The card is arguably as good as Cryptic Command in a tempo deck. I'd play Cryptic Command if the mana could more comfortably support it, but 1UUU is just a bit too much of a stretch for my taste.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:05 pm

This makes me somewhat excited about the tools they are goin to give aggro decks... but in the article Rosewater also said DGM had to be a "slow" draft out of the all the blocks so there probably won't be any fast awesome cards for us...
Well a slow limited format doesn't necessarily mean there won't be good aggressive cards in the set, they just won't be playing as well by themselves.

Return to Ravnica was a pretty slow limited format but it has some really good aggressive cards for constructed.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:06 pm

what I'm curious is why no one's talking about the new 2/2 Flash bounce creature that's a COMMON and UW.

As if they didn't have enough bs. Save Augur from Spear and get more spears? Get snapcaster back in my hand for more azo charms?

This makes me somewhat excited about the tools they are goin to give aggro decks... but in the article Rosewater also said DGM had to be a "slow" draft out of the all the blocks so there probably won't be any fast awesome cards for us...
I do like that card, as well. Azorius Aggro-Control may become a thing, and I love me some UW Humans.

If they reprint Meddling Mage or something, I just might be set for it.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:12 pm

I'm more of an anonymous forum goer myself. this is my 5th forum name in 5 forums!

Dane: I feel that Ral looks too powerful to not find a home. As said before, a Staggershock-ish Bolt effect plus that tap effect looks too good to not be playable. I just want to hit the jackpot on the ultimate though!!! 5 turns? Yes please!

But, the same thing was said about [card]Aurelia's Fury[/card], and that never found a home.
Aurelia's Fury was a trap card from the start. Aggro can't hold back mana to cast a spell, and aggro is where that card wants to be.

Always hated it.
It's a win condition in midrange. I played it in Modern flash and it was about as good as you expect it to be when you're playing cards like Vendillion Clique, Restoration Angel, and Snapcaster Mage. Which is to say it just killed my opponent out of nowhere when they thought they had the board pretty stable.
nThere are better options, though. Especially in Modern. Yes, the free-splitting Fireball is nice, but as far as damage to the dome goes, it's subpar.
The card is arguably as good as Cryptic Command in a tempo deck. I'd play Cryptic Command if the mana could more comfortably support it, but 1UUU is just a bit too much of a stretch for my taste.
Did you just compare that thing to the best blue card this side of Unlimited?

We shall fight.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:17 pm

[quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=50501#p50501:14wnknku]Kazekirimaru » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:12 pm[/url:14wnknku]":14wnknku][quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=50491#p50491:14wnknku]Alex » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:04 pm[/url:14wnknku]":14wnknku][quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=50476#p50476:14wnknku]Kazekirimaru » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:55 pm[/url:14wnknku]":14wnknku][quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=50461#p50461:14wnknku]Alex » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:47 pm[/url:14wnknku]":14wnknku][quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=50455#p50455:14wnknku]Kazekirimaru » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:41 pm[/url:14wnknku]":14wnknku][quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=50450#
p50450:14wnknku]TubeHunter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:38 pm[/url:14wnknku]":14wnknku]I'm more of an anonymous forum goer myself. this is my 5th forum name in 5 forums! :D

Dane: I feel that Ral looks too powerful to not find a home. As said before, a [card:14wnknku]Staggershock[/card:14wnknku]-ish Bolt effect plus that tap effect looks too good to not be playable. I just want to hit the jackpot on the ultimate though!!! 5 turns? Yes please!

But, the same thing was said about [card:14wnknku]Aurelia's Fury[/card:14wnknku], and that never found a home.[/quote:14wnknku]

[c:14wnknku]Aurelia's Fury[/c:14wnknku] was a trap card from the start. Aggro can't hold back mana to cast a spell, and aggro is where that card wants to be.

Always hated it.[/quote:14wnknku]
It's a win condition in midrange. I played it in Modern flash and it was about as good as you expect it to be when you're playing cards like Vendillion
Clique, Restoration Angel, and Snapcaster Mage. Which is to say it just killed my opponent out of nowhere when they thought they had the board pretty stable.[/quote:14wnknku]

There are better options, though. Especially in Modern. Yes, the free-splitting [c:14wnknku]Fireball[/c:14wnknku] is nice, but as far as damage to the dome goes, it's subpar.[/quote:14wnknku]
The card is arguably as good as Cryptic Command in a tempo deck. I'd play Cryptic Command if the mana could more comfortably support it, but 1UUU is just a bit too much of a stretch for my taste.[/quote:14wnknku]

Did you just compare that thing to the best blue card this side of Unlimited?

We shall fight.[/quote:14wnknku]
You're right, there is no comparison. Aurelia's Fury is better in a tempo deck than Cryptic Command. :sherlock: Why, you ask? Because I can actually cast it.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Ladies, settle down. We all know what the best card in the game is: redthirts's massive dick.

Oh wait, they haven't made it yet? You mean it would take an entire block to show it?

Nevermind. Argue on, kids. :)
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Long time no see Flames, I'm just jumping aboard the new site.

Anyone else go to the TCG 5k in Providence this past weekend?

I brought this White-Weenie deck with a splash of red that Craig Wescoe came up with and did pretty decent going 7-2 for 21st place of 300, got $50 and a playmat so not too bad. For my standards at least I had been looking to get over the hump for bigger events and this is the best I've done at a 300+ person event.
Good Morning everybody. Looks like lots of events were had this weekend. Happy 25th, Z - hope you're still sleeping it off (or
that you bounced back like a champ).

I went to the Providence 5k also. It was my first larger-than-FNM since Ponder rotated. I think there were actually 279 people there, but still a good showing definitely. Congrats on placing 21st! Here's a quick breakdown of how I did.

I brought:
[deck]
4 Stromkirk Noble
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Burning Tree Emissary
4 Flinthoof Boar
2 Lightning Mauler
2 Pyreheart Wolf
2 Hellrider
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
2 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
4 Rancor
4 Stomping Ground
4 Rootbound Crag
2 Temple Garden
10 Mountain

Sideboard
3 Boros Reckoner
1 Pyreheart Wolf
1 Hellrider
3 Flames of the Firebrand
3 Volcanic Strength
2 Traitorous Blood
2 Mizzium Mortars
[/deck]
279, 300 , whos counting =P

Good to see you had a fun time there and did pretty solid.

I played pretty much the exact same field as you did, my losses came against my friends Naya Blitz and then a Reaniamtor deck I let get away game 1.
Burn baby burn!

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:24 pm

I actually made that same comparison a LONG time ago when the card was spoiled. From a versatility spectrum, it's the red cryptic. The problem with it in standard so far at least is that it's too mana intensive for the affects.

Say you pay X=2 to ping two guys, tapping them. That's a 4 mana feeling of dread. Or really mana inefficient.

Crytpic can tap 10 guys for 4 mana.

And so on and so forth. Until you get into the 6 mana range, Aurelia's fury just gives you a bunch of overcosted mediocre cards. It's still a fine card because when you have 5 mediocre options, one of them is going to be perfect and you can always wait a couple turns till one of those options read: Win the Game.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:27 pm

Heres the deck I ran

3 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Champion of the Parish
4 Dryad Militant
2 Gideon, Champion of Justice
4 Knight of Glory
2 Precinct Captain
4 Restoration Angel
4 Silverblade Paladin
Creatures [31]

2 Faith's Shield
4 Searing Spear
Spells [6]

4 Clifftop Retreat
2 Mountain
11 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
2 Slayers' Stronghold
23 Land

Sideboard
2 Beckon Apparition
2 Boros Charm
1 Flames of the Firebrand
3 Nearheath Pilgrim
2 Nevermore
2 Oblivion Ring
1 Slayers' Stronghold
2 Blasphemous Act
Burn baby burn!

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:31 pm

I actually made that same comparison a LONG time ago when the card was spoiled. From a versatility spectrum, it's the red cryptic. The problem with it in standard so far at least is that it's too mana intensive for the affects.

Say you pay X=2 to ping two guys, tapping them. That's a 4 mana feeling of dread. Or really mana inefficient.

Crytpic can tap 10 guys for 4 mana.

And so on and so forth. Until you get into the 6 mana range, Aurelia's fury just gives you a bunch of overcosted mediocre cards. It's still a fine card because when you have 5 mediocre options, one of them is going to be perfect and you can always wait a couple turns till one of those options read: Win the Game.
Ding ding ding. Get this man a medal.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:33 pm

Ladies, settle down. We all know what the best card in the game is: redthirts's massive dick.

Oh wait, they haven't made it yet? You mean it would take an entire block to show it?

Nevermind. Argue on, kids. :)
Khaos brings up an excellent point: all this talk about Magic cards is really distracting all of you from telling me how big my cock is.

:no:

I think we should just agree to disagree so we can get back to the important stuff.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:35 pm

I may not be the funniest nigga in this thread, but I'll be damned if I don't know my magic theory.

Patrick chapin

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:37 pm

redthirst, look, I know you have a massive crank. I know you like to just let it do whatever it wants like it has a mind of its own. But the next time your penis breaks into my house and starts knocking over things and raiding my fridge for beer, we're gonna have some words.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:38 pm

Ladies, settle down.
I'd like to take a moment to point out that I am lightheartedly trolling Kaze. This smiley dictates my troll hat: :sherlock: .

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:42 pm

"Break in"... right.

:eyebrow:

I don't think it's considered breaking in when you leave the door open with a sign on it that reads:

Blue Moon here. redthirst's dick welcome.
:unibrow:

And you're hinding in the corner with a camera.
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

I love the D...

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:47 pm

I just ordered a GP Goblin Guide, a Judge Foil Lavamancer, and a foil Figure of Destiny. Makes me happy :)

Not as happy as the people receiving the FTV Nicol Bolas and Japanese foil Sarkhan the Mad better be.

/goesoverboardonbirthdaypresentsandslashtags

*obligatory redthirst's dick is awesome comment*

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:48 pm

Alex - it was just a joke :D

redthirst: ya got me. But the damn thing started drooling precum when it spied my entire case of beer.

Besides, I only waited to photograph the beast from my corner because it attacks anything with a pulse. I had to be stealthy. I'm going to send the pictures to Nat Geo, but first I'll just post it here...

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:50 pm

Who is that exceptionally large man in the picture?

I love the D...

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:50 pm

Mein Gott.

It's majestic.

And...triple-pronged?

(Love the Dune reference)

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:52 pm

I totally would have traded you my Goblin Guides, I have a full set from GP Orlando. :\

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:53 pm

I totally would have traded you my Goblin Guides, I have a full set from GP Orlando. :
It's cool, I only wanted 1. I also have like 0 stuff for trade, dumped my entire collection last week. Thanks though :)

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:54 pm

I didn't know redthirst's crank inspired Tremors.

Patrick chapin

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:55 pm

I'm assuming it also played a cameo on Beatle Juice as a Sandworm.

Patrick chapin

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Alex - it was just a joke :D

redthirst: ya got me. But the damn thing started drooling precum when it spied my entire case of beer.

Besides, I only waited to photograph the beast from my corner because it attacks anything with a pulse. I had to be stealthy. I'm going to send the pictures to Nat Geo, but first I'll just post it here...

And it was cold out that night, wasn't it?

Goodness gracious. No wonder North Korea is afraid of us.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:05 pm

The large man was my scare-cock. red's penis was not frightened at all by it.

edit: I can only imagine in my nightmares what actually would scare off RT's crank....

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:10 pm

After looking over the results of the SCG invitation, I've determined that the one constant is that Shaheen Soorani will top 8 with Esper Stoneblade and Esper walkers. I think this makes 3/4. After Wafo, he's probably the best authority on control decks.

Edit: Chapin.

Patrick chapin

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:22 pm

After looking over the results of the SCG invitation, I've determined that the one constant is that Shaheen Soorani will top 8 with Esper Stoneblade and Esper walkers. I think this makes 3/4. After Wafo, he's probably the best authority on control decks.

Edit: Chapin.
Wafo-Tapa frustrates me because he's a good player who is also good at being incredibly stupid. He's stubborn just for the sake of being stubborn. I used to feel this way about Brian Kibler too, but over the past couple of years he's shown that he can be a versatile player if he want to be.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:26 pm

He's also a terrible writer. I read the one article he wrote for SCG and it was like...worse then reading Brad Nelson. And I LOVE Wafo. I actually started playing his decks when I got into competitive magic.

Patrick chapin

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:32 pm

anyone wanna share that mono black vampires list mentioned a few pages back?

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:33 pm

Patrick chapin

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:34 pm

4th or 5th on the list. It should stick out seeing as it's the only deck running 25 swamps...

Patrick chapin

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:40 pm

He's also a terrible writer. I read the one article he wrote for SCG and it was like...worse then reading Brad Nelson. And I LOVE Wafo. I actually started playing his decks when I got into competitive magic.
Wafo-Tapa is my second favorite Magic player of all time because of his playstyle, (and also because he and I are both pretentious all-foil jerkoffs) second only to Caleb Durward because he and I are very like minded.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:14 pm

My favorites are Saito, and Wafo. Two men, both masters of there archetype. Writing wise though, it's easily Chapin and PV. Best magic writers period. In other news, what seems well positioned now? Since I've fallen in love with a deck(the Aristocrats), I haven't been actively looking for angles to shoot from which is rare for me since I normal prefer brewing decks.

Patrick chapin

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:17 pm

Give my deck a try, it's certainly coming from an angle that is both well positioned and unexpected.

Tharkun
Newcomer

Postby Tharkun » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:56 pm

Recently I ran a 20 land R/g aggro deck that I was experimenting with, all land produced red mana and I ran the 8 R/G lands. The curve topped at 3 hellriders and I ran 0 boros reckoners. The SB had my pyreheart wolves and I ran 3 legion loyalists to bump up one drops to 11. My only green mana used is on 4 GCR, and 4 Flinthoof Boar. The 2 drop count is 12. The burn package is only 4 searing spear, 2 pillar of flame. Rancor is in the SB.

With my local meta making a big midrange push except for a G/r gruul deck and some naya blitz I did very well. I went 4-1 for the night with a field of 22 players. I didn't face either reanimator variant (junk or human) as those players had bad matchups in the first rounds.

What surprised me is how well legion loyalist worked. With BTE it is easy to get battalion. And the FS/Trample combination means instant burn is wonderous for just enough points to make blockers go away. I am
strongly considering Electrickery now. It seems like such a janky card but it also has surprising depth. I didn't feel the lack of Reckoner at all. For this type of deck Reckoner is a bit slow. I faced Reckoner but I just let him kill something, FS/Trample meant I only had a 1-1 trade with him, it wasn't 2-1.

It was odd and I will continue. None of my opponents expected to face this deck and the surprise helped me considerably. I don't think this weeks FNM will be as unprepared.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:09 am

Another example of UWr players being douchebags? Color me surprised.

@Johnny_Spike, I don't know about the DIFFERENCES between rule sets, but I know that trigger rules officially are basically this now:
Nothing has to be declared until a decision has to be made or ti ACTIVELY affects the board state.

So, being indestructible doesn't affect the board state until you try to spear something and they move their card to the GY or they declare indestructible.

Examples:
You attack with Pyreheart wolf. You don't have declare the trigger UNTIL they try to make illegal blocks.
You attack with Firefist striker battalion: You must immediately declare the trigger because it affects the board state in declare blockers (who can't block until rest of turn?)
You
cast a instant with Guttersnipe on the board, you IMMEDIATELY must call the trigger because it is "as you cast" and affects the board state because it deals damage to life totals, you have to do this before resolving the spell you cast or it is missed.
So they're giving us the ability to be deceitful scum bags if we want a competitive advantage. Am I the only one that want the old, old rules back? This seem like the worst thing they could do. It rewards unsportsmanlike conduct and will harm us as a community (competitive players). All it takes is one bad experience at an event for a casual play to say' "Fuck this. These guys are douche bags." This will hurt more than help.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:16 am

I find it odd that Legions battalion allowed you to 1-for-1 reckoner. Your opponents probably misplayed. If say you attack with Legion Loyalist, BTE and Flinterhoof Boar, I can block BTE, trigger the first strike damage at loyalist, and then have reckoner kill BTE in combat causing you to 0-for-2 yourself assuming no burn is involved.

@Johnny, I like the new rules because I hate playing the game for my opponent. It was very annoying keeping track of my oppoennts triggers for them and losing the game because of it. This way, everyone merely has to pay attention and the only way you get punished is if you miss something on board. Which is fair imo.

While I don't mind announcing my KoI triggers, I hate having to remind my opponent of there whatever trigger. Now, I just attack with my Knight and it says on the card exalted. I have no sympathy for people who fail to RTFC.

Patrick chapin

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:38 am

Hey redbros, I was wondering something. I've been playing for only a couple years now, so I don't really have a plethora of cards from several sets and first printings of a bunch of things. Anyway, I was wondering how everyone else manages their shocklands/duallands and the like. I generally only have about four sets at one time - two for each category (like, right now, I have 4 Clifftop Retreat and 4 Sacred Foundry in my possession for R/W, as well as 4 Breeding Pool and 4 Hinterland Harbor for U/G.)

When I need a different set, I generally just trade four shocklands for four other ones. This gives me issues in that I can generally only have one or two decks put together and ready to go at max, and when I need a set in a hurry, I tend to make hasty decisions and sometimes come out with the lesser end of the deal as far as
trades go.

What would be a more efficient way of managing this sort of thing, short of just buying all of them?

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:43 am

@Kaze: If you want the ability to build any given color deck at any given time, the best thing to do is buy new lands as soon as they come out. If you'll notice, the prices for every dual land in recent years have risen over time rather than falling (With the exception of the core lands, which were reprinted to death). Good, niche duals are always a strong investment, especially now that modern is around.

However, being currently unwilling to invest money in magic, I just borrow. But that's what I used to do, just buy them straight out of the gates. Currently, your best bet is to wait until the first few weeks of DGM and see what you can pick up with trades there. Let the influx of new lands settle the market a little, and then start to pick them up. It is currently a bad time to buy. Notice the difference in price between the beginning of Gatecrash and now.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:00 am

Agree with Helios on everything.

Also, just watched both Game of Thrones episodes of this season. Still good.

Patrick chapin

Return to “Fires of Salvation”