[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Alex
Not Even MAD
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Alex » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:42 pm

It's not mandatory, but it helps to have something to do with the extra time and testosterone.
I guess that's true. I didn't realize how involved this thing was, I just thought we weren't jerking it.

Granted I am both in shape and not jerking it, but then again I work from home so all I do all day is work, clean, and work out.
Gym, tanning, laundry?
I mostly sit at the gym across
from my mother's house and watch streams and video archives of coverage from the weekend prior on my ipad while doing cardio.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:43 pm

@Alex: Seems like the way to go. What do you do?
Independantly wealthy.

His father is a king, you know.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:47 pm

Independantly wealthy.

Of course, how could I forget?

Forgive me, your highness.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Independantly wealthy.

Of course, how could I forget?

Forgive me, your highness.
In all seriousnes I am an editor at Starcity and an "extreme couponer."

Redthirst is almost right though, I had a lot of money saved up from being Prince Eric so I am mostly just taking it easy
right now. My mom had really severe rheumatoid arthritis and is wheelchair bound, so I kind of just dropped everything to come take care of her. She owns her house and her social security totally covers her medical bills as long as she doesn't need in-home care. So me being here to take care of her is letting us live pretty comfortably, at least until she is back up on her feet.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:52 pm

Ham Challenge wise, I'm...fuck it, I jerked it this morning, So, Day Zero for me.

Work has been going pretty well. I dunno if I ever mentioned it, but I work for Sam's Club. I'm the Cafe team leader. Since I took the job in November,I've transformed it into one of the cleanest and most productive Cafes in the market. Recently, the other areas of Fresh Department in the Club, such as Bakery and Meat Department, have been extremely short-handed and lack Team Leaders. Therefore, I've been picking up the slack in those areas by working the Meat Department truck and handling the Bakery truck orders. Needless to say, I've been pretty worn out physically since the Meat truck consists of 8-10 pallets of 95 pound cases of meat that I have to stock and rotate in a 35 degree cooler. I haven't had to work out lately because I've been getting my exercise at the job.

Because of all this, they gave me Associate of the Month on
the same day we had a huge corporate walk-through. After my Cafe passed with flying colors (a very rare occurrence for any store), everything's been coming up great. They told me yesterday that they want to fly me out to Arkansas for some big week long corporate shindig that involves some shareholder meeting, concerts, free loot, and a tour of the Home Office, and Sam Walton' first 5&10 store that's been converted into some eerie shrine. They only send one person from each store to this so it's kind of a big deal in the Sam's Club/Wal-Mart thing. The best part? I get paid for all of this. Apparently they want me to move up in the company.

School work has been shitty though. Right now I'm trying to write a 4 page essay (sober) on the Reformation and how Martin Luther just waved a fat fucking middle finger to the Church. That's my kind of dude right there! At least, he was pretty cool until he lived long enough to see himself become the villain. Somehow he became a major Jew hater towards the end
of his life. Apparently, his last book, "Of the Jews and Their Lies," became one of Hitler's favorite bathroom reading material...

Magic has been kind of on the backburner for the moment. Kat and I have been working things out and I'm making sure she doesn't take a back seat to Magic. Somehow though, EDH has been a little bit more appealing to me in the last week - this is nothing new though because I seem to do this every couple of months only to come back to Standard refreshed.

That's about it for now.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Sweet deal, Alex. Sounds like a good gig...may hit you up next year when I'm job hunting :)

@Khaos: Fuckin congrats man! That's awesome.

Just to be clear, the congrats are for the jerking...

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks, Helios.

As for the jerking, I may have thought about redthirst once or twice. Totally no homo, though.

Also, I saw the Evil Dead on Saturday. Dunno if I mentioned that yet. It was pretty good but don't expect the story or characters to be like the original. If I wasn't sitting next to 3 of my buddies making dick and fart jokes the whole time (a la Mystery Science Theater 3000) I'm pretty sure I would've been scared at some of the parts.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:05 pm

It's fine. I think about me too.

Also, congrats on the work thing - very cool.
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

I love the D...

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:06 pm

I don't like scary movies...

Does that make me a bitch?

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:08 pm

It doesn't help...

I love the D...

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:17 pm

I don't like scary movies...

Does that make me a bitch?
If it is because they scare you......yeah.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:20 pm

@khaos — Congratulations! That's pretty awesome. Recognition for hard work goes a long way.

Here's a good article on tilt in Magic and improving as a player.
http://www.channelfireball.com/home/your-inner-monster/

@Tubehunter — Watch Cabin in the Woods. You'll never look at another horror movie the same way.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:37 pm

@khaos — Congratulations! That's pretty awesome. Recognition for hard work goes a long way.

Here's a good article on tilt in Magic and improving as a player.
http://www.channelfireball.com/home/your-inner-monster/

@Tubehunter — Watch Cabin in the Woods. You'll never look at another horror movie the same way.
That was a pretty good article. Funnily enough, Jackie Lee wrote an article on tilt recently as well.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:47 pm

I like how Magic players are just starting to realize the things that poker players have known for a while. Tilt, variance, etc. Why hasn't someone just gone through the poker theory and written something comprehensive?

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:57 pm

That tilt article was a good read.
Sig by NBW

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:59 pm

I think the community is just waiting for us to fill up the games theory area with content.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:02 pm

Sounds like a worthy challenge.

But I'm lazy.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:04 pm

I think the community is just waiting for us to fill up the games theory area with content.
Is it up? I haven't seen it...

I love the D...

Colonel Nohman
Newcomer

Postby Colonel Nohman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:09 pm

Day 59 redbros. How's everyone else doing with their personal goals? Fitness, magic, career, etc.
Everything's ok here.

University is boring as always, especially because I have lessons during the same time there are tournaments at my LGS. About fitness, I'm getting results at last. My desease to stomach+diet+exercises is a powerful combination.

Magic is much better: I'm gonna realize my dream to play Jund in Modern. And Saturday I'll try to do well to Grand Prix Trial - Gothenburg 2013. I still don't know what deck I'll take, but I guess I'll take the deck that I've played and suit me the best.
(Thanks to Sioux for the awesome signature)

Current decks:

Vintage: Megrim
Legacy: B/W Control
Standard: Wolf Run Bant 2.0
Modern: Jund Midrange

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:19 pm

Random thought of the day:

I want to play hatebears, so that every time my opponent does something, I can say "Hatebear don't care."

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:22 pm

In all seriousnes I am an editor at Starcity and an "extreme couponer."

Redthirst is almost right though, I had a lot of money saved up from being Prince Eric so I am mostly just taking it easy right now. My mom had really severe rheumatoid arthritis and is wheelchair bound, so I kind of just dropped everything to come take care of her. She owns her house and her social security totally covers her medical bills as long as she doesn't need in-home care. So me being here to take care of her is letting us live pretty comfortably, at least until she is back up on her feet.
My wife and I like to coupon but we are by no means extreme. We might save 50% on our bill but saving more is a rarity and usually 60-65%.

That's a cool thing for you to do regarding your mother.
Ham Challenge wise, I'm...fuck it, I jerked it this
morning, So, Day Zero for me.

Work has been going pretty well. I dunno if I ever mentioned it, but I work for Sam's Club. I'm the Cafe team leader. Since I took the job in November,I've transformed it into one of the cleanest and most productive Cafes in the market. Recently, the other areas of Fresh Department in the Club, such as Bakery and Meat Department, have been extremely short-handed and lack Team Leaders. Therefore, I've been picking up the slack in those areas by working the Meat Department truck and handling the Bakery truck orders. Needless to say, I've been pretty worn out physically since the Meat truck consists of 8-10 pallets of 95 pound cases of meat that I have to stock and rotate in a 35 degree cooler. I haven't had to work out lately because I've been getting my exercise at the job.

Because of all this, they gave me Associate of the Month on the same day we had a huge corporate walk-through. After my Cafe passed with flying colors (a very rare occurrence for any store),
everything's been coming up great. They told me yesterday that they want to fly me out to Arkansas for some big week long corporate shindig that involves some shareholder meeting, concerts, free loot, and a tour of the Home Office, and Sam Walton' first 5&10 store that's been converted into some eerie shrine. They only send one person from each store to this so it's kind of a big deal in the Sam's Club/Wal-Mart thing. The best part? I get paid for all of this. Apparently they want me to move up in the company.

School work has been shitty though. Right now I'm trying to write a 4 page essay (sober) on the Reformation and how Martin Luther just waved a fat fucking middle finger to the Church. That's my kind of dude right there! At least, he was pretty cool until he lived long enough to see himself become the villain. Somehow he became a major Jew hater towards the end of his life. Apparently, his last book, "Of the Jews and Their Lies," became one of Hitler's favorite bathroom reading
material...

Magic has been kind of on the backburner for the moment. Kat and I have been working things out and I'm making sure she doesn't take a back seat to Magic. Somehow though, EDH has been a little bit more appealing to me in the last week - this is nothing new though because I seem to do this every couple of months only to come back to Standard refreshed.

That's about it for now.
I love Sam's Club. I've heard a lot of stories of people working their way up the ranks in Wal-Mart/Sams Club's though. Apparently you can make a VERY comfortable living if you get a position like regional manager or something.
I like how Magic players are just starting to realize the things that poker players have known for a while. Tilt, variance, etc. Why hasn't someone just gone through the poker theory and written something comprehensive?
Yeah, I played poker a lot in college but never got too serious about it. I find myself
applying a lot of what I learned in poker to Magic, particularly odds and avoiding tilting. I still tilt from time to time, but not as often as a lot of others. That's something that is very hard to beat.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:23 pm

I want to play hatebears, so that every time my opponent does something, I can say "Hatebear don't care."
If you're going to pick that line up you might as well rename the deck the Honey Badger.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:27 pm

Challenge: Create a new archetype, name it Honey Badger, win tournaments.

I mean, we named Dos Rakis.

30 Boros Reckoner
6 Rancor
20 Lands

Go.

(I don't need 60 cards. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.)
Last edited by Helios on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:45 pm

I have a knack for opposing anything that is bad information.
That's like comparing apples and hand grenades.
Point taken.

Point taken.

Excuse me while I gut myself.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:37 pm

My current standing in life is that I can't tell if I'm funnier when I'm sick, or if I just think I am.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:43 pm

Point taken.

Point taken.

I just want to make sure that you know that I've got nothing against you personally. I just don't even attempt to sugar coat any criticism I give. I assume you joined FoS for comradeship and to grow as a player. Just
trying to help.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:14 pm

Finished my essay on the Reformation. Y'know, aside from the Jew-hatin' towards the end of his life, Martin Luther was kind of a bad ass. Think of the Catholic Church as MTGS and Martin Luther as Dane. It was like that. I even ended my essay with, "One thing was for sure – the Church’s iron grip on society needed to be relaxed. The time was right for somebody to slay the giant. That man was Martin Luther, the man with the world’s biggest middle finger."

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:32 pm

Life is going okay. I got some debt it's going to take me the rest of the year to get out of, most of it from me being stupid in way or another. I'm failing hard at the ham challenge. I wanted to do it, but I don't know what happened but I've really enjoyed jerking off the last week. I'm trying to eat better and exercise and take short walks on my lunch break as I work towards slowly getting my ass in shape. Things aren't perfect but I'm trying to be positive and upbeat and so far I feel pretty good most days. Just happy to be working again.

Also thinking of how to best go about adding to my magic collection since again I've only been back less than 2 months. I guess the real problem is I'm not sure what deck I want to be playing, and if I can I want to avoid shit that will rotate in the fall and focus on things that will around awhile. I don't want to play gimped decks because I lack cards once rotation hits.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:49 pm

Pick up RTR stuff now then, while it's in a slump. Because that mess is all going up when Theros rotates in.

Also, the idiocy of people on MTGS hurts my soul. I mean, a guy made a post saying "There are probably 20 split cards because of X reason," and then went on to say that "X reason is unlikely." And "First Strike and Deathtouch is good, but it won't survive some of the bigger creatures in standard."

First strike. And Deathtouch.

What creature is he expecting it to be killed by?

Saying 4 isn't so hot because of Mortars is one thing, but at least that makes sense.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:03 am

Life is going okay. I got some debt it's going to take me the rest of the year to get out of, most of it from me being stupid in way or another. I'm failing hard at the ham challenge. I wanted to do it, but I don't know what happened but I've really enjoyed jerking off the last week. I'm trying to eat better and exercise and take short walks on my lunch break as I work towards slowly getting my ass in shape. Things aren't perfect but I'm trying to be positive and upbeat and so far I feel pretty good most days. Just happy to be working again.

Also thinking of how to best go about adding to my magic collection since again I've only been back less than 2 months. I guess the real problem is I'm not sure what deck I want to be playing, and if I can I want to avoid
shit that will rotate in the fall and focus on things that will around awhile. I don't want to play gimped decks because I lack cards once rotation hits.
Don't worry so much about rotation. Find a deck style and play with what you like. You need to develop a feel for how that style of deck plays. If you can, borrow cards.

Plus, wait until Dragon's Maze and pick up shocklands, any shocklands really. They will retain their usefulness for another year and a half, and they make for good trade stuff.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:07 am

If you're a good player, you can assemble a good deck and win back enough store credit to pay for the deck. Assuming you can play often enough.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:18 am

You could always just play that vampires list. I think the only money card in the whole list is like Vampire Nocturnus? And even then he's only like three bucks.

Deck also plays all basic swamps. So there's that.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:34 am

I got a free thragtusk from top 4ing with Naya Blitz. I top 8'd last week with Jund aggro but couldn't get it done to advance to top 4 (needed to split store credit/packs). So I think I'm getting there. Just wondering if I should say get 3 more thragtusks and a set of Resto's and go from there, or just get a set of Sphinx Revalation and Deathrite Shaman before that shit gets more expensive and then pick up whatever I need when I see a decklist I like. And yeah I'm waiting to get anymore shocks until DGM comes out since I'll go to at least one pre-release and buy a box or two (I think I can get a box from my LGS for $90 with no tax so if I can not too bad). Figure as long as I'm playing getting a box of each set at least gets me all the commons/uncommons I need plus a headstart on some of the rares.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:47 am

Point taken.

Point taken.

I just want to make sure that you know that I've got
nothing against you personally. I just don't even attempt to sugar coat any criticism I give. I assume you joined FoS for comradeship and to grow as a player. Just trying to help.
Of course, I am quite aware that I've been playing for not quite as long as most of you and am probably an overall bad player, it just frustrates me that I can't ever seem to contribute anything and everything I say just sounds so stupid. I love being around here for the people and the discussion, but when it comes to actual MTG I basically just sit here watching everybody else be awesome. Meh. I suck at this game.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:55 am

Kaze, please don't do that. Men don't feel sorry for themselves, they find what they're doing wrong and fix it. It happens much more quickly when that man has other skilled men to spend time with and learn from.

Speedbump
Newcomer

Postby Speedbump » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:58 am

Day 59 redbros. How's everyone else doing with their personal goals? Fitness, magic, career, etc.
Day 0. Some days you win, some days, your gf leaves for work at 7am.
Magic is going alright. I'm trying to brew UW/UWg Hatebears, with help from much better Magic players in the clan.
Started running again yesterday, for the first time in a year. I'm probably 10kg heavier than I would like to be. Once I can easily run 2km without stopping, I'll increase it to 3.5km, then 5km. If I can casually do a 5km run in under 30 minutes, I'll be happy. I aim to get there in 6 weeks. (5'9"/181lbs atm, would like to be 155-160lbs)
Work is a drag. I work in Dick Smith in the Melbourne CBD (electronics store, TV/phones/radios/mobiles/computers
instead of components.), but I'm looking for another job. Not enough hours, caustic work environment, and is effectively a job I took for the team when I moved to Australia from New Zealand. At least my gf managed to get herself a decent job though. It means that I can drop the Dick Smith job, and hopefully land me a job as a trainee Lab Technician.

Hatebears in Modern, or Hatebears in Legacy? Similar creature base for both, but the mana base is pricier for Legacy. If you're interested in Modern Hatebears, I'd appreciate your help in brewing a solid decklist, and/or testing it.

@Platypus: Burn seems ok in the meta you have. If the meta swings slightly more controlish, it won't
be favourable. I will explain via PM, or via a new post here.
Scrubbiest Scrub of FoS.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:59 am

Kaze, please don't do that. Men don't feel sorry for themselves, they find what they're doing wrong and fix it. It happens much more quickly when that man has other skilled men to spend time with and learn from.
I was going to make a "Well, just man up and take it on the chin" post, but I got Hamfactorial'd.™

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:04 am

I was going to make a "Well, just man up and take it on the chin" post, but I got Hamfactorial'd.™
The factorial gonna get ya!

Dane

Postby Dane » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:04 am

That's like comparing apples
and hand grenades.
Point taken.

Point taken.

I just want to make sure that you know that I've got nothing against you personally. I just don't even attempt to sugar coat any criticism I give. I assume you joined FoS for comradeship and to grow as a player. Just trying to help.
Of course, I am quite aware that I've been playing for not quite as long as most of you and am probably an overall bad player, it just frustrates me that I can't ever seem to contribute anything and everything I say just sounds so stupid. I love being around here for the people and the discussion, but when it comes to actual MTG I basically just sit here watching everybody else be awesome. Meh. I suck at this game.
Dude...you and me both.

I'm just SO attracted to jank and timmy stuff.
I'm just amazed by how dumb you can consistently pretend to be.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:14 am

In fairness to Kaze and anyone who might feel like him, the more senior members (me especially) haven't been doing a lot of streaming lately, so there's not a lot to learn from.

I feel a bit remiss in my duties, I really should be keeping better track of standard. I got very distracted by my breakup and dropped a lot of things while I was in panic mode.

Return to “Fires of Salvation”