[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

redthirst
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby redthirst » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:27 pm

Not really - I just think he gives the deck the option to "Go Big" without actually having to play big creatures in the deck or commiting any more resources to the board (well, none that you actually care about, anyway).

It's just more options.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Colonel Nohman
Newcomer

Postby Colonel Nohman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:17 pm

Real simple trial deck to test the viability of the new guys:

[deck]Creatures: 27
4 Gravecrawler
4 Diregraf Ghoul
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Lotleth Troll
4 Blood Scrivener
4 Geralf's Messenger
3 Varloz, the Scar-Striped

Spells: 11
4 Tragic Slip
4 Rancor
3 Abrupt Decay

Lands: 22
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Woodland Cemetery
2 Golgari Guildgate
4 Cavern of Souls
8 Swamp[/deck]

I think I'll proxy this up and test it out tomorrow to see how it plays. Any feedback from just looking at the list before I do?
Nice dick -I mean deck, no homo- redthirst. Personally I don't like guildgate, but it's true also that I'm not the best talking about manabase.
(Thanks to Sioux for the awesome signature)

Current decks:

Vintage: Megrim
Legacy: B/W Control
Standard: Wolf Run Bant 2.0
Modern: Jund Midrange

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:20 pm

I don't love them either, but I figure if I'm going to run 7 G non-creature spells then I should probably run at least 10 sources of G mana.

And I'm not running Forests in a deck with Messengers.
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

I love the D...

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:26 pm

Hey guys, I have a few very noobish, uneducated thoughts to share with you!
I think I'm in the wrong mindset when looking at these spoilers this time around. Instead of you guys, who thoughtfully analyze and build decks around some of the coolest cards we've seen, I go through a simple-minded process of looking at a card, realizing I can't play it in Standard mono-red aggro, letting out a sigh of disappointment, then re-reading the effect and thinking "oh. That's neat."
I like the concept of the Golgari list you guys brewed up. Not sure how strong it really is, but I love how much synergy is in it.
Speaking from a casual, kitchen table Magic standpoint (I've been playing a lot more with my neighbors, who have never been to a Standard FNM in their lives), the Champions seem really fun (excepting Lavina, who can go suck on a Rakdos). In fact, they seem to have printed a lot of cards that, while not Standard
playable, can really tear shit up in a casual game. Anyone else feel this way? The effects just seem so creative this time around.
I think there is some really cool synergy in RUG colors. Maybe not enough to make a competitive deck out of, but it is there. Most of it comes just from the Simic colors(Vorel, Bred for the Hunt, as well as some stuff from GTC and M13 that I had in my mind less than 45 seconds but can't think of anymore), but I really like red. Also, these thoughts were inspired by viewing the spoilers right after seeing the list Fate came up with, so maybe that's where the thought of red comes from. It probably won't work, just a thought I had. I feel like a lot of the cards would work in Animar EDH, though.
I hope I don't come off as too stupid, but It definitely felt like that as I was coming up with it. My mind hasn't been on competitive magic lately, though, and seeing these spoilers has kind of brought back a bunch of giddy MTG noob thoughts that I had when I was doing this
same thing for AVR spoilers a year ago about a week after buying my first cards in over 8 years.
Sig by NBW.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:29 pm

We're only like 1/3 of the way through the spoilers so don't worry - I'm sure we'll get some :symr: lovin'.

I love the D...

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:36 pm

We're only like 1/3 of the way through the spoilers so don't worry - I'm sure we'll get some :symr: lovin'.
Yeah, remember that Boros Reckoner was revealed late in the Gatecrash spoiler season.

I'm waiting for some sweet mono-black stuff myself, like a good removal spell or Drain Life effect...won't happen until M14 though, I guess.
Sig by NBW

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:36 pm

We'd better. Or else you'll have to unleash your crank on them.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:43 pm

so taking cagebreakers out in the side because they are slow and ugly and throwing in Hellriders. Also adding Zealous Conscripts which is awesome with Rubblebelt raiders

Hellriders 1-1 trade with Raiders against control. I found hitting 2 red sources pretty easy, also Borderland ranger is awesome, he finds mountains for flinthoot boars.

The deck can be slow and theres a lot of decision trees, but its interesting so far and doesn't fold to an Angel of serenity so I like that about it.

Also getting to play Raiders period is tech in my meta at least
Last edited by Link on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:50 pm

Would it get a +1/+1 counter?
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Colonel Nohman
Newcomer

Postby Colonel Nohman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:52 pm

I don't love them either, but I figure if I'm going to run 7 G non-creature spells then I should probably run at least 10 sources of G mana.

Seems legit. As a 2x, we hope that they won't come up often.

Also: anyone has experienced modern post the ban of Seething Song and BBE?

Current decks:

Aesnath
Newcomer

Postby Aesnath » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:54 pm

Would it get a +1/+1 counter?
Yes, but then it couldn't block--not that it wants to.

Locally we've been messing with it--storm's gone, control is better, but midrange is still everywhere.

Colonel Nohman
Newcomer

Postby Colonel Nohman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:03 pm

Locally we've been messing with it--storm's gone, control is better, but midrange is still everywhere.
I can see. I'm really looking for feedback, I'm back in modern and I'
d like to see if any new archtype has risen. Right now I've seen the super-annoying Eggs and U/W/R Midrange. The only thing that I don't like in that deck is Geist, thanks to the experience with Bant Auras.

Current decks:

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Just saw this combo for Modern: Varloz + [card]Death's Shadow[/card].
Sig by NBW

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Ben Bleweiss called Sire of Insanity a bulk rare. Oh, lol.

Aesnath
Newcomer

Postby Aesnath » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Just saw this combo for Modern: Varloz + [card]Death's Shadow[/card].
Hmm, it seems to be creeping towards $5--might be time to unload mine. I think I know some casual players who would like this synergy.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:10 am

Well, Showstopper seems like an absolutely bonkers card, especially at uncommon.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:22 am

Well, Showstopper seems like an absolutely bonkers card, especially at uncommon.
...It only deals damage to creatures? I'm not getting it. Let's you 2-for-1 yourself quite nicely. Seems like a trap to me.

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:34 am

It can deal damage to players and you don't have to sac your creature. However, your opponent can respond to it by killing your creature.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:59 am

...It only deals damage to creatures? I'm not getting it. Let's you 2-for-1 yourself quite nicely. Seems like a trap to me.
It has a place in a sacrifice deck. As I posted last night, in a standard zombie build it becomes 2 points of creature damage for every :symb: ; if you're going full sac theme with Blood Artist, tack on a 2 point life swing for each creature killed by the crawler machine gun.
You have to keep in mind that with Rakdos (and even more Golgari), things don't necessarily stay dead... :D
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:02 am

This is exactly the type of card Aristocrats wants to be playing.

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:21 am

Derp, I was thinking of a completely different card. Don't mind me.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:14 am

Seems like a good sideboard card for creature mirrors out of aristocrats. The fact that it's an instant instead of an enchantment sort of sucks, but it's still a nice combat trick. Also probably BONKERS in limited.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Aesnath
Newcomer

Postby Aesnath » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 am

Yeah, I'm not seeing it on showstopper; only dealing damage to creatures seems very limiting. I guess it could work as a one-sided board sweep, but only with a strong set up.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:43 am

SO I got back from playing Rubblebelt raiders.dec:

1. Beat Jund Aggro 2-1, won the dice roll, beat him down with a rancor'd loyalist G1. G2 got overrun too fast. G3, blocked with my raiders like a fool, it got bloodrushed. Then two arbor elves= Overload mizzium mortars t4. He plays a lone mogg flunkies after that. I soulbound a Rampager and Silverheart, abrupt decay can't touch it. GG

2. Beat GW aggro 2-0. Funnily enough we played the exact same spells G1. I saw no red, played a strangleroot geist with a rancor soulbound to a silverheart, he played one as well. He soulbound a silverheart though and blocked my 2/3 gyre sage instead of my rancor'd geist so...

Game 2 he was playing 18 lands and didn't find them with his high curve. Was a greedy deck? He had 8 mana dorks so it could've worked except when all he had was dorks with rancor hats...

3. Bantchantments. 0-2 so this guy was playing a deck that raced p.
fast... oh well.

4. Junk rites 2-0. DESTROYED this guy. Got my Raiders engine going and I didn't really care about how many times he played thragtusk because 18/16 raiders PRETTY good. This was why I made this deck and it worked beautifully. The funny part was he was complaining about MY deck after having a 3 thragtusk hand G1. YEAH OK BUDDY.

Ending up placing first because the jund aggro guy beat a bunch of other people. The meta was INCREDIBLY more aggro than it was last week (5 decks vs... just mine last time?), so I definitely can't get away with it by then.

Will go back to playing R/g with Reckoners and the one B. act in the main 1 in the side I saw in some lists, that combo seems pretty good still.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:48 am

Seems like a good sideboard card for creature mirrors out of aristocrats. The fact that it's an instant instead of an enchantment sort of sucks, but it's still a nice combat trick. Also probably BONKERS in limited.
I can honestly see why it isn't an enchantment, though. There are so many shenanigans to be had with stuff like Grave Pact in Commander.
Yeah, I'm not seeing it on showstopper; only dealing damage to creatures seems very limiting. I guess it could work as a one-sided board sweep, but only with a strong set up.
That's the point,
though. Aristocrats has that setup already. It's basically playing a spell that already plays into something you were doing anyway, but adding more value.
Last edited by Alex on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:50 am

It still seems like a very niche card to me; like Alex said, makes sense in the Aristocrats, and maybe in Zombies, but it still doesn't seem super strong. Just decent.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:51 am

So, I bought a pack on a whim and cracked a Griselbrand. People still use him, right? I need some trade binder fodder.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:51 am

It still seems like a very niche card to me; like Alex said, makes sense in the Aristocrats, and maybe in Zombies, but it still doesn't seem super strong. Just decent.
Oh yeah no it isn't good in a vacuum.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:09 am

So, I bought a pack on a whim and cracked a Griselbrand. People still use him, right? I need some trade binder fodder.
I just wish he didn't eat it to Ultimate Price.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:24 am

Good thing there's always legacy.

Also, apparently playing Jund makes me feel better. Something satisfying about miracle bonfires, Rakdos's Returning people's hands into oblivion and watching people concede when you resolve Olivia.

Reid was right, if they nut draw, they win, if they don't Jund rapes them.

Patrick chapin

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:32 am

I think I'm going to order some stuff tonight. Get Sphinx's before they get even more crazy and finally get tusks, resto's and Reckoners. How is Naya midrange? I have the land base and the huntmasters.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:39 am

Good thing there's always legacy.

Also, apparently playing Jund makes me feel better. Something satisfying about miracle bonfires, Rakdos's Returning people's hands into oblivion and watching people concede when you resolve Olivia.

Reid was right, if they nut draw, they win, if they don't Jund rapes them.

iunno

I feel like only if THEY nutdraw a bonfire miracle (or 3 thragtusk hands) do I get raped, otherwise any decent, playable aggro hand crushes jund.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:44 am

When I play jund, I feel like I have lots of control over how matches play out assuming I'm not nutdrawn. The only matchup that feels terrible is Naya Blitz because the only way that deck wins is nutdrawing. Against regular agro decks aside from the aristocrats, I can usually navigate my way through a match till I can stabilize with thrag and let my big spells take over.

Patrick chapin

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:46 am

When I play Jund, I feel smart because I can identify the most expensive card in my hand, then tap mana to cast it. Not everyone can do that!
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:46 am

@Dodger: Naya midrange is a fine deck. It's VERY customizable so the whole naya midrange archetype is misleading as the there are many wildly different builds. I liked the Gyre Sage naya decks and I think whatever flavor of naya you run, it should contain lots of Loxodon smiters.

Patrick chapin

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:59 am

Is Kanye West not the most brilliant music producer? Been listening to his music all day.

Patrick chapin

Sasky
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sasky » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:15 am

He is a staple for my (and others') legacy deck!

Calamity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Calamity » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:23 am

Voice of Resurgence oh my god
Official Firebat of FoS

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:26 am

Is Kanye West not the most brilliant music producer? Been listening to his music all day.
I love MBDTF but the mastering is terrible on that album. Clipping and distortion all over. Bleh!

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:35 am

I thought the sound was amazing on that album. That's actually the majority of what I've been listening to today. That, watch the throne, and Late Registration with a college dropout song or two thrown in.

Patrick chapin

Return to “Fires of Salvation”