[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Alex
Not Even MAD
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Alex » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:39 pm

Even thinking about Legacy makes me want to cry. Ugh, it's been so long.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:48 pm

About sideboards...I've always had a hard time knowing what to swap between games. It's because I hardly ever play tournament decks between tournaments, so I have to figure stuff out during the match. I thought about trying the Faeries against Goyfs etc, but decided it's not worth it. And you're probably right about the Crypts as well. Relics are on my to-get-list, I need those for Modern as well. They might be the best alternative for me.

My main reason for Flamebreaks is the extra damage against Goyfs. But they hit 4 toughness quickly anyway, so it might not be worth it.

Figure of Destiny would work well. They would hardly ever hit 8/8 with my current land count, but 4/4 isn't impossible. So maybe two of those and drop one Hellspark and one Marauder. A fourth Sulfuric Vortex in the SB is something I'm considering as well.

And Flame Rifts, I haven't got those yet.
Sig by NBW

Aesnath
Newcomer

Postby Aesnath » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Yeah, stay away from the flambreaks against goyf--it will never kill it. You've just got to race the bastards; that's pretty much the solution to everything though.

I firmly feel that burn decks need either grim lavamancer or figure. They occupy the unique position of being useful early and late, as well as allowing you to utilize extra mana at the end of turns when games go long.

I should clarify that relics aren't necessarily better than crypts, 2 mana is 2 mana. Rather, it represents a viable option.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:03 pm

I think I'll try the fetches I got next time together with Searing Blazes instead of the Magma Jets, and a couple of Lavamancers. It's not optimal with just four fetches, but there's no harm in trying.
Sig by NBW

Aesnath
Newcomer

Postby Aesnath » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:08 pm

In my experience, you can do OK with as few as 6 fetches, but you certainly want more.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:23 pm

You guys are making me want to go play Legacy again. Do you know how much of a mistake that would be?

Life-ruining. Like Tammy & Ron Swanson bad. :scared:

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Also hey look, the cesspool is only JUST NOW catching up to me, idea-wise. :shrug:

I wonder how long until it takes them to figure out that Midnight Haunting is a good card. I'm betting on a few weeks, maybe months.
Last edited by Alex on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:35 pm

Platypus : why don't you try two Barbarian Rings out? Just take out two mountains.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Aesnath
Newcomer

Postby Aesnath » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:04 pm

Platypus : why don't you try two Barbarian Rings out? Just take out two mountains.
Excellent idea--I'm not a fan with the lavamancers, but without there's no reason not to.
You guys are making me want to go play Legacy again. Do you know how much of a mistake that would be?

Life-ruining. Like Tammy & Ron Swanson bad. :scared:
HA! We can only hope--it's entertaining from the sidelines.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:33 pm

No you don't understand, I will literally spend like eight hundred bucks at a time on duals. It's baaaaaaaaaaaad. Legacy is like meth, except worse because afterwards I'm left with an overwhelming feeling of regret. :scared:

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:21 am

No you don't understand, I will literally spend like eight hundred bucks at a time on duals. It's baaaaaaaaaaaad. Legacy is like meth, except worse because afterwards I'm left with an overwhelming feeling of regret. :scared:
Wait...so you don't regret the meth at all.

(Worth noting: I read 'meth' as 'math' the first time. Which made it pretty damn funny)

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:28 am

Meth is a helluva drug.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:36 am

So the FNM shop I went to actually ended up being a mostly Yugioh store. Resultantly, I didn't end up buying any cards and I just chatted with the 7 players that showed up for magic and giving the guy who won the tourney(boros humans player) advice between rounds on how to board. He was worried about playing against a BUG midrange player because apparently that guy has no budget and actually had all the cards he needed for his deck. My response?

"Your deck has boros charm and hellrider bro. Just kill him."

Everyone was cool though and they directed me to the big shop for next week. So hopefully, I'll be actually playing FNM downtown next week. I spent the rest of the night looking for a place to get a drink and defaulted to the bar at the building I used to work in. I met an...older woman who's son was apparently my age and seduced her and her friend into buying me drinks. An hour later, we're making out,
but she decides she's not comfortable going further so she leaves, I stay around and actually eat some sushi and headed home at midnight.

I will say, that cougar was the best kisser I've ever met and was successful in helping me get over the other girl. I was legit sad about the way things ended and was moping, but I'm fully out of that funk now. Time to share my awesomeness with the rest of the world again.

Day 1 again.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:41 am

Wait...so you don't regret the meth at all.

(Worth noting: I read 'meth' as 'math' the first time. Which made it pretty damn funny)
Pfft, there's not time to regret
meth! You're too busy trying to find your next fi--shit, it's SO MUCH LIKE METH IT'S UNBELIEVABLE. :scared:

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:01 am

I will say, that cougar was the best kisser I've ever met and was successful in helping me get over the other girl. I was legit sad about the way things ended and was moping, but I'm fully out of that funk now. Time to share my awesomeness with the rest of the world again.
Glad to hear your out of the funk bro. That's always good news. Also, ain't nothin wrong with older women. There's a point where older becomes old, and then it gets weird.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:01 am

I've brought my Hypergeometric Distribution post over to the Games Theory section of the forum. Woo! Check it.

Day 63 of the Ham Challenge.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:33 am

Also hey look, the cesspool is only JUST NOW catching up to me, idea-wise. :shrug:

I wonder how long until it takes them to figure out that Midnight Haunting is a good card. I'm betting on a few weeks, maybe months.
Meh, I've discussed it before but no one on MTGS actually reads...so my bet is they never figure it out.

Like Frostburn Weird; called it during RTR spoilers, had it in the sideboard of my furst published list, but it was 'new' when Ari Lax used it three months later...

@ Fax. Damn you're good.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:54 am

So about the new and improved Mana Drain...interesting card.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:07 am

I think that's just like meth bro.

Come to think of it. I've spent almost $900 on mtg cards just to get back into standard since coming back. Maybe I should just play legacy. I could have had a set of goyfs and FoW's for that and then some.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:22 am

Yes, very neat. I think that it is actually fair to compare this to Mana Drain, even though it is double the cost. However, if its real, I'm more interested in the other Simic card spoiled with it. Clone with built in Followed Footsteps? Yes please. Gonna go straight into my Riku deck.
Sig by NBW.

Sasky
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sasky » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:30 am

Play Legacy! It is easily the most fun constructed format, and I've played literally every format.

I'm personally on omni-tell and b/w stoneblade, but don't get to play much because the players here are almost exclusively standard players. Damn fagtusk players, i wanna attack with my emrakul.

Aesnath
Newcomer

Postby Aesnath » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:33 am

Breeding pools are cheap--I'm picking them up just in case. If mana drain is in standard, I want to be a part of it.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:00 am

So, it looks like the B/S/T forum I asked for is going to have stipulations that, well, won't even allow me to use it for a good long while. Fucking really?

Well, in the meantime, would anybody be opposed to me posting a trade binder thread in the clan restricted section? I trust all you guys, I do believe. I want to play some Khaos Deck Wins before rotation and I'm missing some staples.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:22 am

Play Legacy! It is easily the most fun constructed format, and I've played literally every format.

I'm personally on omni-tell and b/w stoneblade, but don't get to play much because the players here are almost exclusively standard players. Damn fagtusk players, i wanna attack with my emrakul.
All of my accrued pro points are from playing Legacy. I kicked the habit during Zendikar-ish, and have been clean ever since. :sherlock:

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:36 am

I assume I'm a minority here, but I hate legacy. Any format where non-blue decks can't win, and turn one kills happen frequently is not fun to me. My last legacy event I played against storm, played T1 lavamancer and died before I could untap. There was no interaction and there was nothing I could do, but wait and extend the hand (not in a good way). I prefer modern, because it's a lot more affordable, and no T1 kills means you actually get to play magic. It's basically legacy, but without the stupidly expensive / broken cards.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:03 am

Non-blue decks win all the time in legacy. Johnny, you cray cray. Have a snickers.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:21 am

Non-blue decks win all the time in legacy. Johnny, you cray cray. Have a snickers.
Last GP, 12/16 of the top decks were blue...lol

I don't think a non- blue deck has ever won a GP.
Last edited by Lightning_Dolt on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Speedbump
Newcomer

Postby Speedbump » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:24 am

@Platypus: Sorry to hear about 1-3. I think that a lot of testing would have made it 3-1.

I'm thinking of setting up a deck testing area, so people can practise certain formats against other members. All we would have to do is to type what formats you play, as well as which decks in that format you can play or test.
Scrubbiest Scrub of FoS.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:42 am

Last GP, 12/16 of the top decks were blue...lol

I don't think a non- blue deck has ever won a GP.
Jund wins stuff all the time. Enchantress too. Even Birthing Pod.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:26 am

Well, I felt like making a new signature. So, I made a new signature.

Yep.

And goodnight.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:42 am

Debating getting a student loan to finance legacy goblins. Worth it? :P

G'night folks.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:20 am

@Platypus: Sorry to hear about 1-3. I think that a lot of testing would have made it 3-1.
Yeah, I think that as well. I was surprised how well the deck survived longer grindy games. After the second match my opponent said that the third game made entering the tournament worth it. It really was great game. What surprised me as well was how much back and forth action there was in the matches. While Legacy certainly has potential to be very fast, in practice it was very grindy. I like that a lot, and I'm thinking of making a second deck with my available duals and other Legacy staples I have access to. I have a very low budget for it, but it would be fun to at least play with the old cards sometimes. I might post something in the brewery thread when I
find the time.
Sig by NBW

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:31 am

Excellent idea--I'm not a fan with the lavamancers, but without there's no reason not to.
Yes, of course. I always forget that card. I don't have any, but they're cheap so I'll probably get a few. I think one of the reasons I forget it is that whenever I see the card I go "Cool, two damage from a land!" and then I notice the sacrifice part and go "Meh...one time use only." But, you're right, there's no reasons not to run it. Well ok, it's a Wasteland
target. Now everybody were using their Wastelands on their own lands in response to Price of Progress, which is a card everyone just fear.
Sig by NBW

Colonel Nohman
Newcomer

Postby Colonel Nohman » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:30 am

Hello everyone!

I hope that everyone had a great weekend!

I've finished 3rd at the GPT. I went 3-1-2 for a good 3rd place. 1-1 Vs. the Aristocrats, my 2 losses came from....guess what? Junk Reanimator. It's now officially in competition with Bant Auras for my nightmare matchups.
(Thanks to Sioux for the awesome signature)

Current decks:

Vintage: Megrim
Legacy: B/W Control
Standard: Wolf Run Bant 2.0
Modern: Jund Midrange

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:00 pm

What I find funny about legacy is that people defend it by saying you only need one deck. I don't want to play only one deck. Then, because you only need one deck, people start pimping out said one deck. Foil everything. So now you got anywhere from a few hundred to a couple thousand invested into your legacy deck. Since your main deck is now worth so much, you need to go get a second cheaper deck because you don't want to just bring your expensive deck out around people you don't trust. A guy at my lgs has a completely foiled out esper stoneblade deck with beta dual lands and foil unhinged lands for whatever few basics he needs. So he has a Maverick deck on the side for when he doesn't feel like bringing out his baby.

I like standard because by design it's constantly changing. But I also have some deck ADD

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:13 pm

Hello everyone!

I've finished 3rd at the GPT. I went 3-1-2 for a good 3rd place. 1-1 Vs. the Aristocrats, my 2 losses came from....guess what? Junk Reanimator. It's now officially in competition with Bant Auras for my nightmare matchups.
Congrats man, good result. What were you playing? I actually find Junk Rites to be a push over, but I'm playing Aristocrats.

Colonel Nohman
Newcomer

Postby Colonel Nohman » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Hello everyone!

Congrats man, good result. What were you playing? I actually find Junk Rites to be a push over, but I'm playing Aristocrats.
Thank you! I was playing Wolf Run Bant, for reference here's the list:

[deck]
2 Angel of Serenity
3 Augur of Bolas
3 Loxodon Smiter
Restoration Angel
4 Thragtusk

4 Azorius Charm
1 Detention Sphere
2 Dissipate
4 Farseek
4 Sphinx's Revelation
3 Supreme Verdict
2 Think Twice

4 Breeding Pool
3 Glacial Fortress
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Hinterland Harbor
2 Kessig Wolf Run
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Steam Vents
2 Sunpetal Grove
4 Temple Garden

Sideboard:
2 Jace, Memory Adept
2 Negate
2 Witchbane Orb
3 Purify the Grave
2 Detention Sphere
2 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Terminus [/deck]

Sincerly speaking, the deck has keeped up with everything apart Junk (both times I lost 0-2 without being able to do anything relevant, once because of mana screwing). The top 4 in the end was:

1) Junk Reanimator
2) Junk Reanimator
3) My deck
4) Naya Blitz

There were another 2 Reanimator deck, one was the red variant. I really hope that my meta won't be infested by Junk, until last week we had a lot of different decks.

The 1-1 vs the Aristo was the best match of the GPT for me, I've really enjoyed it. For anyone interested, here'
s a little report:

Game 1: bye (good way to start a GPT)

Game 2: 0-2 against red variant reanimator. Nothing much to say here, I mulled both game and I've not seen more than 5 lands in both game.

Game 3: 2-0 against Bant Auras. Game 1 I verdict twice and sphere'd his rancors. My lifegain was too much and overrunned him soon. Game 2 I have a bad start: he drop soon Nevermore naming Verdict, then drop another one naming revelation. Luckily I have a D. Sphere in hand since the beginning (I sided in 2 more), so I use it. Then proceed to verdict, let him build his field again while I build mine since I haven't seen any more Verdict/Terminus. I drop Angel of Serenity. He goes all in on his geist and stalker, but he dropped when I use Azorius Charm on the token angel made from Geist since I have Wolf Run in play and next turn I would have killed him.

Game 4: 1-1 against the Aristocrats. This was my fave game in this GPT. Game 1 has been a war: I verdict twice again, then we stalled because I draw
only mana. Revelate for 6: land, land, land, land, farseek, farseek. I use the double farseek, next turn I revelate for 10. I finally draws something, so I drop Thragtusk, Smither and Resto Angel. He dropped when I swing with all + 15 of Wolf Run. Game 2 has been super funny. I managed to kill his Sorin with my Augur of Bolas + Kessig, but between the 2nd Sorin's Emblem and Souls he killed me since I've not drawed neither Verdict nor Terminus. 1 minute to the end of the round, so 1-1.

Game 5: 2-0 against Jund Zombie. Nothing much to say game 1. He mulled to 5 and had seen 2 lands in all the game. Game 2 Terminus has been the star. I destroyed his board with a Verdict, but he build it again while I drop Thragtusk and a Smither. The situation is worse every turn that pass, then... Terminus. I draw a revelation, rebuild my hand and after 2 more turns he conceed since I'm too far ahead.

Into the top 4!

My dreams of glory are crushed immidiately.

Vs Junk Reanimator: 0-2. I've done all my best to
shut it down, but I had no chance. He put a lotleth troll early, he discards Angel of Serenity and uses unburial rites. I've not seen Verdict/Azorius Charm. Game 2 is even funnier (for him, at last). I still have none of the mentioned cards. Turn 1: land, arbor elf, turn 2 land, Smither, turn 3 land, Smither, turn 4 land, Thragtusk. Swing next turn for gg since I've still not any answer for his threats.
(Thanks to Sioux for the awesome signature)

Current decks:

Vintage: Megrim
Legacy: B/W Control
Standard: Wolf Run Bant 2.0
Modern: Jund Midrange

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:23 pm

For redthirst: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L9luvA5RaGI

Seeing Sammy on Wednesday :)
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:03 pm

G'night folks.
At least the loan would cover the mana base! That's more than I can say about how much I spent on Esper Stoneblade's mana, which was close to like $1000.

Aesnath
Newcomer

Postby Aesnath » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:08 pm

G'night folks.
Frankly, when I purchased my black lotus, it involved student loan money. However, I was getting a deal, and I sold the damn thing for more than twice what I paid for it a couple of months ago.

I'm not saying it's good investment advice, but I really don't think I could be happier with how it turned out. It was like someone paid me to play with the lotus for a few years.

Legacy staples seem to be somewhat like that--very liquid, gradually rising in price. It's not the worst thing you could spend your recreation money on.

Return to “Fires of Salvation”