[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Colonel Nohman
Newcomer
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Colonel Nohman » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:51 am

So which cards are you looking forward to trying out in Dragon's Maze?
Sire of Insanity, Putrefy, Gaze of Granite, Plasma Capture, Restore the Peace, Lavinia of the Tenth, Council of the Absolute, Aetherling.... Maybe Voice of Resurgence and Advent of the Wurm too.

And good morning everyone!
(Thanks to Sioux for the awesome signature)

Current decks:

Vintage: Megrim
Legacy: B/W Control
Standard: Wolf Run Bant 2.0
Modern: Jund Midrange

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:01 am

On another topic of shuffling, I've encountered a lot of players do this when they presented the opponent's deck. They shuffle it normally, then take 7 cards off the top and put it on the bottom. Some take 7 random cards from the deck after shuffling a bit, set it aside, shuffle the remaining, then put that 7 on top (they basically took your opening hand for you). I don't have qualms on this kind of cut usually since it's still pretty random, but is it legal?

Also, I'm not completely sure about how the last cut rule works. Anybody care to elaborate?
I've called judges on this. The judge warned
my opponent not to do it again. It is really annoying, and all the Filipino players at my LGS do it.
I haven't encountered it myself on a competitive REL setting as I'm sure I would call a judge for it if it happened.

BTW Sasky, what LGS do you play at?

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:51 am

2-2 5th place with mono-red tonight. It's basically khaos deck wins with a slightly worse sideboard.

My plan was to crush agro mirrors all day since we have a ton of people that play naya blitz and experiment jund at my shop. Instead I lose to a bunch of rhox faithmenders, thragtusks, sphinx's revelations, and loxodon smiters. My buddy Q who was playing esper control went 0-4 against all the agro players. If we switched matchups(and eh played better) we probably would have ran the table today.

The most frustrating thing was against Bant, twice I had him at 3/4 life needing to topdeck one of usually 15-25 outs and he kept fading draw steps as I would draw blanks and then draw the 4th land or searing spear the turn after he stabilized.

Soon I should have the board complete. Just need some mortars and decided if I want reckoners or some anti-control tech like shred-freaks/skullcracks/whatever.

Regarding cards I'm
exicted for, mostly the Orzhov mythic or any sealed bomb really for the pre-release. For constructed, I'm not really exited by anything in the set. Some stuff will be good yeah, but nothing jumps out besides maybe the walker. I DO however want to see how the azorius 2/2 for 2 bounce a guy creature is. I decided to go Orzhov for the prerelease but my buddy keeps hyping up the bear, especially if you play him with evolve guys or simply have multiple active. Prerelease should be fun if nothing else. Hopefully I get some BREAD.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Sasky
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sasky » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:59 am

On another topic of shuffling, I've encountered a lot of players do this when they presented the opponent's deck. They shuffle it normally, then take 7 cards off the top and put it on the bottom. Some take 7 random cards from the deck after shuffling a bit, set it aside, shuffle the remaining, then put that 7 on top (they basically took your opening hand for you). I don't have qualms on this kind of cut usually since it's still pretty random, but is
it legal?

Also, I'm not completely sure about how the last cut rule works. Anybody care to elaborate?
I've called judges on this. The judge warned my opponent not to do it again. It is really annoying, and all the Filipino players at my LGS do it.
I haven't encountered it myself on a competitive REL setting as I'm sure I would call a judge for it if it happened.

BTW Sasky, what LGS do you play at?
I live in Singapore. :) I play at all the big shops here since it's a tiny country.

DGM cards I am excited for:

RedNihilist
Tire Aficionado

Postby RedNihilist » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:08 pm

DGM cards I am excited for:
I see what you did there, sir.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:19 pm

I am not looking forward to facing off against the Ascended Lawmage: 3/2 flying, hexproof.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:47 pm

I am not looking forward to facing off against the Ascended Lawmage: 3/2 flying, hexproof.
Me neither. Time for Gruul Charm in the SB of RG decks?
Sig by NBW

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:05 pm

That Bant Auras deck really did need some more nearly impossible to deal with dudes...

Oh well, at least this one is slower.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:07 pm

Restoration Angel just keeps getting better and better. :cool2:

Also, @Ham/Khaos
How am I still a probationary member? I'm totally at least tier 3.
Talk to ham and Khaos - that's their department.
nDafuq dudes?

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:27 pm

Just trying to get into edh as well, with Ruric Thar as my general. Don't really have any idea what the hell to do, just threw a bunch of cool R/G creatures together

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:47 pm

Restoration Angel just keeps getting better and better. :cool2:

As does Vampire Nighthawk and Thundermaw Hellkite.

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:55 pm

Sideboard Glaring Spotlight might be a thing?

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:57 pm

A small part of me is hoping that Thundermaw Hellkite gets reprinted in M14, especially with Zealous Conscripts rotating out.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:02 pm

Also what the hell is Hellrider doing at $3?!?!

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:06 pm

It's in a precon now and "pros" are talking about how it's a bad card in Aggro...

:rolleyes:
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

I love the D...

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:13 pm

Platypus, I playtested this deck on MTGO last night with great results.

[deck]Creatures (32)
4 Stromkirk Noble
4 Rakdos Cackler
2 Stonewright
4 Ash Zealot
4 Flinthoof Boar
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Lightning Mauler
4 Fervent Cathar
2 Ghor-Clan Rampager

Spells (8)
4 Searing Spear
4 Rancor

Lands (20)
4 Stomping Ground
4 Rootbound Crag
12 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
3 Boros Reckoner
3 Pillar of Flame
2 Ground Seal
2 Traitorous Blood
3 Volcanic Strength
2 Frostburn Weird[/deck]

I feel like I want another green source so I might shove a Temple Garden in and take out a Mountain. I'm also unsure about Stonewright currently. He seems like a better sideboard card. I may test Legion Loyalist instead. I also need to work on the sideboard. I usually only want the Pillars to kill dorks so those may come out for Electrickery. I also don't like Traitorous Blood here. Those two may become my Stonewrights.

I'
ve tested Fervent Cathar before in the All-in Red list and really like him. He's resistant to Azorius Charm and doesn't care that your opponent slammed a Loxodon Smiter last turn. Speaking of Loxodon Smiter, I've found this deck has little use for Mizzium Mortars in the side since we're playing Rancor and Ghor-Clan Rampager. The ability of this deck to just smash through fatties is very refreshing.

Redthirst - yeah, I know it's in a precon, but I expected it to get to $6 at the LOWEST. At $3 I am going to snatch up every one I can find locally. There's no way it stays there for long (at least until rotation comes around).
Last edited by Valdarith on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:13 pm

It's in a precon now and "pros" are talking about how it's a bad card in Aggro...

"Pros" also said Hellion Crucible was bad, and Stonewright was "unplayable."

As always, consider your sources. :teach:

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:20 pm

I know it's in a precon, but I expected it to get to $6 at the LOWEST. At $3 I am going to snatch up every one I can find locally. There's no way it stays there for long (at least until rotation comes around).
Hellrider actually has some potential playability in Modern. BW tokens could easily end up dega and play it. Hellrider is much better than Charge Across the Araba, which is what the deck plays now.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:25 pm

"Pros" also said Hellion Crucible was bad, and Stonewright was "unplayable."

As always, consider your sources. :teach:
You seem to be under the impression that I agree with that assessment for some reason.

I love the D...

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:33 pm

I know it's in a precon, but I expected it to get to $6 at the LOWEST. At $3 I am going to snatch up every one I can find locally. There's no way it stays there for long (at least until rotation comes around).
Hellrider actually has some potential playability in Modern. BW tokens could easily end up dega and play it. Hellrider is much better than Charge Across the Araba, which is what the deck plays now.
I'm sure it does, but it won't be as massively played as it was in Standard for months, so I can't see it being any more than $4 a
year from now. Hell, Goblin Guide sees a lot more play than Hellrider will and it's at $5.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:36 pm

Just be careful with Hellrider. I picked up my playset last season for $1.50 each when showing up with a red list got laughed at. Red is obviously much better right now, but that particular card has seen some epic teenage girl mood type price swings.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:39 pm

Hellrider actually has some potential playability in Modern. BW tokens could easily end up dega and play it. Hellrider is much better than Charge Across the Araba, which is what the deck plays
now.
I'm sure it does, but it won't be as massively played as it was in Standard for months, so I can't see it being any more than $4 a year from now. Hell, Goblin Guide sees a lot more play than Hellrider will and it's at $5.
There's also an assload of those around because it was a promo on the Grand Prix circuit for almost an entire year.

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:39 pm

I manged to pick up 3 for about 3 dollars, but couln't find the 4th until the price had spiked to 11 :/. Wasn't too happy bout that one

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:43 pm

A small part of me is hoping that Thundermaw Hellkite gets reprinted in M14, especially with Zealous Conscripts rotating out.
Absolutely. This being Wizards, though, I expect that it won't be reprinted, and we'll be stuck with unplayable dragons again. :frown:

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:46 pm

How many precons has Hellrider featured in now? Three I think...the card is probably one of the most printed rares in the game, thus it's not very likely to command premium pricing just because demand is so easily met.

I don't agree at all with Ceddy's opinion of it being a "stinker"--his pedantic penchant for very polar card evaluation is one thing that turns me off about him--but I do see points behind the argument. Playing a hasty indestructible flyer instead of Hellrider in a meta where he very often dies after 1 swing makes sense. Also, Hellrider becomes a less-than-stellar topdeck when you have little board presence, and is arguably harder to cast in a multicolor deck.
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:47 pm

Absolutely. This being Wizards, though, I expect that it won't be reprinted, and we'll be stuck with unplayable dragons again. :frown:

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:57 pm

Hey now, baby Smaug is gonna see some play along with our buddy VD in a Varolz deck...it won't be Tier 1, but it should be damned fun.
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:57 pm

Actually, it's not... it's just sitting there - slumbering - and waiting for you to draw an answer to it.

I love the D...

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:00 pm

Hey now, baby Smaug is gonna see some play along with our buddy VD in a Varolz deck...it won't be Tier 1, but it should be damned fun.
It won't be Tier anything.

Combining shitty unplayable jank + an okay interaction dependant on one card =/= anything approaching competitive.

I'm not sure if your post was sarcastic, but just in case I wanted to clarify.

I love the D...

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:04 pm

I played Slumbering Dragon in a draft once.

I remember losing that draft.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:07 pm

I seriously considered playing it as a SB card against Aggro - I remember being like "How is no one playing this thing? It's retardulously good in that MU!"

Then I read the card again and realized it couldn't attack or block until it had however many counters... and back in the garbage it went.

I love the D...

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:12 pm

Well, zem made the Rx Forum on Sally a little better by making LeoninKha vow to never post there again.

While I applaud what he's done, we're not really trying to make the place less asinine...

I love the D...

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Hey, I said no GoT spoilers... :flame:

Wait, what? :toot:
Sig by NBW

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:23 pm

Since when were we posting on Sally again?

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:26 pm

I Don't know, I post ocasionally, but the quallity has decreased rapidly.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:27 pm

I did it mostly to discuss spoilers and be a dick.

From what I can tell, zem's just doing it to be a dick. Sadly, though, his dick-ish-ness is having the positive effect of clearing out the riff-raff.

I love the D...

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:28 pm

Well, zem made the Rx Forum on Sally a little better by making LeoninKha vow to never post there again.

While I applaud what he's done, we're not really trying to make the place less asinine...
Link?

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Decided not build Junk Midrange.

Next 3 packs: Loxodon Smiter, Obzedat, Trostani.

I see what you are trying to tell me Magic.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:30 pm

Link?
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthre ... 10&page=88

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:31 pm

Also, it's a large community. Even though there's only a small percentage of them that aren't a complete waste - the population is still large enough to warrant recruitment efforts.

I love the D...

Return to “Fires of Salvation”