[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby zemanjaski » Sat May 04, 2013 11:14 am

Just a head's up team. My grandfather (mum's side) has passed away in his sleep. In a way, it is a relief ~ he had been on the decline for the last two years and by the end was not the man I grew up around and loved. I'll be a bit absent for the next few days taking care of my mum and nan; funeral will be on wednesday. Thanks guys.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Fax
Newcomer

Postby Fax » Sat May 04, 2013 11:23 am

I'm sorry for you loss James.
Reach out and torch someone

Find me on MTGO under the same username

Colonel Nohman
Newcomer

Postby Colonel Nohman » Sat May 04, 2013 12:06 pm

[quote="Dodger":34xhyppv]Top 4'd with prime speaker bant. Got my two boxes. One Voice and no Ral's. Fuckin bullshit. Oh well hopefully the rest of the crap I need for bant delver gets here this week so I can bring it to FNM next week.[/quote:34xhyppv]

Congratulations for your result! What list were you running exactly?

[quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=59349#p59349:34xhyppv]zemanjaski » Sat May 04, 2013 11:14 am[/url:34xhyppv]":34xhyppv]Just a head's up team. My grandfather (mum's side) has passed away in his sleep. In a way, it is a relief ~ he had been on the decline for the last two years and by the end was not the man I grew up around and loved. I'll be a bit absent for the next few days taking care of my mum and nan; funeral will be on wednesday. Thanks guys.[/quote:34xhyppv]

I'm sorry for your loss Zem....
(Thanks to Sioux for the awesome signature)

Current decks:

Vintage: Megrim
Legacy: B/W Control
Standard: Wolf Run Bant 2.0
Modern: Jund Midrange

Sasky
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sasky » Sat May 04, 2013 1:53 pm

Just a head's up team. My grandfather (mum's side) has passed away in his sleep. In a way, it is a relief ~ he had been on the decline for the last two years and by the end was not the man I grew up around and loved. I'll be a bit absent for the next few days taking care of my mum and nan; funeral will be on wednesday. Thanks guys.
My condolences Zeman. Take care of yourself.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sat May 04, 2013 2:55 pm

Sorry to hear about that James. I hope your family is able to deal with it well.
Sig by NBW.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Sat May 04, 2013 3:20 pm

I know that feeling, man. If you need anyone to talk to, I'm always willing to listen.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Calamity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Calamity » Sat May 04, 2013 4:05 pm

Man i want to get good at drafting. I did RtR block draft at FNM tonight and scrubbed out pretty hard. I hate being bad at things so of course now i want to get good at drafting. That and it seems like being good at draft will make you good at magic in general.
I will never understand when people claim that drafting helps you improve your game.

It teaches you to evaluate cards? Specifically for a draft environment only.

It teaches you to use your cards efficiently and to play around stuff? Well playing more constructed teaches you to play around stuff that actually matter.

Also doesn't
help that I cube draft regularly. When you have to choose between drafting library of alexandria or baneslayer angel, drafting boosters become much less interesting. :)
Obviously if you want to get better at constructed you need to play constructed, but I've never met a player that was good at drafting that was bad at constructed, but plenty of the opposite.

I admit my own experience isn't fact, but that's simply my observation. Plus I want to draft more because its a blast. Constructed is still my favorite way to play, but drafting tests some skills that constructed doesn't.
Official Firebat of FoS

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat May 04, 2013 4:12 pm

@kaze - I will PM you the fondant recipes I used sometime tomorrow. We had a number of people tonight comment on not being big fondant fans but liking these recipes; the white chocolate one in particular tastes like chocolate taffy.
I would appreciate that greatly, thank you. ^^
Just a head's up team. My grandfather (mum's side) has passed away in his sleep. In a way, it is a relief ~ he had been on the decline for the last two years and by the end was not the man I grew up around and loved. I'll be a bit absent for the next few days taking care of my mum and nan;
funeral will be on wednesday. Thanks guys.
I'm sorry to hear that. Best wishes and warmest regards to you and yours, friend.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Sat May 04, 2013 4:30 pm

Sorry to hear that zeman. Condolences for your loss.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Sasky
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sasky » Sat May 04, 2013 4:52 pm

Obviously if you want to get better at constructed you need to play constructed, but I've never met a player that was good at drafting that was bad at constructed, but plenty of the opposite.

I admit my own experience isn't fact, but that's simply my observation. Plus I want to draft more because its a blast. Constructed is still my favorite way to play, but drafting tests some skills that constructed doesn't.
Makes sense.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sat May 04, 2013 5:12 pm

Does anyone in the clan have any experience playing Soul Sisters? I've played one of the lists on MTGS a few times, and it seemed very fun. Seems like a deck that gets much better with user experience. If so, would you recommend dropping the money on it now? Would it do well in a meta full of Birthing Pod variants and midrange/tempo? I'm starting to get bored of extremely budget infect, and it would be much more expensive to upgrade that than simply drop ~$150 on Soul Sisters.
Sig by NBW.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sat May 04, 2013 5:14 pm

Additionally, does anyone know where to get the file for the Cockatrice DGM update? I'm playing a game, and suddenly an opponent casts a new card which I can't see the picture or text for, just the name.

edit: I found where to get the file, but I have absolutely no idea how to download it. http://anothermagicblog.blogspot.com/20 ... trice.html links to mediafire, and then that download links to a page in internet explorer (which is weird, because i'm using chrome) that has all of the set names, card names, and card texts. I'd really appreciate if anyone could help out a computer challenged clanmate.
Last edited by Jack on Sat May 04, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sig by NBW.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Sat May 04, 2013 5:16 pm

Top 4'd with prime speaker bant. Got my two boxes. One Voice and no Ral's. Fuckin bullshit. Oh well hopefully the rest of the crap I need for bant delver gets here this week so I can bring it to FNM next week.
Congratulations for your result! What list were you running exactly?

Thanks bro, played this list here http://magicgameplan.com/blog/bant-cont ... ndard/link

Lost the first game to some sort of new RUG control deck that I didn't really know what was doing. Then beat two budget aristocrat decks, then I believe Junk Midrange with Voice, could be junk tokens with voice not entirely sure. Then played RUG control guy again in top 8 and
beat him down this time now that I knew what his deck was doing.

Also, of course sorry for your loss Z.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Sat May 04, 2013 5:39 pm

Sorry to hear about that, Z.

FNM recap:

I went to a new LGS and blew out the competition in 5 rounds. I made it to top 8, where I get knocked out by a R/G Slumbering Dragon deck. Fuck me running, man, Just take away my Red card now....

My buddy took the whole thing down with the Bant Auras deck we built. Surprisingly, we never got paired up with each other.

All in all, it was fun. I got retarded drunk, which is never a bad thing. One guy irritated me to no end from the moment I got there. See, when I got to the place and signed up, I was handed a promo foil of [card]Breaking // Entering[/card]. So I say, "Breaking and entering, huh? My second favorite crime, just after statutory rape!" And this guy just turns and looks at me, all butthurt, shaking his head, and says, " Dude, that was just....just...." I cut him off by saying,"In bad taste? Yep, that's the point." So
he walks away talking some shit under his breath.

Later in the night, I hear him talking shit to some other guys,"Man, did you know there's someone playing Mono Red tonight? And he's undefeated? Who brings Mono Red? That deck is dead." So the guys point in my direction and tell him that I'm "dat Mono Red guy." So Mr. Obnoxious Gamer chuckles and says, "Figures. That guy's a fucking retard."

Man, I couldn't help but laugh when I heard him say that. I didn't get mad either. I quietly walked out and located his black Honda and proceeded to drunkenly piss on his door handles and gas cap. He left the store shortly thereafter.

tl; dr - I got drunk and pissed on a car.

This morning I woke up to a lengthy message from the store owner on Facebook. Apparently there were about 10-12 beer bottles left outside of the store and the property manager stopped over and saw the abundance of trash and debris. Also, there were some noise complaints about obnoxious yelling and
profanity. Long story short - I'm not banned from this new place, but I'm no longer allowed to drink there and I must "monitor my language and noise levels." I don't think I'll be going back there any time soon.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Sasky
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sasky » Sat May 04, 2013 6:05 pm

My good sir take my thanks and all my reverence you holy beast of sex.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sat May 04, 2013 6:20 pm

Khaospawns gonna Khaospawn! They should have known better, your reputation precedes you.

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Sat May 04, 2013 6:40 pm

My condolences for your loss Z .

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat May 04, 2013 7:02 pm

You will know when I've been to an FNM by the trail of beer bottles, the sound of profanity echoing through the skies, and the pools of urine flooding the streets.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Sat May 04, 2013 7:21 pm

Damn bro that was epic. Haters gonna hate and you handled in the classy and professional manner we'd all expect in this clan.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sat May 04, 2013 7:34 pm

Day 84 bitches. The manliness cannot be contained, so I'm learning how to play Kaijudo with my buddies before we crush the 12 year olds.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat May 04, 2013 7:42 pm

Day 84 bitches. The manliness cannot be contained, so I'm learning how to play Kaijudo with my buddies before we crush the 12 year olds.
Make those kids suffer before bringing them to tears!

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Sat May 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Well done, Khaos - that's considered the proper way to handle a conflict of that nature in all the finer houses.

Also, Kamahl has officially reached "fucking wad" status in metamorph's new card analysis thread.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat May 04, 2013 7:59 pm

Well done, Khaos - that's considered the proper way to handle a conflict of that nature in all the finer houses.
Why thank you, sir. The next logical step would be to challenge him to a dick-showing contest. However, I'd probably have to borrow your penis for that.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Sat May 04, 2013 9:05 pm

Let's all drop our pants and see who the best man really is!

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Sat May 04, 2013 9:18 pm

Sitting at home, watching misplays on scg live.. Though it is easy for me to say, I am not exactly playing the game for them.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat May 04, 2013 11:44 pm

I put up some duals and such in my trade thread haves, as well as a bunch of U/R things in the wants for EDH. If you have/want any such things, do let me know, red mages.

Yes, I just shamelessly promoted myself. I'm desperate. D:

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat May 04, 2013 11:57 pm

Sitting at home, watching misplays on scg live.. Though it is easy for me to say, I am not exactly playing the game for them.
I can never watch those, the blatant play errors (not even misplays based on unknown information) just make me want to flip my laptop.

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Sun May 05, 2013 1:40 am

I quit watching after someone tried to dissipate a smiter...

Though there was a cool RUG Deck that was 5-0 when i was watching. Hopefully he makes top whatever so I can find the list

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun May 05, 2013 2:00 am

Anyone interested in purchasing a blazing fast desktop computer? It's essentially a gaming machine. Would like to get $900 for it, that's about $400 less than what I put into it.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Sun May 05, 2013 2:33 am

What are the specs?

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun May 05, 2013 2:39 am

SCG events rot the brain, almost as much as posters who posit them as being competitive.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun May 05, 2013 3:22 am

Any opinion of goblins splash white for restoration angel and sideboard cards? Bailing in an angel to blink matron EOT; fetching Kiki-jiki, then untapping to up vial and put him in copying angel is the text book definition of big game. Other targets:
- mogg war marshal
- goblin matron
- goblin ringleader
- siege gang commander
- tuktuk scrapper
- stingscourger
- kiki-jiki

I don't know if whit cards are enough to help combo from the sideboard; but the deck looks fun if nothing else.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Sun May 05, 2013 4:08 am

Z: Im not sure that a 4 mana spell is what goblins want to be at. I am by no means a Goblin expert, but isn't one of the big goblin draws is that it is resilient to wasteland? I don't know if Splashing white is what it wants to do. Like I said, I have never truly felt out goblins, so feel free to put me in my place.

Anyways, I was watching SCG :/ and I found this RUG+B deck that I really like;

Peddle to the Metal
Adam Ezegelian

[cards]4 Huntmaster of the Fells
4 Nightshade Peddler
4 Izzet Staticaster
2 Lobber Crew
2 Sire of Insanity
3 Thragtusk
2 Thundermaw Hellkite
3 Olivia Voldaren

3 Ral Zarek
4 Turn//Burn
4 Farseek

2 Blood Crypt
1 Breeding Pool
2 Hinterland Harbor
2 Kessig Wolf Run
2 Overgrown Tomb
4 Rootbound Crag
2 Steam Vents
3 Stomping Grounds

SB
3 Deathrite Shaman
2 Evil Twin
1 Sire of
Insanity
2 Snapcaster Mage
1 Appetite for Brains
3 Pillar of Flame
1 Rakdos's Return
2 Slaughter Games[/cards]

I really like this list (Outside of a few things... Lobber Crew? Really?). Seems very solid. Thoughts? Prob would swap out crew for a tusk and something else, but don't know what yet.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun May 05, 2013 4:18 am

The splash seems pretty free in goblins; 4 Cavern, 4 Plateau, 4-6 fetches and some basics plus vials makes your mana extremely resilient.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sun May 05, 2013 4:35 am

Just started watching Game of Thrones upon you guys' suggestion. 2 episodes in; its fucking awesome. Definitely looking forward to the 30+ hours of episodes until I'm caught up.

re: Peddle to the Metal: That does seem really interesting. Even if it doesn't turn out to be viable, at least it'll show us how good a few of the new cards are. Oh, the shit you can get away with in this standard with all of its color fixing.
Sig by NBW.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun May 05, 2013 5:17 am

Condolences Z.

Dodger, you play at Legacy games right? If so, I will be making an appearance in your game store next Wednesday.

RE: peddle deck. That was more or less where I was leaning with my Ral Zarek brew mindedness, though I was thinking Gyre Sage would be the nut in that list and I'm trying to stay rug. Interesting nonetheless.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun May 05, 2013 5:48 am

@Z: Condolences man, that's rough.
What are the specs?
Lemme check my invoice to be 100% sure and I'll let you know.

Summary: ASUS motherboard, NVIDIA graphics, Intel processor, lots of fans. Board uses ASUS BIOS for easy clocking, etc. 16G of ram, with 2 additional slots open; it's still faster and more robust than anything on the market for that price. I built it as a work horse, meant to be solid and dependable. Unfortunately, now I really need portability and I don't have the ready cash for the laptop I want.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun May 05, 2013 6:45 am

Just got done jamming with a bar band and doing some Iron Maiden tunes. Fuck, I miss being a full-time musician.

Put your fucking hands in the air!

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sun May 05, 2013 6:50 am

Just got done jamming with a bar band and doing some Iron Maiden tunes. Fuck, I miss being a full-time musician.

Put your fucking hands in the air!
It's been forever since I played in front of people. It's such an epic feeling. Good to hear you're having some snazzy times rocking out. :smileup:

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sun May 05, 2013 6:53 am

Ah, looks like One Piece is getting back on Toonami again.

Return to “Fires of Salvation”