[Primer] Boros Burn

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby zemanjaski » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:25 pm

_megaphone_ and I are having a joke about it now.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:30 pm

Nice work haha.

rage_jl
Newcomer

Postby rage_jl » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:32 pm

He kept the zombies incorrectly planning to race Assemble the Legion, vice making Zem discard it with Rakdos. Not a bad call but I think Zem was planning on the downfalls being sided out.

MTGO has had more hexproof in 8 mans and I run into one every three to four DE (out of 5 a week). I know glare kills unflinching courage but its harder to force them into a mistake because of casting on your turn, glare is twice or three times as good against Esper but again that is a metagame call. Online at the moment, in my experience, I think wear // tear is more flexible across the board, if you are playing something more competitive with more people putting together decks with $100 manabases then another stack of dollars on cards then glare is probably better. It's the same reason PE is now in the sideboard, those slots could be used in a dozen different ways if the mirror wasn't as prevalent, on MTGO at least. Most cards
under consideration are metagame calls and not if they actually work or not in any situation. Which facilitates winning against an expected field.

I'm trying to figure out the sideboard I want for a SCG Super IQ this weekend and I expect the field to be 40-50% random junk or budget decks going off previous experience, albeit outdated. I'm counting on solid play against them. This will be first paper event in 6 years and I'm probably going to bring 30 cards for possible sideboards and try to scout beforehand.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:45 pm

MDU, Going through the videos now. I think this already got discussed in a thread elsewhere but in response to your chances of drawing a land while on the draw with a 1 lander with 23 lands left in the deck:

The chance is to hit a land is 1- [(Chance to miss on 30/53 cards) multiplied by (chance to miss on 29/52 cards)]%. Or 1 - (56%*55%) = 69%. Not saying it isn't a good/bad risk but those are the odds.

Rage, that's what I've been told about the SCG meta. I kinda want to do the one in Dallas but I'm not sure I'll have the time. And I understand Mr. Bad Music's plan, I just think it was wrong two different ways. Somehow he thought he was the aggro deck because of life gain. Silly rabbit. If I were going to keep any downfalls in, it'd be....1? I'd rather just make him discard her. Or beat her to death. And....this is getting weird again. I'll be in my corner.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:51 pm

I liked my line in Game 2; I didn't get a card from Chandra, but I did get six damage and forced him to tap out twice which I think materially, is worth a card.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:18 am

Oh, absolutely. Still doesn't change that downfall is kinda awkward against you, chandra or no.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:30 am

Assemble the Legion beats Bow of Nylea (was playing the Mono Green creature deck, not GR Monsters, but still, awesome).
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Toddington

Postby Toddington » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:42 am

Assemble the Legion beats Bow of Nylea (was playing the Mono Green creature deck, not GR Monsters, but still, awesome).
Makes sense I guess.

Have you seen any Illness in the Ranks yet? Next levelling YP$ and Assemble. Might be something to keep an eye on.

JohnnyfnB

Postby JohnnyfnB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:50 am

@ Toddington Illness in the Ranks lives in my sideboard in B/R control deck (not a MBC w/ splash red). That card will be creeping into the meta with the resurgence of U/W and Assemble the Legion.
There is nothing greater than standing over the smoking corpse of your opponent.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:08 am

There is no reason to bring wear in to MBA. For me at least, that's an almost auto win. I don't even usually side board, because I haven't lost to it.
Then why mention Herald of Torment re: Wear // Tear. Half the cards you mentioned (seriously, Satyr Firedancer?) are featured in decks where there is just no justification for bringing in Wear // Tear.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:33 am

Opponent at 6 with 1 removal in hand (I have Lightning Strike in hand) draws Merchant into Merchant. Fuck that guy.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

rage_jl
Newcomer

DE so far

Postby rage_jl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:36 am

I'm playing the most recent Zem main deck 3x shock, chains, searing blood, 3 vault, 1 silence, 1 malice, 2 guildgates
SB: 1 chain, 3 mortars, 3 PE, 2 Assemble, 2 Spark Trooper, 3 toil//trouble, 1 wear/tear (forgot chandra switch)

DE
R1-babones: (B aggro) crackler, tormented hero, demon, etc
G1-Kept four lands (2 scry), YP, shock, skullcrack but didn't know what opponent was on. Back and forth I was behind most of the time and he eventually won when I ran out of tokens and phonixes (phonexi?) to sac to demon...no chains all game
G2-Turn 1 for him he grabs a toil with duress, turn 5 I mizzium and shock a demon, turn 6 assemble and he scoops
G3-Burn and chain everything (chained tormented hero, two lifebane zombies) he thoughtseizes to 10 and I have a phoenix on the board 2 boros charm and assemble in hand, he takes a charm as I'm stuck on four and then he scoops after his next draw.
R2-TomDamin: (Dredge)
We are aggro in this match up, not sure we can win the control route
G1-lost to a turn 4 5/5 dude, turn 5 whip, turn 6 monstrous, no chains or skull cracks YP tokens can only block until YP killed by whipped demon fella.
SB-+1 chain, +3 toil, +2 mortars, +1 wear // tear -3 shock, -2 boros charm, -2 searing blood (this was wrong but I was on the play)
G2-Toil turn 3, burn and phonix him to death ignore 1bb only a 2/2 and 5/5 dude was too late for him.
SB: +2 boros, -1 toil, -1 mortars (this was by feel rather than defined strategy, may have put in chandra if I had her)
G3-burn, phoenix, burn, he drops a two elves and a catyrid, two 5/5's, one monstrous but able to burn him out for the win (on last possible turn) held wear // tear this whole game...no target

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 am

The hell you bringing in toil/trouble against a B aggro deck?

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:57 am

There is no reason to bring wear in to MBA. For me at least, that's an almost auto win. I don't even usually side board, because I haven't lost to it.
Then why mention Herald of Torment re: Wear // Tear. Half the cards you mentioned (seriously, Satyr Firedancer?) are featured in decks where there is just no justification for bringing in Wear // Tear.
Thank you.

rage_jl
Newcomer

Postby rage_jl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:23 am

On the play only, it came back out game three. I know this is questionable but the cracks and a couple charms came out for the chains, mortars, assemble, and toil or two I don't remember, he wasn't running merchant. Game 3 charms came back in. I don't have a specific call for that, it felt correct at the time. Valid point, sir.

rage_jl
Newcomer

Rest of DE

Postby rage_jl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:50 am

R3-BEasyBG (B aggro-no demons)
G1-burn critters, phoenix, helix a pain seer when he’s out of cards, chain a critter, win
G2-couldn’t stabilize with only two lands till turn 6, went to 2 life and holding off one goblin 2/2 and tormented hero with pair of phoenix but another goblin off the top to give them all intimate killed me
G3-phoenix and elemental token for the scoop burn anything that hits board-he was flooded to be fair
R4-nsw1074 (GW agro)
G1-turn 2 voice, turn 3 brimaz, turn 4 ajani, turn 5 wurm token…I died
G2-burned everything, teared an unflinching courage on a wurm with two skull cracks in hand, phoenix killed him
G3-quick like game one, couldn’t stop him in time, threat density was more than my answer density

Esper and GRx have not been as prevalent online recently (for me at least), I expect the black decks but I have been playing against a lot of fringe. I’m sure 2-1ing it to round 4 helped
me be paired lower. I like the 1 malice, 1 silence thus far. I've had plenty of misplays in timing of YP (never for a game loss simply recognizing it as non-optimal) and still question sequencing of land drops every other game.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:25 am

1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Jedi
Newcomer

Postby Jedi » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:26 am

Who here is attending GP Phoenix? LP, me too. I'm probably locked in on 1 Burning Earth, 2 Assemble, 1 Mutavault in my sideboard. The rest is flex ATM while I try to scope the meta out.
I'll be there too.

Jedi
Newcomer

Who here is attending GP Phoenix? LP, me too. I'm probably locked in on 1 Burning Earth, 2 Assemble, 1 Mutavault in my sideboard. The rest is flex ATM while I try to scope the meta out.
I'll be there too.

Jedi
Newcomer

I'll be there too.

Jedi
Newcomer

Postby Jedi » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:27 am

I'll be there too.

Jedi
Newcomer

Postby Jedi » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:28 am

Sorry for the triple-post...I don't know how that happened.

4!?!?

BurnItAllClean
Newcomer

Postby BurnItAllClean » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:36 am

I think I'm ok with GB Dredge becoming more popular. Game 2 didn't go much better for him. I cast Rest In Peace t2. Free win, yes please.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:45 am

The Dredge Player community would like to state that making Burn side into a crap card like Rest In Peace is, indeed, a win in their favor. >:)

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:55 am

I don't think you need Rest in Peace to beat Dredge, I'm sure I've never lost a match. They mostly beat themselves anyway.

Also, this >:)
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:11 am

not a bad article. didn't hit any specifics, but very general info on how to come up with our own sideboards. lots of subtle hints.
I swear to God, every thread we make falls victim to Godwin's law except instead of Hitler it's redthirst's piece.

BurnItAllClean
Newcomer

Postby BurnItAllClean » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:14 am

The Dredge Player community would like to state that making Burn side into a crap card like Rest In Peace is, indeed, a win in their favor. >:)

Seemed ok to me. I've been able to cast it twice now against dredge and both were very easy wins.

BurnItAllClean
Newcomer

Postby BurnItAllClean » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:40 am

I don't think you need Rest in Peace to beat Dredge, I'm sure I've never lost a match. They mostly beat themselves anyway.

Also, this >:)
I've had some trouble when they slap a nighthowler on a nemesis. They get so big so fast, and I only have so many chained.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:44 am

I really want that 24th land in the 75 but the greedy player within me is saying "don't worry, scry and good luck sorts all the worlds problem" I proceed to pack my deck post board with 2x Assembles, 3x Toil // Trouble (+3 CP MD), 1x Chandra, Pyromaster (+4 WLH MD) yeah.... "don't worry, she'll be good".

That said 8 times out of ten its no problem, its just when its the deciding game, MOCS or GP when it becomes a problem ;-)

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

HK1997

Postby HK1997 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:17 am

Quick recap of the MBC matchup. Faced back-to-back-to-back MBC in an 8 man and fairly easily dealt with all, winning 1st.
Nothing exciting in the sideboard for the MU, so it was:
+1 CttR, +1 Mutavault, +2 Assemble and +3 mizzium mortars vs the second MU, since he was running NVS.
Seems thats all we need to have good chances in this MU and imo it doesnt need more improvemtent unless they come up with another answer. Poop staff is useless against assemble so I am finally listening and not siding in W/T vs MBC.
That said, I'm running 3 of W/T in the SB and two Anger of the gods. Wanted to give this a try, after running only into Jund Monsters, Dredge and Hexproof yesterday.

HK1997

Postby HK1997 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:27 am

Oh and one more question to the next-level-crazies:
About half my MBC matchups kept packrat after sideboarding. Do you still take out searing blood on basic principle, in addition to 2 boros charms, or do you take out all 4 charms in favor of keeping searing blood postboard? Not a huge difference since I'm only running two SBs, but Ive been pretty much flipping a coin postboard on what to do with my SBs...

HK1997

Postby HK1997 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:34 am

@Zem on the Viashino topic

How did it work out for you yesterday, running the Firstblades? Because in my experience, Esper and UWC are still running BOs.

Toddington

Postby Toddington » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:22 am

On the play only, it came back out game three. I know this is questionable but the cracks and a couple charms came out for the chains, mortars, assemble, and toil or two I don't remember, he wasn't running merchant. Game 3 charms came back in. I don't have a specific call for that, it felt correct at the time. Valid point, sir.
I played this match-up and wondered if Assemble was brought in. It seems really bad if they have a board before you cast it. Same with other sorts of decks, does Assemble come in
against Mono-U / GW / any other decks?

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:44 am

Yeah; you're trying to reach a board state where you're both exhausted; then it wins instantly. I'd only bring in a singleton though.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:50 am

In lumina ta!
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:41 pm

Want to test:

[deck]
Creatures
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Enchantments
2 Chained to the Rocks

Instants
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Searing Blood
3 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Toil // Trouble
4 Warleader's Helix

Lands
4 Blood Crypt
1 Boros Guildgate
5 Mountain
4 Mutavault
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard
3 Assemble the Legion
2 Chained to the Rocks
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Firedrinker Satyr
1 Glare of Heresy
4 Satyr Firedancer
[/deck]

Part of me is scared to give up all the tempo draws, but the deck looks like it has substantial game against MBC, Esper and even that Junk deck that the Duke is pushing. It's probably the best Firedancer shell yet; you just cut Toil // Trouble against creature decks for
them and you've got 26 spells with which to trigger them. Sideboard should tell you what I want to beat and what I think is effective for those purposes.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:52 pm

Definitely a list for paper, not online!
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:19 pm

Has Toil // Trouble been ok for you?

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:22 pm

It's better than I thought in this shell; also I'm just playing better than last time I was using it six weeks ago. Turns out im a big fan of bad divinations.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:27 pm

Just from experience, it'll have a REALLY good MBC and Esper matchup; GR and Mono U are good if you can draw a creature with which to apply pressure, otherwise probably a bit bad, but at least you're entirely uninteractive; the mirror will be rough on the draw though.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Return to “Archives”