[Primer] Boros Burn

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:22 pm

Mortars is fine, not great. You can bring it in..or don't.

What's more important is your plan, and if it's an effective plan. In the case of mortars, if you bring it in, your commititing to killing everything and winning on the back of chandra/assemble; which is a fine plan.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:28 pm

Cutting the jets is a bad plan if you're expecting your sideboard cards to win the game.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:19 pm

Points taken. I can see Mortars being important if they're on the Nightveil Spectre plan.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:20 pm

2 assemble, +2 chandra, +1 chained, +2 w//t, +1 mv (if whip)

2 assemble, +2 chandra, +1 chained, +2 MM, +1 mv (if NVS)

-4 shock, -4 BC

look ok?

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:23 pm

Seems right to me.

DXI-Edge

Postby DXI-Edge » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:14 pm

No, they all have BO but I thought I would run Firstblades anyway.
I swear to god if I had a nickel everytime somebody asked a question similar to this I wouldnt have to work right now.

Guys. Seriously. Think

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:28 pm

I'm going to refrain from flipping out on you right now.

Hard to tell over the internet if Z was being sarcastic or not. It could go either way. Esper still running BO, or was that sarcasm? Sorry If that was a stupid question, but I've been busy with life for the last few weeks. Haven't been following meta at all.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:52 pm

Hard to tell over the internet if Z was being sarcastic or not. It could go either way. Esper still running BO, or was that sarcasm? Sorry If that was a stupid question, but I've been busy with life for the last few weeks. Haven't been following meta at all.
Pretty sure Z isn't being sarcastic just looking at the 75. Firstblade only exists as the anti-control card and there's another hint that he's actually aware he was going to see BO.

Ok, do it one step at a time.

Sideboarding plan is as follows:

Step 1: Board out the low impact cards.

Vs Esper control, these are ( ).

Step 2: Board in the high impact cards.

Vs Esper control, these are ( :iiam: ).

Step 3: Board in cards that interfere with opponent's game plan.

Vs Esper control, these are ( :iiam: ) because they interfere with these cards from your opponent ( :iiam: ).

Seriously, one step at a time, fill in the blanks. Don't do it all at once and don't skip steps.

Please justify your answers.

His build isn't something that fits my play style but his plan is fairly clear within maybe 1-2 card. Yes, this means I am saying I don't like his 75 even though he won the $1k. What else is new?

DXI-Edge

Postby DXI-Edge » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:12 pm

Flip out on me, IDC.

Stop asking dumb questions. Think for yourself. If a card leaves a sideboard when a card shows up, if it comes back obviously its because the player believes old tech can resurface and that it has a good position again. We dropped firstblade because of Blind Obedience. He wont bring it back if he expects BO to be popular.

Its the reason we dropped YP for Ash Zealot, and then AZ for YP.

Odds
are, if it smells shitty it isnt chocolate. Think. Dont blindly follow.

And, just an fyi, that wasnt a personal attack on you. That was a general statement due to the fact you asked it, others ask it, and if we keep going this way people will continue to ask it. However, your obviously emotional enough to read more into my words than I wrote.

Get back to work everyone. Testing more tonight, will report my results.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:39 pm

He has hinted before that his paper meta is burn light. I assume it's an Aussie thing.

Plus, he has the wears and a shock or two still to cut game 3 which is...not much of a power level swap but it's what he has.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:52 pm

Flip out on me, IDC.

“There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question.”

The reason I question whether Zem was sincere or sarcastic, is because we've been internet friends for nearly two years, and while he might snip at you like that, he generally is nice to me. I'm one of the guys he credits as helping him create the deck. I'm one of the guys who helped edit his articles. I'm the guy who sent him sleeves after the GP. When I read that, I thought he was being sincere / cheeky.

Then I come back, and see you running your mouth. You're out of line. You realize I was tier
three before the restructure and I'm one of the few people on this forum to cash in a GP. I've been a member of this clan since its inception, and have been a member of this forum since we moved here from ugly sally.

I can ask whatever questions I want.

I haven't been contributing much for the last two weeks, but that's because I moved from one continent to another. I haven't been able to keep up with Meta and or this thread. I won't apologize to you for that. People have lives outside this forum.

If Zem has a problem with me asking, he can tell me. You can mind your own business.
Last edited by Lightning_Dolt on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:23 pm

I certainly don't have a problem with you asking questions :hug:
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:25 pm

There's like no burn players here anyway, so no one has anti-burn cards.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

DXI-Edge

Postby DXI-Edge » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:28 pm

Flip out on me, IDC.

“There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand the world. There is no such thing as a dumb question.”

The reason I question whether Zem was sincere or sarcastic, is because we've been internet friends for nearly two years, and while he might snip at you like that, he generally is nice to me. I'm one of the guys he credits as helping him create the deck. I'm one of the guys who helped edit his articles. 'm the guy who sent him sleeves after
the GP. When I read that, I thought he was being sincere / cheeky.

Then I come back, and see you running your mouth. You're out of line. You realize I was tier three before the restructure and I'm one of the few people on this forum to cash in a GP. I've been a member of this clan since its inception, and have been a member of this forum since we moved here from ugly sally.

I can ask whatever questions I want.

I haven't been contributing much for the last two weeks, but that's because I moved from one continent to another. I haven't been able to keep up with Meta and or this thread. I won't apologize to you for that. People have lives outside this forum.

If Zem has a problem with me asking, he can tell me. You can mind your own business.
Flash your credentials all you want, when you ask a question that has been asked multiple times, and it makes you look dumb.

However, if you think just because you've posted here longer or you are "internet buddies with Zem&
quot; means your better than me, keep thinking that pal.

My statement 2 posts prior to this one was not directed at you. I did not quote you, I did not reference you. What I did reference was an answer to a question that has been asked not once, not twice, but three times now. All it takes is pressing the back button and reading.

Viashino Firstblade is not good in the meta where Blind Obedience is common. If Zem decided to play it, it meant he expected to not face it. Anyone with half a brain cell would understand that, however people ask. Ok, thats fine. The first time. If you are behind in the thread, go back and read it. Dont come asking questions that have already been answerered and then when "called out on it" (which I didnt do, see last paragraph) dont proceed to bitch and say "oh i cashed a gp" "I created this deck"

Give me a break.

On topic: I like Wear // Tear, 2 seemed too many. I still like one drops vs control here, as it gets under the most common hate
against us currently: Blind Obedience, Nightveil Specter and Non-Creature counterspells. Any else have success currently with still running Firedrinker Satyr's or am I the only one?

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:52 pm

I haven't faced a single deck I would want wear online. May just be my luck. In paper, I only have 1-2 players I want it against that run bows. I also haven't faced any control in ages so I'm still experimenting with toil using 4 black sources. Most of my matches are against black or blue so I'm focusing on them for now.

JS, I normally wouldn't say this but given the circumstances, it was not my intent to make my post rude.
Last edited by Elricity on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:58 pm

Sorry, you don't seem to be reading between the lines here. You aren't the forum police. All your passive aggressive bullshit doesn't make you smart, it makes you an asshole. If you don't like what I have to say, disregard it. There's an ignore button if you like. I've been around here long enough that you can't tell me I'm not allowed to ask questions. L_D who is a senior member of the forum doesn't need permission from DXI who has been here for a month.

On topic: I like the change to two wear // tear because it gives you opportunities for two for ones against both flavors of Esper, UW, and black. It's reasonable vs Dredge because it hits whip. We want to increase our chances of drawing it, and two aren't necessarily bad.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:00 am

I haven't faced a single deck I would want wear online. May just be my luck. In paper, I only have 1-2 players I want it against that run bows. I also haven't faced any control in ages so I'm still experimenting with toil using 4 black sources. Most of my matches are against black or blue so I'm focusing on them for now.
I think that likely is just lucky. Whip is pretty hard to deal with, and seems to be fairly popular, at least at my new LGS. It's not great against blue, but I don't hate it vs black.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:04 am

It really seems to vary. My store seemed to like blind obedience a bit but the only player I know that uses whip, I haven't seen. I won't run wear just for BO.

It's online that I can't figure out why I'm facing different decks than everyone else. I've never played against the mirror either. Then again, I play like...once a week at best.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:20 am

Elricity: No harm, no foul. At the end of the day, we're a team. We have these little spats, but at the end of the day we're cool. Let's get back to it.

What time are you playing? Timezones might be a factor.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:26 am

For online? Definitely is the time zone, central time. The DEs are 5 PM and 8 PM. I work until 6 and other factors prevent 8 - 11:30 from being a good time slot. Not the game's fault.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:27 am

I think I could maybe get away with VFB here, because people seem to be unprepared for Burn.

Then again after I cleaned them out last week, I might see some hate if I turn up to that store again.

I'm probably going to play in the $500 legacy tournament this Saturday and play at a different store for FNM, so maybe I can get away with it.

If you aren't running Toil // Trouble, do the extra scry lands still make sense?

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:27 am

For online? Definitely is the time zone, central time. The DEs are 5 PM and 8 PM. I work until 6 and other factors prevent 8 - 11:30 from being a good time slot. Not the game's fault.
I've heard Zem, MDU and JP players say the meta depends on timezone. I don't know. I only play paper right now.

lockiew
Newcomer

Postby lockiew » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:44 am

So, I've been doing a fair amount of testing with this deck lately, trying out the straight boros, splash black, and full black. I think my favorite and best version has the be the splash black. It plays 3 temple of malice and 2 of silence, so five black sources, and the splash is for mainboard T/T and Erebos. I've actually loved main deck Erebos as he is great versus incidental life gain from courser of kruphix and scavenging ooze, and just another skullcrack against heavy life gain decks. The card draw effect is also great versus slower midrange or control decks. To make this space I cut shock and one searing blood from the main. I'm also considering rakdos's return in the side. I think this makes the control matchups much better but the aggro decks slightly worse. What do u guys think?

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:49 am

That sounds interesting, but I don't know about Rakdos' Return without ramp. You aren't playing any blood crypt?

tzir
Newcomer

Postby tzir » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:55 am

If you aren't running Toil // Trouble, do the extra scry lands still make sense?
Absolutely, IMO. Scrying is just so, so good, especially with this deck; you can often find yourself, for example, drawing your fifth and sixth lands of the game instead of action, and suddenly you've used your last piece of burn, you're in topdeck mode, and getting another scry or two in can make or break your game. This is also the deck where I most often hold my scry lands instead of playing them first (though that can be partly attributed to Magma Jet).

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:01 am

But surely the blood crypts get the Axe?

tzir
Newcomer

Postby tzir » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:02 am

Yeah, there's no reason to run the Crypts without T//T.

lockiew
Newcomer

Postby lockiew » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:12 am

I am running T/T but don't feel the need for blood crypts. I had them in there for a while but then I had to start cutting mutavaults and the deck felt kind of clunkly. 5 black sources had been fine, since there only the two erebos that need black and T/T is just better with it, the black isn't that important. You can win games with erebos stranded in hand, its just harder. Its worked out great for me, I guess its just a question of consistancy and where you want to take your points, and where you want to leave them. On another note, I haven't seen anything particularly good for this deck in JiN, but theres still around a hundred cards, so maybe. The best card for us may actually be mana confluence because if they tap it two or three times, thats one less burn spell we need.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:19 am

Here are some videos of me running the T//T MD version of burn with 8 scry lands:

SE Report (6981650)
G1 Dredge vs Angry Phoenix, Dancing Satyr (MDU) SE 6981650
G2 Dredge vs Angry Phoenix, Dancing Satyr (MDU) SE 6981650
G3 (Epic Rage Quit) Rw Burn (MASSTAR) vs Angry Phoenix, Dancing Satyr (MDU) SE 6981650

The last game was quite interesting (if the tittle didn't give it away), I don't think T//T over YP$ is correct now what Ux is back on the rise (I don't think it correct simply
because Bx is still the top deck :P) but it does free up SB places which is good if your tackling a really diverse meta game.

I'm now rank 33 on the ladder, I should get near 20-25 by the end of the week.
Last edited by magicdownunder on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:22 am

Will watch when I have time. Thanks for posting these.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:53 am

tzir
Newcomer

Postby tzir » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:05 am

This is a pro-click for both the opponent's unimaginative flaming and MDU's total no-sweat brushoff. :hifive:

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:26 am

Here are some videos of me running the T//T MD version of burn with 8 scry lands:

SE Report (6981650)
G1 Dredge vs Angry Phoenix, Dancing Satyr (MDU) SE 6981650
G2 Dredge vs Angry Phoenix, Dancing Satyr (MDU) SE 6981650
G3 (Epic Rage Quit) Rw Burn (MASSTAR) vs Angry Phoenix, Dancing Satyr (MDU) SE 6981650

The last game was
quite interesting (if the tittle didn't give it away), I don't think T//T over YP$ is correct now what Ux is back on the rise (I don't think it correct simply because Bx is still the top deck :P) but it does free up SB places which is good if your tackling a really deserve meta game.

I'm now rank 33 on the ladder, I should get near 20-25 by the end of the week.
Good videos man.

Mr. Metronome

Postby Mr. Metronome » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:43 am

Just got stomped out of round 1 of two consecutive 8-mans by Mono Black, in the first one he drew 2 Demons in game 3 after duressing both of my Chains, and in the 2nd one I drew literally half of my lands (after scrying 3 to the bottom) and he was stuck on two lands for a long time but drew out of it while I drew no gas.

Game 2 of the 2nd 8man was equally frustrating with my opponent double-merchanting me.

It's possible I did something wrong, but I REALLY don't think I did... I could have cast no spells so my Young Pyromancer did more work later on, but then I'd have died to rats.

My 60 was the same as Zem's most recent (4 Shock, 2 Searing Blood, 3 Chain, 6 Temples).

15 was this:
[cards]1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Blind Obedience
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Assemble the Legion
1 Wear/Tear
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Spark Trooper
4 Firedrinker Satyr[/cards]

I brought in 2 Assemble, 1 Chained,
3 Mortars, 1 Chandra, 1 W/T for 4 Boros Charm and 4 Shock.

I'm getting really tired of losing to my good matchups consistently, especially with a GPT this weekend...

Can anyone think of mistakes I might be making without realizing it? It's possible I'm just on a cold-streak, I was doing quite well with the deck before.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:21 am

Perhaps keeping the Boros Charms over 3 Mortars + 1 W/T or bring in drinkers on the play vs Bx Devotion in order to close out the game faster.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:04 am

I can't critique your play without seeing you play :/
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:44 pm

I am boggled how you guys still get offended because someone plays the deck and doesn't find a requisite amount of skill to make yourselves feel better. I kinda got why people were annoyed at PV for saying it, because he's played like ten games with the deck, but if you play an 11 round tourney + T8 and make that statement I'm not really sure how you can complain.

Plus in the same breath, Zem gets asked the same stupid fucking questions every other page. That amuses me way more. :munch:

If you do well, it really shouldn't matter. I feel like we've gone past the point of 'oh we want to prove them wrong by showing the deck is good' to 'oh I want everyone to change
their worldview of how red decks are seen' in which case GOOD FUCKING LUCK. :rofl:
You haven't been here long enough. There is nothing that will not offend or cause whiny complaints. Finkel could win a Pro Tour with the deck and this thread would complain because in their mind he copied them.
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Midnight_v

Postby Midnight_v » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:42 pm

"All your passive aggressive bullshit doesn't make you smart, it makes you an asshole." Man I appreciate you so much, good sir.

I was thinking about just how awesome celestial flare is going to be in this next set with all that hate they're printing in white. I'm really hoping to get some much better cards at this point to help with the archtype.

Edit: MDU'S Ragequit video is amazing to me, I'm not accustomed to people doing that! :rofl: I mean shouldn't we smile and extend a "gg" win lose or draw?
"All your passive
aggressive bullshit doesn't make you smart, it makes you an asshole." - Lightning Dolt

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:45 pm

I found the ragequit to be rather hilarious, myself. MDU was fortunate to have two Helices in both games, but that's Magic. People take this game way too seriously.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:57 pm

i don't have searing bloods and am too lazy to find some for next FNM, What can i replace them with?

Return to “Archives”