[Primer] Boros Burn

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Elricity
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Elricity » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:47 pm

the card draw generated is good but chandra does the same thing and is more synergetic with the deck. i think running a couple in the side board against control would be great just remember he flips 2 cards when he hits twice so if you flip 2 spells without the mana to cast them then you've wasted potential damage against your opponent.
In order:

1) I already have 2 Chandra in the sideboard. Are you actually proposing I run 3-4? In what match would you use that many?

2) Jace and heavy removal makes him awful vs control. I tried a few games just to confirm it
and I can assure you that it is excruciatingly bad.

3) Yes, I agree that tapping out main phase 1 is generally a poor strategy in burn on or after turn 4, excluding playing phoenix.

zenbitz

Postby zenbitz » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:02 pm

I, too find chandra really hard to play vs. control. 4 mana for "deal 1 damage and target opponent discards one removal spell" is pretty blah. Maybe I should save her until 6-7 mana so I have a chance of getting something off the +0,

I don't see Titan's Strength being THAT MUCH WORSE than shock (except on turn 1...although given pheonix/yp turn 1 shock is situational anyway). Shock was the card were are always cutting anyway... and it just seems insane with flamespeaker. They can't block and they can't not block

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:58 pm

Control doesn't always have the dsphere for Chandra and if they don't, they just lose.

I'm just having a hard time justifying titan's strength in a potentially 14 creature deck. Call me crazy.

Nezeru
Newcomer

Postby Nezeru » Thu May 01, 2014 1:59 am

Just signed up for the daily. I haven't updated my MTGO list at all so it's an old build but we'll see how I end up.

Nezeru
Newcomer

Postby Nezeru » Thu May 01, 2014 2:25 am

Round 1 vs All-In Red (RRozanski)
Won game 1 with tight play and Chandra's Phoenix, making sure to remove the right creatures at the right time and burn the face when I could afford to. YP did work - he killed it EOT but I Boros Charmed him in response to represent lethal on board and he didn't have the answer.
Lost game 2 to not drawing any burn with Chandra and him at 2. Possibly unnecessarily played around Searing Blood when it would have killed me, could have killed him with a Mutavault if he had no removal and then he played two Skullcracks.
Won game 3 with double Peak Eruption leaving him on one land even though I shocked myself twice with lands to get to 3 mana by turn 3 and Searing Blood on turn 2. Firedrinker Satyr is extremely bad against us, not sure why he kept it in.
Boarding:
Game 2: +2 Mizzium Mortars +1 Chained to the Rocks +1 Warleader's Helix +1 Blind Obedience +1 Spark Trooper -2 Boros Charm -4
Skullcrack
Game 3: (from maindeck) +1 Mizzium Mortars +1 Chained to the Rocks +1 Blind Obedience +3 Peak Eruption +1 Spark Trooper +1 Warleader's Helix -4 Skullcrack -4 Boros Charm

Deck:
[deck]
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

3 Chained to the Rocks

1 Chandra, Pyromaster

3 Shock
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Skullcrack
3 Searing Blood
4 Boros Charm
3 Warleader's Helix

2 Boros Guildgate
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
9 Mountain

Sideboard
2 Assemble the Legion
1 Blind Obedience
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Glare of Heresy
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Peak Eruption
1 Spark Trooper
3 Viashino Firstblade
1 Warleader's Helix
[/deck]

Nezeru
Newcomer

Postby Nezeru » Thu May 01, 2014 3:22 am

Round 2 vs MonoB Devotion (OniiChan)
Game 1 turn 1 Mutavault is met by turn 1 Swamp + Thoughtseize taking my Lightning Strike. Starting keep was Mutavault, Mountain, Temple, Foundry, Magma Jet, YP$, Lightning Strike. I think this was his first mistake. First draw was YP$. Second turn he Thoughtseizes again and takes a Pyromancer. I draw a Mountain, play Temple, swing again (20-12). he plays NVS. I draw Helix, play Mountain, pass and Helix the NVS during combat. I eventually win by topdecking Shock when he has lethal on board. Chandra was involved too.
Boarding: -3 Shock -2 Searing Blood +2 Assemble +1 Blind Obedience +1 Chained +1 Helix
First hand mulligan: 2x CP, Jet, Strike, Charm, Charm, Chained lol.
Second hand keep: Temple, Charm, Crack, Phoenix, Vault. Draw Foundry, play Vault and pass. He plays turn 3 Pack Rat and I have no answers so I play the Blind Obedience I drew and hope to get lucky, but couldn't answer
his consecutive turn 4 and 5 Desecration Demons into turn 6 Gray Merchant.
I boarded out the Blob I had accidentally boarded in, and brought back a Shock for game 3.
Game 3 my hand had 18 points of burn by turn 2. Starting hand Foundry, Mountain, Temple, Charm, Crack, 2 Helix, first draw Crack#2. My second draw was Assemble, but no real way to deal with his turn2 Pack Rat. I scryed into Mutavault, which I kept on top. He made a Pack Rat and hit me for 2 ditching Bile Blight. I EOT Skullcracked (Boros Charmed him turn2) life totals 18-13. He Thoughtseizes me turn 4 and takes a Helix, so if I hit Boros Charm I win, but if he takes Assemble he's dead within two more turns.. Assemble can't race his Rats unless I burn a Rat and topdeck a land, which I don't want to do, and I still get blown out by Bile Blight.. He makes another Rat (discarding NVS) and hits me for 6, I Helix EOT (life totals 16-7, he can have 16 power in play next turn but one can't attack so I should have two turns to draw two burn spells,
one Boros Charm) My draw is Sacred Foundry. If I go Foundry into Assemble, I'm dead on board in two turns no matter what I draw, so I just passed with three cards in hand (Foundry, Assemble, Skullcrack). Assemble is way too slow against turn2 Pack Rat with no removal draw. He made another Rat and Pharika's Cure in response to my EOT Skullcrack...what the fuck? people play that card? and of course I drew another land. 1-2 in a very good matchup, figures I can't deal with Pack Rat two games in a row.

Round 3 vs All-In Red (HugoVenda)
Game 1 he got luckier than me and had two instant-speed removal spells to my one when he runs only 4.
Game 2 I mulliganed a one-lander into Mutavault, mountain, Shock, Chained, Blood, Phoenix which I kept, figuring it's better than a random five-carder. I won with Phoenix when he flooded.
Game 3 he double Peak Eruptioned me and I never hit 4 mana for my two Helixes before I died after taking five turns and still having a land in hand.

At 1-2 I dropped.

zenbitz

Postby zenbitz » Fri May 02, 2014 3:42 pm

nyx fleece ram sucks. Especially with Jace.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri May 02, 2014 4:37 pm

Titan's Strength is terrible in a burn deck. It is exactly the opposite of what we're trying to do.

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Fri May 02, 2014 4:57 pm

Yeah, we like our opponent's removal to be bad, not really good. If they 2-for-1 us, it's miserable, and if they keep killing our critters and we get stuck with Strengths in hand, we're in trouble.

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Fri May 02, 2014 5:00 pm

Took the deck to FNM last week to a 4-1 4th in standings finish. Beat Bantchant, MBD, lost to MBD, beat Br devotion, MBD. Dat meta.

zenbitz

Postby zenbitz » Fri May 02, 2014 6:45 pm

Titan's Strength is bad in the same way Chained to the Rocks is bad (because it's sometimes dead or can lead to a 2-for-1). Or young pyromancer with no shock/jet back up is bad. It's actually slightly less hassle to lava spike them off of a token or pheonix than it is to get a YP out with a backup. If you tap out I can safely add TS to any creature. But if I tap out for YP you can untap and kill it without a response.

Possibly more interesting is that Prophetic Flamespeaker is the removal magnet (and that was the only reason I was considering TS anyway).

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Fri May 02, 2014 8:17 pm

I still assert Flamespeaker will either survive or fail entirely on its own in this shell. If it needs extra support to be good, don't run it.

I'm not the least concerned about the new ram.

Rhyno

Postby Rhyno » Fri May 02, 2014 8:44 pm

I on the other hand am concerned with the Ram. I've been doing a lot of paper testing and the Ram hurts my matchup against control quite badly post board. I might have to value Wear//Tear higher now.

zenbitz

Postby zenbitz » Fri May 02, 2014 9:22 pm

One Ram is just a little annoying.. I mean a 0/5 is only going to block YP or a token. but we have to either 2 for 1 it, chain it, or banish it. And it's only CMC2 so only chains tempo-favorable. Ignoring it means you have to go from ~7 burn spells to 10. So that's about 2 more turns assuming we don't run out of gas.

Two Rams or a Ram and a Jace is very bad. Like worse than 2 desecration demons bad. It's not quite like Obezdat or Whip where we don't even have an out, but it's very hard to win unless they are already down below 10 life.

I do think flamespeaker is pretty good tech against Rams but it's a 5 so you need lightning strike (or some other card I won't mention) AZ would work, but they probably won't block it. Ram can also be suited up. Ram+Godsend is pretty much GG, unless you can already do 5/turn.

Rhyno

Postby Rhyno » Fri May 02, 2014 9:45 pm

Wear//Tear is instant speed and less narrow against control, and still costs 1. I was also testing an Ash Zealot version and the Ram completely embarrasses it.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri May 02, 2014 10:05 pm

A strong argument can be made for Wear / Tear now. There are a LOT of enchantments that will be played and in a lot of cases it will be a one mana Terminate. I expect a lot of people to force Naya Hexproof and that's even further justification to find room for it.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat May 03, 2014 1:00 am

Titan's Strength is bad in the same way Chained to the Rocks is bad (because it's sometimes dead or can lead to a 2-for-1). Or young pyromancer with no shock/jet back up is bad. It's actually slightly less hassle to lava spike them off of a token or pheonix than it is to get a YP out with a backup. If you tap out I can safely add TS to any creature. But if I tap out for YP you can untap and kill it without a response.

Possibly more interesting is that Prophetic Flamespeaker is the removal magnet (and that was the only reason I was considering TS anyway).
Stop.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Sat May 03, 2014 1:07 am

I think that if Wear // Tear becomes more prevalent in SBs (as seems to be the case), then Banishing Light ceases to become a consideration in the 75. I was considering swapping out my 1x CtR and 1x W/T for 2x Banishing Light; trading tempo for versatility. But if we play more enchantment removal, then Banishing Light becomes considerably less useful, at least out of the board. And I don't think Banishing Light will make my maindeck.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sat May 03, 2014 5:57 am

I played with the list posted above at two FNMs tonight.

Went 3-1 in the first ( esper control 1-2 (Flooded badly), RW Devo 2-0 (strange build), MBA 2-0 (nearly a bye), junk reanimator 2-1 (skullcracks <3)).

went 3-2 in the second ( GR Monsters 1-2 (still a rough matchup, didn't draw exile effects), GW hexproof 2-1 (inexperienced player with and awkward build), Junk lifegain (drew skullcracks twice at the right time) 2-1, Br devo 2-0 (anger was awkward, but Assemble the Legion for the scoop), Bant super friends 1-2 (all four coursers T3-6 and never missed a land drop, are you a wizard?).

I think Banishing Light was really good, and I really like Elricity's split. I think it's worth further testing.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Sat May 03, 2014 6:34 am

went 4-1 split top 4 tonight (beat rb midrange dictate of gods brew, lost to esper (close, misplay on my part but a good learning experience), jund monsters, sphere of safety deck, and dredge (in g3 he had to leave so I got the win). 4 shock 2 searing blood, 2 chains, 1 banishing light (i listed these because I feel this is where the current discussion is.) Ran 1 mana confluence over the guildgate, it was fine. ALOT of GW running around Atlanta, and hexproof as well.

Got an IQ tomorrow, contemplating -1 Searing Blood +1 banishing light. If I do that I might cut the mana confluence for the guildgate. Ran two wear and 2 mortars, might go up on one of them.

yurp yurp

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Sat May 03, 2014 6:38 am

SB was:
2 wear
2 chain
1 banihsing light
2 mortar
1 muta
2 chandra
2 assemble
3 toil.

I want a 4th toil(maybe 1 dragon), but cant find the room... If i put the banihsing light main, maybe that will turn into dragon.

yurp yurp

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sat May 03, 2014 7:10 am

Went 3-1 in the first ( esper control 1-2 (Flooded badly), RW Devo 2-0 (strange build), MBA 2-0 (nearly a bye), junk reanimator 2-1 (skullcracks <3)).

went 3-2 in the second ( GR Monsters 1-2 (still a rough matchup, didn't draw exile effects), GW hexproof 2-1 (inexperienced player with and awkward build), Junk lifegain (drew skullcracks twice at the right time) 2-1, Br devo 2-0 (anger was awkward, but Assemble the Legion for the scoop), Bant super friends 1-2 (all four coursers T3-6 and never missed a land drop, are you a wizard?).

I think Banishing Light was really good, and I really like Elricity's split. I think it's worth further testing.
Yeah I'm fairly certain
more than 2 banishing light is too many. I can finally get behind the last 2 cards being wear and tear.

Longtoe
Newcomer

Postby Longtoe » Sat May 03, 2014 2:11 pm

is deicide not an option?
Standard: Red whatever variant is most meta appropriate
Modern: RB burn, infect, Twin, Bots
Legacy: UR delver, belcher

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sat May 03, 2014 2:14 pm

I may be able to go to a win a box tonight. Considering RW burn. Meta is typically control light and midrange heavy, so burn could be a mistake and it's possible I should just play GR Monsters, but here's what I'm considering.

[deck]
Creatures (8)
4 young pyromancer
4 chandra's phoenix

Spells (29)
4 chained to the rocks
3 shock
3 searing blood
4 magma jet
4 lightning strike
4 boros charm
4 skullcrack
3 warleader's helix

Lands (23)
3 mutavault
4 temple of triumph
1 temple of silence
1 temple of malice
4 sacred foundry
10 mountain

Sideboard (15)
1 shock
1 searing blood
3 wear / tear
1 glare of heresy
1 banishing light
3 peak eruption
2 chandra, pyromaster
1 warleader's helix
2 assemble the legion
[/deck]

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Sat May 03, 2014 2:34 pm

is deicide not an option?
I don't think Deicide is worth running unless the meta becomes very god-heavy. Wear//Tear costs less and is more flexible.

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Sat May 03, 2014 2:43 pm

Are people leaving 4 Chained to the Rocks between their main and SB while still playing Banishing Light? The way I've been treating BL is as a more expensive Chained with more flexibility. I can bring it in when I need another Chained or when I'm against control. I've been maintaining the numbers to be 4 total O-Ring effects, as I don't want to fill my deck with too many non-burn cards.

Another thought is this: if every deck starts to run O-Rings, decklists might adapt to run more enchantment removal, invalidating CtR and Banishing Light. In that case, does Spite of Mogis become good?

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sat May 03, 2014 2:52 pm

I like Banishing Light as a catch-all one-of.

I do not like Spite of Mogis.

Your points on people playing more enchantment removal is definitely correct, but in the case of this deck the enchantments we play are more for tempo so as long as they buy us a couple extra turns we're fine.

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Sat May 03, 2014 3:45 pm

I went to a win a box tournament last nigh at the LGS. About 8 to 9 people showed up. From the previous win a box tournament, the meta was pretty red aggro focused so I adjust my sideboard to have a bit more hate for it. Well, wrong there (again). I can't predict a meta to save my life.

[deck=Zman's Rw Burn with a Different Sideboard]
Creatures (8)
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Spells (29)
3 Chained to the Rocks
4 Shock
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Searing Blood
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix

Land (23)
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence
3 Mutavault
10 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
2 Assemble the Legion
2 Banishing Light
2 Blind Obedience
1 Chained to the Rocks
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Mizzium Mortars
1 Mutavault
2 Searing Blood
[/deck]

I got 5-0 for the tournament with my match ups against RB Minotaurs, BGW Control, BR
Control, WU Weenies, and BU Control.

Round 1 vs [mana]RB[/mana] Minotaurs

Yeah, this guy is running that deck. It's surprisingly more powerful than I initially gave it credit for, but only if it's disrupted.

Game 1 - I flood out to 9 and 10 mana and don't draw enough burn and removal to deal with the minotaur onslaught.

Sideboard: -4 Boros charm, -4 Shock, +1 Chained to the Rocks, +2 Banishing Light, +3 Mizzium Mortars, +2 Blind Obedience

Game 2 - He mulls to 3. That never ends well.

Game 3 - I played this match up like I would any other aggro match up. I assume that I am the control and try to trade aggressively card for card until they're in top deck mode. Once they're top decking, I usually have control of the game. This game I beat down with a phoenix until I was able to burn him out. Warleader's Helix and Blind Obedience were great for keeping my life total afloat.

2-1
Round 2 vs [mana]BGW [/
mana]Control

This is your typical B/x devotion list with green as its secondary color and splashing white for a few cards. I think he runs blood baron in the sideboard.

Game 1 - He takes a part my hand, but is never to resolve a threat himself. He just has a fistful of removal while I'm sitting on 4 mana, a bird that refuses to die, and a top deck of burn spells. By the time he's able to resolve a threat, I've burned him out.

Sideboard: -4 Shock, -2 Searing Blood, +1 Chained to the Rocks, -3 Boros Charm, +2 Banishing Light, +3 Mizzium Mortars, +1 Mutavault, +2 Assemble the Legion

Game 2 - My opening hand has an Assemble the Legion, but that's striped away the first turn. My opponent ends up in the same situation as the last game, but he's stuck on 3 land and I'm not. By the time he gets that 4th land, it's too late. I chain/banish his demons and close the game out.

About BG Control Lists: In my local meta this is the most popular form of
B/x Devotion/Control. They run 4 Abrupt Decay, then some number of Putrefy, Golgari Charm, and Deathrite Shaman typically. Abrupt Decay seems scarier than it really is. Its number 1 target is Chained to the Rocks to get back their demons, but honestly, it's too reactive for this deck. The most problematic card I've found is Deathrite Shaman. That card must be killed ASAP. The incremental life gain and its ability to exile birds makes its the most threatening card in the deck. However, its removal package is a bit worst and its devotion isn't quite as high. Play like you usually would against B/x Control and force them to use their decays on other targets. Do not let them keep a Deathrite Shaman on the field. Kill it over rats and maybe even demons.

2-0
Round 3 vs [mana]Br[/mana] Control

Just like B/x Control, but this time with red. This guy is a good player, but it's honestly no different than the match up above. I sided in the
same cards and played in the exact same way. The big difference is that in game 2, I got to use Assemble the Legion as just win.

2-0
Round 4 vs [mana]WU[/mana] Weenies

This was played the Round 3 opponent's wife. She's a good player, not as good as her husband. This is the first time I had gone against weenies so I didn't know what to do against it.

Game 1 - I took the same approach as I did with the minotaurs. I would play the control until they were top decking and then try to close out the game. The one difference is that I would run out Young Pyromancer early and try to protect him. The 1/1 tokens can only be dealt with through O-Ring effects but do well against the X/1 creatures the deck runs. Once my opponent started to top deck and pass turns to me without doing anything, I took that as my cue to go on a full offensive with Young Pyromancer and his tokens.

Sideboard: Honestly, I forget. I remember it was stupid though.
Like I took out a Chained to the Rocks then put one in. I do remember +2 Searing Blood though.

Game 2 - This one worked exactly like the previous game. Young Pyromancer held the field while birds and burn finished her off.
Round 5 vs [mana]BU[/mana] Control

Now for B/x Devotion/Control lists, this one with a blue splash. It mostly plays like the stereotypical Bu lists but with a couple different cards in there. Before the match, I offer to split with him, but he refuses.

Game 1 - He begins the game with double Thoughtseize. That hurt. I'm the aggressor in the match up but I can't resolve a bird a pyromancer for very long. In addition, I start flooding out a bit drawing 2 of my 3 mutavaults. Sitting at 6 land, I decide to start attacking with my mutavaults. If he has the removal, I'll draw it out of his hand. I'm not hurting for land and I figure I should put my mana and cards to work. He's still able to keep the board
clear (and I keep his clear) until I run out of cards and he plays Ashiok at 3 life. He uses the +2 and I have to read the card. I read it like this:

+2: Mill 3 cards, birds don't get to resurrect.
-X: Play a bird that Ashiok has milled.
-10: Target opponent exiles all cards from their hand and graveyard.

I read that ult again. This time as, "-10: I don't care."

My game plan is simple. I need to top deck a 3 damage burn spell. I don't do this for 8 to 10 turns. He uses Ashiok's ultimate once and then, by the end of the game, he's 2 turns away from doing it again (She's sitting at 9). I do draw a magma jet and use it after Ashiok's mill so I don't lose the results of my scry and it finds a Boros Charm for the win.

Sideboard: Same as before.

Game 2: He doesn't get a double Thoughtseize opener this time and we go about our usual shenanigans. The entire time I'm praying he doesn't use a discard effect as I have Assemble in
my hand and play it on curve. However, he uses that opportunity to Gray Merchant me for 7. That fucking hurt. He also starts the beat down with Nightveil Specter lowering my life total to the point where if he draws another Gray Merchant, I'm dead. Meanwhile, assemble is slowly ticking up and flooding the field. I draw all of my removal but none of my burn so I use it to clear his field as best as I can. I need to clear the field as much as possible for my soldier tokens.

Then, probably at the most critical moment in the game. I swing in with a mutavault and 6 soldier tokens. He blocks the mutavault with his own and then casts bile blight post blockers on my tokens. I have a skullcrack and lightning strike in hand with him at 12. I strike my own token to save the others and sneak in the remaining 5 damage. He's confused at first, but I explain the interaction to him. He's not a happy control player. I pass to him, he draws 3 cards and plays as many defenders as possible. I'm then looking
at my skullcrack and think, "There's no point holding on to this. If he uses Gray Merchant, I'm dead." So I EoT crack him for 3 and put him at 4.

Next turn I swing with 9 tokens and a mutavault for game. He has 3 blockers and downfall's the mutavault. They were close games.

2-0
---
Not a lot of people had the new cards so it was a tournament that was primarily BNG standard with a couple new cards. I really like running 4/2 chains/banishing light. Banishing Light is a great catch all and it really helps in the match ups where I can't burn some problematic card. It also helps ensure that I have my answer for the Demon on turn 4.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sat May 03, 2014 4:02 pm

nI think Banishing Light was really good, and I really like Elricity's split. I think it's worth further testing.
Yeah I'm fairly certain more than 2 banishing light is too many. I can finally get behind the last 2 cards being wear and tear.
Last two cards?

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sat May 03, 2014 9:54 pm

Yeah I'm fairly certain more than 2 banishing light is too many. I can finally get behind the last 2 cards being wear and tear.
Last two cards?
I'm certain on the sideboard being:
2 Chandra
2 Assemble
2 chain (total 4)
1 banish (total 2)
4 toil
1 mutavault (
total 4)
1 blind obedience
2 flex cards

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sat May 03, 2014 10:00 pm

Same starting place as me except I'm not 100% on the BO yet and I might even drop the Mutavault! :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sat May 03, 2014 10:18 pm

Same starting place as me except I'm not 100% on the BO yet and I might even drop the Mutavault! :)
:o

cloudscraper
Newcomer

Postby cloudscraper » Sat May 03, 2014 10:51 pm

Have you seen how EMBARASSING eidolon of countless garbage was on camera in this round on SCG?

Longtoe
Newcomer

Postby Longtoe » Sun May 04, 2014 12:31 am

I don't think you keep it in for that matchup. I think eidolon has a place mostly against other aggro or control.
Standard: Red whatever variant is most meta appropriate
Modern: RB burn, infect, Twin, Bots
Legacy: UR delver, belcher

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Sun May 04, 2014 12:43 am

I don't think it's good in standard; and even if it was, it wouldn't be good in our deck with 33 3>-mana spells.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun May 04, 2014 5:27 am

Not a playable card in Standard.

naranja
Newcomer

Postby naranja » Sun May 04, 2014 5:36 am

I played a Launch Weekend tournament at LGS, 5 rounds of swiss with cut to top 8.

I ran this list:

[deck]
BURN
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Searing Blood
2 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix

REMOVAL
3 Chained to the Rocks

CREATURES
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

LANDS
8 Mountain
3 Mutavault
1 Mana Confluence
1 Temple of Malice
2 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph

SIDEBOARD
2 Assemble the Legion
2 Banishing Light
1 Chained to the Rocks
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Mizzium Mortars
1 Mutavault
3 Viashino Firstblade
[/deck]

Basically the same list as I ran before JOU, but with Banishing Light in place of [card]Wear // Tear[/card] and a Mana Confluence in place of a Scry land. Thought process here was move the curve slightly towards an untapped source of R or
W. I want to try running 2 and go back to 6 total Scry Land but only had 1 on hand. Not sure about the viability of this.

This particular tournament had several weak players with weak decks.

Round 1 I played an unknown U/B build. I only saw about 4 cards in the deck (a Triton hero that draws cards and a black defender that turns on for blue mana). This player was inexperienced and the deck was overmatched. I won easily in 2 quick games.

Round 2 I played a more experienced player with a nearly Monoblack list. He splashed red for Dreadbore over Thoughtseize and Slaughter Games sideboard. I felt like this list was just a mistake - that deck doesn't need that much removal. Opponent also sided out Gray Merchant of Asphodel against me which is puzzling, but didn't bring in Slaughter Games. Still, I ended up losing the match in part due to a turn where I forgot to attack with 2 [
card]Mutavault[/card] into a clear board with him tapped out. I guess it is good I represented Skullcrack mana but really I just forgot to look at his mana before saying pass. Despite that mistake, I got him down to 1 life and had 4 turns to topdeck any burn. Instead all I got was land.

Round 3 I played an inexperienced player with a Monoblack build running only 2 Desecration Demon because that is all the player had. Some other weaker cards were played and I ran over this match easily as well in 2 quick games.

Round 4 I played an old school player who was just getting back into the game. He had an unknown W/B/R list but his mana was never working. I played 2 games on the draw and won both quickly. We then played two more for fun and I won both of those too. He had Underworld Coinsmith Hopeful Eidolon Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts and [card:
1mrn5n5b]Alms Beast[/card] along with some extort. I say he played red because in one game he played Temple of Triumph but I never saw a red card. Anyways, who knows what this deck was.

Round 5 was intentional draw into top 8 giving me a break.

Top 8 I was 7 seed vs a very experienced player with W/B Midrange deck. I died quickly. Game 1 I lost to Thoughtseize revealing my 2 Chained to the Rocks hand which meant Desecration Demon and Obzedat, Ghost Council was easily played. Game 2 I mull'd to 6 and ended up with an OK hand but again could not beat Obzedat. The key play was also Devour Flesh on his Demon vs my Chained, as the 6 lifegain was too much to recover from.

Observations:
I really liked Banishing Light. I only played it a handful of times (once to kill [card]Illness in the Ranks[/card:
1mrn5n5b]) but I can see the utility. Nice to know I have an answer for stuff like Whip of Erebos, any random enchantment and can still use it for problematic creatures. I feel like the 2 Chained 1 Banishing maindeck and 2/1 in side is going to be a good combination worth looking at.

Mana Confluence never really screwed me in games where I played it but it didn't exactly help either. Given that the card is serving a fringe role of fixing mana I don't expect it to be a worldbeater. Still, I don't want to go < 8 mountains and I'm not sure if I like 2 Mana Confluence over 2 scry lands. And I don't know if I should cut Temple of Silence or Temple of Malice. Possibly the white scry land, since Mana Confluence is more useful.

Obzedat wrecked me in both games. I have no answer for it currently. Aside from an emergency block + Boros Charm + another
burn spell salvation. Maybe Reprisal is worth a look as it also kills demons, Polukranos, World Eater and others but it still feels troublesome.

naranja
Newcomer

Postby naranja » Sun May 04, 2014 5:38 am

I don't think it's good in standard; and even if it was, it wouldn't be good in our deck with 33 3>-mana spells.
Which card did you think was not good in Standard? I wasn't sure which you were referencing given the discussion above about Eidolon of Countless Battles and Prophetic Flamespeaker

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Sun May 04, 2014 5:58 am

Which card did you think was not good in Standard? I wasn't sure which you were referencing given the discussion above about Eidolon of Countless Battles and Prophetic Flamespeaker

Pretty sure he was just referring to Eidolon of the Great Revel

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Sun May 04, 2014 7:48 am

I think Eidolon is more powerful the faster the format is (I.e., best in legacy or modern). Prophetic Flamespeaker's a different discussion, but I don't like him terribly much ATM.

Return to “Archives”