[Primer] Jund Monsters

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

[Primer] Jund Monsters

Postby Valdarith » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:20 pm

What is Jund Monsters?

Jund Monsters is a variant of the GR Monsters deck that became popular in Standard at Theros release. GR Monsters is a midrange deck that looks to ramp into Polukranos, Stormbreath Dragon, and a host of powerful planeswalkers and overwhelm the opponent with quality cards. It was considered Tier 1.5-2 until Born of the Gods brought two cards that would take the deck to a new level – Courser of Kruphix and Xenagos, God of Revels. The presence of these two cards quickly pushed GR Monsters to a Tier 1 deck as the deck immediately saw success in top-level tournaments. This quick success pushed many others to adopt the deck and it
quickly became one of the decks to beat. Enter Jund Monsters.

A few weeks after GR Monsters made waves in the Standard format, Cedric Phillips posted an article on StarCityGames with an idea to splash black in the GR Monsters deck and turn it into a Jund deck. The reasons were twofold: one, the inclusion of Dreadbore and Reaper of the Wilds pushed the GR matchup to be very favorable, and two, splashing black made the matchups against mono black and mono blue devotion much more favorable, the latter in particular being a match that GR Monsters classically had issues with. Kent Ketter, a GR Monsters pilot himself who made the finals of a previous SCG Open, took his version of Jund Monsters to a top 8 finish the following week, eventually losing to Chris VanMeter’s GR Monsters deck in three games due to a couple of fortunate draws on Chris’s end. VanMeter later stated how lucky he was to win that match and that he felt Jund Monsters was the deck to be playing. Many people, myself included, agreed and quickly
adopted the deck.

Why Jund Monsters?

To best answer this question, let’s analyze the GR Monsters matchups against the other Tier 1 decks in the format.

Mono black: slightly favored. The one card that can present a problem here is Desecration Demon, which can be hard to push through without a Xenagos planeswalker, Xenagos God, or Ghor-Clan Rampager. Postboard Lifebane Zombie can be an issue, but the matchup remains favorable there as well.

UWx control: slightly favored to favorable. GR tends to play more threats than UW has answers, especially postboard when GR gets access to Mistcutter Hydra, more planeswalkers, and Ruric Thar.

Mono blue: unfavorable. No removal for Master of Waves short of Polukranos, and Tidebinder Mage serves as maindeck hate for the majority of the creatures played. Almost impossible to beat if they curve out. The match becomes better postboard with access to Gruul Charm, Mistcutter Hydra, and Plummet, but still unfavorable.

Mirror: coinflip.
Whoever gets the more aggressive draw tends to win since the deck runs very little removal. Games usually end with opponents still having cards in hand.

By adopting Jund Monsters, matchups against all of these decks actually IMPROVE.

Mono black: slightly favored to favorable. Access to Dreadbore and Reaper of the Wilds makes dealing with Desecration Demon easy. Untapping with Reaper is the strongest thing you can be doing against this deck with so much of their removal being targeted. Lifebane Zombie postboard is still problematic but your answers to mono black are so much more efficient than GR Monsters that the matchup improves overall with access to the full suite of Dreadbore and some number of Ultimate Price.

UWx control: favorable. Dreadbore is never dead here and Reaper is a real pain for them to deal with. Postboard access to Sire of Insanity, Rakdos’s Return, and Golgari Charm are much more elegant solutions than GR Monsters presents.

Mono blue: slightly unfavorable to even. You still
have the same preboard issues as GR with the exception of access to Dreadbore, but postboard the matchup becomes much better since you have full access to Dreadbore and Ultimate Price, the latter of which deals with Master of Waves. You can even bring in Golgari Charm as more insurance against Master.

GR Monsters: favorable. You’ll still lose to nutdraws every so often, but you’re playing two cards that GR really doesn’t like seeing in Dreadbore and Reaper of the Wilds. They literally have no answer to the latter. It doesn’t die to Mizzium Mortars, it kills all of their threats in a straight-up fight and trades with Polukranos with black mana open, and filters your draws when creatures die off.

But isn’t your mana base worse?

No! In the words of Kent Ketter, black is actually a “free splash” here. Of course, nothing is really “free” since you have to play 12 shocks instead of 4 which is significant, but the consistency of the mana base is unaffected. You simply replace
Forests with Overgrown Tombs, Mountains with Blood Crypts, swap in 1-2 Temple of Malice, and voila!

The undisputed inclusions

Elvish Mystic – self-explanatory. The only turn one play we have, and not a terrible turn two play either. Typically a bad draw in the late game.
Sylvan Caryatid – another good mana dork. Can’t be targeted, stonewalls aggro. Another card that’s usually bad to draw in the late game, but very necessary to this deck’s strategy.
Courser of Kruphix – the card that pushed this archetype to Tier 1. This card is insane. The sheer card advantage the card offers over time is so great that it can take over the game if left unchecked. If on the field with Domri, it can get out of hand very quickly. The four toughness is great against aggro decks and also makes it a decent attacker against undersized creatures. It is also a very well-positioned card as long as mono black
continues to play maindeck Bile Blight.
Domri Rade – another card that makes this deck tick. We run a lot of creatures so Domri will hit a little less than half the time on his own, but with Courser the chances become much greater. His fight ability is also very strong in a deck that otherwise runs a little light on maindeck removal. With Reaper of the Wilds you will be able to kill almost any creature you want whether your opponent likes it or not. I’ve fought opposing Polukranoses, Desecration Demons, Arbor Colossi, and other big creatures that are typically a nuisance but easily dealt with by the Domri/Reaper combo, and it’s a great feeling.
Polukranos, World Eater – a big fat dummy that also happens to be a wonderful mana sink. He is sort of a removal spell as well if you’re playing against smaller creature decks. A bit weak to mono black and definitely weak to UWx control, but against everything else he really shines.
[card]Reaper
of the Wilds[/card] – perhaps the most unappreciated card in Theros, Reaper of the Wilds was finally able to find a home in Jund Monsters. Five toughness is huge, hexproof makes it very difficult to deal with, and it kills or trades with any threat your opponent can play short of Blood Baron of Vizkopa. The scry trigger is also a big deal to help you filter draws for the late game. Don’t forget your scry trigger!
Stormbreath Dragon – a 4/4 flying, haste, protection from white that’s also a late-game mana sink. What’s not to love?
Mizzium Mortars – good spot removal and also a fantastic sweeper. Overloading this card against mono blue or GR is almost always a game-winning move. Mostly dead to UWx control in the maindeck, so the numbers on this card will vary depending on the meta.
Dreadbore – the best removal spell in Standard at the moment. For two mana you can kill any creature this deck cares about
short of Blood Baron and Master of Waves, and the former is easily dealt with by this deck anyway. Unlike Mizzium Mortars, Dreadbore is a great card to have against UWx control. It’s a card you’re going to want in every matchup.

Other popular maindeck inclusions

Scavenging Ooze – this is a good card to fill up the 2cmc slot. It’s a decent late-game draw against most decks since it get very large, and in the early game you can use it to trade against an aggro deck with an aggressive draw. Unfortunately it has the same problems as Polukranos in that it is slow vs UWx control and is not the best against mono black postboard since it dies to Doom Blade and Ultimate Price.
Boon Satyr – if you want something else in the 3cmc slot to go alongside Courser of Kruphix and Domri Rade, this is your guy. He actually doubles as a 5cmc spell as well thanks to bestow. He’s a lot like Ghor-Clan Rampager in that your opponents have
no good blocks if you have open mana to flash it in. It’s particularly good against removal-heavy decks since it effectively 2-for-1s them, and a good card to have against control since you can flash it in at the end of their turn and force them to make a decision to counter it, therefore paving the way for you to slam down an even more threatening spell the following turn.
Xenagos, the Reveler – good against most decks because it can gum up the field with 2/2s and occasionally provide extra mana for a monstrosity activation or a big postboard Rakdos’s Return. A bit weak to mono blue due to all their fliers plus Thassa granting evasion, but average against GR and VERY good against mono black and UWx control.
Xenagos, God of Revels – the other card that pushed GR Monsters over the top, Xenagod isn’t as good here because most decks are running fewer planeswalkers to accommodate space for Dreadbore. Playing Reaper of the Wilds over Ghor-Clan
Rampager also gives Jund Monsters less overall devotion to activate him. He’s still good, just not as good as in GR Monsters which tends to be a bit faster. Some may play Xenagod as a one-of in the main, but often times you’ll see this pushed into the sideboard for the GR Monsters and UWx matchups.

The sideboard

One of the biggest draws to Jund Monsters over GR Monsters is the improved sideboard. The most popular choices are included here.

Mistcutter Hydra – hate for blue. GR Monsters runs this for the mono blue and UWx matchups. Jund Monsters can sometimes afford to run more flexible cards in its place since it has access to more hate for these matchups, but some will still find room for this card in their sideboard because it’s just so effective against the decks you want it against.
Ultimate Price – Master of Waves and Desecration Demon are meany heads. Let’s kill them. Also good in the GR Monsters matchup and
aggro decks.
Dreadbore – we don’t typically run the full suite in the maindeck, so we allocate a couple of sideboard slots to complete the playset.
Gruul Charm – a lot of people like this card against GR Monsters but I’m not a fan of it in that matchup because we’re already running so much efficient removal that we shouldn’t have to falter one turn to win the game. I actually like this card against mono blue because with all of their fliers it’s almost a sweeper against them. It can also get your Domesticated Courser of Kruphix back which can be a big deal.
Golgari Charm – enchantment hate, regeneration, and a weenie sweeper all rolled up into one card. At its best against control since two modes are relevant. Insane against Wx aggro with all their x/1s and it bypasses Brave the Elements.
Abrupt Decay – uncounterable destruction for cards like Nightveil Specter, Detention Sphere,
Brimaz, Domri Rade, Courser of Kruphix, etc.
Xenagos, the Reveler – really shines against mono black and UWx. Not bad against GR Monsters since they run no Dreadbore or burn but can still get trampled through by Ghor-Clan Rampager so use with caution.
Xenagos, God of Revels – if not in the main, usually in the side for GR Monsters, mono black, and UWx (occasionally). No more than one in the 75.
Sire of Insanity – this card is insane against control (heyoooo!). Resolve this and enjoy the look of despair of your UWx control opponent’s face when he has to discard his perfectly sculpted hand and live off the top of his deck to try and answer your 6/4. I played with this card a bit during INN/RTR Standard and I never lost a matchup against control where I resolved this card.
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed – adopting tech from GR Monsters, this is another card that can be tough for UWx to deal with.
We can get away with a singleton since we get to run Sire of Insanity, so we no longer have to worry about drawing the second one.
[card]Rakdos’s Return[/card] – another devastating card for UWx control. I’ve also had this resolved against me in a Jund Monsters mirror match. Turns out this card is pretty good on the play against GRx Monsters if you can ramp into it.

Decklists

[deck=Kent Ketter’s Jund Monsters – SCG Open St. Louis – 5th place]
Creatures (26)
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Reaper of the Wilds
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Polukranos, World Eater

Planeswalkers (4)
4 Domri Rade

Spells (6)
2 Dreadbore
4 Mizzium Mortars

Lands (24)
4 Forest
1 Mountain
4 Blood Crypt
2 Mutavault
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple of Abandon
1 Temple of Malice

Sideboard (15)
1 Sire of Insanity
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Golgari Charm
2 Gruul Charm
2 Ultimate Price
1 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Xenagos, God of Revels
2 Dreadbore
2 Rakdos’s Return
[/deck]

[deck=Valdarith’s Jund Monsters]
Creatures (25)
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
1 Boon Satyr
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Reaper of the Wilds
4 Polukranos, World Eater
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Planeswalkers (6)
4 Domri Rade
2 Xenagos, the Reveler

Spells (5)
2 Dreadbore
3 Mizzium Mortars

Lands (24)
2 Mutavault
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Blood Crypt
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple of Abandon
2 Temple of Malice
4 Forest

Sideboard (15)
2 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Golgari Charm
1 Gruul Charm
2 Ultimate Price
2 Dreadbore
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Xenagos, God of Revels
2 Sire of Insanity
1 Rakdos’s Return
[/deck]

Playing the Deck

Coming soon

Sideboarding strategy

Coming soon

Additional Resources

Cedric Phillips's original decklist:
http://www.starcitygames.com/article/27 ... ditor.html

The Industry Standard: Jund Monsters At #SCGSTL:
http://www.starcitygames.com/article/27 ... CGSTL.html

#SCGSTL Deck Tech: Jund Monsters with Kent Ketter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOVIAXjH7rM

BBD vs. CVM: Mono-Black Aggro vs. Jund Monsters:
http://www.starcitygames.com/article/28 ... sters.html
Last edited by Valdarith on Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:36 pm

great write-up!

Quick question. Would you ever drop to fewer than 4 Polukranos? Does being a legendary create dead cards in hand, or do you just always want to see one and you don't care about multiples?
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:45 pm

I've tried three for a couple of months and come to the realization that four is the best number. Running less reduces your odds in the mirror and it's literally the best card you can have against mono blue which is your worst matchup. It also eats the first removal spell black can throw at it so multiples aren't terrible in that matchup.

Deht
Newcomer

Postby Deht » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:09 am

I wish Domri wasn't ~$30, otherwise I'd like to give this a try.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:41 pm

It is by far the most expensive deck in the format. Not for the faint of heart or light of wallet. Thankfully I've been able to amass enough store credit from wins and made good paper investments to get the cards I needed for the deck.

Volition
Newcomer

Postby Volition » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:59 am

I am loving "Jund Monstars" - feels amazing.

Sideboarding

Instead of posting my list (which is slightly different to that above), and then saying +3 XYZ -2 xyz - I feel it is better to talk about what cards are good and bad for each matchup, and then allow each person to make their own choices for specific numbers and sideboard. Please if you can add to this, let me know and i will update it from time to time - I think it would be handy to find the sideboarding info all in one place.

Mirror - GR Monsters or Jund Monstars
Take out- basically anything that isn't a large threat on it's own, or the best removal:-
Courser of Kruphix - incremental card advantage will not save you vs a heap of polukranos and stormbreaths
Xenagos the Reveler - too slow and doesnt work on his
own
Xenagod - doesn't pack a punch by himself
Sire of insanity/ruric thar - at 6, the game will likely be decided by this point. Leave them in the board

Add
Dreadbore
Ultimate Price
Anything else you are boarding that allows you to trade 1 for 1 mana efficiently with Polukranos. He who gets the polukranos first, basically wins.
If you are doing anything crazy and have reaper of the wilds or polukranos in the board, they come in.

Mono Black
Upgrade your monsters and add a little something to deal with the 1 creature we hate - a 6/6 for 4 - bloody desecration demon
Take Out
Mizzium Mortars - they really only kill creatures we aren't concerned about - nightveils (if they are bad and leave them in), Lifebanes, turn 2 pack rats (but your other removal will cover you in this situation)
All Polukranos - not effective in this matchup
halfish of your stormbreath
dragons - you want to upgrade your creatures, and in this matchup stormbreath is not your best creature given the huge amount of instant removal that will be in post board

Add
Dreadbore
Ultimate Price
Dark Betrayal
Rakdos returns - personal choice here - remember to not go too threat light
Any planeswalker you are sideboarding - chandra or xenagos
Ruric Thar
Sire of Insanity
Xenagod

Mono U
take out
Xenagos Planeswalker and God - just too slow for this matchup
Courser of Kruphix - once again, incremental card advantage and slow card advantage is not how you want to win this game

Add
Ultimate Price
Gruul Charm
Golgari Charm
Dreadbore - not as effective if they are playing the white splash version for ephara

UW & Esper
While not a major
point, I think Jund is favoured vs UW and unfavoured against Esper. The addition of thoughseize and doomblades/ultimate prices to the esper lists just tips it in their favour in my opinion. That being said, the game plan is the same - Go big and have more threats than they can answer.
Take out
Polukranos - this isn't the match for this big dog
mizzium mortars

Add
Some golgari charm - i wouldnt think more than 2 is necessary
Ruric Thar
Sire of Insanity
Any planeswalkers in the board
Xenagod
Any Reaper of the wilds in the board

Still to do
White Weenie and Mono Red
BW Control
Naya Hexproof

Please help me - where do these cards fit?
I do not play boon satyr or scavenging ooze, so if there are matchups they should be included or dropped, let me know and i will add it.
Standard: No thanks. A game based on who can curve out the best doesnt really appeal to me.
Modern: Jund. dabbling on the side with esper mentor and grixis delver. I miss treasure cruise
Legacy: Not even I hate myself that much

finn62
Newcomer

Postby finn62 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:48 pm

I have played jund monsters for a couple of weeks now. Last week a won Game Day at a small shop with it. Last night at FNM I got crushed (went 1-3). Obzedat and Blood Baron were particularly troublesome. I just didn't see mortars when needed for the Baron. But Obzedat seems like a problem for this deck. Any suggestions for sideboard options vs. it/and or lines of play to deal with it?

Tanro
Newcomer

Postby Tanro » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:52 am

I am already running 4 golgari charm in the board without the land base. I mainly run them because they hose 2 of the worst cards for us to deal with in control matches. You can cast them off caryatid. Thinking of putting in 2 blood crypt as well.

Tanro
Newcomer

Postby Tanro » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:56 am

I have played jund monsters for a couple of weeks now. Last week a won Game Day at a small shop with it. Last night at FNM I got crushed (went 1-3). Obzedat and Blood Baron were particularly troublesome. I just didn't see mortars when needed for the Baron. But Obzedat seems like a problem for this deck. Any suggestions for sideboard options vs. it/and or lines of play to deal with it?
You just have to race Ghost Dads. I hate that card, it takes no skill to ride a Ghost dads to victory. Only options are instant speed removal, hope they are in a situation where they need it to block, slaughter games it out of their deck, or race it. That said, a smart BW player will resolve ghost dads at an appropriate time and ride them to a free win.

[
quote="Valdarith » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:41 am"]It is by far the most expensive deck in the format. Not for the faint of heart or light of wallet. Thankfully I've been able to amass enough store credit from wins and made good paper investments to get the cards I needed for the deck.[/quote]
Same here, managed to get 3 domri for free. Been building my land base for a while. Had the shocks and temples from good trading. Stormbreaths because I used to play RDW, coursers I got for free because as soon as BNG dropped people in my LGS deemed them as junk rares. Only thing I had to drop coin for was PolyK.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:16 am

Volition
Newcomer

Postby Volition » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:53 am

Hey Finn

I hate Obzedat more than most - the lack of instant speed removal just kills you. Now I have thought about this, and there were (in my addled mind) two options:-
1) Fated Conflagration (triple red... yuck); or
2) Dark Betrayal.

The second option felt much more appealing to me personally, as it would also be a way to deal with the biggest black
problem of them all - desecration demon. I know that Zem would shoot me for talking about sideboarding reactive cards, but removing their threats and swinging through is precisely what Jund Monstars is all about. My personal sideboard is:-
[deck]
Sideboard
3 Golgari Charm
2 Ultimate Price
2 Dreadbore
1 Sire of Insanity
2 Xenagos, the Reveler
2 Polukranos, World Eater
2 Dark Betrayal
[/deck]

I run 2 xenagods in the main in place of the polukranos. This is a personal touch and in my opinion isn't optimal - I just want to play with the new god on the block right now
Standard: No thanks. A game based on who can curve out the best doesnt really appeal to me.
Modern: Jund. dabbling on the side with esper mentor and grixis delver. I miss treasure cruise

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:42 pm

Thank you! I was going to see about getting a banner done. You just saved me the step of asking! Will add to top of primer when not on phone and can host.

finn62
Newcomer

Postby finn62 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:24 pm

I was thinking of those cards as well. I have a couple copies of Hero's Downfall too. I was just unsure of the double black (but I think its worth a try)

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:48 pm

You don't have enough black sources for Downfall. Four Dreadbore is more than enough.

finn62
Newcomer

Postby finn62 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:45 pm

This is my current build (The one I played at FNM and went 1-3)
[deck]
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Domri Rade
4 Palukranos, World Eater
4 Reaper of the Wilds
4 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Xenagos, God of Revels
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Dreadbore;
1 Flesh//Blood
1 Mountain
4 Forest
2 Temple of Malice
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Temple of Abandon
4 Blood Crypt
4 Stomping Ground [/deck]

Sideboard:
[deck]
2 Golgari Charm
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Ultimate Price
2 Deadbore
2 Rakdos's Return;
2 Sire of Insanity
1 Flesh//Blood
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Hammer of Purphoros[/deck]]

At Gameday I played the above -1 Flesh//Blood, + 1 Mortars in the Main. In the sideboard - 1 Flesh//Blood, -1 Ooze, -1 Hammer; + 1 Ruric Thar, +2 Gruul Charm.

At Gameday I faced another midrange G/R (but not a monster's build), a R/B Aggro, A U/G Midrange, and a Naya Hexproof. I beat the first three 2-
0 and the Naya 2-1. The adjustments I made were to face what I thought would be a more aggressive meta at another shop where I play FNM (also there are better players at the FNM shop).
As I said, I had a horrible night. Some of it may have been variance. But the Obzedat and Blood Barons seemed to be my major issues. I will take the advice you have given me thus far.
If you have any other advice about my deck I would be glad to have it. I know the 2 Xenagods are not customary, but I love the bonus and haste they provide until it becomes an active creature.
I also am considering bringing Ghor-Clan Rampager back. I understand that Reapers are an all-around better card, but I sure miss that blood-rush! I do have the mutavaults, but without the blood-rushing Rampager I cut them.
Again any feedback is appreciated.

Volition
Newcomer

Postby Volition » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:37 pm

You don't have enough black sources for Downfall. Four Dreadbore is more than enough.
But isn't the issue with Dreadbore that it is sorcery - and therefore cant hit either blood baron OR Obzedat?

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:44 pm

Downfall can't hit Baron either.

Dreadbore is a MUCH better card than Downfall anyway.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:53 am

Downfall can't hit Baron either.

Dreadbore is a MUCH better card than Downfall anyway.
Funny, the judge at my FNM was saying I was stupid for running a 4/2 Dreadbore/Downfall split in my BR deck 'because instant speed bro'!

he's an idiot

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

Volition
Newcomer

Postby Volition » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:26 am

Another potential sideboard card missed was Putrify. Although, it is an instant speed and worse dreadbore. So really not an issue. If you are that concerned about it, just board dark betrayal. Screw it.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:15 am

1 mana is huge.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:58 am

I've never really had a problem with Blood Baron or Obzedat. We run big fatties and Mizzium Mortars for the former and I'm usually too busy killing them to worry about the latter.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:32 pm

Pretty much. This isn't a deck that works well if you try to become overly reactive. The deck is primarily aggressive.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

finn62
Newcomer

Postby finn62 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:48 pm

Pretty much. This isn't a deck that works well if you try to become overly reactive. The deck is primarily aggressive.
I get that. And when I was running G/R monsters I was consistently able to run over those threats. I guess an instant removal that allows me to deal with non-monocolored cards like putrefy ordark betrayal in place of Ultimate Price in the sideboard will help without changing the deck's intent.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:27 am

My prediction: This deck will eventually take out all its elvish mystics, shave on domris, and just play a pure Jund goodstuff deck.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:38 am

If Esper increases in popularity, I can definitely see it. It's actually plausible now due to fewer turn one untapped green sources for Mystic. It would probably bring in more maindeck removal like Abrupt Decay to hedge against aggro.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:08 pm

ROFL I wake up today and what do you know but Reid Duke says at the end the exact same thing I predicted is what hes working on XD

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:12 pm

[deck]
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Desecration Demon
2 Mizzium Mortars
4 Reaper of the Wilds
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Dreadbore
4 Courser of Kruphix
2 Polukranos, World Eater
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Xenagos, the Reveler
2 Rakdos's Return
1 Sire of Insanity
2 Hero's Downfall
3 Thoughtseize

1 Mutavault
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Swamp
4 Blood Crypt
4 Temple of Malice
1 Golgari Guildgate
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple of Abandon

SB: 2 Ultimate Price
SB: 2 Golgari Charm
SB: 1 Rakdos's Return
SB: 2 Stormbreath Dragon
SB: 1 Sire of Insanity
SB: 2 Lifebane Zombie
SB: 2 Mizzium Mortars
SB: 2 Abrupt Decay
[/deck]

Real rough sketch I made last night, don't have time to organize it just somet hings to think of. Mana base isn't fixed either. Stormbreath dragon should probably be something else....

Desecration demons at first thought, changing that

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:57 pm

I think you want Abrupt Decay over Hero's Downfall. You already have Dreadbore, double black is shaky, and Abrupt Decay is more valuable against aggro while sniping DSphere from control.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:18 pm

Reid Duke released a nice article about this deck today.
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:51 pm

My prediction: This deck will eventually take out all its elvish mystics, shave on domris, and just play a pure Jund goodstuff deck.
I took them out a few weeks ago because I hate mana dorks - never did get around to testing it any, though.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:41 pm

Huh it is interesting redthirst. I noticed that having lots of taplands really hurts your gameplan with manadorks from turn 1. Having caryatids is fine as they ramp to 4 which seems much more important than going to 3.

I dont really understand shaving domris as they are mostly for fight ability. They dont need to be cast on turn 3.

What are you getting in elves slots?
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:12 pm

I think in order to cut Elvish Mystic we need to go with a less aggressive gameplan.

Reid Duke has put a couple of articles on Jund on CFB, but although he calls his deck Jund Monsters it is far from that. His only "monsters" are two Polukranos and his deck plays MUCH differently from the intended strategy of the actual Jund Monsters deck. I think he has a lot of good ideas and there is probably an optimal build somewhere between the initial Jund Monsters list and the strategy that Duke is employing.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:29 pm

If I were to go away from the Domri builds, I'd go with something like this:

[deck]
Creatures (21)
4 Sylvan Caryatid
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Reaper of the Wilds
3 Polukranos, World Eater
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells (15)
4 Mizzium Mortars
3 Dreadbore
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Xenagos, the Reveler
2 Rakdos's Return

Lands (24)
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Stomping Ground
4 Blood Crypt
4 Temple of Abandon
1 Temple of Malice
1 Golgari Guildgate
2 Mutavault
4 Forest

Sideboard (15)
1 Dark Betrayal
2 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Skylasher
2 Ultimate Price
1 Dreadbore
2 Golgari Charm
1 Unravel the Aether
1 Slaughter Games
1 Sire of Insanity
1 Rakdos's Return
[/deck]

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:48 pm

The video is a generic midrange deck, the article is actually jund monsters.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:00 pm

Dunno what to tell, first 4 games I did with this deck was 4 times vs mono black. I got literally 10 times turn 1 thoughtseize my removal turn 2 pack rat.

I managed to 6-4 those matches. Dunno if it is every time like that or only sometimes?

EDIT

Up to 13 games vs black, this time only 2 times got rat on 2, however on turn 5 and 6 got total of 4 rats. Still managed to 8-5 :)
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:05 am

This deck can fight through turn two Pack Rat with a lot of success.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:15 am

Yeah and now destroyed burn. He got me game 2 with reckoners, however game 3 I sb in some putrefys and decay and managed them.

Bow, Primeval Bounty, Scavenging Ooze, Courser of Kruphix... Finished game 3 at 29 life. He never got a chance.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:19 am

Btw Primeval bounty is a card mono black cant win against. very similar to assemble the legion.
Thinking about Vraska, Xenagod, and this mill 10 get back random card at upkeep.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:26 am

Primeval Bounty seems like a solid one of.

If you can stick a Courser vs burn it makes the matchup a lot easier. It's still not a favorable matchup though. You just have to scry aggressively into Courser or Rakdos's Return.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:54 am

Btw Primeval bounty is a card mono black cant win against. very similar to assemble the legion.
Thinking about Vraska, Xenagod, and this mill 10 get back random card at upkeep.
deadbridge chant
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Return to “Archives”