[Primer] RDW

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:15 am

[deck]4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Foundry Street Denizen
3 Legion Loyalist
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
3 Firefist Striker
2 Ash Zealot
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
3 Rubblebelt Makka

4 Stoke The Flame
3 Lighting Strike
1 Titan Strength

18 Mountain
3 Mutavault[/deck]

List from PTM15:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6xogxpiDEQ&sns=em

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:22 am

I don't understand why he's not splashing white

I mean, with the pain lands splashing is basically a given right now

Also, it seems that the R/W aggro decks are also playing Banishing Light...

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

Longtoe
Newcomer

Postby Longtoe » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:03 pm

I think the straight Red version is soft to monoblue while the R/W version will be at a disadvantage in the aggro mirror. Pick your poison I guess.
Standard: Red whatever variant is most meta appropriate
Modern: RB burn, infect, Twin, Bots
Legacy: UR delver, belcher

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:50 pm

Considering that way more people are playing mono blue I know what I'd pick :p

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:50 am

You literally just need to draw legion loyalist to beat mono-blue which is why they chose to run one in the side.

Having said that, I was gonna play Rabble red today at a standard event, but I couldn't get a 4th BTE so I played boss sligh instead and had to split he finals because my opponent was GW agro.

If I was playing rabble red, I'd have crushed GW cause this is the sideboard I was gonna use:

[deck]4 Mizzium Mortars
3 Prophetic Flamespeaker
3 Skullcrack
2 Magma Spray
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Mutavault[/deck]

How do they ever win if I board out 12 one drops and bring in everything but skullcrack? I don't know either. The board the Revolution ended up using looked like this FYI:

[deck]2 Dynarcharge
2 Titan's Strength
1 Legion Loyalist
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Magma Spray
2 Skullcrack
4 Eidolon of the Great Reveal[/deck]

I don't fully understand it, but I also have played magic all day, am tired,
and just scene the board so I'll assume there's a method to the madness. Tom Ross is the designer of the deck after all.

One things for sure, after playing boss sligh through 8 rounds of magic today and dealing golgari charms, drown in sorrows, nylea's disciples, wall of essences, etc. and coming out on top, I'm tired of that deck and ready to get use out of my rabblemasters. Dragon mantles basically the worst card ever and Burning-Tree Emissary>convoke stoke the flames is sweet. I don't care about playing powerful cards, but I also don't like having to be much better then my opponents every round and fighting for all my 2-1 victories through 3 games of sweepers.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Longtoe
Newcomer

Postby Longtoe » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:49 pm

LP, I like revolution's board for the most part. I feel really naked playing a red deck with only 2 skullcrack though. Maybe cut a titan's strength and an eidolon to round out the cracks. However, if gary's days are numbered based on the PT results we may not need as many cracks.
Standard: Red whatever variant is most meta appropriate
Modern: RB burn, infect, Twin, Bots
Legacy: UR delver, belcher

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:33 pm

Don't bring in skull crack vs mono black. It doesn't help you in the games you're losing which are the games where they play infinite removal into demon.

Patrick chapin

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:55 pm

wise nigga is wise.

yurp yurp

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:10 pm

How do you guys feel about Hushwing Gryff in the sb vs. Gary/Waterhorselord?

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:17 pm

Yes.

Patrick chapin

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:33 am

This is probably bad but taking Rabble Red and Splashing White for Boros Charm main and sideboard cards:

[deck]4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Foundry Street Denizen
3 Legion Loyalist
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
3 Firefist Striker
2 Goblin Shortcutter
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
3 Rubblebelt Makka

4 Stoke The Flame
4 Boros Charm

8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Battlefield Forge
2 Mana Confluence
3 Mutavault

Sideboard:
3 Chained to the Rocks
3 Skullcrack
3 ???
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Magma Spray
2 Phyrexian Revoker[/deck]

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:48 am

It's not bad at all and is a fine plan. The splash isn't free, but it's minimal and you get very real gains from it. I can see adding white being the natural evolution.

Having said that, I finally got to play an event today using the PT list with my aforementioned sideboard and went 3-1. I lost round 1 to triple boros reckoner in a deciding game 3, but breezed through control, GW agro, and Bg devotion. The pilots where admittedly not amazing players, but they didn't play horribly or anything, and I got to see the sideboard cards in action.

In short, the GW matchup is indeed pushed from miserable to fantastic after board as flamespeaker and Chandra are gross cards. Not having Eidolon is mitigated by the fact that your CA engines are more broadly applicable against more matchups and actually improve your bad matchups dramatically.

Having put my eyes on the white splash now, I'm even curios to try it. Boros Charm
is good against control and burn, and chain is good against green. I'm 90% to play this at the WMCQ next week so there's a bunch of stuff to test.

Patrick chapin

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:39 pm

I've loved my white splash and can't imagine running the deck without it.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:01 am

Lets build a better Rabble. I'm unlikely to splash since I expect other red decks to show up in reasonable numbers, but testing demands I try everything. Lets go over the splashes:

Boros is the most appealing since boros cards are proven and battelfield forge is tits.

Izzet gives you steam vents and not much else. turn burn is unexciting as well as cyclonic rift and I ain't bothering with keranos. Military intelligience actually does something, but it's fairly off scripts and not worth it.

Rakdos and Gruul offer no pain lands and lag fairly far behind but black gives ulcerate as a fantasic removal spell along with access to thoughtseize. Not really what I'm looking for if aggro shows up though and underwhelming vs. BW and control overall. Gruul gives ghor clan rampager which is a beast and destructive revelry and domri out of the board which are both strong cards(also skylasher), but the mana is suspect. Burning-
tree does help though for everything but ghor-clan.

Now that we know all that, we should find out what it is we're in the market for to see what fits us best. First, what are we trying to beat? Well, UW won the PT, there where 2 jund decks in the top 8, and there was a lot of GW and Red aggro floating around, not to mention the Pantheon doing work with BW control. That's a ton of decks to prepare for which is unreasonable to aim for, so my Job is to look at my local region and guess whats likely to show up along with how the PT influences them. I'm gunning for BW, red aggro, Jund variants and GW which is a reasonable subset.

Looking at all these factors, I think I clearly want to splash white as all I care to get from any splash is boros charm. Making my guys indestructible and/or closing out games faster sounds awesome and Boros charm doubles as a "destroy target planeswalker card" on the cheap. The Rabble White would thus look basically like NBW list with maybe a different sideboard,
but you get the gist. Cards worth boarding in white include keening apparition, banishing light, wear/tear, and boros.

If anyone has better insight, post away.

Patrick chapin

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:58 am

Lets build a better Rabble. I'm unlikely to splash since I expect other red decks to show up in reasonable numbers, but testing demands I try everything. Lets go over the splashes:

Boros is the most appealing since boros cards are proven and battelfield forge is tits.

Izzet gives you steam vents and not much else. turn burn is unexciting as well as cyclonic rift and I ain't bothering with keranos. Military intelligience actually does something, but it's fairly off scripts and not worth it.

Rakdos and Gruul offer no pain lands and lag fairly far behind but black gives ulcerate as a fantasic removal spell along with access to thoughtseize. Not really what I'm looking for if aggro shows up though and underwhelming vs. BW and control overall. Gruul gives
ghor clan rampager which is a beast and destructive revelry and domri out of the board which are both strong cards(also skylasher), but the mana is suspect. Burning-tree does help though for everything but ghor-clan.

Now that we know all that, we should find out what it is we're in the market for to see what fits us best. First, what are we trying to beat? Well, UW won the PT, there where 2 jund decks in the top 8, and there was a lot of GW and Red aggro floating around, not to mention the Pantheon doing work with BW control. That's a ton of decks to prepare for which is unreasonable to aim for, so my Job is to look at my local region and guess whats likely to show up along with how the PT influences them. I'm gunning for BW, red aggro, Jund variants and GW which is a reasonable subset.

Looking at all these factors, I think I clearly want to splash white as all I care to get from any splash is boros charm. Making my guys indestructible and/or closing out games faster sounds awesome and Boros charm
doubles as a "destroy target planeswalker card" on the cheap. The Rabble White would thus look basically like NBW list with maybe a different sideboard, but you get the gist. Cards worth boarding in white include keening apparition, banishing light, wear/tear, and boros.

If anyone has better insight, post away.
Going Boros appears to be the best option (have yet to jam games with the deck) and offers the best tools and has the mana to support it.

Rakdos and Gruul are both interesting. You mentioned both Ulcerate and Thoughtseize but also Spike Jester plays pretty nice with all the other goblins in the deck.

My sideboard is can/should be optimized and I was mainly picking cards targetting specific decks/players in my local meta.

Toddington

Postby Toddington » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:18 am

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles ... -tour-m15/

[deck]Frank Karsten Special[/deck]

Another list exploring Boros, I think I like the Maaka/Loyalist plan though.

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:44 am

Rabble White has a lot of appeal for me. The splash for Boros Charm and maybe Chained to the Rocks is interesting.
SM, you complete me. :love:

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:58 am

I dislike splashing white for the reasons DeTora said in her article today (which is the best thing about Rabble that I have seen yet). It does not necessarily improve your hardest matchup vs Mono U, but it makes your mirror, burn and GW strictly worse simply from taking damage from your lands.

I see BW, jund walkers and UW builds rising, which means mono U and monsters will be on the decline. Id focus on streamlining the deck with 1 color, and making it as consistent as possible.

yurp yurp

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:22 pm

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:08 pm

^Great read! Now I'm really conflicted about what to run at the WMCQ, Rabble Red or Boros Burn...
Sig by NBW

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:03 am

I dislike splashing white for the reasons DeTora said in her article today (which is the best thing about Rabble that I have seen yet). It does not necessarily improve your hardest matchup vs Mono U, but it makes your mirror, burn and GW strictly worse simply from taking damage from your lands.

I see BW, jund walkers and UW builds rising, which means mono U and monsters will be on the decline. Id focus on streamlining the deck with 1 color, and making it as consistent as possible.
Doesn't Chained to the Rocks improve our MUD match-up? I don't see any reason why that's not the case. The damage from our lands does make the mirror worse if we stumble, but having an additional 4 Terminates in Chained to the Rocks might be worth it; plus Boros Charm =
counterspell on defense even through Legion Loyalist, so there's that. Burn is probably worse, though Chained to the Rocks gets to 1-for-1 with Phoenix instead of letting her block 2-3 of our dudes and then pull ahead... And Boros Charm is counterspell here too... Oh... Same thing against GW. I'm just not sure if the arguments strong enough... There definitely could be a reason for mono-R, but good players can play around these "downsides," IMO.

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:50 am

Doesn't Chained to the Rocks improve our MUD match-up? I don't see any reason why that's not the case. The
damage from our lands does make the mirror worse if we stumble, but having an additional 4 Terminates in Chained to the Rocks might be worth it; plus Boros Charm = counterspell on defense even through Legion Loyalist, so there's that. Burn is probably worse, though Chained to the Rocks gets to 1-for-1 with Phoenix instead of letting her block 2-3 of our dudes and then pull ahead... And Boros Charm is counterspell here too... Oh... Same thing against GW. I'm just not sure if the arguments strong enough... There definitely could be a reason for mono-R, but good players can play around these "downsides," IMO.
Against MUD, you simply burn out anything that gives meaningful devotion, and eventually alpha with a Loyalist after they drop a Master. Searing Blood is very effective in this matchup, and Skullcrack means that every now and then, they will block with a Master and truly regret it. First strike removing the
Master, and all the tokens poofing before regular combat? Excellent.

White is pretty unnecessary, imo. Not to mention you'd have to run 4 shocklands, 4 painlands, and 2-3 Mana Confluence to even do the splash, meaning a lot of self damage, for not a lot of benefit. Not to mention, Peak Eruption is still a thing.

Toddington

Postby Toddington » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:09 pm

[deck]Boss Rabble Red[/deck]

Hey guys, I typed out the Boss' SB
Plan, so thought I would share.
SB Plan
PDF
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/448 ... ble_SB.pdf

(Play / Draw)

Mono Black Lifebane
Out: Mutavault, Loyalist, 3 Strike
In: 4 Eidolon, Searing

Mono Black Specter
Out: Mutavault, Loyalist, (2 Maaka / 2 Denizen)
In: 3 Eidolon, (Eidolon / Searing)

BG Devo
Out: Loyalist, 2 Denizen, 2 Strike, (Satyr / Mutavault)
In: 4 Eidolon, Searing, Hall

BW Midrange
Out: Loyalist, 2 Maaka, 2 Strike
In: 4 Eidolon, Mortars

Mono Blue
Out: 4 Denizen, 2 Zealot
In: Stomp, Mortars, 3 Spray, Searing

GW Aggro
Out: 4 Cackler, 2 Emissary
In: Stomp, Harness, 3 Spray, Mortars

Burn
Out: 4 Satyr, 3 Strike, (2 F.Striker / Mountain)
In: 3 Eidolon, Searing, 3 Spray, Hall, (
Eidolon / ----)

Jund Monsters
Out: 2 Denizen, Loyalist, (2 Strike + Loyalist / 2 Denizen)
In: 3 Eidolon, Hall, Harness, (Eidolon / ----)

Jund Planeswalkers
Out: 2 Denizen, Strike, (2 Strike / 2 Denizen)
In: 4 Eidolon, Hall

UW/x
Out: 3 Strike, 2 F.Striker, (2 Maaka / 2 Denizen)
In: 4 Eidolon, 2 Skullcrack, Hall

Mono Green Devo
Out: Loyalist, 2 Strike
In: Mortars, Stomp, Harness

Boss Sligh
Out: 4 Satyr, F.Striker, (---- / F.Striker)
In: 3 Spray, Searing, Electrickery, (---- / Mortars)

White Weenie
Out: 4 Cackler, 2 Satyr, Emissary
In: Electrickery, Searing, 3 Spray, Mortars, Skullcrack

Junk Midrange
Out: 2 Denizen, Loyalist, (2 Strike / 2 Denizen)
In: 4 Eidolon, Harness

Naya Hexproof
Out: 2 F.Striker, 3 Strike, Stoke,
(Loyalist / ----)
In: 3 Eidolon, 2 Skullcrack, Electrickery, (Eidolon / ----)

Mono Red Devo
Out: (4 Satyr / 4 Denizen)
In: Harness, Searing, Stomp, (Hall / Mortars)

Naya Aggro
Out: 4 Cackler, Emissary, (2 Emissary / Mutavault)
In: 3 Spray, Searing, Skullcrack, (2 Eidolon / Skullcrack)

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:32 pm

LEvys deck and sb

[deck]
2 Ash Zealot
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Firefist Striker
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
3 Legion Loyalist
4 Rakdos Cackler
3 Rubblebelt Maaka

3 Lightning Strike
4 Stoke the Flames
1 Titan's Strength

18 Mountain
3 Mutavault

SB
2 Dynacharge
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
1 Legion Loyalist
2 Magma Spray
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Skullcrack
2 Titan's Strength
[/deck]

Sideboard and Matchups:

Vs. Esper

-3 Rubblebelt Maaka
-3 Stoke the Flames
-1 Firefirst Striker
-1 Ash Zealot

+2 Skullcrack
+2 Titan's Strength
+4 Eidolon of the Great Revel

Game one against Esper is very hard to lose. They basically need to have the perfect hand to beat you and that includes perfect mana, Supreme Verdict, and a good follow up. The other way you can lose that match is by having a bad draw (with only one land for example&#
41; or by flooding, but these are usually games you lose anyway. The deck is quite stable, so fortunately it doesn't happen too often. I'm just saying there's no “unloseable” matchup.

In this matchup, just like against most control matchups, your opponent is going to lower his curve and play cheap removal to match your creatures. You're going to take advantage of that and play Eidolon of the Great Revel in order to punish them for doing so. They have to either deal with the Eidolon quickly to not take too much damage, or play Supreme Verdict right away.

Skullcrack denies the life gain from Sphinx's Revelation, which is sometimes played for two or three in order to survive. As usual, this card has to be played at the right time.

Titan's Strength is there to help you deal with Jace, Architect of Thoughts. It's cheaper than Lightning Strike and allows you to filter your draws as any extra land draw in the late game is a pain.

The tricky part is what you take out. There
are a lot of plans you could go for. You could take out more Ash Zealot as you board in more RR casting cost creatures and you don't want to have too many of them in your deck.

Stoke in Flames isn't at its best in this matchup as it just an expensive Lightning Strike here that you'll only play targeting your opponent. Your creatures will be busy attacking...or being dead, so you'll need to actually tap lands to cast it, and if you have four lands and you're not attacking with Mutavaults it's usually a bad sign.

You don't want to have too many pump spells in this matchup, so you can take out the Maakas for the Titan's Strength.

Vs. UW

Same as above.

The Matchup is a tad bit harder (while still being a great matchup), as they aren't fighting as much with their mana as Esper. The Nyx-Fleece Ram could be somewhat relevant, but you have ways to overpower it (Rams can't really block Rabblemasters), and Firefist Striker prevents it from blocking.

Vs. Monoblack Devotion

-2 Ash Zealot
-3 Lightning Strike (keep them if they're playing Nightveil Specter) or -3 Rubblebelt Maaka
-1 Stoke the Flames

+2 Titan's Strength

Monoblack Devotion is a great matchup as well. You have way too many threats for them to handle and the only real problem you have is Drown in Sorrow. You pretty much win every game they don't have one, and since they aren't sideboarding in the full four, you're far ahead. Expect black sideboards to have more in the future if the deck gets more popular.

Titan's Strength helps you fight both Drown in Sorrow (by saving one of your creatures) and Pharika's Cure.

Make sure you know how the interaction works between Goblin Rabblemaster and Desecration Demon: you can't sacrifice the token that comes into play to tap the Demon on the same turn, as your trigger happens first and resolves after the demon's.

Also remember that Legion Loyalist
keeps the Pack Rat Tokens from blocking.

When they're running Lifebane Zombie, make sure you play your Burning-Tree Emissary first so they don't hit a free card against you.

Vs. Orzhov Control

-2 Ash Zealot
-3 Lightning Strike
-3 Rubblebelt Maaka

+2 Titan's Strength
+2 Mizzium Mortars

This is probably your best matchup. They pain themselves with their mana, don't have wrath (except maybe Drown in Sorrow after board), they can't gain life with Grey Merchant, and you can easily take out Blood Baron of Vizkopa with either Stoke the Flames or Mizzium Mortars (or even a pump spell, but keep in mind Rakdos Cackler is black).

Obzedat is quite tough to cast and even then, it will rarely blink as it will need to hold the fort, so its lifegain ability is close to irrelevant.

Vs. Jund Monsters

-3 Lightning Strike
-2 Ash Zealot
-3 Foundry Street Denizen

+2 Titan's Strength
+ 4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
+2 Mizzium
Mortars

Once again, a pretty easy game one. If you have a decent draw, and they don't have too many Golgari Charm, it's hard to lose.

After board, they bring in more removal spells, Golgari Charms, and they will rely on their Sylvan Caryatids, Coursers, and other big creatures to make sure they hold your attacks. Your sideboard plan is to overpower these blockers with your pump spells (you'll then have six), and punish them for their cheap spells ( Eidolon of the Great Revel). You take out a couple of Denises as it won't survive Golgari Charm or a fight with a Courser, even with Titan's Strength.

Remember to play your Firedrinkers first as it's the only creature that can attack into a Caryatid without being blocked.

Vs. Monoblue Devotion

-2 Ash Zealot
-2 Foundry Street Denizen
-3 Rubblebelt Maaka
-2 Stoke the Flames

+2 Dynacharge
+2 Mizzium Mortars
+2 Magma Spray
+2 Titan's Strength
+1 Legion Loyalist

Ok, here come the hard matchups.
They have cards that definitely annoy us. On the top of the list, of course, is the pro red Master of Waves. We don't have a way to deal with it at all; one could argue that we could bring in Skullcrack to fight it (if they block with it, play Skullcrack and its protection won't save it from taking damage), but it's a little far-fetched as Skullcrack won't do anything the rest of the time. Frostburn Weird stops most of our team, Judge's Familiar trades for our one-drops and slows down our beatdown.

They are mostly playing pre-sideboarded against us in game one as Tidebinder Mage is there specifically to fight red and green decks.

You can win the matchup though. What we figured out is that it really depends on which part of their deck they'll see, and what kind of beatdown you'll offer. We played games where they had the perfect turn 1-2-3 into Master of Waves, and still lost to your Rabblemaster/Loyalist draw. Legion Loyalist is the key card that will help you win
the matchup. It will allow you to ignore the tokens created by Master of Waves.

Unless you have your Rabblemaster/Loyalist draw early in the game, you'll need to do a few things to win. That usually requires you to keep their devotion low by killing their creatures (with extra removal spells) while building your army. Magma Spray deals with Tidebinder Mage and Judge's Familiar, Mizzium Mortars with Nightveil Specter and Frostburn Weird.

When the board is either stabilized or you have more creatures than your opponent, just launch the assault with a Dynacharge backup. It usually deals more than enough damage.

Dynacharge and Titan's Strength also protect your creatures from being stolen by Domestication (keep in mind you can only play Dynacharge on a creature you control, so if it's already gone to your opponent's side, it's too late).

Vs. GW

-4 Rakdos Cackler
-1 Burning-Tree Emissary
-1 Firedrinker Satyr
-1 Titan's Strength

+2 Mizzium Mortars
n+1 Legion Loyalist
+2 Magma Spray
Last edited by Purp on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yurp yurp

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:32 pm

Played out a few games against my friend's Naya Walkers deck to get a feel for Rabble White. Rubblebelt Makka + Boros Charm for lethal multiple games. Now to see if I can love the dream and B-Charm Rabblemaster.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:32 pm

^Great read! Now I'm really conflicted about what to run at the WMCQ, Rabble Red or Boros Burn...
After a lousy 1-3 with Boros Burn at the Game Day today, I'm going with Rabble Red for the WMCQ next weekend. It just fits my playstyle better.

So, which version to choose? Levy's deck or Ross' deck from above? Any thoughts of which is better?

Edit: The more I read up on this deck, the more I regret not playing it on GD. Feels like playing at M14 GD all over again, with Gruul Aggro and Hellrider...that was such a fun deck.
Sig by NBW

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:34 am

Just saw that there's 2 Rabble Red decks in the top 8 of SCG Open Syracuse. One of them is running Hall of Triumph. I knew this card was on the radar, especially after Frank Karsten's article, but I wasn't sure if it was the real deal. Anyone have any experience with it?

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:18 am

Played it last night and today and hall is solid.

Patrick chapin

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:00 am

[deck]4 foundry street denizen
4 rakdos cackler
4 firedrinker satyr
3 legion loyalist
4 burning tree emissary
3 firefist striker
2 Goblin Shortcutter
4 Goblin Rabblemaster

3 Rubblebelt Makka
4 Stoke The Flame
4 Boros Charm

9 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Battlefield Forge
2 Mana Confluence
2 Mutavault

Sideboard
3 Chained to the Rocks
2 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Skullcrack
2 Magma Spray
2 Prophetic Flamespeaker
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Legion Loyalist
1 Harness By Force
1 seismic stomp[/deck]

Went 3-1 crushing Esper, Grixis controls, and Rakdos Devotion. Only lost to Mono Blue Devotion by never seeing a Legion Loyalist to blow him out but still very close games. Got 2nd but going to drop white and try straight Rabble Red.

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:54 am

So by solid, do you mean it's a must have?

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:15 am

So by solid, do you mean it's a must have?
I think so. The deck is a known factor, so we have to prepare for sideboard cards against us. Electrickery, Golgari Charm, stuff like that. One Hall main and one in the side help with our attacks and to keep stuff alive. Looking at both lists above, I like Ross' more because of the Halls, but I'm not too fond of all the singletons in the sideboard. Levy's list has a 3/2 split on Firefist Striker and Ash Zealot instead of a 2/3 split, and I like that as well. And
the fourth Legion Loyalist in the SB.

So, based on that, this is what I'm currently sleeving up to test out before the WMCQ:

[deck]Land
18 Mountain
3 Mutavault

Creatures
2 Ash Zealot
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Firefist Striker
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
3 Legion Loyalist
4 Rakdos Cackler
3 Rubblebelt Maaka

Spells
3 Lightning Strike
4 Stoke the Flames
1 Hall of Triumph

Sideboard
2 Dynacharge
1 Legion Loyalist
2 Magma Spray
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Skullcrack
1 Hall of Triumph
1 ???
[/deck]

It's basically Levy's list with Halls instead of Titan's Strengths. The last SB spot is still undecided, but I'm considering all of these:

- 3rd Hall of Triumph
- Titan's Strength
- Harness by Force
- Electrickery
- Seismic Stomp
- 3rd Magma Spray
- 3rd Skullcrack

I'm leaning towards either Harness, Electrickery, or Stomp. Have to check the sideboarding guide to see what matchups Titan's Strength goes
in, and decide what's needed most.

Edit: Since the worst match ups will be Mono Blue and Boros Burn I've decided that the last SB card will be Electrickery. Takes care of elemental tokens in both decks. A third Magma Spray would be nice, and could help with getting rid of a Phoenix, but I think the sweeper is more necessary. Harness would be great against various Jund Monster decks and Mono Green Devotion, but I think it's more important to improve on the really bad match ups.
Last edited by Platypus on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Sig by NBW

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:19 am

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdata ... y=Syracuse

for the people interested in the two decklists :)

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:37 am

So 4 Legion Loyalist, 3/2 split on Striker/Zealot (although one have a 3rd Zealot in the SB, and Halls make Zealot a bit more interesting) in both. The one with Titan's Strength has a 3rd Dynacharge in the SB instead of more Titan's Strengths. I like the Flames of the Firebrand, but I think I might want Electrickery instead in the matchups where we'd want Flames.
Sig by NBW

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:10 pm

Levy's sideboarding guide for Boros Burn and Jund Walkers, from the comments:
VS Burn

One of the toughtest matchups :
+2 Magma Spray
+2 Skullcrack
-4 Satyr Firedrinker
-2 Ash Zealot
-2 Firefist Stricker

VS Jund Planeswalker

Very hard to lose game one, and again, it’s up to how many mass removal they have in the SB:
-3 Lightning Strike
-2 Firefist Striker
-1 Ash Zealot

+2 Titan’s Strength
Sig by NBW

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:15 pm

Armel Primot's top 8 from GP Utrecht:

[deck]
18 Mountain
3 Mutavault

4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Rakdos Cackler
3 Legion Loyalist
3 Firefist Striker
2 Ash Zealot
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Stoke the Flames
3 Lightning Strike
3 Rubblebelt Maaka
1 Titan's Strength

Sideboard
1 Titan's Strength
2 Skullcrack
1 Electrickery
1 Searing Blood
2 Magma Spray
1 Dynacharge
1 Harness by Force
2 Mizzium Mortars
[/deck]
Sig by NBW

RaidaTheBlade
Tire Aficionado

Postby RaidaTheBlade » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:55 am

[deck]
Creatures (27)
4 Rakdos Cackler
3 Akroan Crusader
3 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Legion Loyalist
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Ash Zealot
3 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Rubblebelt Maaka

Lands (20)
20 Mountain

Spells (13)
4 Madcap Skills
3 Thunderous Might
3 Titan's Strength
3 Hammerhand

Sideboard (15)
3 Harness by Force
3 Prophetic Flamespeaker
3 Skullcrack
2 Eidolon of the Great Revel
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Searing Blood
[/deck]

Version I'm looking at atm. Rabblemasters main aren't super amazing here, though I like them vs other aggro decks like the mirror. Might drop them and a mountain for the 4th foundry, 4th crusader, 4th titans, and 3rd maaka.

If I do, would like them in the side, maybe 2 in place of the searing blood, since they're both anti-aggro, and rabblemaster can also be brought in vs removal heavy decks like black and burn, to help go wide. Do y'all think this may be better?

[
deck]
Creatures (27)
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Akroan Crusader
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Legion Loyalist
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Ash Zealot
3 Rubblebelt Maaka

Lands (19)
19 Mountain

Spells (14)
4 Madcap Skills
3 Thunderous Might
4 Titan's Strength
3 Hammerhand

Sideboard (15)
3 Harness by Force
3 Prophetic Flamespeaker
3 Skullcrack
2 Eidolon of the Great Revel
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Goblin Rabblemaster
[/deck]

With potentially either the 2 mortars or the 2 eidolons being a third rabblemaster and a land, to help if I add in the flamespeakers or rabblemasters.

I dunno e.e I like the rabblemasters main, cause they're great, especially vs other small aggro, but I think it just slows be down too much and hurts my consistency a bit. But in the sided, them and prophetic compete some, each being 3-drop creatures that up the powerlevel, but drop the speed. Just dunno. Need some opinions, I guess. I've been running in too many circles, and outside thoughts help.
I, for one, would like to welcome our new firebreathing narwhal overlords.

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:59 pm

I'm finding it kind of funny that RDW and Rabble Red actually cost more on MTGO than on paper right now.

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:14 pm

why is that?

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:28 pm

why is that?
Why do I find it funny? Because it seems to be the only deck where this has occurred. Every other deck (MBD, MUD, Burn, etc.) costs less on MTGO than on paper.

Or did you mean why is it more expensive on MTGO? There are probably several contributing factors. My best guess would be that a lot of people on MTGO are playing red right now after the M15 release. This increase in demand should drive up card prices.

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:37 pm

I should have been more specific, sorry :)

I figured red would skyrocket in popularity after the pro tour tho
Last edited by Tyrael on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Archives”