Open Site Blathering (formerly Advice from iridium ITT)

*memories*

Moderators: Col. Khaddafi, ( G_R )

Blackhound
prinny dood!
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Blackhound » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:11 pm

Blackhound
prinny dood!

Postby Blackhound » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:09 pm

88 posts per day ?

wtf.

Blackhound
prinny dood!

Postby Blackhound » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:47 pm

A school's decision to ban triangular flapjacks after a pupil was hurt .

It follows an incident at Castle View School in Canvey Island, Essex, when a boy was hit in the face by a flapjack.

Catering staff at the school have been told only to serve square or rectangular flapjacks.

The school said the "isolated accident" had led to a review of "the texture and shape of the flapjacks" provided

"The real issue isn't what shape the flapjacks are, but the fact that pupils are throwing them at each other - and that's a matter of discipline, and has got nothing to do with health and safety as we know it.

"We're happy to make clear that flapjacks of all shapes and sizes continue to have our full backing."

Health and safety advisor Ray Hurst said he could not understand why triangular flapjacks had been banned, but not those cut into squares or rectangles.

"Anything that is
thrown is likely to cause injury if it hits somebody, especially in the face or the eye," said Mr Hurst, former president of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health.

Blackhound
prinny dood!

Postby Blackhound » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:03 pm

What is your opinion of the dangers of flapjacks, kinder eggs, big gulps, and plastic foam cups guys ?

Blackhound
prinny dood!

Postby Blackhound » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:13 pm

Hello guest.

Corruption Watch

Postby Corruption Watch » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:38 pm

What is your opinion of the dangers of flapjacks, kinder eggs, big gulps, and plastic foam cups guys ?
Could be worse:

SHUT UP IMBECILE

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:27 pm

I'd always try to get to school early enough to get the breakfast, but I almost never got the flapjacks because they took a few minutes to cook and that was about how much time I'd have to get to my first class, but they were popular enough that there were also days that I'd have to forgo the breakfast menu entirely because a line of flapjack-seekers had formed. I can't see any way that triangle shapes would have made the cook's job any easier or (more importantly) faster, and therefore wonder why this became an issue in the first place.

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:45 am

I'd always try to get to school early enough to get the breakfast, but I almost never got the flapjacks because they took a few minutes to cook and that was about how much time I'd have to get to my first class, but they were popular enough that there were also days that I'd have to forgo the breakfast menu entirely because a line of flapjack-seekers had formed. I can't see any way that triangle shapes would have made the cook's job any easier or (more importantly) faster, and therefore wonder why this became an issue in the first place.

welcome to 'MERIKA

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:53 am

Essex = in America.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:54 am

As opposed to pretty much every other type of sex.

Corruption Watch

Postby Corruption Watch » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:54 am

Haha, Nai pulls out the big guns, squashing a helpdesk argument by signing off with a thinly-veiled threat:
Originally posted by Nai on MTGS
The staff reserves the right to issue a penalty different from what is suggested in the rules, should the situation call for it.
The staff of MTGSalvation holds the right to suspend or ban any member for a reasonable purpose at any time, regardless of infractions accumulated.
Interpretation of the Forum Rules is always at the discretion of the MTGSalvation staff.
Finally, remember that MTG Salvation membership is a privilege, not a right.
:ugh:
SHUT UP IMBECILE

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:04 am

I'll admit, I found the "issue a penalty different from what is suggested in the rules" bit more than a little disturbing (for reasons other than the admission that "rules" = "suggestions" now). Does that mean if you do something outlandish they can, like, send you a dead chipmunk in the mail with the note "Unlike this chipmunk, your infraction will never expire"?

Corruption Watch

Postby Corruption Watch » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:11 am

It's funny how that little disclaimer paragraph takes the entire 10,000 page rules (sorry - "suggestions") document and turns it into

SHUT UP IMBECILE

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:15 am

Too bad that being on staff is a right, not a privilege, I guess.

Blackhound
prinny dood!

Postby Blackhound » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:25 am

Well he is right it is a privilege, but Nai (if you still lurk here) please read the followings posts.

One of the mod lounge leaks that I always found the funnier was that thread where you guys complain about being abused by the userbase.

May there be one day where you will realize that if if you stop acting antagonistically against the userbase, they will stop being so overtly harsh against the staff.
Untill then, roll out he infractions and suspensions I guess :shrug:

Why is it that there was just one single problem in WCT during my tenure with Brandon and 0 problems during the remainder of Brandon's tenure?
Why is it that this single problem was
simply discussed level headedly leading to a simple update of the RLA rules? (well except the dramabomb that Rianalnn fueled by taking the opportunity to lynch the RLA drama bystander -Kijin- from staff).
Why is it that there have been like almost 10 dramabombs in WCT since Brandon got replaced by the trio of mods Teia, Frox and Senori? You can't even blame the gutter for that one since you have nuked it a long time ago...

Blackhound
prinny dood!

Postby Blackhound » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:27 am

I'll try to quickly explain what's up, mmkay.

The reason why the thread was closed (I talked with Galspanic) was because it was a question that was answered. Had it not been full of vitriol and passive aggressiveness, having it as a thread discussing that rule might have been useful, but it was drowned under trolling and spamming. Borderline stuff that was previously deemed okay in CI isn't necessarily considered okay anymore. We're doing stuff differently in that regard. Heck, in August the site felt so much in the hands of the users that I somehow felt compelled to plea
to the users to stop being mean. So yeah, when CI threads are a mess of spamming/trolling/bullshit, then they are much more quickly closed now than in the past.

As for the RLA rules thing in particular, I expect we'll be talking about that... but in the Mod Lounge, sheltered from users who feel like making a drama storm over it. Had it been a reasonable discussion, CI would have been fine. But the policies we used to have in CI - they didn't work. We'd give up to people who yelling, and as expected, that meant they were yelling even louder next time. The users were too entitled. Now we're trying to make up for it by changing stuff for the better (in the making), make better & fairer rules, but also make it clear in CI that staff's in charge and won't be browbeaten into submission. That's going to be better for everyone, I think.
Everyone knows you're in charge. Your authority isn't at issue. The wisdom of some of your decisions are at issue.

When that's the case, you
don't get anywhere by standing on your authority and position. If you do that, a la Extremeicon, you build up an increasing reservoir of discontent which will eventually bubble over.

Constructive advice is often being taken by the staff - that's good - but if something said is negative (or said in an angry tone) it's often discounted.The users aren't "entitled" - the staff has ignored userbase criticisms more often that not! They're starved for attention, for people who will listen to them, and hear them out when they have an issue. That's hardly unreasonable, and so long as the group-think in the ML is that people criticizing the staff is the problem, instead of a symptom of the occasional bad decision, you're going to be slip back into the perpetual drama cycle that haunted the iridium since its inception.

Older staff tried the approach you're implementing now, and it back-fired on them, hard-core, year after year after year. It. Does. Not. Work.

If you have a topic
brimming with vitriol and passion, and you just close the thread - the negative feelings don't disappear. They fester, and become grudges, until you're dealing with a fresh crop of angry people lurking in CI, waiting for an opportunity to give you a piece of their minds.

You want to disarm the negativity? Listen to them, calm them, take action.

Blackhound
prinny dood!

Postby Blackhound » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:33 am

All Nai has done there is piss of the people that are arguing even more,but if thats how they want to run it.........

Second Harkius
Spam Yrself Clean

Postby Second Harkius » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:34 am

Someone needs to tell them that there are steps beyond "Square 1"

Second Harkius
Spam Yrself Clean

Postby Second Harkius » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:34 am

Also someone needs to keep count of how many times Pendy changes his sig / avvy per week

Blackhound
prinny dood!

Postby Blackhound » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:35 am

Greetings carl miller.

Blackhound
prinny dood!

Postby Blackhound » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:36 am

Dear visitor,

Because your IP address has recently been abused by spammers, access to our forums from this address has been restricted.

You are not allowed to register, sign in or post messages. You can, however, read the forums (except for the Trading Post).

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience.

If you would like to contact the technical support click here. But please note that usually there is nothing we can do.

Blackhound
prinny dood!

Postby Blackhound » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:36 am

Again, guess it will be back up in 2 days like last time, not that I can post there anyway.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:37 am

Also someone needs to keep count of how many times Pendy changes his sig / avvy per week
I try to make sure I'm on par with your name changes. Xp

Blackhound
prinny dood!

Postby Blackhound » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:44 am

Maybe they are still under the impression that people were going over the top with complaining last year when in fact the level of complaint was at the same level as their fuckups.

Blackhound
prinny dood!

Postby Blackhound » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:46 am

I would also like to apologize to Thrillio as we are still on Namek again

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:02 am

Namek = Bitch about MTGS, I assume? Never got into DBZ.

Blackhound
prinny dood!

Postby Blackhound » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:09 am

Along those lines yes.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:10 am

Then most MTG sites, including the mothership, are still on Namek.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:26 am

Actually, Nai, if you are still reading this, and God knows why you would be, I have a question for you that isn't just tamping down old grounds.

Every time the admins do something questionable, there is a ripple, if you will. This ripple doesn't stop at the walls of MTGS, and of course you know this. There are mumblings throughout the 'verse, there are internalized reactions, and there are private conversations. Like real ripples, much as you've pictured on your deviantart profile, these don't necessarily follow the patterns you might expect; sometimes small actions make for big anger, or vice versa, but there is always that pendulum movement of equal and opposite. When I was a stronger man, I used to deal with these responses as best I could in my simple way, but now I have learned that I am too ineffective in my role to really do anything other than just turning off my AIM, not visiting any websites where I might
get caught off guard by a particularly vehement response, most especially not going on Twitter. I can deal with this; one nice thing about being a madman is you can accept your own faults pretty easily.
Nor, and I want to make sure you understand, do I want to make it seem like I blame you for this. I picked bad friends, that I can get behind as well. When I do feel the site is being poorly administrated, I can forgive that. Strange as it may seem, I still believe in you, despite the rough year you've had, despite the comparisons to your own past administrator troubles and other administrator's.... rather ragged hypocrisy. It was my fault for not giving into the way of the world, and I don't blame you, that I need to make crystal clear. I had to sacrifice good friendships to keep a system afloat, and while I may not get to live there (I'm a monster), I look forward to the places your site may go.

But the one question, single simple solitary question, I have for you, is
Do you realize how
much that sucks balls?

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:28 am

/srs post

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:42 am

I'm pretty sure the Zodiac Killer is at the same busstop as me every morning
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:42 am

There's no way this guy isn't killing people

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:55 am

Baguy are you the member who posted post #88?

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:23 pm

wat

Manders
Oozes fabulousness!!!

Postby Manders » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:28 pm

I'll try to quickly explain what's up, mmkay.

The reason why the thread was closed (I talked with Galspanic) was because it was a question that was answered. Had it not been full of vitriol and passive aggressiveness, having it as a thread discussing that rule might have been useful, but it was drowned under trolling and spamming. Borderline stuff that was previously deemed okay in CI isn't necessarily considered okay anymore. Were doing stuff differently in that regard. Heck, in August the site felt so much in the hands of the users that I somehow felt compelled to plea to the users to stop being mean. So yeah, when CI threads are a mess of spamming/trolling/bullshit, then they are much more quickly closed now than in the past.

As for the RLA rules thing in particular, I expect we'll be talking about that... but in the Mod Lounge, sheltered from users who feel like making a drama storm over it. Had it been a reasonable discussion, CI would have been fine. But the policies we used to have in CI - they didn't work. We'd give up to people who yelling, and as expected, that meant they were yelling even louder next time. The users were too entitled. Now we're trying to make up for it by changing stuff for the better (in the making), make better & fairer rules, but also make it clear in CI that staff's in charge and won't be browbeaten into submission. That's going to be better for everyone, I
think.
Everyone knows you're in charge. Your authority isn't at issue. The wisdom of some of your decisions are at issue.

When that's the case, you don't get anywhere by standing on your authority and position. If you do that, a la Extremeicon, you build up an increasing reservoir of discontent which will eventually bubble over.

Constructive advice is often being taken by the staff - that's good - but if something said is negative (or said in an angry tone) it's often discounted.The users aren't "entitled" - the staff has ignored userbase criticisms more often that not! They're starved for attention, for people who will listen to them, and hear them out when they have an issue. That's hardly unreasonable, and so long as the group-think in the ML is that people criticizing the staff is the problem, instead of a symptom of the occasional bad decision, you're going to be slip back into the perpetual drama cycle that haunted the iridium since its inception.

nOlder staff tried the approach you're implementing now, and it back-fired on them, hard-core, year after year after year. It. Does. Not. Work.

If you have a topic brimming with vitriol and passion, and you just close the thread - the negative feelings don't disappear. They fester, and become grudges, until you're dealing with a fresh crop of angry people lurking in CI, waiting for an opportunity to give you a piece of their minds.

You want to disarm the negativity? Listen to them, calm them, take action.
Azrael making us all look like uncouth animals again.

:D
Don't hate me 'cause I'm cuter than you are! - :mh:

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:47 pm

wat
Wrong thread

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:48 pm

Fuck

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:48 pm

Post 88 of the Somalia rage quit

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:10 pm

Post 88 of the Somalia rage quit

nah, i never registered on smogon

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:17 pm

Return to “Blathering Archives”