[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

MattT
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby MattT » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:01 pm

@Izzet Burn: Electromancer + Firedancer + Essence Backlash is hilarious, but xmas land. Better card economy and sweepers could be a good thing. Shock has the advantage of creeping through the odd turns alongside a rebated Strike or Bolt. but still, only 2 damage.

Why am I not as sold on Juzam Junior (Herald of Torment) like everyone else? It´s something about his slow impact and high cost vs Phoenix or Reckoner. The Bestowing Pain Seer plan looks cute, but believing that it´ll happen at 5 mana without presenting any juicier targets than Pack Rats (who really should scurry away ill fast) seems like wish thinking. I get that it's evasive and the flying ranks are thin atm, but both of blacks new removals hits it. Red may be waning due to the same thus lowering the number of Lightning Strikes. Yet, still...

My favourite is Spiteful Returned. You pay 2 and will cause at least 2 damage unless they spend a resource on it.
What´s not to like by an aggro player?

Yarpus, both YP$ and Firedancer md seems overkill. Pyromancer in side for control and Firedancer main mehaps. Then you´d fit some ca.

Yarpus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yarpus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:09 pm

I'd rather play Pyromancer and Pain Seer main, Firedancer SB.
Pyromancer is both good against Aggro and Control. Hell, he even generates chumps against midrange!
Firedancer is value against creature-decks, but he's completely and I mean COMPETELY useless against Control.
I mean, it's cool to make T2 Firedancer T3 Searing Blood their Pack Rat/Rakdos Cackler while also dealing them 3 damage and killing their Nightveil Specter/Herald/Whatever. But it sucks to play 1/1 for 2 against UW Control.
Last edited by Yarpus on Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:11 pm

Steam Augury
More like Steam Ughery, am I rite?

The best Theros card that never was.
It needed to be in INN.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:24 pm

Trying to figure out if this is a worse set than Dark Ascension, and James makes the point that DA had Hellrider.

...but it also had Lingering Souls. So yeah, by far the worst set in recent memory.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:29 pm

Yes, that includes Dragon's Maze.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:30 pm

I don't care that the set isn't powerful, just that it's like 9/10ths not powerful.

And the other 1/10th is all in one color.

It's Torment 2.0
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

RaidaTheBlade
Tire Aficionado

Postby RaidaTheBlade » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:30 pm

I think this set has some interesting ideas, but most of the cards erred too heavily on the side of underpowered to be actually useful in constructed.

That said I think white weenie and commander players got a lot of nice toys here, but that's about it
I, for one, would like to welcome our new firebreathing narwhal overlords.

DocLawless
Tire Aficionado

Postby DocLawless » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:43 pm

At least it's pretty.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ohc26D2TOg

PTQ Theme Song Found

Artist: Halc
Name: Aggressive Blue Magic
Style: FF VI OC Remix
I've been listening to a bunch of related songs on this Balance & Ruin album. It's very good, thanks for the link :smileup:

I'm a fan of the FF series' music in general, I usually play the piano collections while streaming.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:53 pm

Speaking of streaming, I was thinking of setting up a small play area that I could stream feature matches in my shop once I open it. An SCG-like setup with an overhead camera and a spotter. Thoughts?

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:54 pm

I like the idea, Alex. Please set up a decent pair of uni-directional mics so we can hear the players instead of the whole shop and their scratchy neckbeards.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:55 pm

If they would just print something that cares about the GY like Spellheart Chimera it would be fun to play with. As it is I'd rather just play Thoughtflare for one mana more.

Also, Bolt of Keranos is crap. I'm assuming you were brewing with it when the spoiler was wrong. It was incorrectly spoiled as "3 to target creature and/or player" but was corrected to "target creature OR player." Scry one for R at sorcery speed is not worth it. Annihilating Fire is better and actually more relevant with Chandra's Phoenix, Xathrid Necromancer, and Voice of Resurgence seeing more play in the format.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:01 pm

I hope zem doesn't mind, but I'm copying this comment from him over from FB. In a single paragraph, he eloquently encapsulated the sum difference between casual and competitive Magic...it really speaks to me. Hell, I'd sig it if there was room.

"One thing I know for sure is that Magic is about making correct decisions, over and over again...Sifting through the vast unknowable and finding correct conclusions. When you play the same kind of deck season after season, you recognize all the patterns, know all the issues and tricks and understand what the real themes of your matchups are. Experience and insight--coupled with tight play that can only come from achieving those two attributes--are worth substantially more than the latest tech."
-zemanjaski
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:03 pm

Initial impressions of Born of the Gods

Good: Heavily-flavored spells and creatures; amazingly good artwork; mechanics like Inspired and Tribute continue to push design space into new and interesting territory; Black gets a lot of new toys, which makes quite a few people happy, so good for them.

Bad: Better get used to playing against Black a lot; seriously, did you see some of the toys they gave to Black?; mechanics like Heroic still require a heavy investment into creature buffs, which mean jack all when the creature gets blowed up; Red looks very underpowered in this set (did they somehow think that we had it too good lately?); Minotaur tribal, which started out promising, hasn't really gone anywhere; and where the hell are the awesome artifacts like swords and shit?

Overall, I'm not quite sure to make of this set. Satyr Firedancer looks pretty cool, but it severely lacks good burn spells to make it exceptional.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:11 pm

The regrettable problem with sets like this is that if any of the cards turn out to be playable, they're going to skyrocket because no one wants to open packs. DKA was like that (mainly in black and red), and Voice of Resurgence (DGM) is still over $30 even though GW has been crap throughout Theros (mostly because of Modern pod decks, but still)...if Naya or Junk do turn out to be viable, Voice is going to be worse than Thundermaw and Bonfire at their peaks.
Righteous sig by NBW

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:24 pm

Initial impressions of Born of the Gods

Good: Heavily-flavored spells and creatures; amazingly good artwork; mechanics like Inspired and Tribute continue to push design space into new and interesting territory; Black gets a lot of new toys, which makes quite a few people happy, so good for them.

Bad: Better get used to playing against Black a lot; seriously, did you see some of the toys they gave to Black?; mechanics like Heroic still require a heavy investment into creature buffs, which mean jack all when the creature gets blowed up; Red looks very underpowered in this set (did they somehow think that we had it too good lately?); Minotaur tribal, which started out promising, hasn't really gone anywhere; and where the hell are the awesome artifacts like swords
and shit?

Overall, I'm not quite sure to make of this set. Satyr Firedancer looks pretty cool, but it severely lacks good burn spells to make it exceptional.
I can mostly agree with this. I'm not as thrilled with inspired or tribute but they might play better than I'm giving them credit for. I'd also like to add that white got some nice toys too. The big ones are the Kitty King and 3/1 hate bear. Hero of Iroas looks like he could be fun to brew around, not sure how viable he'll be. The one thing they did with this set that I did like was that they pushed betsow a bit more. I think the mechanic has potential.

Spot on the art work. I like how the human hero cards are depicted in battle and the Eidolons' strong use of black bring out the brighter colors in their figures. Flavor text wise, I really like Whelming Wave's, "I can see why this appeals to Thassa - Kiora".

Overall, I'm more excited for this set than Dragon's Maze. I haven't been playing long enough to
really compare them to anything else, but Dragon's Maze was... yuck. Even when I draft RtR block I open the Dragon's Maze pack and think, "What the fuck is this?" If/when I win some tournaments around here I plan opening a few Born of the Gods packs. I think there's enough playables to be worth while.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:38 pm

hot damn Windstrider ... dat sig!!
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:40 pm

I happen to think the only playable red card in the entire set is the Satyr with haste and Inspired. He's going to be pretty good against control and mono black and he's splashable.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:50 pm

Why are people comparing this set to DKA? That set was awesome. It had Pyreheart Wolf, Hellrider, Vampire Aristocrat, Huntmaster of the Fells, Strangleroot Geist, Geralf 's Messenger, and Lingering Souls. Plus I'm sure I forgot a few things.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:52 pm

At least with this set, I anticipate somebody will try to get cute and craft a "Goldmember" theme deck with Gild....
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:54 pm

I have to admit, this set is terrible.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:58 pm

I love this set.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:58 pm

Helios, get out. You must conform.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:58 pm

Every set is terrible.

I can't think of a time where everyone saw a set and said "wow, this looks overall good!"

People like to complain. Then they actually play with it, realize it's manageable, and move on.

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:01 pm

Well since I've been playing Magic, I haven't been disappointed after seeing a set spoiled. I have now been disappointed.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:05 pm

hot damn Windstrider ... dat sig!!
NBW made me very happy with that sig. :D

I ... I think I'm in love with it.

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:06 pm

Every set is terrible.

I can't think of a time where everyone saw a set and said "wow, this looks overall good!"

People like to complain. Then they actually play with it, realize it's manageable, and move on.
You're terrible.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:08 pm

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k53NGe64RBU

How accurate, even if it is pop-schlocky in a lot of ways. She's cute, though.

Slightly NSFW-ish towards the end as she gets naked but covered by swirling lights.
Last edited by windstrider on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:08 pm

Why are people comparing this set to DKA? That set was awesome. It had Pyreheart Wolf, Hellrider, Falkenrath Aristocrat, Huntmaster of the Fells, Strangleroot Geist, Geralf 's Messenger, and Lingering Souls. Plus I'm sure I forgot a few things.
:fixed:

Yes--awesome rares, but the set was crap to play in Limited, which meant that little product got opened, which meant low numbers of Mythics and high costs. Also, look at the cards you just named and think about when the actually started seeing play...most of them didn't see big play until RTR block/SOM rotation, well after drafting of the set was effectively
finished.
Righteous sig by NBW

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:12 pm

I'm building a tribal EDH deck. Get at me budget cajs!

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:14 pm

Both Hellrider and Aristocrat were considered kinda trashy when the set first came out.

I personally loved the Innistrad set when it was first released. It got me back into Magic after a years-long hiatus.

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:16 pm

Innistrad is my favorite set.

Teh flavorz.

F.I.A

Postby F.I.A » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:23 pm

It never occurred to me that Hellrider is a trash card when it's first spoiled, though. Of course, I'm one guy who won't be bothered to get himself Hero of Oxid Ridge.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:28 pm

I heard a rumor that Hellrider was never spoiled. It was left off of the list or something.

Shit, I was rocking 4 in a deck the moment DKA dropped. I pulled 2 in the prerelease and never looked back. And as far as limited goes, it was the ONLY time I ever enjoyed Limited. And that means it must've been good. Lol

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:33 pm

Actually, DKA was what brought me back from my hiatus after Mirrodin Besieged. Well, I did show up to an FNM for one last hurrah with Goblin Guide right before rotation .... But it was at the request of a friend of mine that I actually showed up for the DKA prerelease when I rejoined the game. I picked up some Nobles after that and laid the smackdown with Hellrider for as long as he was legal. And you guys know the rest.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:36 pm

the set sucks

long live the set
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:37 pm

I didn't know when I pre-ordered a set of Hellrider that he was going to be so awesome. I got him for cheap. Fast forward to today, I haven't pre-ordered any rares/mythics from BNG. Only thing I got was a set of 4x C/UC. Considering I'm going to be playing MBD, I think that's where most of the value lies for me.
SM, you complete me. :love:

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:40 pm

I gonna do what I always do : play Red cards, tap Mountain, and win with my superior skill and extremely good looks. It's worked pretty good so far.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:41 pm

Why are people comparing this set to DKA? That set was awesome. It had Pyreheart Wolf, Hellrider, Vampire Aristocrat, Huntmaster of the Fells, Strangleroot Geist, Geralf 's Messenger, and Lingering Souls. Plus I'm sure I forgot a few things.
Because the set overall was fucking awful. It had some okay cards in it drafted like absolute shit. This set is going to be the same.

You could at least draft cool stuff in Dragon's Maze.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:44 pm

Because the set overall was fucking awful. It had some okay cards in it drafted like absolute shit. This set is going to be the same.

You could at least draft cool stuff in Dragon's Maze.
It's good cuz I say it it's good. :cool:

Return to “Fires of Salvation”