R/b Burn

Moderator: LP, of the Fires

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:59 am

Thanks for the responses guys :tears: finally feel like I'm not just talking to a brick wall.

I'm glad we agree that in the more eternal formats Bottle-necking is not the ideal plan.

Ok here is where I'm at:

(Note: I'll make this post detailed - I do still however need you just to click on the videos though it gives me extra money and feed my ego)

Here is my current 75 (The SB is still pending about 4 spells):

[deck=MDU's Rx Burn]LANDS 19
4 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Arid Mesa
1 Stomping Ground
2 Blood Crypt

CREATURES 14
4 Vexing Devil
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer
3 Keldon Marauders

INSTANTS and SORCERIES 27
4 Lava Spike
4 Bump in the Night
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
3 Searing Blaze
4 Shard Volley
4 Skullcrack

SIDEBOARD 15
1 Searing Blaze
1 Relic of Progenitus
n2 Anger of the Gods
3 Flames of the Blood Hand
4 Destructive Revelry
4 Rakdos Charm[/deck]

Which I 3-0'ed with right away, here are some note:

1) Nothing is wrong with Blaklanner or Khaospawnspawn reverie of anti-Pod and Robot cards (disregarding the fringe decks) heck going into MOCS I'll most likely do the same.
2) Why only 3x Grim Lavamancer? its because unless the first one dies I can also never keep them both active.
3) Why only 3x Searing Blaze? because I hate Combo and Control... BECAUSE I HATE COMBO AND CONTROL and BECAUSE I HATE COMBO AND CONTROL :flame: !!!
4) Why Keldon Marauders? I didn't want to run 4th Searing Blaze and 4th Grim Lavamancer MU I needed something which helps the
creature MU without being dead against control - Keldon just happen too fits that role perfectly.
5) How do I feel about 19 lands, it almost got me killed one game.... but I've been playing with 19 lands for the longest time pre-DtR days so I'm not overly concerned.

Sb Choices:
I splashed Green solely for Destructive Revelry it good because it also hit Twins and Robots and all the fringe builds at the same time
The Relic of Progenitus is for graveyard decks and Jund (primarily)
The Rakdos Charm is just great I don't need to explain it
The Anger of the Gods is for Pod and Zoo
The Flames of the Blood Hand is for control
The 4th Searing Blaze is in the SB because its the forth Searing Blaze

(Now please note I didn't plan or prepared anything before my event started so I didn't really notice that the SB don't fit smoothly into the deck, thus I'm still in the tweaking process)

Cards I'm not 100% happy with:
1 Relic of Progenitus
The 3rd Flames of the Blood Hand
The 4th Destructive Revelry
The 4th Searing Blaze

While I don't mind my 19 land base it wouldn't be above me to cut 1x Shard Volley or 1x Keldon Marauders for the 20th land.

Cards I'm interested in testing:
Shattering Spree like Blak said its crushed Robots, but with 7 hate cards is it really needed?
Searing Blood I saw it in
Khaospawn list and almost feel in love (I wish it could hit Zoo), DIE Pod and Bots DIE!!!
Satyr Firedancer like Blak said its solid vs removal lite decks (my only issue is that running Dancer with grim is just begging for a Orzhov Pontiff blowout...)
Ensnaring Bridge good against creatures... lazer vouches for it, ham does as well (dies too decay and doesn't stop robots....)
Abrupt Decay can't be countered - hits everything in RUG Twins and is decent vs other MUs
Back to Nature pure Enchantment Hate...

If you were to use my build as a base what would you cut and what would you change? (once we can get a happy 75 together I'll write up a SB guide with explanations).

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:07 am

Playing in DE (made 0 changes in the list):

G1 vs UWr (0-2) G1 he had 3x Lighting Helix, 2x Manaleaks and snapercaster mage plus resto angel.... G2 I hit 15 lands (you know something is wrong when you have more lands then the control player...).
G2 vs Pod (2-0) - It was played by G0d_LiK3 (no.4), I had a hot hand G1 and G2, he had a decent hand G1 and a horrible one G2.

EDIT:

G3 vs Tribal Zoo (2-0) - Anger is sooo good here....

Just need one more win then I'm in the money :)

I decided I want one more hate card for UWr, havn't decided that it is yet... BlakLanner suggested Combust here but I don't want to control the control deck :/
Last edited by magicdownunder on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:12 am

Excellent post MDU :) I'll be playing more myself again in a week or so and I'm 100% behind getting an in depth match up and SB guide in place. I play exclusively on MTGO so my focus is on building a solid 75 that doesn't fold to the random decks out that you run into. Regardless of our individual meta choices it'll be great if we all work together on this as Zem's Standard Burn list has really benefitted from testing and refinement and I'd :love: to get this list tweaked to a similar level :)
I do
still however need you just to click on the videos though it gives me extra money and feed my ego

I've put the playlists on a loop for you, if you listen carefully you'll hear the steady chink of coins dropping into your YouTube money box :)
MDU's Rx Burn 22/03/14
deck=MDU's Rx Burn]LANDS 19
4 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Arid Mesa
1 Stomping Ground
2 Blood Crypt

CREATURES 14
4 Vexing Devil
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer
3 Keldon Marauders

4 Lava Spike
4 Bump in the Night
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
3 Searing Blaze
4 Shard Volley
4 Skullcrack

SIDEBOARD 15
1 Searing Blaze
1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Anger of the Gods
4 Destructive Revelry
4 Rakdos Charm[/deck]
1) Nothing is wrong with Blaklanner or
Khaospawnspawn reverie of anti-Pod and Robot cards (disregarding the fringe decks) heck going into MOCS I'll most likely do the same.
Agree :)
2) Why only 3x Grim Lavamancer? its because unless the first one dies I can also never keep them both active.
This makes sense though I'm still open to running 4
3) Why only 3x Searing Blaze? because I hate Combo and Control... BECAUSE I HATE COMBO AND CONTROL and BECAUSE I HATE COMBO AND CONTROL :flame: !!!
Again makes sense
4) Why Keldon Marauders? I didn't want to run 4th [card]Searing
Blaze[/card] and 4th Grim Lavamancer MU I needed something which helps the creature MU without being dead against control - Keldon just happen too fits that role perfectly.
I really like the flexibility Marauders offers against both creatures and control. This kind of flexibility is what I'm looking for throughout the 75.
5) How do I feel about 19 lands, it almost got me killed one game.... but I've been playing with 19 lands for the longest time pre-DtR days so I'm not overly concerned.

Sb Choices:
I splashed Green solely for Destructive Revelry it good because it also hit Twins and Robots and all the fringe builds at the same time
I'm liking the G splash a lot for exactly the same reason. We lose Boros Charm by not running W but with some work on the manabase - [card]
Sacred Foundry[/card], Clifftop Retreat, Dragonskull Summit we might still be able to squeeze it in :)

The Relic of Progenitus is for graveyard decks and Jund (primarily)
Not convinced this is needed with Charms available.
The Rakdos Charm is just great I don't need to explain it
The Anger of the Gods is for Pod and Zoo
I think Ensnaring Bridge offers more flexibility though Anger is undoubtedly better in some scenarios.
The Flames of the Blood Hand is for control
The 4th Searing Blaze is in the SB because
its the forth Searing Blaze ;-)

Cards I'm not 100% happy with:
1 Relic of Progenitus
The 3rd Flames of the Blood Hand
The 4th Destructive Revelry
The 4th Searing Blaze
Makes sense to me

While I don't mind my 19 land base it wouldn't be above me to cut 1x Shard Volley or 1x Keldon Marauders for the 20th land.
Also makes sense but I've never had any problems with 19 land and I've died to flood far more than to screw.

Cards I'm interested in testing:
[card]
Shattering Spree[/card] like Blak said its crushed Robots, but with 7 hate cards is it really needed?
I think it's too narrow especially with Charm and Revelry (or Smash To Smithereens available
Searing Blood I saw it in Khaospawn list and almost feel in love (I wish it could hit Zoo), DIE Pod and Bots DIE!!!
Satyr Firedancer like Blak said its solid vs removal lite decks (my only issue is that running Dancer with grim is just begging for a Orzhov Pontiff blowout...)
I think both are great cards but are too narrow given our aim with the deck
Ensnaring Bridge good against creatures... lazer vouches for it, ham does as well (dies too decay and doesn't stop robots....)
It's
not perfect but it is better across the board than Anger

Abrupt Decay can't be countered - hits everything in RUG Twins and is decent vs other MUs
I'm very keen to try this, I :love: the versatility and the surprise factor too
Back to Nature pure Enchantment Hate...
Overkill if we have Revelry and possibly Decay

If you were to use my build as a base what would you cut and what would you change? (once we can get a happy 75 together I'll write up a SB guide with explanations).
I'd run this SB -
[deck]Sideboard[/deck]
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:22 am

I'd run this SB -
[deck]Sideboard[/deck]
That actually look really good... I don't hate Bridge but I prefer Anger because its better against Pod and Bots - but Bridge is def. better in more MU which is important for this meta game.

Also we forgot one card which make the Green Splash awesome, FEAST YOUR EYES ON THIS CARD: Choke!!!! like WOW, I can't believe I never noticed it before.

This maybe getting alittle insane now about Dark Tutelage in the SB vs Control doesn't seem horrible.

Eyes of the Wisent seems cute...

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:32 am

I was just looking over the meta on MTGO Goldfish when something really important occured to me that I've always overlooked - the lists on here don't actually give any information on how popular a deck is, only how many finishes it has made. I doubt anyone else will have overlooked this but I thought I'd share just in case :)

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:04 pm

I was just looking over the meta on MTGO Goldfish when something really important occured to me that I've always overlooked - the lists on here don't actually give any information on how popular a deck is, only how many finishes it has made. I doubt anyone else will have overlooked this but I thought I'd share just in case :)
Its quite an important fact as well :smileup:

Ok I scored 3-1 in that DE so I'm in the money (thank goodness).

I ran the same list above, playing against:

G1: UWr Control (0-2)
SB + Explanation
Out: 3 Searing Blaze,
1 Grim Lavamancer
In: 3 Flames of the Blood Hand, 1 Relic of Progenitus

Searing Blaze makes the cut because UWr doesn't provide enough targets (only SnapCaster, everything else can just shake the damage), Lavamancer gets the cut because he dies too removal (its a valid argument against UWr) - personally I would cut all my Devils and Lavamancers if i could but I don't have enough space the in the SB to dedicate such hate for such a close MU.

Thus I'm thinking about running two extra hate cards being either Blood Moon/Choke or Dark Tutelage.... I've been meaning to buy those Blood Moons for awhile really, but Moon does kill Bump with I won't boardout so IDK.
G2: Pod [played by No.4] (2-0)
SB + Explanation
Out: 4 Vexing Devil, 4 Goblin Guide
In: 3 Flames of the Blood Hand, 2 Rakdos Charm, 1 Searing Blaze, 2 Anger of the Gods

My
actually SB was different when I played but this is how I should have done it (I didn't actually know he was pod R2 (which sad because it was Obv.)
Anyhow VD and GG get the cut because Pod is very effective at creating a stone wall so they'll almost never get in for damage, thus the goal is to stay alive and burn over the top (notice how I only have 2x Rakdos Charm in this MU? I don't like running many cards with "ifs" and "maybe" effects in a MU like Pod because surprisingly they can put you on a clock rather fast even without combo'ing out).
G3: Tribal Zoo (2-0)
SB + Explanation
Out: 4 Goblin Guide, 3 Grim Lavamancer
In: 3 Flames of the Blood Hand, 1 Searing Blaze, 2 Anger of the Gods, 1 Relic of Progenitus

This is the SB plan I should have taken in this MU since Bolt, Tribal Flames, Helix and PtE makes Lavamancer quite bad... beside that all any midrange/aggro deck packing lifegain cards the goal is just
to survive and burn over top.
G4: Jund (2-0)
SB + Explanation
Out: 4 Goblin Guide, 3 Grim Lavamancer
In: 3 Flames of the Blood Hand, 1 Searing Blaze, 2 Rakdos Charm, 1 Relic of Progenitus

This was the plan I used, I don't actually like Vexing Devil much either but I didn't have enough hate cards :shrug: the 2 Rakdos Charm, 1 Relic of Progenitus are for Mr Goyf.
I decided I really like 19 lands because I HATE being flooded (I actually won against Jund G1 with only 1 land :p), I also really like the 3x Flames of the Blood Hand so they won't go.

I do need something to replace 1 Relic of Progenitus and maybe the 4th Destructive Revelry, I'm leaning towards [card]
Choke[/card] and Dark Tutelage as it stands.

P.S. Do these long post with explanation help? Or should I save everyone time and just stop?

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:56 pm

P.S. Do these long post with explanation help? Or should I save everyone time and just stop?
YES! They are incredibly helpful and informative, please continue posting like this! I can then provide feedback on the plans (when I get my deck back next weekend) and this will allow us to refine and tweak to prefection! :)

MisterMet
Newcomer

Postby MisterMet » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:57 pm

Please continue!I've been finding them very useful!:)

Also, I've found ensnaring bridge to be great against decks like Zoo, Soul Sisters and Merfolk (especially here since they don't have any anti artifact cards).

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:08 pm

While I remember - Aura Barbs is good value against Bogles :)

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:05 pm

Omg this card is awsome ... How do you find that kind of cards.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:10 am

It comes from a deep inner desire to burn down the whole world Pedros :)

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:26 am

:rofl:

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:27 am

Remember, if any of the auras have totem armor (the umbras), Aura Barbs won't kill the creature and they'll still have it ready to attack next turn. Back to Nature is much better for the purpose of bogle battles.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:35 am

Remember, if any of the auras have totem armor (the umbras), Aura Barbs won't kill the creature and they'll still have it ready to attack next turn. Back to Nature is much better for the purpose of bogle battles.
Yep, if your going to run Aura hate and your running green or white you might as well run a Enchantment sweeper.

- - - - - - - - - - -

I'm rethinking my position for the Robot MU (8x Hate cards isn't enough if they drop Rav + 2-3 Artifacts on T2) - I may go with 2x Artifact sweepers (while cutting down some hate cards), the prime issue is my need for some extra UWr hate as well.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:10 am

Yeah I've got a serious brew coming.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:30 am

I'm going to test RWb Burn for tonight's DE (since Zoo is seeing lesser play) - please convinced me otherwise (you have 4H and 30M from when I made this post).
Last edited by magicdownunder on Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:41 am

It is my preferred variant, so no.
DCI Rules Advisor
MTGO/Cockatrice: BlakLanner
My YouTube Channel
BlakLanner is the boogeyman created to scare the little Standard players.
Currently Playing
Standard: [mana]RWU[/mana]Jeskai
Modern: [mana]RWG[/mana]Burn, [mana]GRWUR[/mana]Slivers
Legacy: [mana]R[/mana]Burn
EDH: [mana]RWGUB[/mana]Sliver Overlord, [mana]UW[/mana]Geist of Saint Traft (Tiny Leaders)
Current decklists are posted here

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:06 am

The mana is iffy and men play Boros.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:14 am

I'm gonna have to go with BlakLanner advice here, mainly because I think Rw Burn in modern is horrible (where are the Rakdos Charm!!!)

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:17 am

I'm working on a list, just wait.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:10 am

Last Time
Modern Elimination Report (Event 6743658)
Modern Elimination R1 Rx Burn vs Gr Tron Event 6743658
Modern Elimination R2 Rx Burn vs GW Hate Bears Event 6743658
Modern Elimination R3 Split

Modern Elimination Report (Event 6739738)
Modern Elimination R1 Rx Burn vs Pod Event 6739738
Modern Elimination R2 Rx Burn vs Rw Burn Event 6739738
Modern Elimination R3 Rx Burn vs Rwb Burn Event 6739738

Modern Elimination Report (Event 6747202)
Modern Elimination R1 Rx Burn vs Naya Zoo Event 6747202
Modern Elimination R2 Rx Burn vs BW Token Event 6747202

Modern Elimination Report Event (6750356)
[url=http://www.
youtube.com/watch?v=OWVyW0LeUYU&list=PLBO2Co_8Gb6xiIo2QoU5PPWlObh1904N0&feature=c4-overview-vl]Modern Elimination R1 Rx Burn vs Casual Brew Event 6750356[/url]
Modern Elimination R2 Rx Burn vs Rb Burn Event 6750356
Modern Elimination R3 Rx Burn vs BW Token Event 6750356

Modern Elimination Report Event (6755115)
Modern Elimination R1 Rx Burn vs UW Control Event 6755115
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbKNr5el ... lObh1904N0&
amp;index=2]Modern Elimination R2 Rx Burn vs UWr Twins Event 6755115[/url]
Modern Elimination R3 Rx Burn vs Naya Midrange Event 6755115

Modern Elimination Report (Event 6803399)
Modern Elimination R1 Rx Burn vs UB Fae Event 6803399
Modern Elimination R2 Rx Burn vs Amulet of Vigor Event 6803399

Modern Daily Report (Event 6894729)
Modern Daily Event R1 Rb Burn vs UWr Control Event 6894729[/url:
c5v9fwi5]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_LmLQEf6wA]Modern Daily Event R2 Rb Burn vs Ad Nauseam Event 6894729

Modern Daily Event R3 Rb Burn vs ScapeShift Event 6894729
Modern Daily Event R4 Rb Burn vs Pod Event 6894729
List which I lasted played (Unrefined List) with one ME and DE finish
4 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Arid Mesa
1 Stomping Ground
2 Blood Crypt

CREATURES 14
4 Vexing Devil
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer
3 Keldon Marauders

4 Lava Spike
4 Bump in the Night
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
3 Searing Blaze
4 Shard Volley
4 Skullcrack

SIDEBOARD 15
1 Searing Blaze
1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Anger of the Gods
Destructive Revelry
4 Rakdos Charm[/deck]
Tonight's experiment:

[deck=MDU's RWb Burn]Lands 21
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Arid Mesa
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
3 Mountain
1 Blood Crypt
1 Marsh Flats

Creatures 11
4 Vexing Devil
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer

Spells 28
4 Lava Spike
4 Bump in the Night
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Skullcrack
4 Boros Charm
2 Lightning Helix
2 Searing Blaze

Sideboard 15
2 Sudden Shock
1 Searing Blaze
1 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Hide // Seek
2 Flames of the Blood Hand
1 Stony Silence
2 Anger of the Gods
3 Rakdos Charm
1 Leave No Trace[/deck]

DE Updates:
G1: Soul Sister (0-2) was crushed in less then 5 minutes
G2: Red Burn (2-1) THE ONLY reason why I won was because his Goblin guide drew me 1-3 lands (I was flooded very badly).
G3: Pod (2-0) I still maintain my 100% win-rate vs Pod (had Double Boros Charm G1 it was fun.....)
G4: Ad Nauseam (
0-2) I felt like a had a chance (until I saw what he reviewed, he had 3x Counter Pacts in his hand)

I'm now in the red D:.

I'm trying to decided if its worth trying to win the Soul Sister, Ad Nauseam and Aura MU or not.

I've decided on running the 3rd [card]Hide // Seek[/card] because it just beats Ad Nauseam, Gifts and helps against Artifacts and Enchantments (I'll be cutting Stony Silence) I do want the 3rd Lightning Helix for the mirror but I'll stick with the current set-up for now.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:08 pm

Soul Sisters is a nearly impossible fight for us. Rain of Gore works very well but that is about the only deck I would bring it in against (maybe Pod) and that makes it not really worth the slots.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing
EDH: [mana]RWGUB[/mana]Sliver Overlord, [mana]UW[/mana]Geist of Saint Traft (Tiny Leaders)

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:42 pm

4 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Arid Mesa
1 Stomping Ground
2 Blood Crypt

CREATURES 14
4 Vexing Devil
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer
3 Keldon Marauders

4 Lava Spike
4 Bump in the Night
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
3 Searing Blaze
4 Shard Volley
4 Skullcrack

SIDEBOARD 15
1 Searing Blaze
1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Anger of the Gods
4 Destructive Revelry
4 Rakdos Charm[/deck]

Modern Elimination Report (Event 6905711)
Modern Elimination R1 Rx Burn vs Storm Event 6905711
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq4saOo ... zWSu-QWADg]Modern Elimination R2 Rx Burn vs Pod Event 6905711[/url:
12n5jaq8]

Really thinking about swapping the 4th Vexing Devil for the 3rd Lightning Helix in the RWb list - I know it will further hurt the curve but we're running 21 lands for that list so have extra mana isn't that uncommon.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:32 am

I'm want to try this, just need to see if I can get the SB plan to work first :)

[deck=LaZer's Burn]Lands 19
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Arid Mesa
3 Sacred Foundry
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
2 Mountain
1 Blood Crypt
1 Stomping Ground

Creatures 11
4 Vexing Devil
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer

Spells 30
4 Lava Spike
4 Bump in the Night
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Skullcrack
4 Boros Charm
3 Lightning Helix
3 Searing Blaze

Sideboard 15
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Searing Blaze
3 Destructive Revelry
3 Ensnaring Bridge
4 Rakdos Charm
[/deck]

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:33 am

Also please will someone tell me that Clifftop Retreat is bad so I can stop thinking about running it :)

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:15 am

I like to have 1-2 of the buddy lands so we don't have to pay life for each land we drop.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:48 am

Clifftop Retreat is horrible just play Copperline Gorge if you need extra R/G, I'll also recommend 20-21 lands with that build since your running so many 2-drops you'll need 4 lands to be able to cast 2-spells per turn.

I got the colors wrong, but I still think Clifftop is bad due to all the games where its your T1 land....

(that said: I really dislike the flooding I'm getting with my current 21 land list - I kind want to run 18 lands with pretty much all 1cc spells MD (except SC and SB).
Last edited by magicdownunder on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:51 am

Clifftop is R/W and probably need both colors. I have dropped down to 19 from 20 because of all the flooding I have had as of late.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:40 am

OK, so here is my first draft:

[deck=Zem's Modern Boros Burn]
Creatures
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer
4 Steppe Lynx

Spells
4 Boros Charm
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix
4 Rift Bolt
3 Searing Blaze
1 Shard Volley
4 Skullcrack

Lands
4 Arid Mesa
4 Marsh Flats
5 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Sacred Foundry

Sideboard
3 Anger of the Gods
4 Kor Firewalker
2 Rest in Peace
4 Smash to Smithereens
[/deck]

Kor Firewalker is my anti-Zoo/Storm/Mirror tech.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:13 am

I don't like Steppe Lynx.

I can't believe I just typed that.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:15 am

But, yeah, everything else looks really solid.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:27 pm

It's really good on turn 1 and the games don't go past turn 5.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:15 pm

:dance: :ape: :jam:

LaZer's Wallet :5rupee: :5rupee: :5rupee:

Beat BW 2-1 Jedi with RB 2-0 and MonoB 2-0 in the 8 man :)

EDIT - Sorry guys, in my excitement I put this in the wrong thread :)
Last edited by LaZerBurn on Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonnymagic

Postby Jonnymagic » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:23 pm

I go full retard in Legacy. Just give it all to them. If they die, they die.
You never go full retard.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:25 pm

I treat Legacy like sex. It's a race and I make sure I always finish first. It's all over in a matter of minutes and somebody is usually left crying.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:55 pm

I treat Legacy like sex. It's a race and I make sure I always finish first. It's all over in a matter of minutes and somebody is usually left crying.
I have no words for the :love: I feel for you right now Khaos :)

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:33 pm

I aim to please.....myself. XD

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:24 am

lessons learnt from my post-banning experience with modern burn:

1) DrS death is a huge deal, Jund and Pod are now many times easier to beat (I have names like G0D_L1k3, CrisaoSilva, Kjarl on my kill list) .

2) Cheating our mana is much harder now, I'm at a point where I can't fathom playing less then 20 lands if I run [mana]W[/mana] though this all means your chances of gassing out are now MUCH higher.

3) Playing less then 4x Grim Lavamancer 'feels' wrong, he is too critical in our key MUs.

4) The 'fuck it' approach is no longer viable, you'll need answers if you want to 4-0 or 9-0 events against the scornful enchantments and graveyards.

Where I'm at:

4 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Arid Mesa
1 Stomping Ground
2 Blood Crypt

CREATURES 14
4 Vexing
Devil
4 Goblin Guide
4 Grim Lavamancer
2 Keldon Marauders

4 Lava Spike
4 Bump in the Night
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
3 Searing Blaze
4 Shard Volley
4 Skullcrack

SIDEBOARD 15
2 Back to Nature
2 Sudden Shock
2 Anger of the Gods
3 Destructive Revelry
4 Rakdos Charm[/deck]

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:17 am

Decided that 19 lands is too greedy, we can justify the extra land with Grim, Searing Blaze, Bump, Flames of the Blood Hand and Shard Volley.

Fixed the manabase which drastically improved the aggro MUs:

[deck=MDU's Rx Burn]LANDS 20
4 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Arid Mesa
2 Copperline Gorge
1 Stomping Ground
1 Blood Crypt

CREATURES 12
4 Vexing Devil
4 Goblin Guide
4 Grim Lavamancer

INSTANTS and SORCERIES 28
4 Lava Spike
4 Bump in the Night
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Searing Blaze
4 Shard Volley
4 Skullcrack

SIDEBOARD 15
2 Back to Nature
2 Sudden Shock
2 Anger of the Gods
3 Destructive Revelry
4 Rakdos Charm[/deck]
I'll like to note Sudden Shock is really really good against Control, Vial and Rav.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:27 am

I like this - lots of 4 of's :) Buddy lands too, so they're not as bad as I was thinking after al!l :) Really looking forward to working on this after the w/end :)

Return to “Aggro”