[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:42 am

There's always selling babies...
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:46 am

Do a Todd Anderson. Live off your wife while pretending to be a pro player.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:47 am

Step 1: Acquire wife.

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:49 am

Step 1: Acquire rich wife.

Step 2: ???

:fixed:
Fuck you and the green you ramped in on. - My EDH battle cry. If I had one.

DocLawless
Tire Aficionado

Postby DocLawless » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:58 am

Step 1: Acquire rich wife.

Step 2: Live off your wife while pretending to be a pro player.

:fixed: :fixed:

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:48 am

Hearthstone again:

Is it just me, or are the few "secret" spells really obvious what they are when you cast them?

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:50 am

Depends on what your opponent does after casting them. In Arena, mage secret can be one of like, 5 affects. In constructed, hunters secret is dealing you damage and if it's not, it's freezing trap.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:22 am

So, what rank can you reasonably expect to get to on basic cards?

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:33 am

You can make legend on basic cards adding rares from arena runs/gold from daily quests. A couple of streamers did it just to show it's doable. One guy build a hyper aggressive warrior deck and went from 25 to legend in like, 5 days. Granted, I THINK he streams for a living so he has the luxury of deciding how many hours was reasonable in 5 days.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:12 am

Probably leveraging the win streak bonus stars.

I'm running a Priest deck so far that's basically just late game reach. Imagine white weenie with big butts and heals.

Really I just want the rank 20 back of the cards.

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:14 am

As for grinding for new cards, do you think I'm better off buying packs for the 100 gold or doing the arena runs?

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:36 am

As for grinding for new cards, do you think I'm better off buying packs for the 100 gold or doing the arena runs?
I believe Arena is where you want to be at in order to get cards and gold to continue playing arena. I haven't ventured into Arena really. I did play the free one and went 1/2 and then dropped like a tard. Still figuring out the game and trying to understand the basic archetypes and grinding out the basic cards for all the decks in the practice room and have played a few times in the regular constructed non-ranked to test my decks. Had a paladin aggro that did pretty good until I started getting paired with people with epics/legendaries that would stomp me. Made a warrior aggro deck with most of the creatures having haste which
so far seems pretty cool. Tempo Rogue seems cool too.

nme

Postby nme » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:08 am

Arenas are very straightforward and profitable if you have a solid grasp on how to play limited formats. I haven't played for a few months, but when I did you had a chance of getting dust on top of gold and packs, so in the long run you should pretty much always spend that gold on arena. I doubt it's changed and the rewards are likely better if you finish 10-12 wins. I'd also recommend holding on to all of your dust for legendaries and good class epics, because you'll get the majority of the blues you'd want out of packs.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:49 pm

Word.
Microsoft Word.

You a King fan, scralty?
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:24 pm

Getting degrees and going to school aren't for everybody. But here's my advice, for whatever it's worth. If you think you're one of those people who won't want or need one, please be DAMNED sure. Don't avoid it or quit it simply because "I don't know what I'm doing with my life so fuck it."

It's great that you enjoy your current job, Khaos, but have you thought about what would happen if that job stopped? How employable are you elsewhere? At some point every business expands and contracts. I'm getting laid off and this is my last week in the office - I should know. I just also happen to be going to law school right now, in the middle of a career change, so I'm ok with it (going to transfer to the Day Division and get the degree more quickly).

I guarantee you that you're not as secure in your employment as you think you are. EVERYBODY is replaceable. And once you've been at a certain
level for a while, you're prime bait for being laid off - a higher salary at your level than most people since you've been there longer and gotten more wage increases, but yet the floor for the level is much more affordable.

Also, people don't care about martyrs. It really doesn't matter how much time/blood/sweat/tears you put into a place. Going the extra mile and showing ambition is great, but don't use it like a bitch. I've seen people get fired because the organization was sick of them saying "I put in so much XYZ that I deserve ABC."

Is there anything at all that you've thought about in the back of your mind? Something like "I could maybe see myself doing that"? If so, take one step at a time accomplishing it. My favorite class in college was Constitutional Law so I had it in my head that "maybe" I wanted to pursue a law degree. But I didn't act on it for 10 years. Then I decided to just take the LSAT and see what happened. I did really well, so I
decided to apply to school. I was accepted, so I decided to go for the first semester and see how it was. I fucking love it. I'm really happy that I chose to dive in, and now I can't wait for this career change to be fully realized. But I didn't know that going into it. I was also one of those "I don't know what I want be when I grow up" people, even as recently as age 31.

Sorry for the rant, but had a few things to say. Basically, yes, school isn't for everybody. I get that, and I won't try to e-bully you into sticking with it. But please do yourself a favor and be VERY sure it's not for you before dropping it. And don't just think that Sam's Club will be there for you forever. Make sure you either have a backup plan or can develop one quickly.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:32 pm

Word.
Microsoft Word.

You a King fan, scralty?
negative
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:34 pm

they're always good stories that get ruined with psychic powers at the end

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:17 pm

Just wondering - you seem to be able to reference them well.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:36 pm

I read a lot

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:50 pm

As for degrees, man, who'd want an English degree? Those things are worthless.

My response: fuck off.

No degree is worthless. Yeah, I said it. A degree represents education, and education is always valuable since it opens you up to something new. The trick is that you have to know why you're getting a degree. As job and career training, college sucks because that's not what most higher ed schools are designed to do. If you're getting an art degree and expecting to make a lot of money by taking the world by storm, then you'll probably be sorely disappointed. But if you're getting that art degree because you sincerely want to study art, then that degree will be valuable to you. If you want a job with money, then you get a degree in a field that can make you a lot of money, but you'd better realize that you're probably not going to stay in that field your whole life.

The sad fact is that
society, especially here in the US, does not value education that highly. That's one of the main reasons why a lot of people with certain degrees don't make a lot of money. Certain skills are just not valued that highly. Case in point: written and oral communication. Oh sure, employers say that those skills are important to them, but they're certainly not willing to pay a lot for it, and most people hate taking those classes because they don't think they're all that useful. After all, everyone knows how to talk, and you're not going to be writing essays at your job, so why bother with those classes?

@khaos -- If you're not happy with what you're doing in school, then change what you're doing in school. You want to be challenged, but gen ed degrees are not challenging, therefore you're bored with your classes. If you can find what challenges you, then you'll find school worthwhile again.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:29 pm

@khaos -- If you're not happy with what you're doing in school, then change what you're doing in school. You want to be challenged, but gen ed degrees are not challenging, therefore you're bored with your classes. If you can find what challenges you, then you'll find school worthwhile again.
You're right. I need to be taking classes in person. Like I said before, I crave interaction and attention.

The hardest part about taking online classes (besides the non-interaction) is that it's very easy for me to forget due dates and such. For example, 99% of all the classes I've taken have the due dates for assignments for Sunday night at 11 pm. I missed a test for a class because the due date changed to Saturday one week because of server
maintenance that happening on Sunday. And then there's the Spring Break trap: just because it's Spring Break doesn't mean I don't have assignments due. Another test missed. At this point, I'm wondering if I can even salvage this current semester.

When I was taking in-person classes, I rarely dipped into the B-range. I'm lucky if I can average a C now.

And then there's the boredom. I know most of this stuff anyway. Reading the books (or e-books) bore me out of my skull. More than once I've awoken with my face in my book on my desk.

Now that I'm somewhat refreshed from yesterday (I've actually eaten, hydrated myself, slept for about 7 hours, and I've not worked a 10 hour day today), I can put a lot more thought into this without going off on a tangent and ranting. The dilemma I'm in feels like a no-win situation. I need to be taking classes in person if I'm going to pass school. However, the demands of my job won't let me do that. I simply do not have the time, energy, or focus to
continue doing both things. It's making miserable. I could simply step down from my position and possibly drop to part-time status (which is what I was doing when I started school), but then I can't afford to pay my rent and bills. And survival comes first. It always has.

In the meantime, I've decided to do what I can with this semester. If I pass, then this will be a feat worthy of celebration, complete with ritual sacrifices and explosions. If not, which is what I expect, then the real decision making will begin. An option I've considered is skipping the summer classes and attempt to work a deal with my managers (after I can explain my situation with them) where I cannot work past a certain time, say 3-4 pm, and also take 2 weekdays off instead of the typical Sundays and Tuesdays (I'm thinking Tuesdays and Thursdays instead). If I can manage this, I should be able to breeze through 3 classes in the Fall and 3 in the Spring, which should put me at enough credits to snag the
AA. After that, I can decide if I want to do further schooling or call it a day. If I can't work a deal, well, at least I'll have the end of Spring and part of the Summer to come with another plan.

At the end of the day, I really hate quitting anything. Hell, I can't even quit masturbating (it really is the best 30 seconds of my day :rofl: ). I'm the kind of person that when I decide to commit to something, I'm faithful and see it to the end. Unless I'm in this current situation where I'm being pulled into two different directions and I feel like I have to choose between one or the other. And I hate that.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:56 pm

You're right. I need to be taking classes in person. Like I said before, I crave interaction and attention.

The hardest part about taking online classes (besides the non-interaction) is that it's very easy for me to forget due dates and such. For example, 99% of all the classes I've
taken have the due dates for assignments for Sunday night at 11 pm. I missed a test for a class because the due date changed to Saturday one week because of server maintenance that happening on Sunday. And then there's the Spring Break trap: just because it's Spring Break doesn't mean I don't have assignments due. Another test missed. At this point, I'm wondering if I can even salvage this current semester.
http://www.amazon.com/b?node=1069456

That's just lazy on your part... I am sure you have a smartphone. Set a reminder. Better yet, complete your work ahead of time.

yurp yurp

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:03 pm

Better yet, complete your work ahead of time.
What is this sorcery?

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:24 pm

Why did you make me change your name if you're keeping the fish pic

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:30 pm

Kaitscralt
brave or just ready to die

damn dude.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:35 pm

just ready to die

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:46 pm

i feel like it.

DocLawless
Tire Aficionado

Postby DocLawless » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:07 am

Online courses really require a lot more self motivation than physical classrooms do. I took my generals online, and you really have to know how to wind yourself up. Some people are more externally motivated than internally, and for them the physical classrooms are easier. Khaos, you're an extrovert, so it makes sense that external forces are a greater motivator for you. Your brain is wired that way. Being familiar with how you learn is a thing too. People can usually say they learn best either by seeing, by being told, or by doing. History, for example, I learned just fine by "seeing" and "doing"; reading it in the book and memorizing facts by writing them down. Math, on the other hand, I cannot teach myself. I need it explained to me, and I have to follow that up with doing it myself; "being told" and "doing". So online math courses were more difficult for me than a physical classroom
would have been. You just have to figure out how your brain works to assimilate new information, and then don't fight the flow by studying some other way.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:13 am

A thing about online classes - professors do not accept "my internet went out" as an excuse. Even if it's true.

DocLawless
Tire Aficionado

Postby DocLawless » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:14 am

Fact.

Actually, they likely give less of a fuck than they do about physical classroom students and their excuses.

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:19 am

And they won't give one of these either:

http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Controlled ... B002P4J2P8

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:24 am

online classes are usually not easy, they tend to drop a lot of work on you to make up for not having to actually do anything or get off your ass ever

DocLawless
Tire Aficionado

Postby DocLawless » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:25 am

And for all the tests basically being open book.

"Here's a week's worth of work. You have a week. Go." Sounds doable. But all three or four classes tell you that every Monday. So every Monday you get handed three or four weeks worth of work to do in one week. Five days if you want a weekend.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:29 am

And for all the tests basically being open book.
That's the part I do like.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:29 am

Doc knows what's up.

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:34 am

See, I always cringed when I heard a professor tell me it was an open book test.

What he meant was, "You can bring your book, but if you need to open it to look for how to solve these problems, you won't have time to finish."

DocLawless
Tire Aficionado

Postby DocLawless » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:01 am

I pretty routinely Google troubleshooting answers to technical questions about my $17,000 printer as opposed to spend a few hundred to a few grand on calling for and scheduling a visit from a technician. You'd be amazed (or maybe you wouldn't be) at how much information is freely shared between other printers who don't want to pay for a service call over things they can fix themselves.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:04 am

My engineering exams, generally, were open book or allowed hand-written sheets that you could fill with equations. Only the most rainman-ish of us can remember every formula, and it seemed ridiculous to punish a student who couldn't remember an obscure equation but otherwise could do the work.

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:07 am

My engineering exams, generally, were open book or allowed hand-written sheets that you could fill with equations. Only the most rainman-ish of us can remember every formula, and it seemed ridiculous to punish a student who couldn't remember an obscure equation but otherwise could do the work.
Ditto this, actually. We always got a 3x5 note card we could bring with us for equations.

When I mentioned open book tests being awful, I was more referring to the application of those formulas or particularly on chemistry/physics classes. Every time I had an exam like that, I didn't bother bringing the book. I knew if I needed to open it, I wouldn't have the time to finish the problems anyway.

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:56 am

Hit rank 20 in Hearthstone last night with my mostly basic Priest deck. Haven't lost a ranked game yet (now I'm destined to lose at least three in a row).

Return to “Fires of Salvation”