[Primer] Boros Burn

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Elricity
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Elricity » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:56 am

Ok, varience in the other way. I play a VERY drunk esper player who azorius charms my phoenix and dsphere's ashley. He apologies for being drunk a ton and then scoops turn 2 game 2 which is odd cause I had all tap lands and 2 cackler, whee =\

Flunked out of the daily event after losing again to mono u 1-2. would have been a solid hand if the temples of silence I have were mutavaults. He got ahead on devotion cause my last two lands were tapped. Way it goes.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:42 am

Ok, so double queuing is kind of stressful but not worth doing when you're 0-2 in the daily event.

Notalec
Newcomer

Postby Notalec » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:53 am

Ran an FNM tonight with this list, pretty much Z's, BO over Trooper because there's been almost no monsters around here lately, and a more than a few people with their eyes on Obzedat. If I had to go again I'd probably take his advice on the 3/4 shock/helix main and put another Assemble in the last SB slot.

[deck]
Creatures
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Young Pyromancer

Enchantments
3 Chained to the Rocks

Instants
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
3 Warleader's Helix

Lands
2 Boros Guildgate
10 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard
1 Assemble the Legion
2 Blind Obedience
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Glare of Heresy
2 Mizzium Mortars
1 Mutavault
4 Rakdos Cackler
1 Young Pyromancer
1 Warleader's Helix
[/deck]

Came up against a bit of an unusual field for a Friday, rounds 1 and 2 were newer
players with their unique budget variants, rounds 3 and 4 were probably the only people in the room running the decks that they were, round 5 was just BW, but a bit of an odd variant. I probably sideboarded a lot of these wrong, I'm bad at that shit.

Round 1 vs. Wb aggro (piloted by a very young kid): - lost the roll +2 MM +1 Chained +1 Glare +1 YP +1 Helix -4 Skullcrack -2 Charm

G1 I ride Helix to the win, G2 YP gets me there. Lot of sub-optimal plays on his part but he's a kid, cut him some fucking slack.

Round 2 vs weird budget burn (piloted by a guy at his first standard tourney) - lost the roll +2 MM +1 Chained +1 Helix +2 BO -4 Skullcrack -2 Charm

These were two of the most intense games I had all day. Game 1 I kept a creature heavy draw, which didn't help me at all when he threw down a FDS, and then another when I removed the first. I barely got there with 2 Helices to keep me alive and burn him out while he beat me down with FDS and a
Mindsparker of all things. I had a Chained for his Flame-Wreathed Phoenix, but if I hadn't had lethal on my last turn he would have killed me with an Utvara Hellkite.

Game 2 I had more creature burn, so I was able to control the board a bit better, and my second YP stuck to give me the game.

Round 3 vs Mono U - lost the roll +2 MM +1 Chained +1 YP +1 Helix -4 Skullcrack -1 Charm

I've played more RDW than I should have this rotation, I've been run over by this guy more often than I like, but the burn matchup is much better so I'm not too concerned, especially with YP in the main. I cut his deck into 5 piles, take the top card from 4 piles, say, "these are your Master of Waves." and put them on the bottom, and the 5th pile on top, and we head into the game. Must have worked, because he never saw a Master.

Game 1 he played a T1 Cloudfin T2 nothing, it's my favorite play from mono U. I start beating down with a Phoenix and a
Mutavault. He hits Thassa into Nightveil, which lets him swing for 6, but I'm able to chain the Thassa and Strike the Nightveil next turn, then continue the beatdown from there and close it out before he draws anything relevant.

Game 2 his first play is a T3 Tidebinder, which I jet on his end step and start the Phoenix beatdown. He plays another Tidebinder, I Shock it, he Hybridizes it, I Jet it, scry 2 and look smug. I'm able to control his board from there and Phoenix reminds us all why he's the only core card in the deck, with a little help from Mutavault and some burn.

Round 4 vs GW aggro - lost the roll +2 MM +1 Chained +1 Glare +1 Helix +1 YP -4 Charm -2 Zealot

This matchup sucks, I really wanted to be against the guy who was somehow 3-0 playing UB mill, but that's luck for you.

Game 1 I keep a risky hand because I know that I have to take risks to win this match, but it doesn't pan out. I also misplayed, I know his deck, and I let him untap and save a Boon
Satyr with Charm rather than Shocking it after he played it on my end step.

Game 2 (my first game on the play, not sure if I should be happy about that or sad) I can't remember at all, according to my lifepad I only lost 2 life, maybe YP blocking all day and night?

Game 3 I was lucky as fuck, the only way I had a hope here. He keeps a 2 lander with a good amount of 1 drops, but he doesn't find a 3rd land until much later, and an untapped 4th land might have won it for him, but he drew one of his 3 temples instead, and I shamelessly ride his misfortune to victory. That's luck for you.

Round 5 vs BW - won the roll (finally!) +1 Assemble +1 Chandra +2 BO -4 Zealot

We split, but decide to play it out for funzies. The games are all blurring together at this point, all I know is that afterward he showed me his deck and he had a 3/3/3/3 split of Lifebane/Demon/Baron/Obzedat as his only creatures main, and he saw Big Daddy O every game. I took game 2 on the back of some
Skullcracks and Assemble, but he took 1 and 3. Both of those games he ended at 1 life, and I know I misplayed one of them by missing a potential Mutavault swing, but I wasn't playing very tight by that point anyways so it doesn't bother me much. Never saw my 2 BOs, but Assemble did some work.

All in all I was concerned by the fact that I saw so many other burn players, I'm a bit afraid I might start getting hated out. More importantly I'm afraid that all of the control players will get hated out and I won't get as many easy targets. With the 2nd BO in I'll probably put in the 3rd GG. If this keeps I'll have to reconsider SFD, or Searing Blood again.

This took way longer than I though, time for sleep. I'll be playing in a $100 cash prize tourney tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes. I'm sure you guys will have 5 pages on how my deck it out of date by the time that ends.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:01 am

It's actually not entirely easy for players to hate burn out without hurting every other matchup. They definitely have a few cards for sure but we have about 3 different builds that attack from different ways and there just aren't enough cards to hate every direction. I've been changing my deck drastically every week which is making things hard on opponents who I think actively are gunning for me.

montu

I <3 Turn 2 Scoops

Postby montu » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:24 am

DaBase
Newcomer

Postby DaBase » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:15 pm

First of all I want to thank you for all the discussion and hints about this wonderful deck :)

Yesterday I had a chance to test the deck outside of our small playgroup at a 31-man FNM (paper) with following deck (based on Z's deck)

[deck]
Creatures
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Young Pyromancer

Instants
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
3 Warleader's Helix

Enchantments
3 Chained to the Rocks

Lands
2 Mutavault
3 Boros Guildgate
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
10 Mountain

Sideboard
1 Assemble the Legion
2 Blind Obedience
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Fated Conflagration
2 Mizzium Mortars
4 Rakdos Cackler
2 Revoke Existence
1 Spark Trooper
1 Young Pyromancer
[/deck]

1. Game vs. B/W Midrange (friend of our playgroup) - 2:0
1. Round: It was
a quick and dirty first round, burning him down without any problems. Had some pretty good draws.
Boarding: -4 Shock, -4 Skullcrack, +1 YP$, +2 BO, +4 Cackler, +1 Revoke Existence
2. Round: Had a pretty good start with AZ and Cacklers. His desecration demon was permanently tapped thanks to YP$. This round was also very quick and dirty :)

2. Game vs. RW Burn - 2:1
Was a little bit afraid, because I have to experience since our playgroup doesn't play any burn or even aggro deck.
1. Round was like AZ vs AZ, CP vs CP, Magma Jet vs. Lightning Strike, Charm vs. Shock, but than my helix hitted together with 2 CP taking him down.
Boarding: -4 Skull Crack, -4 YP$, +4 Cackler, +2 BO, +1 CttR, +1 Spark Trooper
2. Round: Mulligan down to 5, than I was flooded. Had no chance to recover. At the end I got Spark Trooper, but it was already to late.
No Boarding:
3. Round: This time my opponent was flooded.
Funny was, I had BO online. He was at 4 life and casted Spark Trooper, attacked, began to add lifepoint until I reminded him on BO ^^. Ended the game with 20LP

After this game we talked about the deck. He had the usuall decklist from the last tournaments and was quite impressed about the decklist you guys figured out. Started to watch another RW Burn playing with the same decklist as his.

3. Game vs. Mono Red Aggro - 2:1
1. Round was a race, which I won with 8 life.
Boarding: -4 Skullcrack, -3 YP$, +2 BO, +4 Rakdos Cackler, +1 Spark Trooper
2. Round started real good for me with a solid start. Got 2 cacklers and burned his 2 cacklers in one round with 2 shocks. But I got no white manasource until this turn (played sacred foundry tapped), leaving me with 1 helix, 1 charm and 1 spark trooperon 13 life. In his round he got me down to 2 life with a lot of creatures and burn and than he played Mindsparker -__- and I couldn't play my helix or charm
without dying. My trooper got me back to 8 life but this didn't change my faith. Lost while he was still at 12 life.
No Boarding.
3. Round: pretty solid start for me and got him down in 8 turn, while I was back to 20 lifes thank to helix.

4. Game vs GRb Monster - 1:2
It was a young player, but with a lot of tournament experience. Know him from the last FNM and he is regulary top placed at the FNM.
1. Round: Veeery good and hearth beating round. He won with 3 life. I was shortly ahead but then he top decked SBD and attacked with him, one reaper and some smaller creatures.
Boarding: -4 AZ, -4 Shock, -1 Skullcrack (since he had Nyleas Disciple) +2 BO, +2 Mizzium Mortars, +1 Fated Conflagration, +1 YP$, +1 Spark Trooper, +1 CttR, +1 Assemble
2. Round: Got BO online very early, burned his elfs and slowing him down. He got 2 Domris but couldn't find any creature. Won this round with 16 life.
Boarding: no Boarding
3. Round: man... this was one of the best games I ever had. It
was an up and down on both sides. He got me down to 5 and I cast helix and trooper going back to 15 and swing with my creatures leaving him at 7. He stroke back an put me to 4 life, leaving me without any chance to defend me in his next turn. My charm putted him down to 3. My draw... had a lot of outs, because I had not draw any Strike, just one skullcrack and 2 charms. But I draw a mountain and he won. But still one of the best games I had in the last time :)
Thoughts after: My biggest problem were his planeswalkers. I was never sure to burn them down or attack him. In the 3. round I was forced to keep his domri down, so that he can't fire his ultimate. But after the game I ask myself, if I shouldn't have burned my opponent directly. Maybe this would had won me the game? I don't know.

5. Game vs. Golgari Midrange? - 2:1
1. Round: Both of us had a solid start, but he wasn't sure about my deck
and didn't know at first how to play against burn. Won it with leaving me at 14 life.
Boarding: -4 AZ, -3 Shock, +1 YP$, +1 Spark Trooper, +2 Mizzium Mortars, +1 CttR, +1 Fated Conflagration, +1 Assemble
2. Round: Mulligan down to 4 and I couldn't real get back to game. Lost this round with him at 7 life.
Boaring: I wasn't sure if my boarding before was correct. Should I play the creature plan and try to overrun him early or should I try to burn him down and stabilize the game with YP$, BO and Assemble? Decided to stick to my first boarding and didn't change my deck.
3. Round: This time he was flooded and this round was ended within five turns.

Made place three out of 31 and I am veeeery satisfied with this deck.
But I am sure I made some mistakes, especially with the boarding :-/ Since I don't play online, I can't play that much magic as I want and test. So I participate the forum and enjoy watch your Videos,
for which I am very thankfull ;)

SB thought:
I think I will put out Fated Conflagration and add maybe 1 Glare of Heresy.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:29 pm

Drew eight cards in a game with Chandra. Was an insane game, beating triple Desecration Demon and double Gray Merchant. Nail biting stuff.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:17 pm

Drew eight cards in a game with Chandra. Was an insane game, beating triple Desecration Demon and double Gray Merchant. Nail biting stuff.
So, yeah, I guess you could say that you and Chandra are getting kind of serious.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:19 pm

I actually had a similar experience against Mono Black at SCG Orlando.

:love: Chandra.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Nezeru
Newcomer

Tournament update

Postby Nezeru » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:47 pm

2-0 so far in platinum 1k with zem's most recent list which just changed to match my 75 :)
Round one against mono black aggro was very easy, yp did lots of work. I boarded out boros charms and brought in mutavault, assemble and two mortars.

Round two against jund monsters I burned him out on my fifth upkeep after he dropped reaper. Boarded incorrectly -4 boros charm -3 skullcrack, +1 mutavault +2 mortars +1 chained +1 blob +1 yp$ +1 spark trooper. Won game two on the draw because of ash zealot and yp racing his bow of nylea. Does chandra come in here? I think maybe ash zealot stays in on the play and comes out on the draw. Skullcrack feels relevant if they have bow.

Nezeru
Newcomer

Tournament update

Postby Nezeru » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:52 pm

Lost round three to mono black. This was frustrating.
Game one I mulligan to four to keep a one land hand. My seven was muta as the only land, my six was the same, my five had no lands. I got stuck on one land but soon got into a situation where a topdecked charm or helix or running burn spells was lethal. I hit mountain and chain.

Boarding: -4 jet -4 charm +1 assemble chain chandra vault +4 cackler
Game two I kept a two lander and never saw my 4th. I died holding triple helix assemble skullcrack to an army of rats.

Jedi_Knight

Postby Jedi_Knight » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:01 pm

Seriously, Chandra is amazing for when you want her. I for one am going with 2 in SB.

Nezeru
Newcomer

Postby Nezeru » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:38 pm

Won 2-0 to esper going to 3-1.

cloudscraper
Newcomer

Postby cloudscraper » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi guys! Played the deck in a 20ish men tournament today. Perfected the swiss, then lost in the top8 to one of the most decent players in the room. Let me know how would you have handled this situation.

My opponent is a very good local player, multiple PTQ top4s, playing straight monoblack devotion and we are in game 2.

He has mutavault and 4 swamps, 2 of which are untapped after having made a rat. He has 3 pack rat tokens + the original pack rat, meaning I will have to chump on his next attack. He only has a single card in hand, and i have a strong read that the card is Bile Blight.

I have 5 lands total, a tapped temple which scryed a mountain to the bottom a couple turns earlier, a guildgate, 2 mutavault and a mountain. So i have 5 lands untapped.

My opponent is at 8 life, I have a Chandra's Phoenix in play.

I lightning strike him EOT, send him to 5, then Magma Jet.
I see Mountain - Shock.

I bottom both,
here is my reasoning. If I keep the shock, it becomes lethal ONLY if he kills my phoenix at the end of his own turn for no apparent reason (i.e. i gamble on his mistake) and I reduce my outs for the 2nd draw step (helix won't be an out cause i'll be at 3 lands).
By bottoming the shock, I get 2 fresh looks to a 3-dmg burn spell, while only on the 2nd draw step the helix is not an out anymore.

(in the spoiler I describe what happened in the end)
In the end, I draw Chained then Mountain as my two draw steps, while my opponent bile blighted the phoenix on HIS end step, making the shock I bottomed lethal. a Bad way to end the tournament
Do you think I misplayed or not?

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:00 pm

If you ended with no cards in hand, he had no reason to play differently so you were just dead on board.

cloudscraper
Newcomer

Postby cloudscraper » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:21 pm

If you ended with no cards in hand, he had no reason to play differently so you were just dead on board.

He gave me shock as an additional out, even as a fresh new card off the top.

Why use removal on HIS eot, so i can shock and recast phoenix?

cloudscraper
Newcomer

Postby cloudscraper » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:24 pm

Mono-Black DRAW
-4 Shock
+2 Chained
+1 Assemble
+1 Young Pyromancer

Mono-Black PLAY
-2 Jets
-4 Shock
+4 Cackler
+1 Young Pyromancer
+1 Chandra, Pyromaster

what do you think about this Zem?

Reasoning about a reduced number of chained on the play is that I don't ever want to chain a Pack Rat while i'm on the play, while I might on the draw if my clock is not fast enough.

JohnnyfnB

FNM Domination!

Postby JohnnyfnB » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:38 pm

Last night I ran the build minus YP and added Titan's Strength. Here it is:

4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix

2 Chained to the Rocks
4 Shock
3 Titan's Strength
4 Magma Jet
4 Skullcrack
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
4 Warleader's Helix

2 Boros Guildgate
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
10 Mountain

Sideboard
3 Rakdos Cackler (boarded never came up)
2 Chained to the Rocks (boarded came up)
2 Spark Trooper (never boarded)
1 Blind Obedience (boarded and came up)
1 Boros Reckoner (boarded never came up)
2 Mizzium Mortars (boarded never came up)
1 Assemble the Legion (never boarded)
1 Chandra, Pyromaster (boarded never came up)
1 Glare of Heresy (boarded never came up)
1 Wear/Tear (boarded came up)

As you can see my board has changes based on my meta. This side was the most efficient side I have ever had with this build.

Round 1
FIGHT!

BUG Superfriends Won 2-0

Game 1

I win the roll and play. T2 AZ swing for 2 and I have Titan's Strength in hand. His drop Sylvan Caryatid, exactly one of the reasons I decided to add TS. T3 I swing with AZ, he blocks with SC and smiles. I play TS and Sylvan Caryatid becomes Titan's first victim. End of his turn I jet him and set up the next draw. Game 1 ends with me at 18, because I shocked myself.

Game 2

I mull to 6. He misses his 2 drops. End of his turn 2 I Lightning Strike him. His T3 a Kiora hits the table and I have Chandra's Phoenix. T4 dropped 2 AZ on. T5 I play a TS on 1 AZ, activate Mutavault, play Boros Charm for 4 gg. Both games were played in 22 mins.

Round 2 FIGHT!

Rakdos Aggro Won 2-0

Game 1

I win the die roll and everything he drops I burn. Punish him with CP who sneaks in a TS. Game ends with me at 18 life.

Game 2

I don't even bother to side. I mull to 6. This one was closer and almost as fast.
End of his turn I was at 8 and he was at 11 before he lost 6 to Boros Charm and Shock. Send his ass into the negatives on my turn. 25 mins left to play in the round.

Round 3 FIGHT!

Junk Won 2-1

Game 1

He got me down to 12 before I finished him off. I knew this was going to be a challenge.

Game 2 Loss

I had an OK hand he had the nut draw. He played around my burn spell correctly and kept his troll alive by dumping creatures and always keeping up regen mana. I flooded my next 2 draws while he played Unflinching Courage on his Troll. I was at 5 life and he was at 37, before he finished me. I could draw a CttR, Wear/Tear, or Glare of Heresy to save my life. My first loss all night.

Game 3

I mull to 6 and always was 1 step ahead of him. I was down to 14 life before I finished him. I have the best record and the best tie breakers. Last round.

Round 4 FIGHT!

Mono White Aggro/Devotion

Game 1

I win the roll and play.
I play Mountain and pass, he plays a Soldier of Pantheon and I Shock it. I swing with AZ. He plays Precinct Capt. T3 I Magma Jet his Capt and swing. He plays Brimaz. T4 I swing with AZ, he laughs and smirks and says, "block with Brimaz, make a token also blocking", I play Titan's Strength and I say, "TS killing Brimaz and the blocking token and AZ lives and I scry 1." LOL! He turned that card around so fast. Victim number 2 to TS. I Wear/Tear his Spear next turn. I flood a little, but kill him with 11 life left.

Game 2

I took more of a control deck approach boarding in 8 cards. This game was the longest match and was very close. During the game 3 Chained's help he win. I was low on creatures so my Mutavault did some work. I thought I was going to get my 3rd TS victim from my vault on his Capt., but he used Rootborn Defenses. Bastard! Right before I won, I was at 7 and he was at 6.

Almost a perfect record with a first place win. I know people are having success
with YP and that's awesome. I am more of an aggressive player and LOVE Titan's Strength in the deck. If it's not broke, don't fix it. With the exception of a few mana burps and 2 Mul to 6, it operated perfectly. Killed people and pissed them off.

:flame:
There is nothing greater than standing over the smoking corpse of your opponent.

Nezeru
Newcomer

Postby Nezeru » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:43 pm

Got in mana issues two rounds in a row and dropped at 3-3 :-(

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:22 pm

He gave me shock as an additional out, even as a fresh new card off the top.

Why use removal on HIS eot, so i can shock and recast phoenix?
Ah, I see now. I guess you could have kept the shock and make him have it. How many burn outs did you have?

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:33 am

Played shitload of 8 mans today plus 8 man. Managed to get 2 qps only ;/, but didnt miss on money as I won first round every time.

Lost twice to Monsters missing him by 1 or 2 damage. Probably because of not experienced with this deck yet.

Also I played a lot mirrors. Everyone is playing blood. Everyone is winning vs me because they play blood on my creature. Everyone is playing skullcrack and boros charm post board. I dont know what is correct, but it seams strange not to play blood. They even dont kill my ash zealot that swing 8 damage as they just unload 4 burn spells at the end of their turn for big burst, negating helix with skullcrack.

Also no one plays around blood. Played vs mono black, WB, they easily play turn 2 rat or turn 3 zombie. Mono Blue doesnt care, plays into it. Everyone blocks ash zealot and don play around potential burn to finish things off. Maybe it is because I played around bad players, but
no one plays around this card.

I however liked shocks and YP, as they are awsome together.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:49 am

I recommend you apply that logic and play Searing Blood, your not playing in a GP right now infested with Esper and Bx devotion right (even if you were, Blood isn't HORRIBLE)?

On Modo we see burns... lots of burn, Blood happens too be good against burn thus not running Blood is silly.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:03 am

What do I cut for blood? Ash Zealots or YP$?
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:05 am

Whichever is weaker in your meta.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:05 am

Btw in burn infested metagame does heavier creature version of burn (Cacklers, BTE, YP, Phoenix, Firefist etc) is better than normal burn?

How is burn vs Junk (the one Reid Duke played in Invitational? It should start to see play as pro did quite good with it)
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:06 am

Whichever is weaker in your meta.
I think meta everywhere is quite the same... Most shops / gpts / gp i went to meta was almost identical to the mtgo meta.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Crims0n
Newcomer

Postby Crims0n » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:13 am

[deck]4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Young Pyromancer

2 Chained to the Rocks

4 Lightning Strike
3 Searing Blood
4 Magma Jet
3 Warleader's Helix
4 Boros Charm
3 Shock
3 Skullcrack

9 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Boros Guildgate
2 Mutavault
1 Temple of Silence
1 Temple of Malice

2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Fated Conflagration
2 Mizzium Mortars
1 Skullcrack
1 Burning Earth
4 Rakdos Cackler
1 Young Pyromancer
2 Spark Trooper[/deck]

Went 5-1 at FNM last night. Deck runs so good. I still like Searing Blood a lot, I just can't take it out

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:14 am

1) Junk is a bad MU (much like how it was post BnG) horrible cards like Wear // Tear can improve that MU though.

2) AiR strategies are weak to Burn esp. if they're running a full set of Searing blood and 2-3 Shocks.

3) I'll personally never cut ash because its your only hope against FSP (which I predict a huge resurgence, at least on MODO...) you can cut into some Chains, YP$, Skull, MJ, Boros Charms and/or Helix to fit in 2-4 Blood MD if you really want too (I don't recommend a full play set though).

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:28 am

Ah and noone had problems with obzedats? That card is soo good right now.

If u cant kill it before they cast it that means you did sth wrong and is supposed to loose?

And whats up with some pros telling mono blue is bad matchup. It seems quite good to be honest.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:33 am

Ah and noone had problems with obzedats? That card is soo good right now.
Obzedat by itself is ok, Obzedat with Whip usually means your dead... if your having problems with just obzedat you can try Fated Conflagration (which I think is horrible).
And whats up with some pros telling mono blue is bad matchup. It seems quite good to be honest.
I think its because for some reason the "pros" think Rw Aggro and Burn are the same deck...

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:36 am

MDU, LaZerBurn made a good point today on MTGO that because we're playing YP main now, vs Esper we are less aggressive and also I think less surprising than in the days of Viashino Firstblade. If games go longer, is 4 FDS / Cackler still enough you think or do we need to look for SB cards that can win the game on their own?
MTGO handle: Clemens268

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:45 am

I think you're being a little too harsh on Fated, MDU. It's not playable against Ux and Aggro, but it's better than Mortars against Esper and Orzhov control. Vs. Monsters I rate it similar. I like a 1/1 split Mortars / Fated (but I also have SFDs in the board against all those horrible pile.dec homebrews in 2- and 8-mans on MTGO that I lose against far too often... ;-) )
MTGO handle: Clemens268

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:47 am

I don't actually have that much experience with early Z Boros Burn so I can't really answer that (I barely even played with VFB) - I do believe 1cc creatures should be enough to take them down.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:09 am

@ Pedros - Blind Obedience is the tech of choice for shutting down Ghost Dad and Whip. BW is a hard match up though. Satyr Firedance DESTROYS MonoU but hardly anyone is playing MonoU. If it makes a comeback simply run the Dancer :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:24 am

What do I cut for blood? Ash Zealots or YP$?
YP was in the SB until Zem moved it to the MD here. He's tweaked his list once more here

I've tried running YP in the MD myself and I hate it, based on making R2 once in 7 8 man's :( Clearly I'm missing something fundamental as Zem has over 20 QP already but I've no idea what it is.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:36 am

I wouldn't be surprised if its a playstyle thing; i've killed two people with ultimating Chandra this morning, so my approach is probably a bit different.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:37 am

I am mostly facing MBC and Esper, where Searing Blood is just MUCH worse than YP$; its not that Searing Blood is unplayable there, its just worse, that's all.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:37 am

I've played Junk twice and beat it so far both times; but I think they were both budget versions without Voice of Resurgence, because it most certainly SHOULD be a bad matchup.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

BiddingMaster

Postby BiddingMaster » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:48 am

what is our plan post board vs bw midrange?

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:57 am

Got in mana issues two rounds in a row and dropped at 3-3 :-(
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Return to “Archives”