Red Deck Wins

Moderator: LP, of the Fires

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:19 pm

Won round 7 vs Junk. Actually lost through a T3 Blood Moon because Batterskull is cool. Got there on GG > Eidolon > molten rain > molten rain in G3.

4-3 on the day, not the finish we were looking for, but I know it was because A) inexperienced at modern b) didn't prepare well c) didn't check deck reg carefully d) tilt after game loss e) didn't eat breakfast.

Don't do these things.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Thoughts on Figure of Destiny in this deck?

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:59 am

Slows down the goldfish but increases threat density. I think Khaos has been running him as a one of.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:01 am

I personally am in love with Figure and would run all four if I could make it work.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:17 am

Instead of Mogg Fanatic? I'd like something else for that slot because it just doesn't work for me.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:18 am

Probably a meta thing.

I imagine I might feel differently if I played against Twin or whatever.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:45 am

Just Confirming, Lightning_Dolt were you running the Heal's latest version with 10 face burns and 10 flex burns MD or was it the older RDW list?

I'll argue the Burn version is better vs Control and G based decks, while RDW is better vs Twin and Affinity (though both version are fairly decent in these MUs).

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:13 am

Thoughts on Figure of Destiny in this deck?
Val is correct; I play Figure as a singleton. 3/1 split with Lava Man. He was instrumental in helping me defeat Zoo the last time I played when I was able to wall up as a 4/4.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:18 am

I REALLy like 3 Lavamancer, 1 Figure.

Keith:
- eat breakfast
- write your list out BEFORE the event
- don't tilt
- don't be a lightning dolt
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:22 am

That last piece of advice is critical.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:15 pm

Just Confirming, Lightning_Dolt were you running the Heal's latest version with 10 face burns and 10 flex burns MD or was it the older RDW list?

I'll argue the Burn version is better vs Control and G based decks, while RDW is better vs Twin and Affinity (though both version are fairly decent in these MUs).
Had the more burn oriented list sleeved, but switched to the original at last minute. In hindsight, wish I hadn't.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:19 pm

Keith:
- eat breakfast
- don't tilt
Thats just it though. I'm one of those bad red players everyone talks about, I just have occasional moments of brilliance / luck lol.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:59 pm

Keith:
- eat breakfast
- don't tilt
Thats just it though. I'm one of those bad red players everyone talks about, I just have occasional moments of brilliance / luck lol.
We all are. There's nothing wrong with that. Use it to your advantage. People will underestimate you a lot. ;-)

I know how you feel right now, having felt the sting of defeat from losing at a
tournament that you care so much about winning. This will pass. And you'll look back later and realized you made some mistakes that you're not catching right now. And from that, you'll walk away with a much better understanding of Magic, your deck, the metagame, and (most importantly) yourself.

Zem likes to talk about how you can win with a ham-fucking-sandwhich if you're a strong player. And he's mostly right. A competent pilot with a medium-to-strong deck can beat the best of the best despite some bad card choices because he is the better player.

Like you noted, you fucked up royally by not getting the proper sleep and nutrition (and possibly hydration), and changing your deck at the last minute. I'm sure that if you could've relived the last 48 - 60 hours, you would've had your deck sleeved up, boxed up, and put away along with your deck registration sheet. Your backpack would've been filled with bottled water, vitamins, 5 Hour Energy (Works for me. No crash later.
), protein bars, peanuts, beef jerky and other high protein and easy to eat snacks (You never want to get too full or eat too much bread cuz, y'know, crash and sleepiness). Your alarm would've been set for you to have more than enough time to wake up, perform your morning rituals, light workout (if you do that sort of thing), and eat/drink properly before leaving the house. Lastly, you would've been asleep at a decent hour to ensure that you get 7 1/2 - 8 hours of sleep. Can't get to sleep? They sell Sleepytime Tea and Melatonin pretty cheap at any ole grocery store. The shit works, believe me.

Sounds like a lot prep, but it works. If you want to get to the top, you have to realize that game-winning decisions are made DAYS in advance, not just in the heat of battle. Your whole tournament could be over simply due to a bad call you made 24 hours earlier. Unfortunately for me, I've made many of these kind of mistakes in the past. Drinking at FNM the night before a big
tournament 2 hours away? SURE! That single decision right there is probably what cost me at States years ago. Fortunately for you, you can learn from me. Oh, and if it sounds like a lonely way to spend the night before a big tournament, remember this: it's lonely at the top. But at least you made it there.

I've used this "pre-tournament" ritual I just outlined EVERY DAY for when I go to work. And in the last 6 months, I've climb higher on the "ladder" than I thought I ever would. I look better, feel better, and I'm thinking better. I'm healthier. If I use this approach for my professional life, then why shouldn't I use it for my 'Magical" life?

Keith, I know you feel like hanging yourself right now, but don't beat yourself up too badly. Force yourself to take a few days off from Magic if you have to. Like, nothing at all Magic related. Don't even post Magic stuff in the forums (Clan Clubhouse is ok) until you're ready. You may just need to clear your head. Once you
do that, you can look at things from a fresh perspective. Call it a "cleansing" if you will. It works for me from time to time.

Anyways, you'll get back on the horse and you'll better, faster, and stronger. I know you've got it in you. You've come a long way in the last year and your growth is far from over. You got this, bro. :smileup:

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:03 pm

"Wise nigga is wise." LP

^This is sooo fuckin' true! You're an inspiration Khaos! :)

L.D. - You've come further than you realise and you'll go further than you think possible right now :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:08 pm

:hug:

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm not that bummed about the tournament. I was at the time but got over it quickly. I'm bummed about unrelated things that I may or may not share in the personal shit thread. Magic is one of tge only good things I have in my life right now.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:26 pm

I appreciate the support. I wish we were friends IRL.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:40 pm

We're friends on Facebook. That's like the next best thing. Cuz, y'know, it's never real until its on Facebook lol

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:27 pm

I doubt this is really competitive, but out of my mediocre card pool on MTGO, I did consider playing this:

[deck]
Creatures 20
4 Goblin Guide
4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Stormblood Berserker

Spells 20
2 Shrine of Burning Rage
2 Forked Bolt
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Searing Blaze
4 Molten Rain

Land 20
1 Keldon Megaliths
19 Mountain
[/deck]

I suppose all the deck really needs is fetches and the 3/1 Lava Man/Figure split to bump it up. But at the end of the day, it just seems like too much work to make Berserker and Marauders work. However, if you really want to just get there by turning dudes sideways, this may satisfy you.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:49 pm

I'd replace Searing Blaze with Searing Blood due to lack of fetchlands, and I'd also play Rakdos Cackler over Keldon Marauders. You need at least 12 one drop creatures.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:00 pm

I'd replace Searing Blaze with Searing Blood due to lack of fetchlands, and I'd also play Rakdos Cackler over Keldon Marauders. You need at least 12 one drop creatures.
It all comes down to synergy and the Berserker. Gotta have as many ways to turn him "on" as possible. Marauders with his ping ability upon entering and leaving makes him much more valuable than a Cackler. He's also a much stronger late game topdeck. Searing Blaze is great since it can still ping the opponent, which as you guessed, still turns on the Berserker.

Cards that turn on Berserker (excluding creature attacks):
Mogg Fanatic
Keldon Marauders
Eidolon triggers on your opponent during your turn (hey, it happens)

Lightning Bolt (obviousy)
Rift Bolt (suspend
on Turn 1, dome opponent in upkeep, play Berseker)
Searing Blaze
Forked Bolt (kill dork, ping 1)
Molten Rain (all of my yes)
Keldon Megaliths

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:01 pm

But I do agree that the deck needs more 1-drop creatures. If there were fetches, I'd maybe recommend cutting the Molten Rains for the 3/1 Lava Man/Figure package. Or maybe even the Forked Bolt/Shrine.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:08 pm

I feel like Rakdos Cackler offers a similar role that Keldon Marauders does for Berserker. Playing a one drop and getting in next turn just as easily turns him on, whereas you have to wait for Marauder to die or get in an attack to play Berserker unless you have four mana.

I'm personally on the cut Molten Rain plan anyway. I feel like the deck needs to speed up the goldfish. There are times where Molten Rain is stellar but other times where it's just a three mana Shock.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:10 pm

If the concern is turning Berserker on it could just be that Marauder is better. Play like a burn deck except with creatures and try to end the game on turn four. Eschew Molten Rain and Berserker for Lava Spike and Rakdos Cackler.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:13 pm

If the concern is turning Berserker on it could just be that Marauder is better. Play like a burn deck except with creatures and try to end the game on turn four. Eschew Molten Rain and Berserker for Lava Spike and Rakdos Cackler.
If you're gonna do that, than what's the point of playing the deck? Just play Mono Red Burn then. Cackler is terrible.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:19 pm

Here's what I've learned about Modern: Your deck should be capable of having roughly a Turn 4 nutdraw. However, unless you're a Storm deck, you will fail the majority of the time if you play like you have to win on turn 4. You have to be prepared to play awhile because you will not always have that Turn 4 win. If you force it, you're gonna blow your wad and die.

For example, look at Twin (and this is a mediocre example): When the deck first became a thing, it hinged solely on that turn 4-5 combo win. Now, it wants to play a longer, more tempo-oriented game because the good pilots know that if they try to force the win early, they can get blown out. Instead, they play it smart and now look at its evolution: it's not called Tempo Twin for nothing. But it still does have the capability of going "Oops, I win!"

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:30 pm

After some reconsideration, this may work:

[deck]
Creatures 24
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Goblin Guide
4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Stormblood Berserker

Burn 16
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Searing Blaze
4 Molten Rain

Land 20
1 Keldon Maruaders
19 Mountain
[/deck]

I think if the deck is going to utilize Molten Rain to its full effect, you really need to land an aggressive presence early. It's pretty devastating to land 2 attackers and set your opponent back a land. That kind of tempo advantage is simply enough to win a game most times. I can concede that that's where Cackler can be pretty useful.

You're Welcome, LP
Last edited by Khaospawn on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:31 pm

But, yeah, fetches would make the deck work so much better.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:35 pm

Why are you passing on Vexing Devil?

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:37 pm

2 reasons - The deck really wants to have a board presence. The second, I just don't have any online yet, lol.

This was just a deckstorming exercise. But I think it has merit.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:37 pm

Like, I really think that all of the other cards are just stronger than the Devil. At least, in this kind of shell.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:58 pm

[deck]
Creatures 24
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Goblin Guide
4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Stormblood Berserker

Burn 16
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Searing Blaze
4 Molten Rain

Land 20
1 Keldon Maruaders
19 Mountain
[/deck]

I think if the deck is going to utilize Molten Rain to its full effect, you really need to land an aggressive presence early. It's pretty devastating to land 2 attackers and set your opponent back a land. That kind of tempo advantage is simply enough to win a game most times. I can concede that that's where Cackler can be pretty useful.

See, he's not actually that bad in the right kind of build.

Agreed that you would not want Vexing Devil in this kind of deck.

I'm continually reminded of an article by PSully last year regarding Boros Aggro in Modern. This was pre-DRS ban and pre-Eidolon, so the list would certainly look different now, but I think his article is worth a read for the people following this thread (maybe it's been posted before?):

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/26 ... troit.html

I've read this article countless times and I've been referring to it as I tweak my own RDW list for Modern.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:22 pm

I didn't know Keldon Maruaders can tap for red mana. :rofl: :crazy:

yurp yurp

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:31 pm

Convoke, dawg. You didn't know?!?!

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:36 pm

[deck]
Creatures 24
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Goblin Guide
4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Stormblood Berserker

Burn 16
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Searing Blaze
4 Molten Rain

Land 20
1 Keldon Maruaders
19 Mountain
[/deck]

I think if the deck is going to utilize Molten Rain to its full effect, you really need to land an aggressive presence early. It's pretty devastating to land 2 attackers and set your opponent back a land. That kind of tempo advantage is simply enough to win a game most times. I can concede
that that's where Cackler can be pretty useful.
:smileup:

See, he's not actually that bad in the right kind of build.

Agreed that you would not want Vexing Devil in this kind of deck.

I'm continually reminded of an article by PSully last year regarding Boros Aggro in Modern. This was pre-DRS ban and pre-Eidolon, so the list would certainly look different now, but I think his article is worth a read for the people following this thread (maybe it's been posted before?):

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/26 ... troit.html

I've read this article countless times and I've been referring to it as I tweak my own RDW list for Modern.
Yeah, I've read that article a lot. You can tell by P-Sulli's "tone" in his writing
that he was exasperated with the current Modern environment. I was too. Deathrite was beginning to warp he format and the lack or a real aggro deck besides Affinity was really disappointing. I, myself, was beginning to mess around with RDW builds during this time. I even played around with his deck too.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:50 pm

I didn't know Keldon Maruaders can tap for red mana. :rofl: :crazy:
I don't get it. :ohdear:

edit: I get it. The land is Keldon Megaliths. I guess that's a Freudian slip.
Last edited by Khaospawn on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:46 pm

Look closely at your decklist under "Land".

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:48 pm

Ha! I was making my edit as you posted.

BiddingMaster

Postby BiddingMaster » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:43 pm

[deck]creatures
4 vexing devil
3 grim lavamancer
4 goblin guide
4 eidolon of the great revel

burn spells
3 lava spike
4 skullcrack
2 flames of the bloodhand
4 lightning bolt
2 forked bolt
4 searing blaze
4 rift bolt

artifacts
2 shrine of burning rage

lands
2 keldon megaliths
3 evolving wilds
3 terramorphic expanse
12 zendikar full art mountain :jam:

sideboard
4 molten rain
2 satyr firedancer
1 shattering spree
2 smash to smithereens
2 dismember
2 searing blood
2 pyrite spellbomb

[/deck]

so far ive played the list that was closer to the list that that nick heal played at gp minni and had some success with it but i think this deck is better overall for the online metagame. Sadly I dont have any sweet 4-0 records with this current list like i did the old one but im hoping to get there real soon. So far
if it were not for my horrible sideboarding I think this list would actually be better than the old one and I would have done better. I just kept forgetting to be a burn deck sometimes because it is necessary. I think more than 4 ways to kill a pro red creature is way too many imo. Im happy with the two dismember though im tempted to go to three. or just cut the bombs altogether. Every other card on the list I think is solid and even the crappy budget sac lands are a nice addition. I might cut one megalith but it did win me a game and should have won me two games if I had not derped so bad. Im really liking the second megaltihs :grovel: 4 molten rain are really good because it stops uwr from just killing you and stops scapeshift from just killing you. Its really nice to run them out of counterspells then resolve a rain for like ggs . you might event be able to buy you enough time burn them out of mountains which would be kool but unlikely. I just like dropping them to the point where they cant draw and cast cryptic command which is a big deal.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:33 pm

I'm not going to touch that one.

Return to “Aggro”