[Primer] Boros Burn

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

pikachufan2164
Newcomer
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby pikachufan2164 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:07 am

Game Day report.

[DECK=YP$'s Value Train]
Creature (8)
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Instant (25)
4 Shock
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
1 Stoke the Flames

Enchantment (4)
3 Chained to the Rocks
1 Banishing Light

Land (23)
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Temple of Silence
2 Battlefield Forge
11 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
3 Mizzium Mortars
3 Boros Reckoner
1 Pillar of Light
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Banishing Light
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Keening Apparition
2 Glare of Heresy
[/DECK]
It was a small turnout (8 people), so we had a 3-round tournament. The meta was not super competitive, so I could get away with not having Mutavaults.

Round 1: vs. Naya Hexproof

Yay, randomizer. The good news was that my opponent was not running Gore-Clan Rampager (!), so blocking was slightly more predictable and
their deck was considerably less explosive.

In Game 1, his Madcap Skills + Gladecover Scout attacked into the Young Pyromancer + Boros Charm for indestructable trick. By the time he managed to play a second creature, it was too late for him to recover.

Sideboarding: -4 Shock, -2 Chain, -2 Skullcrack, +1 Banishing Light, +2 Keening, +2 Glare, +3 Reckoner

I added more ways of establishing board presence (Reckoner and Keening), as well as additional ways to remove auras (Banishing Light, Keening, Glare). I knew I had to keep some number of Chains in for the inevitable Fiendslayers; Glare serves double-duty in removing Fiendslayers and all non-Madcap auras.

In Game 2, he boarded in Fiendslayers and managed to get two of them out, but I had the Turn 2 Keening to discourage auras from being played. I built up an army of Elemental tokens in the mean time, and narrowly won on the return attack after he went all in on a Fiendslayer attack.

1-0

Round 2: vs. Dega
Devotion

Weird Athreos + Mogis brew complete with Boros Reckoner, High Priest of Penance, and Brain Maggot, piloted by the saltiest player in the store.

In Game 1, the salt flowed freely as he mulliganed to 5. He gets stuck on 2-3 land for a while and attacks with Brain Maggot as I proceeded to burn his face. Oddly enough, he was also burning my face with Lightning Strikes and Boros Charms as a desperation attack, but to no avail.

Sideboarding: -4 Shock, -4 Boros Charm, -1 Skullcrack, +1 Banishing Light, +1 Chain, +2 Keening, +2 Glare, +1 Pillar, +2 Chandra

I wanted more answers to Desecration Demon, while also introducing answers to gods, Ram, and Whip. I predicted he would board in Obzedat and Blood Baron, so Skullcracks needed to stay in.

In Game 2, He got off to a slow start, while I was stuck on 3 land for a while. He didn't manage to play too many threats,
other than a Reckoner that was removed shortly after it hit the table. I whittled him down with YP, Elemental tokens, and Phoenixes.

Post-match saltfest commenced as he complained that he didn't draw any of his sideboarded cards.

2-0

Round 3: vs. American Control

This match would decide who gets the playmat, so I had to put my tryhard pants on. My opponent played against Burn in Round 2 as well, but the other Burn player had a much more aggressive playstyle (with Ash Zealots in the main and sideboarded playset of Spark Troopers), as opposed to my grindier playstyle.

In Game 1, I was on the draw. He missed his land drop on Turn 3, and it basically sealed his fate. I carefully attacked with Phoenixes while leaving up Skullcrack mana every turn. When he tapped out for Jace, I removed it with a redirected 4-point burn from Boros Charm and a Phoenix hit. Phoenix, YP, and Elemental tokens slowly won as we competed in the "who is better at doing nothing" contest.

nSideboarding: -4 Helix, -1 Stoke, -3 Chain, +1 Banishing Light, +2 Keening, +2 Glare, +2 Chandra, +1 Mortars

I wanted to board out my 4 mana spells and Chains in favour of more catch-all removal (Banishing Light, Glare) and removal for DSpheres and Rams (Keening, Glare). I knew that he was running Stormbreath and AEtherling, but was not sure if there were any other creatures in his sideboard, so Mortars had to come in.

In Game 2, I had a Turn 2 Keening, which proceeded to swing in and provide some early board presence. He eventually casts Stormbreath at a time where I didn't have any answers to it, hits the Monstrosity ability, and then proceeds to beat down while I sit there helplessly.

Sideboarding: -1 Shock, +1 Mortars (In hindsight, I should have removed another Shock to bring Stoke back in, as another safety measure against Stormbreath)

In Game 3, I had a Turn 2 YP, and forced him to 1-for-1 trade Verdict for a lone YP. He taps out for
Stormbreath, but this time, I was ready with a Chandra +1 and Lightning Strike to kill it on my next turn. YP and Phoenix do their thing while I leave up Skullcrack mana each turn.

Oddly enough, I never saw him play a single DSphere or Rev through all three games. He just didn't draw them, I guess. :shrug:

3-0

With three match wins, I won my first Game Day playmat! ^_^
Last edited by pikachufan2164 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:08 am

How are you all determining what will be played at these events? The only thing I can think of is looking at some of the last major events in my area (GP Portland was just here, so I will probably use that).
Looking at past results and asking people from the area what the meta is like.

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:08 am

Didn't get there with burn at the Standard Open but I apparently ran the deck back in the modern event.
http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdata ... ckID=71448
I assume this was a mix-up?

Jamie
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jamie » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:17 am

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdat ... y=Syracuse

2 r/w burns in the top 16. Jets, Bloods, and Chains in mainboard. Firedancer sideboard.
That's about where I'm at right now as well, but I run 4 Stokes and 4 Shocks cutting skullcracks.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:34 am

Didn't get there with burn at the Standard Open but I apparently ran the deck back in the modern event.
I saw that! I was looking at the top 16 lists and I see 1st -17th and a 39th place decklist. Saw it was Standard deck and thought to myself, "Man, that guy had some balls to run that at a Modern event."

Good job, dude. :hifive: :jam:
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:37 pm

Currently testing out some new technology for Rw Burn which I've stolen from dauntless268 so far it seems promising, if it makes it through the grinder it could make for an interesting twist in a way we can tackle all three archetypes at once (without just being better or how my opponents like to say luckier) :yes:

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:57 pm

Ooh, give us a hint?

Rhyno

Postby Rhyno » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:06 pm

I saw that! I was looking at the top 16 lists and I see 1st -17th and a 39th place decklist. Saw it was Standard deck and thought to myself, "Man, that guy had some balls to run that at a Modern event."

Good job, dude. :jam:
Sorry to disappoint but it was just a mix-up. I ran Affinity in Modern and they posted my Decklist from Standard. I got my invite though which is what I was after.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:39 pm

Filthy Affinity.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:38 pm

Currently testing out some new technology for Rw Burn which I've stolen from dauntless268 so far it seems promising, if it makes it through the grinder it could make for an interesting twist in a way we can tackle all three archetypes at once (without just being better or how my opponents like to say luckier) :yes:
Spark Trooper or Wild Richochet?
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:04 pm

Its something different - here is the hint: Its basically a card which can 2-for-1 Small aggro decks, help deal with MoW and DD and has synergy with YP and Stoke the Flame, I'm running 3 of them over CTTR MD (I have chains in the SB) + I'm running 12 4 damage spells :o.

I need to test it more though so it might just be horrible, dauntless268 can reveal or I'll do it after next week more testing :yes:

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:09 pm

Raise the alarm?

Green eats you up but it's a neat surprise against the red, blue, or black decks.

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:42 pm

Hmm... still loses to legion loyalist in the red decks... and I don't think I'd like to see it over a chains vs a desecration demon... but I definitely wanna see how your testing comes out.

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:17 am

The idea is that it's more proactive than a Chained to the Rocks while still serving some of the same functions, albeit not as efficiently.

I am doubtful that 2 1/1's will be strong enough to outperform the sheer efficiency of Chained but I eagerly await MDU's testing results nonetheless.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:47 am

Raise the alarm?

Green eats you up but it's a neat surprise against the red, blue, or black decks.
You got it ;-)

Its basically a card which can 2-for-1 Small aggro decks, help deal with MoW and DD and has synergy with YP and Stoke the Flame, I'm running 3 of them over CTTR MD (I have chains in the SB) + I'm running 12 4 damage spells :o.

Vs green its just another blocker which is always good :smileup:

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:58 am

I was looking for a proactive t2 play as we often don't want or cannot play YP out on that turn. I've had a couple of games where Raise the Alarm into YP into Stoke (for 1 Mana) can put me pretty far ahead so that's nice.

That said, I'm not exactly sure if how good that card is if people see it coming (plus Golgari Charm is a card) and what cards in our MD it should or could replace. I think you want to combine it with Satyr Firedancer in the SB as this shores up those matchups where RTA is potentially worst G1.

Let's just say we try to be a little creative here...
MTGO handle: Clemens268

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:08 am

I can't say I like Satyr Firedancer with Rabble Red in the format, but yes T4 YP into RTA = 0cc Stokes.

- - - - -

I just wanted to mention, if anyone is struggling against diverse meta game I suggest picking up MTGO for some serious practice - while I'll admit my timezone meta game is leaning towards BW and Walkers, I also get control and aggro every now and again as well (this will help you develop your tactics and sequencing based on MUs) :yes:.
@ MDU: TBH, I'd rather have them play Electricity than PE in their Board :-) but it raises the question if and how many BC we should leave in
postboard. What's your opinion?
Rabble Red runs Electricity, while RDW runs PE - I keep 2x Boros Charm vs RDW since Chandra is can be slightly weaker here.

HK1997

Postby HK1997 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:29 pm

I dont know how impressed I am with the whole Mana-denial plan with Peak erruption. Ive even had a Jund Planeswalker deck fire off some weird Ravnica sourcery for RG3 i think? It destroys target land and gives you one from your library onto battlefield. Flooding is more of an issue with me than being screwed. And everytime my opponent tries to screw me with either TS on Magma jet or destroying lands on T3 or T4-5... It doesnt work out well.
We dont very often plan our actions and sequencing with: "ok if he whiffs on land next turn, then Im good." Why should this work any better for any other deck? And getting back a denizen or crackler by killing of a chains is usually just a minor nuicance. This is also why we only kill the first or second mana dork vs green-

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:38 pm

I can't say I like Satyr Firedancer with Rabble Red in the format, but yes T4 YP into RTA = 0cc Stokes.

- - - - -

I just wanted to mention, if anyone is struggling against diverse meta game I suggest picking up MTGO for some serious practice - while I'll admit my timezone meta game is leaning towards BW and Walkers, I also get control and aggro every now and again as well (this will help you develop your tactics and sequencing based on MUs) :yes:.
@ MDU: TBH, I'd rather have them play Electricity than PE
in their Board :-) but it raises the question if and how many BC we should leave in postboard. What's your opinion?
Rabble Red runs Electricity, while RDW runs PE - I keep 2x Boros Charm vs RDW since Chandra is can be slightly weaker here.
Based on a lot of the popular streamers on Twitch this seems to be the norm in the US time zone as well.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:25 pm

@Val: interesting, based on what I heard from board members they seem to never face BW and rarely see Jund Walkers (which strike me a odd as well since they're in the top5 for most finishes).

@Testing: Well I went through four events finish 3-0 three times and dropped 0-1 once (beating BW, Bg, Walkers, Rabble Red, UW Control, R Devo), I'll be hitting the books again starting tomorrow so I won't be able to do any testing again anytime soon.

Here is the list for those interested:

[deck=MDU's Fire Alarm (stolen from dauntless268)]Lands 23
8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Battlefield Forge
3 Mutavault

Creatures 07
3 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Other 03
3 Raise the Alarm

Burns 27
4 Shock
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
4 Warleader Helix
3 Skullcrack
4 Stoke the Flames

Sideboard 15
1 Skullcrack
1 Wear // Tear
1 Deicide
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Glare of Heresy
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Toil // Trouble
3 Chained to the Rocks[/deck]

*[card]Elspeth, Sun's Champion[/card] should be a 3rd Mizzium Mortars but I'm running her because I think its a cute wincon vs Gx Devo, I'll post up a rough guide tomorrow (videos will follow the week after).

EDIT: Put WLH back into the list
Last edited by magicdownunder on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:55 pm

Interesting.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:59 pm

@Val: interesting, based on what I heard from board members they seem to never face BW and rarely see Jund Walkers (which strike me a odd as well since they're in the top5 for most finishes).

@Testing: Well I went through four events finish 3-0 three times and dropped 0-1 once (beating BW, Bg, Walkers, Rabble Red, UW Control, R Devo), I'll be hitting the books again starting tomorrow so I won't be able to do any testing again anytime soon.

Here is the list for those interested:

[deck=MDU's Fire Alarm (stolen from dauntless268)]Lands 23
8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Battlefield Forge
3 Mutavault

Creatures 07
3 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Other 03
3 Raise the Alarm

Burns 27
4 Shock
4 Magma Jet
Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
3 Skullcrack
4 Stoke the Flames

Sideboard 15
1 Skullcrack
1 Wear // Tear
1 Deicide
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Glare of Heresy
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Toil // Trouble
3 Chained to the Rocks[/deck]

*[card]Elspeth, Sun's Champion[/card] should be a 3rd Mizzium Mortars but I'm running her because I think its a cute wincon vs Gx Devo, I'll post up a rough guide tomorrow (videos will follow the week after).
What did you lose to?

mutantcrock
Newcomer

Postby mutantcrock » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:04 pm

Think you are missing helix in your list.

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:44 pm

I don't hate the Elspeth in the sideboard. When theros first came out I was running a midrange burn that md reckoner and stormbreath, had her in the side. It was fun and worked well back then... wonder how it would hold up now though

Sasky
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sasky » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:53 pm

I went 3-0 at a local standard event today (my first time playing m15 standard!). I think this is a really good deck. Being a modern and legacy player, I find standard to be boring and straightforward. I am glad to have found a deck that rewards tight play and planning a few turns ahead. The match I had against Ivan Floch's UW list was super fun.

Definitely running boros burn for WMCQ season.

maxbigbrother
Newcomer

Postby maxbigbrother » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:57 pm

Raise the Alarm is a little confusing for me. I played some games with it and still not sure about them and correct number of them in maindeck.
Meantime i am testing 2 [card]Titan's Strength[/card]. Good when dealing with blocking Caryatyd, Courser or Nyx-Fleece Ram. In most cases [card]Titan's Strength[/card] = Lava Spike+Scry 1

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:00 pm

Titans Str is bad, read the thread to find out why.

yurp yurp

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:14 am

What did you lose to?
Well I lost the roll vs Gr Devo, he goes T1 Elf, T2 BtE into Courser and T3 Garruk - for the second match I was stuck on two lands, both were painlands.
Last Week
Quick update about my videos:

As some may know I recently lost all my data (including 1.5 weeks worth of footage) so all those DEs I ran with HK (4 of them 3-1, 4-0x3 are gone) and my Modern games (it maybe a hidden blessing since I just ran the same list in every MU).

Anyhow since these next three weeks are rather busy I won't be able too play too much magic (though I'll still be
online trying too sell slightly overpriced but convenient boosters) I'll be only running 8-Mans with standard whenever I have time.

Here is the first set running a slightly edited version of William Yowell list

SE Report 7343716
G1 Mirror SE 7343716
G2 Bg Devo vs YOLO SE 7343716
G3 Mirror SE 7343716 <-- DtR Lurker

I didn't run the list for long since I really dislike Eidolon of the Great Revel in this metagame and not running Shock
just feels so very wrong.

Rw Burn SE Report 7347431
G1 Jund Walkers vs Rw Burn SE 7347431
G2 Ensoul Blue vs Rw Burn SE 7347431
G3 BW Midrange vs Rw Burn SE 7347431

Playing:

[deck=MDU's Greedy Rw Burn]Lands 22
2 Battlefield Forge
8 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Temple of Silence

Creatures 08
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Enchantments 04
4 Chained to the Rocks

Burns 26
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
2 Stoke the Flames

Sideboard 15
4 Satyr Firedancer
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Searing Blood
Wear // Tear
1 Banishing Light
1 Pillar of Light [/deck]

The cards which I count as flex are:
4 Firedrinker Satyr
1 Wear // Tear

The deck itself is just being greedy via Scry, with the Dancer + Blood plan in the SB for the annoying G and U heavy online metagame.

(EDITED THE LIST - Cheers Blak)

Standard SE Report 7348004
G1 AiR vs Rw Burn SE 7348004
G2 Jund Walkers vs Rw Burn SE 7348004
G3 BW Control vs Rw Burn SE 7348004

You shouldn't be having any issues with Jund Walkers if you identify them (just play online you face them at least once every event) - I even fought a version with 4x RR

The thing is - Jund Walkers run so many dead cards against us that its rather realistic too burn over the top esp. if your topping 4 damage spells (which is likely if your running 10-12 of them).

[deck=MDU's Greedy Rw Burn]Lands 22
2 Battlefield Forge
8 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Temple of Silence

Creatures 08
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Enchantments 04
4 Chained to the Rocks

Burns 26
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
2 Stoke the Flames

Sideboard 15
4 Satyr Firedancer
3 Toil // Trouble
3 Searing Blood
1 Temple of Malice
1 Glare of Heresy
1 Wear // Tear
1 Banishing Light
1 Pillar of Light[/deck]

Metagame shifted back into small aggro so I shifted my SB back into spells (so I don't get blown out via Drown or maybe Anger) - I picked Temple of
Malice over Mutavault because the draws can get rather awkward postboard when I take on the control role so knowing my options really helps (also provide protection from PE :D).

Standard SE Report 7355357
G1 GW vs Rw Burn Standard SE 7355357
G2 Rabble Red vs Rw Burn Standard SE 7355357
G3 Rabble Red vs Rw Burn Standard SE 7355357

Tomorrow videos with be G1 Naya token (he rages :rofl:), G2 BW Control and G3 BW Control (I finally drop a
round in this MU so I got to test my YOLO plan).

Standard SE Report 7357755
G1 Naya Tokens vs Rw Burn Standard SE 7357755
G2 BW Control vs Rw Burn Standard SE 7357755
G3 BW Control vs Rw Burn Standard SE 7357755

Small update
1) Currently ranked No.13 in the player of the year race (yaaay :crazy:) I believe my ceiling would be rank no.5 though I'll most likely drop back
down toward top30 again once things pickup :p.

2) I built a more tradition burn deck (23 lands and no dancer) which will be used in next weeks videos - the first set may be a nice watch for some because G1 was Jund Walker and G2 was Planar Cleansing UW control
Last Time
[deck=MDU's Rw Burn]Lands 23
2 Battlefield Forge
8 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
1 Temple of Silence
1 Temple of Malice

Creatures 08
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Enchantments 04
4 Chained to the Rocks

Burns 25
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
3 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix
2 Stoke the Flames

Sideboard 15
3 Toil // Trouble
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Flames of the Firebrand
1 Glare of Heresy
1 Wear // Tear
1 Skullcrack
1 Banishing Light
1 Pillar of Light [/deck]

[card]Flames
of the Firebrand[/card] is my nod at small aggro and bx devo, 1x Skullcrack in my SB is a nod at the diverse metagame - everything else is standard.

Standard Report SE 7364271
G1 Jund Walkers vs Rw Burn Standard SE 7364271
G2 UW Control vs Rw Burn Standard SE 7364271
G3 Green Devo vs Rw Burn Standard SE 7364271 <--- 4x [card]Nylea's Disciple[/card], 1x Time to Feed and 2x Courser of Kruphix later...

This week videos will have lots of Jund Walkers and BW (as per usual), 2x UW Planer control and 1 or 2 aggro decks (which is a nice change from all the aggro decks last week ) - I'll also up upping some modern videos as well running Levy's LD deck.
Standard SE Report 7364839
G1 BW Control vs Rw Burn Standard SE 7364839
G2 Jund Walkers vs Rw Burn Standard SE 7364839
G3 BW Control vs Rw Burn Standard SE 7364839

Notes:
New players or those who don't get too sink in much hours should play Sperlings deck, you minimize your decision tree and can focus mainly on playing a good game of magic (this is excellent for learning sequencing)

Experienced players or those who know every
single T1 deck (not that many and hasn't changed much in months) should play with Magma Jet and extra Scry Lands, this will allow you to sculpt better hands based on your game-state and meta knowledge (it can also get you killed if you sculpt poor choices so its a double edge blade).

Raise the Alarm is still just a lightly tested experiment I'm not recommending it yet - I do however enjoy 2-for-1'ing Small Aggro, Ambushing MoW, Tapping down DD and the synergy with YP and Stoke the Flame (T4 you can play both Alarm and Stoke EoT, if you have YP its even better).

BW Control, Walkers, B Devo, U Devo, R and Control are big game online come join our online so come join our online clan and play against the best :yes:

Jamie
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jamie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:04 am

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=7978&d=245922&f=ST

This certainly can't be where we want to be? Reprisal over Pillar of Light, StormbreathDragon over MizziumMortars.
I don't see how this deck beats monoUdevotion or BW postboard

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:40 am

The dancers murder monoblue, and our game is already strong vs BW, all he really needs is the blight, 2x reprisal and maybe Chandra.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:42 am

The dancers murder monoblue, and our game is already strong vs BW, all he really needs is the blight, 2x reprisal and maybe Chandra.
I agree dancer murders Ux devo but do you really believe BW is a good MU?

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:05 am

I haven't lost to it in a while, so maybe I feel a little too confident against it... but I don't think its our worst matchup at all.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:58 pm

I don't find it to be bad with the Sperling list. You have a lot of ways to ruin their day. My favorite was double Searing Blooding a BBoV. Felt good man.

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:15 pm

oh man this reddit thread.... http://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments ... _for_wmcq/ ... that guy is back... I'm not the only one who remembers him I hope

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:07 pm

"UW control is actually one of my best match ups"

Yep, he's full of shit.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Sasky
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sasky » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:03 am

I have found U/W control to be a really decent matchup with sperling's list. You just need to run circles around their counterspells and sphinx rev and the matchup is very winnable. I haven't lost any rounds to it, but my testing sample is small. I can foresee more difficulties with the magma jet/chained to the rocks lists.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:11 am

"UW control is actually one of my best match ups" Yep, he's full of shit.
Not defending the guy or anything since I agree that UW Control will never be the "best" matchups without ruining many other matchups, but why is it that in the past when people like Zem and many others in the forums rated control as even or favorable (without running dedicated SB cards mine you) no one batted an eye-lid (this was the period when control was much more diverse in its threats (making SB'ing really hard) because the Jund decks were not huge yet so they had more walkers, more counters and more cards which effected our gameplan).

Nowadays most controls decks are running the Planar route because its better at dealing with walkers and all
the annoying underworld connections, this version runs less counters, less walkers and more cards which don't really matter to us... the SB is also more universal and predictable but even with all this somehow the MU went from even and favorable into HORRIBLE and UNWINNABLE :sweat:.

Can someone explain why this happen?

Edit: Typo
Last edited by magicdownunder on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:33 am

"UW control is actually one of my best match ups" Yep, he's full of shit.
Not defending the guy or anything since I agree that UW Control will never be the "best" matchups without ruining many other matchups, but why is it that in the past when people like Zem and many others in the forums rated control as even or favorable (without running dedicated SB cards mine you) no one batted an eye-lid (this was the period when control was much more diverse in its threats (making SB'ing really hard) because the Jund decks were not huge yet so they had more walkers, more
counters and more cards which effected out gameplan).

Nowadays most controls decks are running the Planar route because its better at dealing with walkers and all the annoying underworld connections, this version runs less counters, less walkers and more cards which don't really matter to us... the SB is also more universal and predictable but even with all this somehow the MU went from even and favorable into HORRIBLE and UNWINNABLE :sweat:.

Can someone explain why this happen?
I honestly have no idea. Extremely tight play makes the matchup very winnable.

That said, you are oftentimes walking a fine line where a small slip-up can cost you the game. 90% of the matches I lose to UW are to a small mistake which gives them an opening to Rev for a million.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:44 am

I feel that I am somewhat favored against the Planar Cleansing list but the underdog against the "Last Breath, Az Charm, DSphere, Jace, screw you" version.
DCI Rules Advisor
MTGO/Cockatrice: BlakLanner
My YouTube Channel
BlakLanner is the boogeyman created to scare the little Standard players.
Currently Playing
Standard: [mana]RWU[/mana]Jeskai
Modern: [mana]RWG[/mana]Burn, [mana]GRWUR[/mana]Slivers
Legacy: [mana]R[/mana]Burn
EDH: [mana]RWGUB[/mana]Sliver Overlord, [mana]UW[/mana]Geist of Saint Traft (Tiny Leaders)
Current decklists are posted here

Rhyno

Postby Rhyno » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:58 am

oh man this reddit thread.... http://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments ... _for_wmcq/ ... that guy is back... I'm not the only one who remembers him I hope
"I don't care what you say about YP. It doesn't DO anything relevant in the format."
:munch:

Also I'm getting reamed by Jund Walkers. Between Duress and Magma Spray as early interaction, I can never keep up with their walkers.

Return to “Archives”