Temur Knuckle-Rabble

Discussions about the Standard format

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Temur Knuckle-Rabble

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:50 am

After attempting to develop some sort of Mardu Deck I decided to drop it. While the Butcher looked like a beast I felt I was being trapped to build a highly synergistic deck if when it either was disrupted or the pieces never came together it fell apart. I knew I wanted to play Stormbreath and Rabblemaster but was having trouble even putting together a red list that could beat the green menace (caryatid/courser). After I saw Savage Knuckleblade I was all in on Temur. Creature wise the cards are exactly what I want out of the deck: powerful and impactful.

[deck]Creatures 25
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Rattleclaw Mystic
3 Heir of the Wilds
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Savage Knuckleblade
3 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Stormbreath Dragon

Instants & Sorceries 9
4 Stoke the Flames
3 Temur Charm
2 Magma Jet

Planeswalkers 2
2 Sarkhan, The Dragonspeaker

Lands 24
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Yavimaya Coast
n2 Shivan Reef
2 Mana Confluence
2 Frontier Bivouac
5 Forest
3 Mountain
[/deck]

The deck is aggressive which explains the lack of Courser/Caryatid. Heir of the Wilds so far has been a house and I am trying to fit the fourth one in. Magma Jet was set at 3 initially and was used only for small aggro decks. Ended up going down to 2 and adding in a 3rd Temur Charm because of how useful it has been in playtesting so far. Elvish Mystic into Rabblemaster has been pretty ridiculous with everyone I've played against sighing in disgust.

Looking for any suggestions and changes.

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:03 pm

Temur Charm seems a bit underpowered in this kind of list

not sure what I'd replace it with though

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Don't think you need Rabblemaster, it has been underperforming in my testing
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:33 pm

^^ i loled

yurp yurp

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:57 pm

Well he's a lightning rod because he takes over games by himself which is exactly why you SHOULD play him

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:03 pm

Temur Charm seems a bit underpowered in this kind of list

not sure what I'd replace it with though
Do you think the modes are irrelevant or that the list can't maximize any of them?
Don't think you need Rabblemaster, it has been underperforming in my testing
What has he not been able to do for you? Is he not pushing enough damage through?

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:06 pm

Charm is basically the worst possible card when you're behind.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:10 pm

I also like craters claws over magma jet.

Patrick chapin

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:14 pm

I also like craters claws over magma jet.
Temur charm has been giving me mixed results but I think you hit it right on the money about it. Going to keep testing it. Magma Jet, while my friend who is a heavy midrange player says to keep it in for small aggro, I feel I never want to see it in any of my match ups because beyond small aggro it kills nothing relevant. Going to give Crater Claw a whirl.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:35 pm

I don't care that Rabble is a lightning rod, it just lines up horribly against every creature being played

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:48 pm

I had different results. For one, having multiple usually generates a large chunk of damage plus either a mana even our positive exchange.

That and turn two rabble is a beating. I've yet to fully explore him in this shell though. I can actually see fall of the hammer or setessan tactics being great, especially with heir of the wild. Tactics is a bigger blowout, but hammer can be used with an attacking rabblemaster.

Patrick chapin

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:55 pm

I haven't touched this list, but I'm not loving all the creatures in it. That's as far as my commentary can go without shuffling up.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:57 pm

I had different results. For one, having multiple usually generates a large chunk of damage plus either a mana even our positive exchange.

That and turn two rabble is a beating. I've yet to fully explore him in this shell though. I can actually see fall of the hammer or setessan tactics being great, especially with heir of the wild. Tactics is a bigger blowout, but hammer can be used with an attacking rabblemaster.
Temur Charm was always mode one when I had to use it can try either Setessan Tactics or Gall of the Hammer in its place. While S-Tactics can be a beating I'm leaning on Fall of the Hammer for instant speed and not losing a guy to fight. FoH with Heir allows you to kill one and keep blocking.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:58 pm

I haven't touched this list, but I'm not loving all the creatures in it. That's as far as my commentary can go without shuffling up.
I'm assuming you would rather go into caryatid/courser into Temur Monster route or would you just do something different in the colors?

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:59 pm

I have done a lot of work with Rabble against the predicted decks of the brave new world and have not been impressed. Does so much better following red aggro creatures that require answers ie Rabble Red, where after the opponent stabilizes you drop a Rabble and they are out of resources. In these new decks it is just a two toughness creature coming down early in the curve and not lining up well against the gold creatures.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:02 am

I've (briefly) tested a gr version of this to middling results, but it was like five games.

Replace knuckles with fanatic of xenagos, adding two Boon satyrs, and plaswts of all the creatures.

Patrick chapin

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:02 am

I'm assuming you would rather go into caryatid/courser into Temur Monster route or would you just do something different in the colors?
Honestly I am not sure. RUG is in a weird place. I think you need an overdose of huge creatures to make up for your lack of ability to kill your opponents creatures with spells like Junk, BUG or MBA can do, all having access to black. You need to win in combat. Knuckleblade helps. I
think the 6/6 flash guy for 5 would be fine for his stats alone, not so much the counterspell protection.

It also seems bad to have access to all the best planeswalkers and not be playing them (Xenagos and Nissa)

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:02 am

The appeal of RUG seems to be tied up in being able to play counterspells postboard. Like, having a big dude on board and a defiant stroke in hand is pretty effing good.

Patrick chapin

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:17 am

Honestly I am not sure. RUG is in a weird place. I think you need an overdose of huge creatures to make up for your
lack of ability to kill your opponents creatures with spells like Junk, BUG or MBA can do, all having access to black. You need to win in combat. Knuckleblade helps. I think the 6/6 flash guy for 5 would be fine for his stats alone, not so much the counterspell protection.

It also seems bad to have access to all the best planeswalkers and not be playing them (Xenagos and Nissa)
Sarkhan might fit better in a Temur shell just for the flexibility then. He can be a 4 power beater that triggers ferocious on your turn or kill a 4 toughness creature.

I'm kind of liking the idea of a Caryatid/Courser deck backed up by some combination of Sarkhan/Nissa/Xenagos/Kiora/Jace. The walkers could double as threats and answers to what your opponent is doing based on the match up. Could probably use some knuckleblades and a khan to round things out.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:24 pm

Sarkhan might fit better in a Temur shell just for the flexibility then. He can be a 4 power beater that triggers ferocious on your turn or kill a 4 toughness creature.

I'm kind of liking the idea of a Caryatid/Courser deck backed up by some combination of Sarkhan/Nissa/Xenagos/Kiora/Jace. The walkers could double as threats and answers to what your opponent is doing based on the match up. Could probably use some knuckleblades and a khan to round things out.
Going to possibly try out Kiora and Xenagos. I'm staying away from the Caryatid/Courser team up not because I think they are bad. They are VERY good. It is just I want to play something aggressive and don't feel that neither of those do that for me.

Jace I am not sure he fits with my current list. His plus one can filter but drops things into the graveyard which I am not utilizing. His -3 is solid
though.

If I were to go the Caryatid/Courser route I would also go a bit bigger either topping off at Sagu Mauler or Khan Dragonclaw with a mixture of Sarkhan, Xenagos and Kiora for walker support.

amcfvieira

Postby amcfvieira » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:32 am

Temur deck post by Tomoharo Saito in Twitter:

Looks nice.
Legacy: IZZET DELVER ; BURN
Modern: TEMPO TWINS ; UR STORM ; BURN
Standard: Work in Progress

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:52 pm

Kind of surprised by the lack of Walkers in this deck. Other then that it is a solid Monsters build.

amcfvieira

Postby amcfvieira » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:17 pm

:love2: One mana counter spells :jam:
Legacy: IZZET DELVER ; BURN
Modern: TEMPO TWINS ; UR STORM ; BURN
Standard: Work in Progress

Return to “Mountain (Standard)”