[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:03 am

Happy B-Day, LP

Man, GP Orlando was a fucking blast. Once I figured out a system to go infinite in the win-a-boxes, it's been nothing but profit. I made a lot of money and won a ton LOT of cards and played soooo many games of Magic. I also waded through stenches of the foulest odors, battled my way through waves of scrumps, and saw some sights I that I wish I could forget. Other than that last part, 10/10, would scrump again.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:03 am

Also, I took a piss next to Tom Ross. It was every bit of weird as that sounded.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:19 am

Hey Khaos, what are your thoughts on the Les Paul vs. the SG vs. the Telecaster? I think it's high time I upgrade my gear, and those are probably my top 3 choices.
Sig by NBW.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:19 am

Local So-Cal player in the finals.

And his name is (dong)Hwang.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:24 am

Also, I took a piss next to Tom Ross. It was every bit of weird as that sounded.
Did you touch his penis? I would have.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:35 am

And Eugene takes it. I think his store has 4/5 GP top 8s this year.

*Colbert voice* In a world where you Mardu or Mardon't, Hwang MarDID.

Patrick chapin

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:42 am

Hey Khaos, what are your thoughts on the Les Paul vs. the SG vs. the Telecaster? I think it's high time I upgrade my gear, and those are probably my top 3 choices.
I'm a Les Paul guy, so that's my pick. It can do everything.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:44 am

No, but I'm convinced the guy is really a robot. This guy was just everywhere I was going and it was kind of weird. Like, I'd go out and smoke, look around, and there's Tom fucking Ross. And when I'd see him, he'd look at me. Or through me. Or whatever way robots view people.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:52 am

Good to hear. The last bit was actually what made me interested in the Tele/Strat XD
I scoped out a $450 Japanese Tele, a $500 2013 '70s-style LP, and a $500 2013 Faded SG, putting the LP at the best discount as well. I like the rosewood fretboard a lot better than the maple one on the Tele (I guess I'm just not used to any kind of finish on the fretboard), but the LP is notably heavier, which I'll either learn to deal with or be mildly annoyed by every time I play. My big hesitation with the Tele is that the dude set the action super high, which I don't like, so I don't know if I'll really love the feel after I'd have it set up (which is more $).
Sig by NBW.

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:58 am

No, but I'm convinced the guy is really a robot. This guy was just everywhere I was going and it was kind of weird. Like, I'd go out and smoke, look around, and there's Tom fucking Ross. And when I'd see him, he'd look at me. Or through me. Or whatever way robots view people.
Tom Ross wants you inside him. :unibrow:

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:02 am

Good to hear. The last bit was actually what made me interested in the Tele/Strat XD
I scoped out a $450 Japanese Tele, a $500 2013 '70s-style LP, and a $500 2013 Faded SG, putting the LP at the best discount as well. I like the rosewood fretboard a lot better than the maple one on the Tele (I guess I'm just not used to any kind of finish on the fretboard), but the LP is notably heavier, which I'll either learn to deal with or be mildly annoyed by every time I play. My big hesitation with the Tele is that the dude set the action super high, which I don't like, so I don't know if I'll really love the feel after I'd have it set up (which is more $).
Ultimately it all comes down to the music you want to make

Les Pauls have a really thick tone and are perfect for blues, metal, and thick rhythms. I've always felt that when overdriven, the tone gets creamier and cuts through the mix better.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:05 am

Also, the tone of an LP is derived from it being so heavy - a lot of thick wood

Giggity

Fact : when Les Paul designed it, it was known as "the Log" because it was one of the first solid bodies

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:16 am

Giggity

Fact : when Les Paul designed it, it was known as "the Log" because it was one of the first solid bodies
This LP is all heavy thick wood.

Patrick chapin

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:21 am

Happy B-Day, LP

Man, GP Orlando was a fucking blast. Once I figured out a system to go infinite in the win-a-boxes, it's been nothing but profit. I made a lot of money and won a ton LOT of cards and played soooo many games of Magic. I also waded through stenches of the foulest odors, battled my way through waves of scrumps, and saw some sights I that I wish I could forget. Other than that last part, 10/10, would scrump again.
Can you talk a little more about how you've gone infinite in win a box tournaments? I basically win my way into whatever deck I've got so figuring out how to win more cards outside of the occasional win a box tournament here and FNMs.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:22 am

Giggity

This LP is all heavy thick wood.
:unibrow:
Sig by NBW.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:24 am

If you're at an SCG or CFB sponsored event. Apparently it's possible to get sponsored into a win-a-box.

Patrick chapin

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:59 am

Les Pauls have a really thick tone and are perfect for blues, metal, and thick rhythms. I've always felt that when overdriven, the tone gets creamier and cuts through the mix better.
That's another thing. I'm really not sure where I want to go with my playing. I don't think I'd want to play anything more metal than Maiden (which a Strat could probably handle), but I'd kinda like to go from full-on heavy gain (like Arctic Monkeys) to a little bit of overdrive (like Rise Against), but still not sound entirely soulless/thin when played clean (like my Ibanez does.)
Sig by NBW.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:17 am

That's another thing. I'm really not sure where I want to go with my playing. I don't think I'd want to play anything more metal than Maiden (which a Strat could probably handle), but I'd kinda like to go from full-on heavy gain (like Arctic Monkeys) to a little bit of overdrive (like Rise Against), but still not sound entirely soulless/thin when played clean (like my Ibanez does.)
Les Paul sounds as good as any to start with for that. Maiden style metal (low gain, if you can believe that. it's all about volume and pick attack for that heavy tone) and anywhere in between is perfect. I'm now starting to think this will be your best choice. :)

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:26 am

I bought a Strat, a Les Paul, and a Martin D45. Never going to need another guitar again :hug:

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:34 am

Happy B-Day, LP

Can you talk a little more about how you've gone infinite in win a box tournaments? I basically win my way into whatever deck I've got so figuring out how to win more cards outside of the occasional win a box tournament here and FNMs.
I doubt this will work anywhere else, but this was how I did it.

After paying $50 to enter the main event and going 3-3 drop ( :scrump: :scrump: :scrump:) in the main event, I sold my playmat and 2 pins (the Timetwister and Teetering Peaks from the Friday night Modern challenge where I also got 6 packs for my 2-2 finish) for $40 bucks to a vendor ($20 for the mat, $10 per pin). I then sold my rares from Modern challenge and Main Event to SCG for good cash.

I had a free voucher to play in a Win-a-Box side event. And this is where I found the system. My buddy in the Main Event dropped when he opened 3 fetches and refused to pass them, so he went into the side events. After winning 2 boxes, he discovered that all of the BEST rares in Khans are at the top of the box.

The trick is to win at least 2 round in the side events. When you get to the 3rd round, you offer to split. You opponent will almost always do that because $15 (the price to enter) is a good price to pay for 18 packs (half a box). Sometimes you may have to play to determine a "true winner," and in this case if you do "win", you will get the Command Tower pin which you sell for $10. If that happens, you're only down $5, but you have 18 packs.

Now here's the trick: You open the box. Actually what you do is take the box, open the plastic real fast (with a knife, preferably), open the top, and turn it upside down on the table and then raise the box up. You should have all 36 packs on the table still in the stacks like they were from in the box, just upside down. Now skim the top 18 packs from that and give it to your opponent. Essentially, you have given your opponent the "bottom" of the box while you have the "top."

Take the packs and walk away. You do not want to be around the guy when he opens the pack. He'll just whine that you got all the goods and he didn't.

Proceed to open 3-5 mythics and 2-3 fetches. Plus other value rares.

I shit you not, this works in Khans.

Now take what you don't want and sell it all to SCG. Prices are rising throughout the event and the stores are selling out.

By this time, you're ahead by a lot. Now lather, rinse, repeat.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:37 am

My best pack of the day was a Bloodstained Mire with a foil one behind it. I also pulled a playset of Sarkhans and Wingmate Rocs throughout the weekend. XD

I'm really embarrassed to tell you guys how much money I made over the weekend just playing win-a-boxes.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:43 am

Good for you, Khaos. Seriously. You deserve some good fortune to go your way.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:44 am

I feel dirty, but it was all legit. Actually, this was all reminiscent of my poker playing days.

I wasn't breaking the rules, but I found my edge.

Winning ain't always pretty.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:46 am

Weirdly enough, out of all the boxes and packs my friend and I opened, we did not pull any Mantis Riders or Siege Rhinos. We had to buy those at the end of the day today.

Guess those are all at the bottom of the boxes. :shrug:

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:49 am

Also, doing this does not work well when pairing with a partner since you do run the risk of getting paired up and/or getting blown out in Round 1. After this happened twice and I was force to split 18 packs with my friend (9/9 split), we decided to split up. Since he was very proficient with Ross Merriam's G/b Devotion deck in Standard, he proceeded to do a ton of work in the Standard win-a-boxes while I went into the Modern field with Burn.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:52 am

It wasn't. I literally just played Magic all weekend with hundreds of people. Actually, the main event was at over 2,000 people with many, many more there in events because they didn't sign up in time.

I just played 2-3 rounds of Magic, collected packs or a box and went back in for another 3 round tourney. After a few hours, I sold a bunch of cards, ate some food, and then went back into the grinder.

It;s not work when you enjoy doing it.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:02 am

So it's effectively bootleg box mapping? That makes sense and I will note this for GP LA if I go x/scrump drop.

Patrick chapin

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:04 am

What's bootleg box mapping?

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:08 am

Box mapping has to do with patterns in print runs and if you can collect enough data, you can know the exact contents of each packs in each box you open.

Googling Box mapping gives the specifics, but I saw a thread on sally about it once and it's why I never buy loose packs.

Patrick chapin

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:09 am

Gotcha.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:12 am

Box mapping has to do with patterns in print runs and if you can collect enough data, you can know the exact contents of each packs in each box you open.

Googling Box mapping gives the specifics, but I saw a thread on sally about it once and it's why I never buy loose packs.
They do this for various other collectible hobbies. Blind box vinyl toy collectors use this info in order to try and obtain rare or variant toys.

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:20 am

The box mapping thing feels like stealing, but then so does manipulating the stock market. You're exploiting a lack of knowledge. If other people were knowledgeable about box mapping, they wouldn't allow you to do it. Again, that's why it feels like a con.

It's not stealing if they give you their wallet, right?

Meh. I don't care about the issue enough.
Fuck you and the green you ramped in on. - My EDH battle cry. If I had one.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:22 am

I have a problem with box mapping if you do it, then sell the dry packs.

What khaos is doing is fine though since it's more of an exploit based on intuition then a con.

Patrick chapin

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:28 am

Honestly, it doesn't feel like I did anything wrong. Since my opponent and I agreed to split, I could take any half of the box I wanted and there were no qualms about the packs I took and the way I did it. Just when they opened crap and I got all the goods.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:37 am

You're a shark kid and I like that

Patrick chapin

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:37 am

It's eat or be eaten out there.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:38 am

giggity?

Patrick chapin

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:46 am

You're a shark. Now herd this flock of sheep.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:21 am

The hot tub's hot, the wine coolers are cool... it's hammer time!
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Jamie
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jamie » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:26 am

Its overpriced cardboard. WotC are robbing you with their skinner box game. Anything to even the game out in terms of money is ok in my book.

Return to “Fires of Salvation”