(POST ROTATION) JESKAI BURN

Aggressive variant decks that have top 8'd a relevant event within the past 8 weeks.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby BlakLanner » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:33 pm

Took down Game Day after making a few changes by taking down Sultai Dredge, Temur Devotion/Monsters, Izzet Artifacts, and Abzan Midrange/Planeswalkers.

[deck]Raka Counterburn[/deck]

Rabblemasters ran over both the Dredge and Temur decks. I just put them out there and killed or countered whatever they cast. Deflecting Palm was huge against Artifacts, bouncing back a Shrapnel Blast and a triple Ghostfire Blade equipped Juggernaut. Abzan stumbled a little bit and died to Rider + Rabblemaster while I used my burn to take out his Sorin and Rhinos. A Stormbreath post-Elspeth also sealed one game.

As far as good hands go. 3 lands (or 2 with a Temple/Jet), a creature, and other interaction are generally best. I keep most hands that are 2-4 lands and spells as long as I think the hand will do something. Color screw can be a problem and is probably the deck's greatest weakness. What does your land configuration look like?
DCI Rules Advisor
MTGO/Cockatrice: BlakLanner
My YouTube Channel
BlakLanner is the boogeyman created to scare the little Standard players.
Currently Playing
Standard: [mana]RWU[/mana]Jeskai
Modern: [mana]RWG[/mana]Burn, [mana]GRWUR[/mana]Slivers
Legacy: [mana]R[/mana]Burn
EDH: [mana]RWGUB[/mana]Sliver Overlord, [mana]UW[/mana]Geist of Saint Traft (Tiny Leaders)
Current decklists are posted here

Jojja
Newcomer

Postby Jojja » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:41 pm

Some of the best opening hands I have had has been 4-5 lands(2 temples if 5) and just anything really. Counterspells, cmc2 burn or a creature. The only things I dislike in my openers are Dig, Stoke or a cmc5 card like sarkan or stormbreath.

Jedi_Knight

Postby Jedi_Knight » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:58 am

Fuck. Did not play Burn last season, time to play it now. Currently watching r16 of PT and just fucking love what this deck does. And even though I am czech I sure as hell am not rooting for the douchebag that made it (probably) to top 8. I want Watanabe to win. Just because he looks like he was ran over by a bulldozer. Gryffon is a meta call, great against abzan decks, but how the fuck can I root for a team that's named "Cabin Crew"? That's like liking "Gambrinus PVP Team" guild in WoW. no fucking way.

Off the Mardu train. Haven't got the pleasure to use Lightning Angel so now is my time to run his better version, because flying over is just the way to do it. (better because 3 mana >>>>>>>>> 4 mana right now).

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:48 am

Rwcrapsy and me straight killed at the SCG Open.

We both had rough starts, me at 1-1 and him at 1-2 but didnt let that stop us.

I finished 8-2 and he finished up 7-3 losing in the final round.

Tournament report for me soon to follow.

Ran Straskys list.
Burn baby burn!

Jamie
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jamie » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:26 am

When do you board in Keranos?

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:15 pm

So here is my report for the SCG Open.

About 450-500 people, 10 rounds of Swiss. Went 8-2 for 18th place and got $100 which is better than nothing.

Ran this list

[deck]
4 Mystic Monastery
3 Mountain
3 Flooded Strand
3 Temple of Triumph
3 Battlefield Forge
3 Shivan Reef
2 Island
2 Temple of Epiphany
1 Plains

17 CREATURES
4 Seeker of the Way
4 Hushwing Gryff
4 Mantis Rider
3 Ashcloud Phoenix
2 Stormbreath Dragon

4 Stoke the Flames
4 Lightning Strike
4 Jeskai Charm
4 Magma Jet
3 Banishing Light

SIDEBOARD
3 Disdainful Stroke
1 Anger of the Gods
3 Magma Spray
1 Gainsay
3 Prognostic Sphinx
3 Suspension Field
1 Dig Through Time
[/deck]

Round 1 - WIN vs UWR control- pretty easy and dragons too good.

Round 2 - LOSS vs G/b Devotion- Dude went on to top8(Stephan Jack) but I would have lost to any deck. I kept 2 land( 1 scry) and Magma Jet on the draw. Scryed all non-land to bottom(saw 6 total cards), missed 3rd land drop STILL and got ran over. Game 2 I had the opposite and scryed FOUR lands to bottom in my first 5 turns and still hit my first 7 lands drops. Think I cast 3 cards across both games.

Sucked balls getting a loss early but I battled back.

Round 3 - WIN vs Mirror Pretty easy win , finished both games over 12 life.

Round 4 - WIN vs Junk Midrange Just as expected, this version of the deck rapes junk. Wasnt really close either game as I ended both above 20.

Round 5 - WIN vs Junk Constalation Bwhaha Gyrff is pretty good against these decks lol. Though I fucked up and thought I could respond to his Doomwake off See the Unwritten but you cant....still won luckily.

Round 6 WIN vs Junk Midrange This one was a little closer, at least in game two , put him to 3 EOT and had to draw a burn spell and...lightning stike off the top!!

Round 7 LOSS vs Mirror Played a friend and ended up losing after I was way ahead becuase I had 2 riders and he got a second dragon I couldnt remove and only drew 2 burn spells the entire game. Game 2 I was stalled on 3 lands while he had 7 and lost all tempo. Oh and I got Deflecting Palmed twice.

Bye bye top8....time to get my money back.

Round 8 WIN vs Junk Midrange Yet another Junk deck...4-0 on the day I believe but this one was a lot closer and as I ended both games with myself at 5 life.

Round 9 WIN vs RUG Monsters Not very close..ended above 20 both games.

Round 10 WIN vs Mardu Aggro Mardu acendency and Butcher is legit and made for a lot of putting it on top of his library but he was taking 3 damage a turn off pain lands which made it pretty easy. Running 8 pain and 4 mana confluence waas just what I wanted to see.

Final Thoughts
So it wasnt the top8 I had been dreaming of, but considering I started 1-1 I am pretty happy with winning 7 of my next 8. Also going 4-0 vs Junk decks made me pretty happy.

Thoughts on the deck : Ashcloud wasnt really as good as I thought.... I usually didnt want to tapout turn 4 and idk he was just kinda meh...

Gyrff was fine, didnt really miss Rabble as I raped Junk all day. Phoenix was no part of that though.

I think 1 Phoenix may be fine but 3 felt way too much. I would rather have Dig or possibly Disdainful Stroke.

I sideboarded Stroke a ton but saw it once all day lol.
Burn baby burn!

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:01 pm

No card draw in your list huh?

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:16 pm

It was basically Strasky's list. I wanted to be as proactive as possible to beat Junk, which I did win all 4 rounds I played it.
Burn baby burn!

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:42 pm

That's a strong finish regardless. Congrats!
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Jedi
Newcomer

Postby Jedi » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:50 pm

It was basically Strasky's list. I wanted to be as proactive as possible to beat Junk, which I did win all 4 rounds I played it.
Grats on your finish first off! Strasky mentioned that Erase was a card they forgot about. What are your thoughts? Does it deserve a slot in the SB?

BiddingMaster

Postby BiddingMaster » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:56 pm

well it turns out that everyone was right about mindswipe and deflecting palm. I put them all aside for game day and came away with a 4-1 finish and a 4-0 finish in two events. I did not play rabblemaster and instead ran hushwyngs/ashclouds with mainboard nullify ad i needed sideboard supression fields which i did not have. So far im realy liking the jeskai skies list that lsv posted on channelfireball and I think its the best list really. Im going to be playing a list very simillar to it except im not going for brimaz's and instead im going for chandra/keranos but thats really the major changes id make to the list.

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:29 am

I took down my sunday gameday as well, ran a last minute jeskai list tuned up from yesterday where I got destroyed. Went with 4 rabbles, 2 gryff. Rabble is just too strong - it always eats removal and leaves a token behind if you're smart about playing it, just like YP always did. And just like YP, if it goes unchecked it steals the game. Definitely keeping 4 in my lists going forward.

Whole

Postby Whole » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:05 am

has anyone tried the builds with Nullify?
excerpt from my t8 profile:

IrishJimDegriz
Newcomer

Postby IrishJimDegriz » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:02 am

Hey, gyus! I'm relatively new here - I was only lurking in read-only mode for a while. I split in finals a gameday here in Minsk using Nullifies and Hushwings in mainboard.

[deck]
Creatures (16)
4 Seeker of the Way
4 Mantis Rider
4 Hushwing Gryff
2 Ashcloud Phoenix
2 Stormbreath Dragon

Non-creature spells (20)
4 Lightning Strike
3 Magma Jet
3 Nullify
4 Jeskai Charm
3 Stoke the Flames
2 Dig Through Time
1 Banishing Light

Lands (24)
4 Mystic Monastery
3 Temple of Triumph
4 Temple of Epiphany
2 Battlefield Forge
4 Shivan Reef
2 Flooded Strand
2 Plains
2 Island
1 Mountain
Sideboard (15)
2 Magma Spray
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Disdainful Stroke
2 Pillar of Light
2 Suspension Field
2 Negate
1 Erase
1 End Hostilities
1 Nullify
[/deck]

I made 3-1-1 with this list in Swiss, beating Mardu midrange (2-0), RW homebrew (2-0) and Rabble Red (2-1), lost to UB control (1-2) and drawn with Abzan Midrange. In top8 I beat Jeskai Aggro (2-0) (with mainboard Hushwing, Keranos and Gods Willing), Mardu Midrange (2-1) and split with UB control. Got a playmat and some packs.

Speaking of card choices, Nullify was a liability in a control matchup since it could counter only Prognostic Sphinx, but versus rest of the field it was huge - countering Siege Rhinos and Brimaz, King of Oreskos all day long. I didn't ran Goblin Rabblemaster in 75 since I got crushed at FNM two days earlier by three monsters decks in a row. In this matchup Rabblemaster was pretty lackluster.
I plan to add second End Hostilities to the sideboard, probably in place of Suspension Field.

Jamie
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jamie » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:26 am

took LP's list to a really small 5k scg IQ in Chicago. Only about 110 people showed. I hit money but played poorly. There was a lot of green devotion on the field. Lost to ascendency combo and green devotion. Won against green devotion, 2 mirrors, GR monsters, and some awful temur aggro deck with coarsers. Never hit an abzan player but there were quite a few.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:50 pm

also cashed SCG Worcester (barely) with Jeskai. Will post list and quick report later.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:00 pm

Starcity Open Series: Worcester report.

I finished the day in 63rd place at 7-3, which brought with it a $50 prize ($10 more than entry). Ten rounds, and there were actually more people than DPaine thought - about 570ish according to the judge I asked.

Here's the list I entered. It was based on Yuuya Watanabe's Pro Tour list but with Gryff instead of Brimaz and Dig instead of God's Willing.
[deck]
Creatures - 17
4 Seeker of the Way
4 Mantis Rider
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
3 Hushwing Gryff
2 Stormbreath Dragon

Instants - 18
2 Dig Through Time
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Jeskai Charm

Planeswalkers - 1
1 Chandra, Pyromaster

Land - 24
4 Mystic Monastery
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Battlefield Forge
3 Shivan Reef
3 Flooded Strand
3 Mountain
2 Plains
2 Island

Sideboard - 15
2 Magma Spray
2 Erase
2 Glare of Heresy
3 Disdainful Stroke
1 Gainsay
2 Banishing Light
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Prognostic Sphinx
[/deck]

I went in thinking that I wanted a plan against the mirror and some game against Abzan. I ignored the aggro matchups because I thought our MD generally matched up well. As you'll see from 2 of the losses, that isn't necessarily true. I'll post another list at the end that I think I may switch to.

Round 1: UB Vault Control: 2-0 Win
I think in 2 games I saw a total of 4 cards from him. Downfall, Vault, Thoughtseize, and Jorubai Murk Lurker. I like the idea of that card, but I think it's far too slow. As is the rest of the deck, to be honest. I know it's a slow format with all the tap lands and control usually thrives in those types of formats, but the card draw isn't great, nor is the lifegain, and 2cmc removal is lacking. I've played against this deck with RW Burn, Mardu Burn, and Jeskai and have gotten the same results each time.

SB: -2 Magma Jet, +1 Gainsay, +1 Chandra

1-0 on tournament

Round 2: Abzan Midrange. 1-2 loss against Lloyd Kurth
That name may sound familiar if you watch a lot of the SCG streams, particularly legacy. He's decent and gets featured a fair amount. I got absolutely annihilated in this matchup. That 1 game win isn't even real either. He got a game loss for mis-registering his deck. So we went straight to game 2 where I didn't know what he was on, we didn't board, and my 7 was too reactionary, which is bad against a deck that matches up really well against your spells. Game 3 I mulliganed to 5 and had to keep monastery, monastery, temple, basic, banishing light. I figured the mana was perfect, I had 1 piece of interaction, and it was likely better than any 4 I could have gotten. Led with the scry to dig for action but he buried me with his good draw. I also misplayed and cast a Stoke the Flames on his courser while he had Charm mana up.

SB: -4 Jet, -4 Rabblemaster, -1 Chandra, +3 Stroke, +2 Glare, +2 Erase (probably a mistake), +2 Banishing Light

1-1 on tournament

Round 3: Mono Red Boss Style. 1-2 Loss
I had sat across from him during the player meeting and he let me know what he was playing, so I had the benefit of information for the mulligan in game 1 but kept a 7 that had lands, creatures, spells. Seemed reasonable. He had the nuts, though, and I couldn't stabilize in time. Almost turned the corner but he had the burn.

Board for game 2: -2 Dig, +2 Magma Spray. Won game 2, though he got me down to 8. Was fairly back and forth.

Board for game 3: Realized I should also take out the Dragons since I didn't want to tap out for them at 5. Too slow. So brought in the 2 Banishing Light in their place. I don't remember the details of this game but the pad of paper has me going 20, 18, 17, 9, 8, dead and him at 19. So yeah.

1-2 on tournament. At this point I'm very tempted to drop and hope to spike Modern side events with UR Delver but I decided to stay until my 3rd loss. The 3rd loss came in round 10.

Round 4: Mono Red Boss Style (again). 2-1 Win
This kid pissed me off right from the start. I think I had to tell him twice to stop looking at my cards when he was shuffling them. He also asked me which "version" of Jeskai I was on and what changes I had made after I played a few cards. I would have shrugged that off as casual chatter if it weren't for the obvious peeking at cards while shuffling. He beat me game 1 very convincingly. My notepad has me going 20, 19, 15, 6, dead and he stayed at 20. But I was mad.

Board for game 2: -2 Dig, -2 Dragon, +2 B-Light, +2 Magma Spray. I didn't make changes for game 3. Both games I kept removal heavy hands, controlled the board, and turned the corner when the time came. Very typical for burn vs. aggro matchups.

This was the beginning of my 6 round win streak, and I attribute it to him getting me upset. Apparently I play better angry.

2-2 on the day

Round 5: Jund. 2-0 Win
Caryatid, Courser, Stormbreath, Deathdealer, Garruk, Thoughtseize, Downfall, and some burn. Seems like a collection of decent cards. But flyers are too strong and Stoke is a clean answer to Dragon. You're even trading up on mana without convoking.

SB: -4 Magma Jet, -1 Rabblemaster, +3 Disdainful Stroke, +2 Banishing Light

3-2 on the day

Round 6: Sultai Control: Win 2-1
This was a close matchup. The guy told me he had beaten 2 other Jeskai decks on the day and liked the matchup. Well, game 1 he died with me at 25 life :shrug:

Board: -2 Rabblemaster, -4 Magma Jet, +1 Gainsay, +3 Disdainful Stroke, +2 Banishing Light. Game 2 he out powered me with multiple Nylea's Disciple and a Prognostic Sphinx. It was a very close game, a lot of good back and forth.

Game 3 I kept the same board plan. This was also a very close game. It ended with him representing lethal, me hellbent, and him at 3 life. He passed the turn and I topdecked the Stoke the Flames after not drawing action for a few turns. There were 2 times he was about to stabilize where Banishing Light saved my bacon - once with Courser and another with the 1-of Bow of Nylea. After the match I realized I had misplayed earlier, though, and could have dealt an additional 3 to him. So I'm glad it wasn't a punt.

4-2 on the day.

Round 7: Green Devotion: Win 2-0
I don't have many notes on this matchup. Game 1 I beat him while I was at 20 life and game 2 he died with me at 22, though I dipped to 19 at one point (probably a painland activation). My board plan was: +2 Banishing Light, +3 Disdainful Stroke, -1 Dig, -2 Jet, -1 Rabblemaster, -1 Chandra. I wasn't quite sure how to board so I just hedged in a few areas.

5-2 on the day

Round 8: Jeskai Ascendancy: Win 2-0.
I was surprised my opponent's deck had made it this long at x-2. He was running some infinite life combo with Oreskos Sun Guide, using Retraction Helix to tap it, similar to its use in the more popular version. Maybe I got lucky he didn't land any Coursers, but I burned out every creature he played and beat down with Mantis Rider and Seeker. I did land an Erase on Ascendancy in game 2.

SB: -2 Dragon, -2 Dig, -1 Chandra, +2 Erase, +2 Magma Spray, +1 Glare of Heresy

6-2 on the day.

Round 9: Mirror Match. 2-1 Win
My opponent (Anthony) is a very good local player and I groaned a little when I saw him sit down across from me. I knew I had an uphill battle based purely on quality of opponent. He took game 1 in VERY convincing fashion, too, furthering my belief that he was simply better than me.

SB: -2 Seeker, -1 Magma Jet, -4 Rabblemaster, -3 Hushwing Gryff, +3 Disdainful Stroke, +2 Prognostic Sphinx, +2 Banishing Light, +1 Gainsay, +2 Glare of Heresy

Game 2 was over quickly. We were both missing a color but while I was missing blue he was missing red, so my Seeker went the distance. I got blue in time to burn him out with Charms.

Game 3 was fairly protracted but he mulliganed to 6 and Prognostic Sphinx took over the game.

7-2 on the day. Since my 2 losses came in rounds 2 and 3, though, I couldn't draw into top 32 (prizes were top 8 prizes, then 9-32, and 33-64 and I knew I had no shot at top 8). The standings confirmed that I was 40th place heading into round 10.

Round 10: Mono White Tokens: 1-2 Loss.
Ugh. WTF IS THIS DECK?!? That's pretty much all I was thinking throughout this matchup. Apparently the list was on the Pro Tour a bit but I didn't notice it and didn't do an ounce of prep work, even if just theory, for it. I think I had to read Launch the Fleet like 3 times. He was running somewhere between 2 and 4 Mana Confluence but I don't know what for - all I saw were white cards. I guess the PT list is U/W?

He was on the play and he won games 1 and 3. I basically won game 2 on the back of 6 Mana Confluence activations.

SB: -2 Dragon, -2 Dig, -1 Chandra, -1 Stoke. +2 Glare, +2 Banishing Light, +2 Magma Spray. In retrospect, Chandra is better in the matchup than Jeskai Charm but I actually got good use out of Charm's first mode because I could reset counters from Heroic and tempo him a bit with putting Brimaz on top.

7-3 on the day. 63rd place, just barely winning $50.

I'm proud of the way I battled back and rattled off 6 wins in a row, though I'm sure a few of those were against poor opponents/decks since I was in the X-2 bracket very early. I'm still a little sore after the round 10 loss because I don't know where that list came from. DPaine told me it was a pretty rough matchup for us because they spam so many dudes that it overloads our spells. It certainly played out that way.

I hadn't played a single game with the deck prior to the tournament, though I played with similar RW and Mardu Burn lists. I think I was undervaluing Dig (boarded it out a lot, even though it helps you find your actual sb pieces) and overvaluing Jeskai Charm (kept it in more than I should have, even though it doesn't impact the board enough). I also think flyers are insanely valuable in this Standard.

I'd like to try something along these lines:
[deck]
Creatuers - 16
4 Seeker of the Way
4 Hushwing Gryff
4 Mantis Rider
2 Ashcloud Phoenix
2 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells - 19
2 Dig Through Time
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Jeskai Charm
1 Dissolve (or Negate)

Planeswalkers - 1
1 Chandra, Pyromaster

Land - 24
3 Flooded Strand
4 Mystic Monastery
3 Shivan Reef
3 Battlefield Forge
2 Mountain
2 Plains
2 Island
3 Temple of Triumph
2 Temple of Enlightenment

Sideboard - 15
2 Magma Spray
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Banishing Light
1 Suspension Field
1 Erase
2 Prognostic Sphinx
1 Negate
3 Disdainful Stroke
1 Glare of Heresy
[/deck]

If GP LA's Top 8 is to be believed, mono red aggro will be everywhere so that fact plus 2 of my above losses makes not having Anger in the board a big mistake. Also Negate is probably just better than Gainsay, though it can't hit an opposing Sphinx. That's what Stroke and MD DIssolve are for, though, so I keep the same number of answers and gain a better counterspell in the board.
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Jamie
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jamie » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:36 pm

Yeah playtesting the vs ascendency combo matchup has me believing I'm just awful and its a 7-3 matchup in our favor.

Kyarie
Newcomer

Postby Kyarie » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:46 am

Rcwraspy, sounds like your round ten was against the Yoshihiko Ikawa list.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/pro ... klists-a-n

It is a Wr that goes wide and tall thanks to token makers, phalanx leader and obelisk of urd.

I played it at gameday winning once to Jeskai and losing once to Jeskai (which bumped me off in the quarterfinals). It did get me through a Mardu Midrange, Abzan Midrange and Green Devotion though but the Big Green was tough.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:16 am

Yep thats the deck he played against, Tokens are extremely good against Jeskai and Nate didnt draw any B-Light for the Obelisk of Urd
Burn baby burn!

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:27 am

Yep that's the one. Glad to know launch and obelisk are both 4-of. Seemed like he always had them.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:42 am

Since Mono Red has been on a sharp upswing, I think I am going to cut my Ride Downs :( In their place, I will add a third Anger and a Chandra.

This is where I currently am at. I would really like to find room for 2 Erase to fight Courser, Weapons, and Ascendency but I don't think I have enough room.

[deck]Raka Counterburn[/deck]
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing
EDH: [mana]RWGUB[/mana]Sliver Overlord, [mana]UW[/mana]Geist of Saint Traft (Tiny Leaders)

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:17 am

This is what I ran out to win gameday #2, taking a few notes from dpaine and stratsky. Beat green devotion, 1 abzan midrange, one abzan control, 3 mirrors, and lost to one of the abzan once during swiss.

Deck felt tight, my only loss came against abzan when I kept a shaky hand with only 1 land after a mull and hit both my digs and sbd off my first few draws instead of lands. The other game in that match I pretty much got stuck on 2/3 painlands and killed myself casting charms and strikes while he rhino'd me. Once I get my full set of flooded strands I'm hoping I can cut back on the painlands so that wont be as much of a problem. Hopefully.

[deck]Creatures 16
4 Seeker of the Way
4 Mantis Rider
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
2 Hushwing Gryff
2 Stormbreath Dragon

Instants 18
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Jeskai Charm
4 Stoke the Flames
2 Dig through Time

Enchantments 2
2 Banishing Light

Lands 24

1 Flooded Strand
1 Plains
2 Mountain
2 Island
2 Temple of Epiphany
3 Temple of Triumph
3 Shivan Reef
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Mystic Monastery

Sideboard 15

2 Prognostic Sphinx
2 Negate
2 Disdainful Stroke
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Suspension Field
2 End Hostilities
3 Magma Spray
[/deck]

I still think my sideboard needs work - I pretty much never really wanted to bring in the end hostilities, so I might find something else for that slot, not sure what though.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:25 am

Don't keep 1 landers bro....this is not the deck for that.
Burn baby burn!

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:31 am

^ I feel uneasy when I keep two land hands if I don't have a scry effect. Our mana base is often our biggest weakness.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:59 am

It was 5 cards though, would you really go to 4?

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:26 am

Depends on the 5. In the right circumstances, I'd keep a 0-lander on five.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:42 pm

at 1 land 5 I guess you keep but the way you phrased it made it sound like it was a mull to 6.

"when I kept a shaky hand with only 1 land after a mull "
Burn baby burn!

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Yeah I accidentally left out "double" mull

:shrug:

I think it was a temple of epiphany with a magma jet, so I just kinda snap kept that 5.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:53 pm

i'd keep that
Burn baby burn!

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:45 pm

Yup

Patrick chapin

nme

Postby nme » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:05 am

Question: should we be sideboarding out Magma Jets? I've always felt that they were needed to setup draws and dig for relevant spells, but I notice people side them out. Stoke the Flames is usually the first card I side out if I'm bringing in removal or counters.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:08 am

When I'm boarding out burn, it's usually jet if there's nothing relevant it kills, then trimming a combination of stokes/charms for curve considerations. Rabblemasters also get boarded out a fair amount of the time on the draw. Seekers get the axe against decks with lots of walls where I'm boarding out jets.

Patrick chapin

DXI-Edge

Postby DXI-Edge » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:59 am

I think that Lightning strike should be the first burn spell to be cut in all honesty. Card selection is a big deal and unless lighting strike kills something that magma jet doesn't (fleecemane lion being one) then I would cut strike over jet.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:31 am

My current deck:

[deck]
Creatures (12)
4 Seeker of the Way
4 Mantis Rider
4 Hushwing Gryff

Spells (24)
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
3 Nullify
4 Jeskai Charm
4 Stoke the Flames
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
3 Dig Through Time

Lands (24)
4 Shivan Reef
4 Battlefield Forge
3 Temple of Epiphany
3 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Mystic Monastery
2 Flooded Strand
3 Island
1 Plains

Sideboard (15)
2 Erase
3 Magma Spray
1 Glare of Heresy
1 Reprisal
2 Disdainful Stroke
2 Negate
1 Gainsay
1 Nullify
2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
[/deck]

I had a lot of fun last week with my Brimaz/Rabblemaster build, going 5-1 for the night, but I like experimenting and this seems pretty good against the field in general.

Jojja
Newcomer

Postby Jojja » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:32 am

Sadly I',m missing out on GP Stockholm this weekend. But this is the deck I have been tweaking for the expected meta of Abzan, MGD, Jeksi and aggro. It's been doing really well in testing. I tend to go very controlling against any of the green decks and it's been really good to me so far and the extra land has really helped the deck with hitting it's mana while still being more then able to play a turn 2 seeker or hold open mana for counters against Abzan decks turns 3-4.

The 3 Stoke the Flames is a concession to losing Rabblemaster, and as a result I found myself paying retail for my stokes most games. And that was not a spot I wanted to be in. I'd still not sure if it is correct to play Nullify in this deck, I'm debating if a swap for 2 Banishing Light might be better. But since there are more and more Wingmate Roc, a card that Jeskai just can win against if it resolves with raid, I'm still holding on to the Nullify.

Any thoughts on the Nullify issue or the SB?

[deck]
Creatures (16)

4 Seeker of the Way
4 Mantis Rider
3 Hushwing Gryff
3 Ashcloud Phoenix
2 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells (19)

4 Lightning Strike
2 Nullify
2 Magma Jet
2 Disdainful Stroke
4 Jeskai Charm
3 Stoke the Flames
2 Dig Through Time

Lands (25)

3 Shivan Reef
3 Battlefield Forge
3 Temple of Epiphany
1 Temple of Triumph
4 Mystic Monastery
4 Flooded Strand
2 Island
2 Plains
1 Mountain

Sideboard (15)

2 Erase
2 Magma Spray
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Suspension Field
1 End Hostilities
3 Dissolve
2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos[/deck]

/Johan

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:49 pm

I think that Lightning strike should be the first burn spell to be cut in all honesty. Card selection is a big deal and unless lighting strike kills something that magma jet doesn't (fleecemane lion being one) then I would cut strike over jet.
Mantis Rider?

Magma Jet is usually the first cut. It's bad vs control and Abzan midrange.

locozildjiangodx
Newcomer

Postby locozildjiangodx » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:02 pm

Mantis Rider?

Magma Jet is usually the first cut. It's bad vs control and Abzan midrange.
This post makes some decent arguments for magma jet: http://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments ... notes_and/

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:22 pm

I don't think his arguments are decent at all, but some of that is because he's playing a list without Nullify.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:28 pm

Sadly I',m missing out on GP Stockholm this weekend. But this is the deck I have been tweaking for the expected meta of Abzan, MGD, Jeksi and aggro. It's been doing really well in testing. I tend to go very controlling against any of the green decks and it's been really good to me so far and the extra land has really helped the deck with hitting it's mana while still being more then able to play a turn 2 seeker or hold open mana for counters against Abzan decks turns 3-4.

The 3 Stoke the Flames is a concession to losing Rabblemaster, and as a result I found myself paying retail for my stokes most games. And that was not a spot I wanted to be in. I'd still not sure if it is correct to play Nullify in this deck, I'm debating if a swap for 2 Banishing Light might be better. But since there are more and more Wingmate Roc, a card that Jeskai just can win against if it resolves with raid, I'm still holding on to the Nullify.

Any thoughts on the Nullify issue or the SB?

[deck]
Creatures (16)

4 Seeker of the Way
4 Mantis Rider
3 Hushwing Gryff
3 Ashcloud Phoenix
2 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells (19)

4 Lightning Strike
2 Nullify
2 Magma Jet
2 Disdainful Stroke
4 Jeskai Charm
3 Stoke the Flames
2 Dig Through Time

Lands (25)

3 Shivan Reef
3 Battlefield Forge
3 Temple of Epiphany
1 Temple of Triumph
4 Mystic Monastery
4 Flooded Strand
2 Island
2 Plains
1 Mountain

Sideboard (15)

2 Erase
2 Magma Spray
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Suspension Field
1 End Hostilities
3 Dissolve
2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos[/deck]

/Johan
I think if you're playing a list with Gryff you're doing yourself a disservice by not playing Nullify. It promotes a more draw-go strategy which is excellent at combating Abzan (and every other deck in the meta for that matter). In fact I'd try to find room for the third.

Return to “Aggressive Variants”