[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby zemanjaski » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:17 am

It's time to bring back Shackles plus Moaning Well.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:06 am

Yeah
PWs and Keranos and counters, cutting most of the burn. It's a very terrible SB strategy IMHO; you mostly want to stick what what you're already doing.
Going agressive is obviously an option. Which walker do you want to see resolved against you the least?

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:49 am

Nissa.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:50 am

IE: Sarkhan, Chandra and Elspeth are good cards but beatable.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:56 pm

Looking at all the lists out there, I really miss having access to Ash Zealot. Being able to attack into a Courser or even a Rhino with burn and live would be huge, and she'd be disgusting with Swiftspear on board.

Oh well.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:24 pm

You could play get in Modern. I've seen some PTQ winning lists with her as anti Senior Chang tech.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:22 pm

Maverick:

I understand that frustration. The truth about pickups is they mostly sound the same across the type (single coil, humbucker, piezo, etc) but they try to differentiate themselves with extra features like magnet type, coil winding (an overwound coil will sound different when turned up and put into an overdriven amp), or special post-processing stuff.

A single coil sounds very different from a humbucker, but two single coils will sound very similar to each other, and two humbuckers still sound very similar.

There's no real performance spec that you can compare because sound is so subjective. Listening to someone describe Brian May's tone as "brown" is extremely unhelpful, but a description of his guitar, his pickups, amp and effects chain will get you close to recreating that sound.

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:07 pm

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:56 pm

How many watts is your amp? Sometimes you don't get the full spectrum of an amp's tone until it's been cranked really loud or for awhile (if it's a tube amp). Oranges have a nice Brit-stack tone to it, much like a Marshall, and again, much like a Marshall, sound better when it's pushed hard.
My amp can switch between 30w/15w/7w. I play at 30w (in a very small room, I'll probably go deaf).
You say that you have a Les Paul, and I must say, I find that to be the perfect guitar for just about anything. I think it just boils down to your pickups. P-90's are single coil and passive, which are really great for clean and slightly dirty tones, but they feel underpowered when trying to channel high-gain sounds like NOFX, early Offspring, Blink 182, and early Green Day (Though to be fair, Billie Joe does favor a Les Paul equipped with P-90's, and you can hear it a lot on some Green Day's late 90's and early 2000's work, which is decidedly less heavy). My favorite pickups to use are EMG pickups - they're active humbuckers and are perfect for any high-gain music styles.
I really do enjoy my guitar. I decided to learn how to play almost solely because I enjoyed playing Rock Band/Guitar Hero games back when those were still a thing, but I was frustrated that they didn't have one of my favorite bands (Alkaline Trio). I ended up getting a Les Paul because that's what their guitarist uses (or at least used for all of their older stuff, which is mostly what I wanted to play). I'm pretty satisfied with the tones I get for Alkaline Trio, but it's only when I tried to play more "poppy" stuff does it not sound quite right.
Lastly, what are the condition of your strings? Dead strings affect your tone in the worst ways. Also, certain strings can have a brighter tone than others, especially when they're new.
Right now they're horrible. I'm really lazy with strings. But even when new/freshly broken in, the sound isn't quite where I'd like to get it. That's probably one reason why I m so lazy in the first place. I use Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10 - 46 strings.
I can pretty much relate to where your search is going. When I first learned how to play guitar at 16, I got a job just to buy a guitar and an amp, which I did. However, I brought home a pawn shop special - a Strat-style (as in,single-coil equipped) knock-off made by Washburn (a respectable brand) and I lucked into getting a Fender Twin Chorus amp. Though I was too young to truly appreciate the tone of the setup, I did know that it was all wrong for what I was trying to achieve; I wanted that scooped midrange, high gain sound that Metallica used on their first 3 albums. Metallica was the entire reason I was teaching myself the guitar, yet I couldn't sound like them. I came pretty close by tweaking the shit out of the amp's EQ, but it wasn't enough. SOMETHING just wasn't there.

There's a silver lining to everything. Despite my inability to discover the tone I wanted, I began to look around at stomp boxes. In fact, I probably spent over a decade thinking I could get my holy grail tone from a chain of stomp boxes. The downside to this is the noise factor. It's almost like going to the dark side; once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. What I mean is that once I was adding distortion pedals and flangers, the single-coil pickups were just overloaded and the feedback was horrendous. This made me buy a noise gate, and then once I did that, feeling all clever, I bought a second amp that I could split the signal into. All of this wasn't enough, and eventually I discovered humbuckers, how to actually use my tone and volume knobs correctly, and lastly, the true power of amp volume along with solid-state VS tube amps.

Had I not gone to one extreme looking for what I wanted to sound like, I never would've gone to the minimalist rig that I use today. It's almost like soul searching, but like you and ham have said, you can't describe a sound's color to somebody that hasn't heard it. It's like trying to explain colors to a blind man. In order for me to really find a sound that is ME, I had to play through a variety of things and setups to know what I wanted. Knowing what I know now, I can't believe at how much money I spent on pedals and things I never really needed. They're not called "toys" for nothing.

I guess the main point of all of this is to maybe keep you from blowing a bunch of money on things you'll never really use. But at the same time, I do encourage you to try a lot of new things. Maybe just spend a few hours at different music stores/Guitar Centers trying new stuff out. This has actually helped me out a lot, since I'm very much an impulsive buyer of, well, almost anything. If you try out a guitar/amp/stompbox and you're still not thinking about it like crazy a few days later, it's probably not the right one. However, if it's still on your mind and it's all you can think about playing/hearing, then you may have found a winner.

Now back to your amp. I use a Jet City Amplication head that's only 20 watts. I love it because it sounds like my dream amp, an early 1980's Marshall JCM 800. However, the JCA 20h is mine at a huge fraction of the cost, and the wattage is actually where I want it to be since it's low enough to be played in my apartment, yet it can be cranked almost to maximum at a local bar gig and I can still find its "hotzone," when the tubes get nice and hot (which give the best tone), and can fill the room. My practice amp, on the other hand, is just a little solid-state 10 watt Marshall. That's it. But that little 10 watt amp sounds great at about half volume and my guitar's volume knob rolled back a little bit. It fills the room perfectly. How does this relate to your amp? Well, if you're trying to fill your bedroom with a sound, you have to match the room. Or to better put it, play to the room. I'm willing to bet that all you may need to do is use the 7 watts and raise the volume up. If that's not enough, try the 15.

It also sounds like you have a tube amp. Volume and how hot your tubes are impact your tone A LOT. At low volume, my 20-watt JCA sounds brittle. The distortion isn't where I want it to be either. At that point, I'll run my overdrive through it to raise the gain. However, when the volume is at about a 3 or 4, then the sweet colors start poppin' and the distortion gets creamier. Anything louder after that and I don't even need my overdrive pedal. The longer I play on it, the hotter the tubes get, and as a result, the distortion gets raunchier. I love it. In fact, I actually prefer to let my amp warm up for a half an hour before I play. I usually use that time to drink a beer, get my axe in tune, and pick a practice playlist or something. The hotter and louder you tube amp is, the better.

As for strings, I also use Ernie Ball .10s-.46s, but I use the Colbat covered Slinkies. They last for a good long while, but they do sound pretty bright at first. I usually play on them for about 10-15 minutes to stretch them out before hooking up to amp and, by this point, some of the newness has worn off. They take awhile to "go dead" too. They are, however, about double the price. My advice? Just experiment around by different brands. I used to be a diehard D'Addario fan until I discovered the Cobalt Slinky strings about a year ago. I just had to try to different things.

Anyways, I didn't mean to get a little too long-winded. But I hope some of this helps.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:06 pm

:thumbsup: big fan of the 10 gauge slinkies, they feel soft enough to play for hours without breaking all the damn time.

I went through my "I'm the second coming of SRV!" phase where I played 12 gauges but mostly just chewed up my fingertips.

:stupid: :V

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:08 pm

:thumbsup: big fan of the 10 gauge slinkies, they feel soft enough to play for hours without breaking all the damn time.

I went through my "I'm the second coming of SRV!" phase where I played 12 gauges but mostly just chewed up my fingertips.

HAHA! I did too. It's like fucking playing on ship-towing cables.

Still, dat tone doe.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:09 pm

When I used to down tune a lot, I used a custom set that Zakk Wylde briefly put out. I think the E string was at a fucking .70. It felt like a bass string.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:11 pm

I'm actually probably trying out a les Paul over the weekend. It's about half of msrp and only a year old, so I want to make sure everything is alright with it. I'm pretty sure it's not fake, and the only visible blemish is a little belt rash on one side, but I'm still a little wary of what looks like a really good deal that nobody's jumped on in over 2 months.
Sig by NBW.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:13 pm

Hope it all checks out, yo. And it sounds good.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:14 pm

I played an acoustic for 2 years before touching an electric guitar. The difference in string gauge was staggering.

I also tired out some super slinkies for a few months. It was crazy how easy bends were.
Sig by NBW.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:19 pm

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/4647701676.html

That's the listing for the guitar. Nothing about it looks like funny business, right?
Sig by NBW.

Dechs Kaison
Tire Aficionado

Postby Dechs Kaison » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:21 pm

You mean, aside from the craigslist part of the url?
Fuck you and the green you ramped in on. - My EDH battle cry. If I had one.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:25 pm

HAHA! I did too. It's like fucking playing on ship-towing cables.

Still, dat tone doe.
Lulz, you'll sound like a god for as long as your hand isn't cramping.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:50 pm

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/4647701676.html

That's the listing for the guitar. Nothing about it looks like funny business, right?
Bring a small practice amp with you. I'd play the hell out of that thing before considering buying it. Treat it like you would a car.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:20 pm

The Les Paul Standard that I bought had a pair of overwound metal pickups installed and a 6th non-matching tuner. It was easy enough to fix, but know that buying used gear is always more risky unless you're a tinkerer and intend to strip and rebuild the guitar anyway.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:21 pm

I bought my Strat NIB and it's never given me a problem, plays like a dream and still has that sweet hard shell case smell when I take it out.

:love2:

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:25 pm

My LP was 950 back in the 90s. Not exactly a steal, but it's very hard to find left-handed models of popular guitars, so I overpaid a little just to have a guaranteed solid guitar.

Once I find an amber tigerstripe PRS Custom 22/24 my search will be complete.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:41 pm

I'd love to own a Dime Razorback. Or maybe just a Flying V (again).

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:14 pm

Flying V
Something something, Mighty Ducks, something something, Vagina's.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:42 pm

I was playing my Boros Fliers against some green-based 4-color deck, had him at 1 life to my 17, and the fucker Villianous Wealth'ed me for 27! Holy Schmoley!!

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:56 pm

Found out I'm playing a 5k tomorrow. Have to decided between Abzan midrange and G/b devotion.

Probably going abzan cause LOL siege rhino.

Patrick chapin

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:55 am

Personally if I expect more Abzan than Jeskai I would just go G/B Devotion.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:08 am

Played Modern Jund with 3 Rabblemaster. Love that card.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:29 am

Seems underpowered in a UR Delver world
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:17 am

Seems underpowered in a UR Delver world
No Delver tonight but I agree. Still forcing that bitch anyway.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:17 am

Looks like Jared Boettcher is next on the ban list. I'm sure this pleases Kait greatly.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:00 am

I'm willing to bet that all you may need to do is use the 7 watts and raise the volume up. If that's not enough, try the 15.
I tried this tonight and it sounded a bit better. I think I'm still interested in a new guitar, though, maybe even just for the experience.

Like you said with something just being on your mind, I've been looking at the Classic Player Jaguar Special for a few days now. Maybe I'll try to see if my local Guitar Center has one and check it out in person.
Fuck, that's a sexy looking guitar.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:01 am

Looks like Jared Boettcher is next on the ban list. I'm sure this pleases Kait greatly.
Boettcher was cleared already yesterday, to my knowledge.

Blackhound
prinny dood!

Postby Blackhound » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:34 am

I need a deck for GP Madrit and GP Milan that are going to be in modern format.

My Green Devotion cant be played, as Jeskai Ascendancy, UR Delver and RCruise Burn destroys my best matchups (Midrange Green decks, such as Jund, Junk, Pod etc.). While burn isnt bad, I dont think I can delve (punt intended) into such a field.

From my observations looks like Delver is somewhat soft to Lingering Souls, while Ascendancy should be usually cold to abrupt decay, thoughtseize and inquisition. Are my thoughts correct?

I also noticed most decks are starting to splash blue for treasure cruise... Willy Edel posted Junk featuring Cruise. Should I look into White/Black/blue/x?
I made a green devotion thread with a decklist without seeing yours first, like to take a look at it.

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:43 am

Officially done with Green Devotion. I've never gotten such awful draws in six rounds three events in a row. The deck is suppose to have amazing top decks, but it's just not working out for me.

I'm going to stick with Abzan aggro, but that new Japanese Scissors deck popping up in Japan looks fun.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:32 am

Link?

I'm also taking my hat out of the green devotion ring. Misplayed way too many times in playtesting. The sequencing is easy, it's the hard games playing around removal which was pretty gay.

Likely just gonna Yolo some Jeskai burn with even MORE counterspells.

Patrick chapin

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:33 am

Also, heard that the tech at the GP was dictate of the twin gods+deflecting palm. Nice two card combo that deals a ton of damage if you assemble it. Might play that at Monday night magic or something.

Patrick chapin

Jamie
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jamie » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:15 pm

Hopping off jeskai burn since there's no events around me until mid November. Hit money with the deck at least so I have some results now. I have a few ideas with straight r/w burn I'm going to try out to see if I can make it actually work against optimized t1 decks. Once events start hitting me again I'll hop onto whatever not-green deck that's really strong.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:45 pm

nothing ever pleases me
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:02 pm

Link?

[deck]Lands
8 Island
4 Flooded Strand
4 Polluted Delta
4 Darksteel Citadel

Creatures
4 Ornithopter
4 Hypnotic Siren
2 Omenspeaker
4 Illusory Angel
4 Master of Waves

4 Springleaf Drum
4 Ensoul Artifact
1 Briber’s Purse
4 Stubborn Denial
1 Force Away
4 Taigam’s Scheming
4 Treasure Cruise

SIDEBOARD
2 Thassa, God of the Sea
2 Triton Tactics
3 Negate
4 Disdainful Stroke
2 Curse of the Swine
2 Bident of Thassa[/deck]

2nd Place
Name:Oohashi Toshiya
Deck Name: En soul Blue
[deck]4 Polluted Delta
4 Flooded Strand
4 Darksteel Citadel
8 Island
4 Ornithopter
4 Hypnotic Siren
2 Omenspeaker
4 Illusory Angel
4 Master of Waves
4 Ensoul Artifact
4 Springleaf Drum
2 Briber’s Purse
4 Stubborn Denial
4 Taigam’s Scheming
4 Treasure Cruise

SIDEBOARD
4 Disdainful Stroke
3 Negate
2 Triton Tactics
2 Thassa, God of the Sea
2 Bident of Thassa
2 Curse of the Swine[/deck]

[deck]4 Ornithopter
1 Soul of New Phyrexia
3 Scuttling Doom Engine
4 Phyrexian Revoker
4 Daring Thief
4 Chief Engineer
3 Hypnotic Siren

4 Springleaf Drum
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Ghostfire Blade
2 Bident of Thassa

3 Singing Bell Strike
4 Ensoul Artifact

12 Island
3 Tomb of the Spirit Dragon
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

3 Staff of the Mind Magus
3 Tormod's Crypt
1 Singing Bell Strike
2 Triton Tactics
1 Dissolve
2 Gainsay
2 Negate
[/deck]

These are three that had topped some events. I'm a fan of the second one.

Return to “Fires of Salvation”