[VS] DGM Cards

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

lorddax
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

[VS] DGM Cards

Postby lorddax » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:41 pm

UPDATED TO DISCUSS ANY NEW DGM CARDS

Something we have to worry about or no? What are the options?

The casting cost might keep this from being a hoser of the same scale that KFW was. But the detain may actually be more dangerous especially if feeding Revelation. What are removal options here? Rings in the boros decks?
Last edited by lorddax on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some men just want to watch the planes burn. . .and most of them are here.
FoS resident designer/codemonkey
MTGO:lorddax Cockatrice:lorddax

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:31 pm

Well, the things about her that make me less nervous:

- She costs 5, and isn't in ramp colors (though bant). Hopefully you've done enough already that you're about to win or you already did. Honestly I'd rather they cast this than Sphinx's Revelation, though of course they could Sphinx end of my turn then this.
- After detain she's just 1 creature. Most R/x decks have swarm strategies. If you can afford to lose a creature each attack, you can race this. If they attack with it, that's good for us because it's turned sideways during our attack step.

Mono-Red obviously has the least tools here. But there is Pyreheart Wolf and Madcap Skills to force multi-blocks. Hopefully you can assign all damage to the other blocker and still take out one of their creatures. Or you're just getting around her entirely.

Once you start splashing other colors there are more
answers, especially in white and black.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

lorddax
Tire Aficionado

Postby lorddax » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:24 pm

Good points.

Looking thru the rest these are really the only other two that make me think they would need answers.
ImageImage

Bane can come down in game 2 and hit almost everything in most of the aggro decks; with its spot at the CMC2 it might really blow up the tempo game of red decks. Against aggro its extra dspheres or orings. Tho the fact that it is an enchant means that its OC might be higher than Bant control would like. This getting slapped on a wolf could make things hard. Would the counter be hitting our own wolf?

Render I initally pointed out, but then again I suppose we make the standard play of making them have bad counter decisions. I do feel that this card
gets more dangerous as they get closer to sweeping, as it can prevent our decks from setting back up.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:17 pm

Render's at an odd casting cost for the matchup. We don't have too many plays on T3. Reckoner comes in against aggro, but this isn't an aggro matchup. Wolf helps us get through, and it would stink to see this eat a wolf, but it's not the end of the world.

I'd guess this will see more play on T4+. Hellrider is a good target for this. Falkenrath Aristocrat, Olivia, T-Maw Hellkite, etc.

Against BTE decks that chain off on T2 though, they're likely already on their heels by the time they counter with this.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Fri May 03, 2013 7:40 pm

What I really think needs to be discussed is how we're supposed to deal with Jund and Junk decks rocking out Putrefy

With Putrefy and abrupt decay, how useful is Reckoner going to be without haste?

Is Pyreheart wolf even more necessary now?

Does Reckoner still have a place on the SB against Naya or should we just switch to race mode against that deck?

I thought Armed//Dangerous might be playable with reckoner for huge blow-outs (make everyone block reckoner, get through with rest of team, redirect all damage to their face), but with even more removal for reckoner is it even worth relying on.

lorddax
Tire Aficionado

Postby lorddax » Fri May 03, 2013 7:56 pm

I think wolf is still a prime facilitator and even more so now with Putrefy running around. I think Hound may also make a comeback thanks to its undying trigger forcing them to use 2 or more cards on clearing it. Reckoner seems now to feel like he needs a shield to stay in play as many more decks now have removal for him at instant speed.

Return to “Archives”